Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

+23
Blanch32
Snake Plissken
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jethro Bodeen
DoogieHouser
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
HT
Marc Summers
SpartanInNH
Herbie Green
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
Giant Moose
NigelUno
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - Page 2 Empty Re: Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-04, 21:45

It sucks that Gibby is sick and I really hope he finds a way to beat this or at least keep it at bay.

But, sorry, the guy is and has always been a dick. An example of a few years ago is Gibby calling another former football player to raise money for MSU. He asked the guy for 50k. Now, this player does NOT have 50 grand to donate. He is not a millionaire pro ball player and has a young family. He told Kirk he could do 5k. Well, Gibby ripped him a new asshole. Called him a fucking pussy and told him he would let everyone in the football program know he doesn't give a shit about MSU.

My buddy that was called out, the most laid back dude I have ever known, told Gibson he was sorry but 5k was really all he could do. Gibby told him to jam the 5 grand up his ass and never show his face around the Duffy building again.

Yeah, Gibby is a dick.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - Page 2 Empty Re: Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-04, 21:47

Herbie Green wrote:Wasn't Gibson pretty involved in some MSU fundraising efforts?

Yes. See my post on page 2.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2016-05-04, 21:49

duffy munn wrote:It sucks that Gibby is sick and I really hope he finds a way to beat this
How is he going to beat Parkinson's?
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-05-04, 21:56

duffy munn wrote:
But, sorry, the guy is and has always been a dick. An example of a few years ago is Gibby calling another former football player to raise money for MSU. He asked the guy for 50k. Now, this player does NOT have 50 grand to donate. He is not a millionaire pro ball player and has a young family. He told Kirk he could do 5k. Well, Gibby ripped him a new asshole. Called him a fucking pussy and told him he would let everyone in the football program know he doesn't give a shit about MSU.

My buddy that was called out, the most laid back dude I have ever known, told Gibson he was sorry but 5k was really all he could do. Gibby told him to jam the 5 grand up his ass and never show his face around the Duffy building again.

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - Page 2 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-05-04, 22:04

College roommate went to high school with him and said he was pretty cocky. Pure jock and very talented.

Didn't buy a student season ticket until sophomore year in '78. Complete shame we were under sanction that year and video footage of what that team did is mostly non-existent. Gibson was a huge part of how great that team was.

Really wanted to see him play in the NFL. He had a blend of size and speed not known back then.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-05-04, 23:05

duffy munn wrote:It sucks that Gibby is sick and I really hope he finds a way to beat this or at least keep it at bay.

Yeah, Gibby is a dick.

I am calling bs on this story
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-04, 23:25

Herbie Green wrote:
duffy munn wrote:It sucks that Gibby is sick and I really hope he finds a way to beat this or at least keep it at bay.

Yeah, Gibby is a dick.

I am calling bs on this story

Sorry but it's 100% true. I wish I was making it up.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-05, 00:49

gHost Spartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Sorry but it's 100% true. I wish I was making it up.

Whether the story is true or not is irrelevant to me. But I think that a lot of these guys are or can be dicks. When I was at MSU one of my buddies had a party and rented one of those giant bounce houses for kids and threw it in his backyard. There were three kegs with taps and everyone was having a great time. Football team showed up and started grabbing chicks asses in the bounce houses and they stole the taps off the kegs. They were the biggest assholes on the planet. There were also a bunch of football players in my film history class and those guys were dicks too. No respect at all for the teacher or the class, they just acted like jackasses. One of the guys in that class was the player that was drafted by the Cowboys and went insane, can't remember his name now.

But Muffy, let's be honest here - you have no real evidence that the Gibby story is true. That's a story that was relayed to you by someone else. I'd object in court because it's hearsay that those statements would be excluded.

The dude Gibby solicited is a good friend. I believe him and really don't care if anyone here "objects".

I met Kirk Gibson in 1977 when he was dating my sisters roommate. My sister was also dating an MSU baseball player. Gibby was a pompous dick then. Not hearsay but rather a first hand account.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-05, 00:58

gHost Spartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

The dude Gibby solicited is a good friend. I believe him and really don't care if anyone here "objects".

I met Kirk Gibson in 1977 when he was dating my sisters roommate. My sister was also dating an MSU baseball player. Gibby was a pompous dick then. Not hearsay but rather a first hand account.

Okay fair enough but you still don't have any first hand knowledge. The entire story could have either been fabricated or embellished by your friend and even you would admit that you wouldn't bet your life on the alleged truth of the story as presented in this forum.

If you knew my buddy, you would know he never fabricated or embellished anything. Let alone this. Salt of the earth dude, mellow and totally laid back. He was stunned that a fellow Spartan athlete would take this tact.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-05-05, 01:03

duffy munn wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Okay fair enough but you still don't have any first hand knowledge. The entire story could have either been fabricated or embellished by your friend and even you would admit that you wouldn't bet your life on the alleged truth of the story as presented in this forum.

