Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

+23
Blanch32
Snake Plissken
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jethro Bodeen
DoogieHouser
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
HT
Marc Summers
SpartanInNH
Herbie Green
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
Giant Moose
NigelUno
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease Empty Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 12:51

Oh my....

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/04/28/tigers-world-series-hero-gibson-has-parkinsons/26513135/

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/04/28/kirk-gibson-parkinsons-disease-tigers/26512119/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease Empty Re: Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-28, 12:52

ESPN.   Suspect

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease Mlb_a_atramm6_cr_1296x729
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease Empty Re: Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-28, 12:56

No wonder Tram didn't get in the Hall. The ESPN writers thought they were voting for Kirk Gibson.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 12:59

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-28, 13:04

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 7647129
So glad he got to celebrate the Rose Bowl victory while he was still healthy.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 13:37

I love the videos they included.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-04-28, 13:44

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Whatever ESPN f'd up, they've fixed it.

ps. this dumb cockholster from the comments needs a wake-up call.
Ruth H. Lamb
Sta­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­t w­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­ng­­­­­­­­ a­­­­­­­­t h­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­m­­­­­­­­e w­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­h G­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­g­­­­­­­­l­­­­­­­­e! I­­­­­­­­t’s b­­­­­­­­y-f­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­ t­­­­h­­­­e­­­­ b­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­­­s­­­­t ­­­­j­­­­­­­­o­­­­b ­­­­I’­­­­v­­­­­­­­e h­­­­­­­­a­­­­d. L­­­­­­­­a­­­­s­­­­t­­­­ T­­­­h­­­­­­­­u­­­­r­­­­­­­­s­­­­d­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­y ­­­­I ­­­­­­­­g­­­­­­­­o­­­­t­­­­ a b­­­­­­­­ra­­­­­­­­nd n­­­­­­­­ew B­­­­­­­­M­­­­­­­­W si­­­­­­­­nce g­­­­­­­­ett­­­­­­­­ing a ch­­­­­­­­eck f­­­­­­­­or $8­­­­­­­­56­­­­­­­­1 t­­­­­­­­hi­­­­­­­­s - 8 w­­­­­­­­ee­­­­­­­­ks p­­­­­­­­ast. I b­­­­­­­­eg­­­­­­­­an t­­­­­­­­his 8-mo­­­­­­­­nt­­­­­­­­h­­­­s a­­­­­­­­go a­­­­­­­­n­­­­d i­­­­m­­­­­­­­m­­­­e­­­­d­­­­­­­­i­­­­a­­­­t­­­­­­­­e­­­­l­­­­y ­­­­­­­­w­­­­a­­­­s­­­­­­­­ br­­­­­­­­ing­­­­­­­­ing­­­­­­­­ home­­­­­­­­ at­­­­­­­­least­­­­­­­­ $87­­­­­­­­ p­­­­er­­­­­­­­ h­­­­o­­­­u­­­­r­­­­­­­­. I w­­­­­­­­o­­­­r­­­­k t­­­­h­­­­­­­­rou­­­­­­­­gh t­­­­­­­­his l­­­­­­­­ink­­­­­­­­, go.to ­­­­­­­­tech­­­­­­­­ta­­­­­­­­b fo­­­­­­­­r wo­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­k d­­­­et­­­­ai­­­­l...
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-04-28, 13:46

He did not look or sound good when he was on Opening Day.  A friend and I speculated something was going on.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 13:46

Floyd Robertson wrote:Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Whatever ESPN f'd up, they've fixed it.

