Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas

+17
beal99
Bizarro Fletch
Blanch32
MiamiSpartan
The_Dude
Rodeo Burger
LoneWolfSparty
Ass Dan
kingstonlake
HT
InTenSity
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
21 posters

Go down

True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas Empty True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-07, 00:52

True.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas Empty Re: True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-04-07, 01:07

No. I love Tum and his potential but from what I can gather he was never a primary scorer. Guys like Kalin and Appling were absolute scoring assassins (when healthy) who could score from inside or outside. I'm definitely salty right now because of Saturday but I firmly believe that with a healthy Lucas and/or Appling we win the National Title in 2010 and/or 2014.

Tum may learn to knock down that shot, and I think he will, but he's never going to be a 'scoring' PG.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas Empty Re: True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas

Post by The Pantry 2015-04-07, 01:36

Tough to learn shooting. Rip Hamilton didn't get decent at 3 pointers until a few years after the '04 championship
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-04-07, 02:56

he could score at will with a runner
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-04-07, 03:11

CORNER BLITZ wrote:he could score at will with a runner

I scored at will in college and I was a dribbler.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-04-07, 08:07

Tum Tum is going to be our Ty Lawson
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-07, 08:24

If Tum Tum gets a shot, he'll be lethal. Especially if he can develop an outside shot, teams right now basically go 5 on 4 when we were on offense. I look forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-07, 08:31

I don't think so. I know the potential is there, but I think Tum Tum is ultimately the type of PG that'll distribute the ball around a lot and facilitate the offense instead of being the kind that can be a scorer. Even if he develops a jumper, I just think he just instinctively would distribute the ball around first.

And that's fine with me. I think we have a lot of other nice pieces on this team, although I do hope Tum Tum slashes to the basket a bit more next year, because he has great speed and it'd help us out in drawing fouls.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-07, 08:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No. I love Tum and his potential but from what I can gather he was never a primary scorer. Guys like Kalin and Appling were absolute scoring assassins (when healthy) who could score from inside or outside. I'm definitely salty right now because of Saturday but I firmly believe that with a healthy Lucas and/or Appling we win the National Title in 2010 and/or 2014.

Tum may learn to knock down that shot, and I think he will, but he's never going to be a 'scoring' PG.

Disagree. I'd argue an injured Appling help develop trice and aid in a final four run this year.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-04-07, 08:38

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Tum Tum is going to be our Ty Lawson

Pick a different guy. Ty Lawson is a bowling ball
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-04-07, 08:40

kingstonlake wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No. I love Tum and his potential but from what I can gather he was never a primary scorer. Guys like Kalin and Appling were absolute scoring assassins (when healthy) who could score from inside or outside. I'm definitely salty right now because of Saturday but I firmly believe that with a healthy Lucas and/or Appling we win the National Title in 2010 and/or 2014.

Disagree. I'd argue an injured Appling help develop trice and aid in a final four run this year.

Your point doesn't combat his. Tum is a Travis Walton type guy. Walton led us to a final four with his ramped up defense and toughness at the end of 2009.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-04-07, 10:26

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:he could score at will with a runner

I scored at will in college and I was a dribbler.

What does wetting the bed have to do with shooting in basketball??
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-04-07, 10:47

I want to see him drive the lane, then throw the ball really hard off the back board. The defense will have collapsed, and then the ball careens out to someone at the top of the key for a wide open look at a 3 pointer.

As for the OP's question. No, every player is different. Tum is a leader and facilitator primarily. Many, many players would be All World if they could just add 2 major skill sets to their game, but it's not so easy to do.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-04-07, 10:59

Tum is going to start making shots dudes. He has nice form. Just needs more reps. He's never going to be Bryn Forbes but he will improve to where defenses don't sag off of him the way they did this year.

I still don't see him ever being a finisher at the rim the way Appling and Lucas were.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-07, 11:06

We will see. With Eron Harris for two years and MSU in a strong spot to land Winston in 2016, Tum may never be a full time starter.

It all will hinge upon how well he develops his game. If he can never be at least an adequate shooter and never figures out how to finish at the rim and get fouled he's going to be very limited.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-07, 12:14

How will learning how to finish and develop a jumper impact his speed? True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas 2599972566
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-07, 13:35

MiamiSpartan wrote:How will learning how to finish and develop a jumper impact his speed? True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas 2599972566

Speed means nothing unless you have skills to make it work. If he uses his speed to get looks either for short jumpers in the lane or to get to the hoop you need to finish.

The kid seems extremely motivated so I think he will get better on offense.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-07, 14:02

The_Dude wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:How will learning how to finish and develop a jumper impact his speed? True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas 2599972566

Speed means nothing unless you have skills to make it work. If he uses his speed to get looks either for short jumpers in the lane or to get to the hoop you need to finish.

The kid seems extremely motivated so I think he will get better on offense.
Yes, I know, but it doesn't make you faster. I was just twisting the wording of the subject as a lame joke attempt.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-07, 14:03

Doubtful. We had Dawson for 4 years and he never once learned to shoot a j.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-07, 14:09

He's already faster. He just needs some offensive tools
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-07, 16:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Tum is going to start making shots dudes. He has nice form. Just needs more reps. He's never going to be Bryn Forbes but he will improve to where defenses don't sag off of him the way they did this year.

I still don't see him ever being a finisher at the rim the way Appling and Lucas were.

This I could see happening. Hopefully he has a good summer.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-04-07, 16:56

Yeah....no. Other than size and speed, Lucas and Tum Tum are polar opposite players. KLIF was a scorer in a point guard's body. He could shoot from pretty much anywhere and score at the basket. Tum Tum can do neither dependably right now, and very few players can miraculously develop those kinds of elite skills in a few off months.

I expect he will focus on making his 15-foot jumper more dependable this summer. But if he defends, breaks down defenses off the dribble, and can distribute without turning the ball over, he will more than fulfill what we need from him. This team should not lack for scoring next season.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2015-04-07, 18:52

TTLRNJRIF
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-07, 19:22

Lucas was 6'1" and Big Ten Player of the Year.

I don't see it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-04-07, 19:28

False.  With all the love in the world to KLIF, he was not the leader that Tum already is.  With all the love in the world to Tum, he is not the stone-cold assassin with the ball in his hand that KLIF was, basically from his sophomore year on.  

They each have their strengths.  I think we will get farther with a developing Tum than we did with KLIF (yes, I'm saying CHAMPIONSHIP).  True or False: If Tum tum learns how to finish and develop a jumper.. faster Kalin Lucas IbmO6LORh2NBXI

As you were.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-07, 20:00

Blanch32 wrote:Doubtful. We had Dawson for 4 years and he never once learned to shoot a j.

We should have run that cat off, he held the program back.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-04-07, 20:37

Like someone else said... I see more Travis Walton, my 2nd favorite Spartan bballer of all time (love that guy), than KLIF.

But if he's giving us Travis Walton 2.0... that's a pretty damn good resume to be proud of.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-04-07, 21:21

Ass Dan wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Tum Tum is going to be our Ty Lawson

Pick a different guy. Ty Lawson is a bowling ball

Dee Brown.

If Tum can develop a reliable floater and a 15-18 footer, he's got the handles to be an unstoppable slash-and-kick guy. He doesn't really need 3 point range, though it would help. FTs will be more important for him than 3s.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down