Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did intentionally bad spelling become cool?

+15
Nordic
HT
Herbie Green
The_Dude
Green Note
MiamiSpartan
tTito
The Pantry
Ass Dan
tTy
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
steveschneider
19 posters

Go down

When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? Empty When did intentionally bad spelling become cool?

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-12, 09:59

Serious question, when and how did this very popular trend start?

I see it every where; comment sections, forums, the other day I was playing chess on the iphone and my opponent wrote 'fack you' to try to throw me off my game.

It was cool when that one hick wrote 'morans' on that sign. But it is a little played out at this point.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? Empty Re: When did intentionally bad spelling become cool?

Post by InTenSity 2015-03-12, 10:01

Texting and online gaming.

Texting with the old phone, juts coming up with ways to keep the text readable but short.

Gaming has a lot of acronyms. I played EQ for 4 or 5 years, and I think there was almost a whole other language for that game.

Those would be my guesses. Anything in which you need to communicate quickly or with limited space.

Twitter certainly hasn't helped things out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? Empty Re: When did intentionally bad spelling become cool?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-03-12, 10:06

If intentionally bad spelling is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

-anonymous dipshit Swill poster whose name rhymes with ranch
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-03-12, 10:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:If intentionally bad spelling is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

Don't you do phonetics?

There was also 1337 5p34k, which at one time I knew as well.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-12, 10:11

maybe I'm just the old "get off my lawn" guy, but text-speak drives me crazy.. I don't mind abbreviations so much like "I'll be there in 30 min".. but the rest of it can suck a bag of lemons.

the worst is getting emails from colleagues, adults.. or students - anyone who should know better in a somewhat professional communication - writing in text speak.. Evil or Very Mad
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-03-12, 10:17

THRU has been a standard callout for engineering drawings for many years.

.438 DIA x .250 DEEP
.281 DIA THRU

Did it all start there?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-03-12, 10:20

I blame Ebonics.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-03-12, 10:21

Bad spelling fo lyfe
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-03-12, 10:23

Ass Dan wrote:Bad spelling fo lyfe

YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-12, 10:24

InTenSity wrote:Texting and online gaming.

Texting with the old phone, juts coming up with ways to keep the text readable but short.

Gaming has a lot of acronyms. I played EQ for 4 or 5 years, and I think there was almost a whole other language for that game.

Those would be my guesses. Anything in which you need to communicate quickly or with limited space.

Yeah, probably about being ironic too...like the hipster that wears a David Hasselhoff t shirt around not because they're a fan but because it's an inside joke.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-03-12, 10:29

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:THRU has been a standard callout for engineering drawings for many years.

.438 DIA x .250 DEEP
.281 DIA THRU

Did it all start there?
Generally, the THRU hole should be first in the callout  When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? Profes10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-03-12, 10:31

The Pantry wrote:
Generally, the THRU hole should be first in the callout  When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? Profes10

I leave that shit up to the drafters these days. When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? 502811600

But yes, you're right. I should know better.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2015-03-12, 10:37; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-03-12, 10:35

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I leave that shit up to the drafters these days. When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? 502811600
Unfortunately there are no drafters anymore, only tube jockeys.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-03-12, 10:45

The Pantry wrote:Unfortunately there are no drafters anymore, only tube jockeys.

Kids these days have no idea what life was like on a board. Making me miss the blueprint room and the overpowering stench of ammonia.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-12, 11:06

Blanch started it when he joined the RCMB in 2003.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-03-12, 11:35

InTenSity wrote:Texting and online gaming.

Hell, Twitter has made it worse.

I get the thing about reducing the letters, but what the fuck is up with "MOAR"? Or like the OP's post, where some said "fack" you. If you're not saving your limited number of text/tweet characters, WTF is the point?

BTW, abbreviations are OK.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2015-03-12, 11:37

Requiring proper spelling and grammar is discriminatory.
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-03-12, 11:37

Social media has been the downfall of our culture.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2015-03-12, 11:37

Requiring proper spelling and grammar is discriminatory.
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-03-12, 11:46

I think you meant to ask when it became "kewl"
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-03-12, 12:07

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Kids these days have no idea what life was like on a board. Making me miss the blueprint room and the overpowering stench of ammonia.
Not me. Started running prints on a high school coop job. The print room had a tiny fan stuck in the exterior wall that was useless. Felt like I could hardly breathe some days when there was lots of stuff to run. Paper cuts always suck but the damn ammonia fumes would get in and make them even worse. Always hated changing the jug
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-12, 12:09

Herbie Green wrote:I think you meant to ask when it became "kewl"

The city of NYC distributes condoms at bars called NYC Condoms and their new larger one is called 'Kyng" sized.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-12, 12:49

Huuked on fonics dun gud four me
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-03-12, 13:26

SpartanHT wrote:Huuked on fonics dun gud four me

The sad part is that years of reading Blanch posts has trained me to read that sentence effortlessly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-03-12, 15:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:If intentionally bad spelling is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

Intentionally spelling "fack you" is cool. Spelling seriously as "fuRiously"... not so much.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-03-12, 15:18

I'm always shocked how many purported MSU grads over the RCMB have no idea how to properly use an apostrophe.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-03-12, 15:23

Herbie Green wrote:I think you meant to ask when it became "kewl"

ax
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-12, 21:00

tTito wrote:Blanch started it when he joined the RCMB in 2003.

I thought I just got progressively worse.

Look here's the thing: I don't give a fuck. Cool or not spelling is like cursive to me--dead
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-03-12, 21:11

Serious question blanch. Do you try harder to spell correctly and write coherent sentences when you send work emails?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-12, 21:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Serious question blanch. Do you try harder to spell correctly and write coherent sentences when you send work emails?

Yea dude. I got a perfect score on the writing portion of the GMAT and sucked dick on the rest of the sections. Here's the think; good writing takes time.....and a real keyboard
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-03-12, 21:32

So you post exclusively from your phone and just don't care to correct mistakes. Makes sense.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-13, 09:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:So you post exclusively from your phone and just don't care to correct mistakes. Makes sense.

Yes dude. I got a life to live. Plus I learned my lesson and don't want any employer to read m
This shit
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-13, 09:31

steveschneider wrote:Serious question, when and how did this very popular trend start?

I see it every where; comment sections, forums, the other day I was playing chess on the iphone and my opponent wrote 'fack you' to try to throw me off my game.

It was cool when that one hick wrote 'morans' on that sign. But it is a little played out at this point.

Intentionally spelling incorrectly would be grammatically superior to "bad spelling."
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-03-13, 10:11

Blanch32 wrote:

Yea dude. I ... sucked dick ... good...

Paraphrasing...
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-03-13, 11:44

Eye dont no.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-03-13, 12:54

When did intentionally bad spelling become cool? C17
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-13, 13:49

tTito wrote:

Intentionally spelling incorrectly would be grammatically superior to "bad spelling."

I considered it, but I thought that was a little too pedantic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down