ps. this dumb cockholster from the comments needs a wake-up call.
Ruth H. Lamb
Sta­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­t w­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­k­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­ng­­­­­­­­ a­­­­­­­­t h­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­m­­­­­­­­e w­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­h G­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­g­­­­­­­­l­­­­­­­­e! I­­­­­­­­t’s b­­­­­­­­y-f­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­ t­­­­h­­­­e­­­­ b­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­­­s­­­­t ­­­­j­­­­­­­­o­­­­b ­­­­I’­­­­v­­­­­­­­e h­­­­­­­­a­­­­d. L­­­­­­­­a­­­­s­­­­t­­­­ T­­­­h­­­­­­­­u­­­­r­­­­­­­­s­­­­d­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­y ­­­­I ­­­­­­­­g­­­­­­­­o­­­­t­­­­ a b­­­­­­­­ra­­­­­­­­nd n­­­­­­­­ew B­­­­­­­­M­­­­­­­­W si­­­­­­­­nce g­­­­­­­­ett­­­­­­­­ing a ch­­­­­­­­eck f­­­­­­­­or $8­­­­­­­­56­­­­­­­­1 t­­­­­­­­hi­­­­­­­­s - 8 w­­­­­­­­ee­­­­­­­­ks p­­­­­­­­ast. I b­­­­­­­­eg­­­­­­­­an t­­­­­­­­his 8-mo­­­­­­­­nt­­­­­­­­h­­­­s a­­­­­­­­go a­­­­­­­­n­­­­d i­­­­m­­­­­­­­m­­­­e­­­­d­­­­­­­­i­­­­a­­­­t­­­­­­­­e­­­­l­­­­y ­­­­­­­­w­­­­a­­­­s­­­­­­­­ br­­­­­­­­ing­­­­­­­­ing­­­­­­­­ home­­­­­­­­ at­­­­­­­­least­­­­­­­­ $87­­­­­­­­ p­­­­er­­­­­­­­ h­­­­o­­­­u­­­­r­­­­­­­­. I w­­­­­­­­o­­­­r­­­­k t­­­­h­­­­­­­­rou­­­­­­­­gh t­­­­­­­­his l­­­­­­­­ink­­­­­­­­, go.to ­­­­­­­­tech­­­­­­­­ta­­­­­­­­b fo­­­­­­­­r wo­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­k d­­­­et­­­­ai­­­­l...

No shit. A brand new BMW for 8,561 dollars? Please.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-28, 13:56

This sucks. I have seen my dad suffer with this the last few years. Coincidentally, Kirk Gibson in 1978 was my first memories of MSU football and then he represented the only period of my life I was a baseball fan in the 80s.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-04-28, 18:05

LooseGoose wrote:

Damn, Gibby breaking people's arms. Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 502811600

Yeah, my mother has Parkinson's, and it sucks. Hope Gibby hangs in there long enough to get some effective treatment for it.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-04-28, 20:08

Giant Moose wrote:Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 7647129
So glad he got to celebrate the Rose Bowl victory while he was still healthy.

I'm guessing he had Parkinson's at the Rose Bowl, and he's not unhealthy now.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-28, 20:31

Guy is a great Spartan and has seemed to always support and give back to our university (believe he donated everything he had from the 1988 World Series for MSU scholarship funds).

I really hope he can somehow tackle this disease.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-28, 20:53

Watched a YouTube video of him getting ejected in 11'. You can tell he's frail and has trouble moving his left arm. Made me very sad. He was my first Spartan hero and was indestructible. Sucks.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-28, 22:00

So you have to think he might have been diagnosed years ago. The dangling arm I think is a dead give away.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-10-15, 12:47

Really, really good read on Gibby and his fight.....

Kirk Gibson on His Parkinson's Disease Fight: 'It's Not a Death Sentence'

NOVI, Mich. — On the front door of his Michigan home hangs a wreath streaked with golds and reds, matching the leaves on the changing trees surrounding it.

Inside, the man who tore through Octobers past by smashing two of the most dramatic World Series home runs of our time answers the doorbell by yanking open the door and practically leaping into view, devilish grin, twinkling eyes, greeting a visitor as if teasing a trick-or-treater.

"Aaaaaahhhhahhhhhahhhh!"

Except, this has nothing to do with Halloween.

It is a brisk autumn evening, and Kirk Gibson is in a place he never dreamed of being, waging a battle he never planned on fighting and surrounded not by teammates and postseason scouting reports, but by a loving family and a crack team of doctors and therapists.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-10-15, 13:11

I still think Gibson was brought into the announcer's booth to have him close by as a replacement for Ausmus and the his diagnosis changed everything.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-10-15, 13:15

Undeniably, one of the all-time great Spartans. Also, undeniably one of the biggest fuckwads in pro and/or collegiate athletics. A complete jackass.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-10-15, 15:19

tGreenWay wrote:Undeniably, one of the all-time great Spartans. Also, undeniably one of the biggest fuckwads in pro and/or collegiate athletics. A complete jackass.

This won't be popular but it is spot-on.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-10-15, 15:22

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Undeniably, one of the all-time great Spartans. Also, undeniably one of the biggest fuckwads in pro and/or collegiate athletics. A complete jackass.

why won't it be popular?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-10-15, 15:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

why won't it be popular?

This is a SPARTAN message board, Bob. If you don't like it, you can git out!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-10-15, 16:39

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:why won't it be popular?

This is a SPARTAN message board, Bob. If you don't like it, you can git out!
Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-10-15, 17:20

duffy munn wrote:

I always cheered for him in EL, Detroit, and LA. I still have probably a half-dozen balls he sent into the RCR at Kobs. It's fans who paid his salary, and he consistently shit all over them. I hope he lives a long life with as little effect as possible from the Parkinson's, but fuck him.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-10-15, 17:37

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I always cheered for him in EL, Detroit, and LA. I still have probably a half-dozen balls he sent into the RCR at Kobs. It's fans who paid his salary, and he consistently shit all over them. I hope he lives a long life with as little effect as possible from the Parkinson's, but fuck him.

He dated my sisters roommate at MSU. Arrogant back then.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-10-15, 18:35

LooseGoose wrote:
One of the truly monumental moments of my childhood. I was 11 (almost 12). What a great age to have your favorite team win it all. I could do a damn fine imitation of every player's batting stance (still remember each of their stances, too).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-10-15, 18:42

Gibson wasn't a dumb jock. I had a couple of classes with him at MSU. But he was a guy who had never seen failure in any sport he tried. I truly think he could have been a 3 sport athlete like Brad VanPelt if he had given basketball the same attention he gave football and baseball.

Successful people often ciome across as arrogant because very few things have ever blown up in their faces.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-10-15, 19:25

GRR Spartan wrote:Gibson wasn't a dumb jock. I had a couple of classes with him at MSU. But he was a guy who had never seen failure in any sport he tried. I truly think he could have been a 3 sport athlete like Brad VanPelt if he had given basketball the same attention he gave football and baseball.

Successful people often ciome across as arrogant because very few things have ever blown up in their faces.

No one is questioning Gibby's god given talent.

Sorry but the guy is a dick. Always has been.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-10-15, 19:34

GRR Spartan wrote:Gibson wasn't a dumb jock. I had a couple of classes with him at MSU. But he was a guy who had never seen failure in any sport he tried. I truly think he could have been a 3 sport athlete like Brad VanPelt if he had given basketball the same attention he gave football and baseball.

I've heard gibson is an ass. Don't care. I love what the guy does on the booth and on the field.

Some people are just best appreciated from afar. Great article loosegoose!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-10-15, 19:39

I don’t know if I should choose to believe he is an asshole. He was my childhood sports hero along with Magic. All I have is great memories
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-04, 12:33

Kirk Gibson on Parkinson's battle: 'I want people to see what's going to happen'

"I had a choice to make," he said. "Do I get reclusive or do I bring it up front? And I chose to be vocal about it."

Gibson, who was the keynote speaker at the West Michigan Sports Commission luncheon and announced the "re-purposing" of his foundation to finding a cure for the disease, said being a part-time Tigers analyst on Fox Sports Detroit is part of being in the public.

"I want people to see what's going to happen to me," he said. "People remember me for many of the good things I did on the football field or baseball field and championship games and pressure situations. But I have a new normal now. So it's different and that's why I've chosen to be public about it."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-05-04, 12:55

That explains some of those shaky moves he made as the Diamondbacks manager.

Too soon?
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-04, 13:13

Dr. Strangelove wrote:That explains some of those shaky moves he made as the Diamondbacks manager.

Too soon?

Nah....I think he'd laugh.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2016-05-04, 16:04

Herbie Green wrote:This sucks. I have seen my dad suffer with this the last few years. Coincidentally, Kirk Gibson in 1978 was my first memories of MSU football and then he represented the only period of my life I was a baseball fan in the 80s.

We must be about the same age Herbie. 1978 was my first year of watching MSU football....Gibson, Byrd, Smith, Bass, Brammer....
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2016-05-04, 17:14

Herbie Green wrote:I don’t know if I should choose to believe he is an asshole.  He was my childhood sports hero along with Magic. All I have is great memories

He is not a gracious person. Not one ounce. I fully understand putting up some defenses after being constantly hassled by adoring fans, but he's always been a petulant jerk since is early MSU days. (*** WARNING: COOL STORY TO FOLLOW- BRO***) I remember when I was in high school in about 1977 or so, I worked at a grocery store where our Budweiser Rep was a recent MSU grad that had also been an MSU wrestler. He also had been a  bouncer at Dooleys. We were talking about MSU football and Gibson and he was telling me what an asshole he was. One story was that when Gibson was a freshman, he was trying to get into Dooleys and it was at capacity. Gibson was being a jerk and doing the "Don't you know who I am? I'm Kirk-fucking-Gibson!" bullshit. The Budweiser driver/MSU wrestler guy didn't let him in and Gibby had a tantrum(*** END OF COOL STORY- BRO**) So obviously, Gibson likes the part of notoriety that can get him favors but not the obligation to be gracious. Not everyone can be an Izzo, or a Magic Johnson, but Gibson makes Nick Saban look like a people person- and that says a lot. However- doesn't make Gibby a bad guy- he's just an asshole. Again- I'm sure its exasperating to be stopped 100 times a day by people saying Go Green, wanting selfies and telling him all about their favorite Gibby sports moments, as if he wasn't there himself. I'd snap too after a while.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-04, 17:59

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:I don’t know if I should choose to believe he is an asshole.  He was my childhood sports hero along with Magic. All I have is great memories

He is not a gracious person. Not one ounce. I fully understand putting up some defenses after being constantly hassled by adoring fans, but he's always been a petulant jerk since is early MSU days. (*** WARNING: COOL STORY TO FOLLOW- BRO***) I remember when I was in high school in about 1977 or so, I worked at a grocery store where our Budweiser Rep was a recent MSU grad that had also been an MSU wrestler. He also had been a  bouncer at Dooleys. We were talking about MSU football and Gibson and he was telling me what an asshole he was. One story was that when Gibson was a freshman, he was trying to get into Dooleys and it was at capacity. Gibson was being a jerk and doing the "Don't you know who I am? I'm Kirk-fucking-Gibson!" bullshit. The Budweiser driver/MSU wrestler guy didn't let him in and Gibby had a tantrum(*** END OF COOL STORY- BRO**) So obviously, Gibson likes the part of notoriety that can get him favors but not the obligation to be gracious. Not everyone can be an Izzo, or a Magic Johnson, but Gibson makes Nick Saban look like a people person- and that says a lot. However- doesn't make Gibby a bad guy- he's just an asshole. Again- I'm sure its exasperating to be stopped 100 times a day by people saying Go Green, wanting selfies and telling him all about their favorite Gibby sports moments, as if he wasn't there himself. I'd snap too after a while.

Kinda tough to judge a man based on a story that happened 40 years ago when he was 18.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-04, 18:07

LooseGoose wrote:
Jethro Bodeen wrote:

Kinda tough to judge a man based on a story that happened 40 years ago when he was 18.

Except every story about Gibson sounds remarkably similar at every stage of his adult life, including my own contact and observations. He's a fucking asshole and always has been. Nothing more to see here. We can all move along.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2016-05-04, 21:17

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Except every story about Gibson sounds remarkably similar at every stage of his adult life, including my own contact and observations. He's a fucking asshole and always has been. Nothing more to see here. We can all move along.

Exactly my point. I had no idea he was a complete, sullen, asshole jerk back then. I just loved how he played football. I was surprised to hear he was such a fuck-stick. And everything I've ever heard from fellow players to my brother that was his next door neighbor is that he isn't mr warmth. But again, everyone can't be an Izzo and if Gibby stopped and reminisced with every Save-a Lot Spartan or Tiger Fan that recognized him, and wanted to make small talk, he'd have no life. You have to draw the line somewhere and obviously Gibby draws it very close to himself. That and he's a prick. But he's our prick. ( I know that sounds bad)
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-05-04, 21:22

I actually thought I have heard that Gibby has realized the error of his ways and has been trying to make up for lost ground for the past ~ 15-20 years. Who knows. I know he was cool to me at the Palace 15 years ago. I know he was cool to a couple of buddies who ran into him at some dinner reception in Rochester ~ 5 years ago. I know he told one of my best buddies to "fuck off" circa 1984 when he as a 9 year old had the gall to ask him for an autograph in the parking lot of a K-mart downriver.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-05-04, 21:36

Wasn't Gibson pretty involved in some MSU fundraising efforts?

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2016-05-04, 21:37

Dr. Strangelove wrote:That explains some of those shaky moves he made as the Diamondbacks manager.

Too soon?
Too soon
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next