If you knew my buddy, you would know he never fabricated or embellished anything. Let alone this. Salt of the earth dude, mellow and totally laid back. He was stunned that a fellow Spartan athlete would take this tact.

We need names
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-05, 07:55

Yeah, Gibby is a dick.

Sorry Gibby was a dick to Orlando Woolridge
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-05, 07:57

duffy munn wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Whether the story is true or not is irrelevant to me. But I think that a lot of these guys are or can be dicks. When I was at MSU one of my buddies had a party and rented one of those giant bounce houses for kids and threw it in his backyard. There were three kegs with taps and everyone was having a great time. Football team showed up and started grabbing chicks asses in the bounce houses and they stole the taps off the kegs. They were the biggest assholes on the planet. There were also a bunch of football players in my film history class and those guys were dicks too. No respect at all for the teacher or the class, they just acted like jackasses. One of the guys in that class was the player that was drafted by the Cowboys and went insane, can't remember his name now.

But Muffy, let's be honest here - you have no real evidence that the Gibby story is true. That's a story that was relayed to you by someone else. I'd object in court because it's hearsay that those statements would be excluded.

Your sister dated Steve garvey?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-05, 08:54

Blanch32 wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Your sister dated Steve garvey?

Seeing that Garvey made his in major league debut in 1969 and was living in LA in 1977, no.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 09:10

duffy munn wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

You should take ghost's advice. He's kind of an expert in fabricating/embellishing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-05-05, 09:12

Brother was on that team in 77 with Gibson. Cut to the 90's, I'm on line in St. Clair Shores at the sec of state. He was behind me. So, I turn around, say "hey Gibby you remember >>>>>>>" and I say my brothers name (brother was a walk on). He says to me "Why the fuck wouldn't I?!". I was trying to make small talk and fuck it I thought. I just turned around understanding that he didn't want to be bugged. Felt stupid standing there.

years later, Sunday night, Gibson, I believe was the batting coach for the Tigers at the time. Wife and I celebrating our anniversary that fell on a Sunday. We're in Shores in in St. Clair Shores. This time we're the only two sitting at the bar at like 9:30 maybe. He walks in and sits right at the bar one seat away from us. I have my Spartan ring on. He sees it and starts a conversation "Hey Spartan". I think they had won by like 8 runs that day. It was August 21st. Anyway, I say hey Gibby my brother and a guy named Hans Nielson who my dad brought down to MSU were on the team with you at MSU. He hears the "brother" part and the "Hans Nielson" part and says "Your from Denmark?" My wife and I start laughing. Then, it was a real nice conversation, as he was waiting for his burger.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-05-05, 09:25

Herbie Green wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

We need names

Not going to happen.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 09:47

duffy munn wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Was in this bar called Landshark after a football game in '88. Beat Northwestern or some great team. Then, this happened:

Bar got kinda loud. Buddy of mine looked non-enthused. I was like...Dude! Gibby just went yard! He was like...Gibby's a dick. I was like...yeah...but he just went yard!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-05-05, 10:09

Is that a true story or did Nigel just make the 3rd funny post in his career?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-05, 13:07

DWags wrote:Brother was on that team in 77 with Gibson. Cut to the 90's, I'm on line in St. Clair Shores at the sec of state. He was behind me. So, I turn around, say "hey Gibby you remember >>>>>>>" and I say my brothers name (brother was a walk on). He says to me "Why the fuck wouldn't I?!". I was trying to make small talk and fuck it I thought. I just turned around understanding that he didn't want to be bugged. Felt stupid standing there.

years later, Sunday night, Gibson, I believe was the batting coach for the Tigers at the time. Wife and I celebrating our anniversary that fell on a Sunday. We're in Shores in in St. Clair Shores. This time we're the only two sitting at the bar at like 9:30 maybe. He walks in and sits right at the bar one seat away from us. I have my Spartan ring on. He sees it and starts a conversation "Hey Spartan". I think they had won by like 8 runs that day. It was August 21st. Anyway, I say hey Gibby my brother and a guy named Hans Nielson who my dad brought down to MSU were on the team with you at MSU. He hears the "brother" part and the "Hans Nielson" part and says "Your from Denmark?" My wife and I start laughing. Then, it was a real nice conversation, as he was waiting for his burger.

You really wussed out man.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-30, 10:37

Gibson ‘blessed’ by response for charity golf event

Grand Blanc — The jokes still came easily for Kirk Gibson, the razzing of friends as they stood at the tee, swinging away and trying to knock a golf ball down the center of the fairway.

Gibson had the one-liners ready at Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club on Monday, site of the inaugural Kirk Gibson Golf Classic, an event designed to raise money to increase research and awareness of Parkinson’s disease.

The Tigers legend was diagnosed with the disease in April 2015, and since then has expanded the Kirk Gibson Foundation to attack the illness, pushing the ideas of collaboration and teamwork.

Monday’s event was just that, 144 golfers — many former teammates and friends — ready to do their part. And that meant hearing from Gibson, whether they were wearing a Michigan shirt like his friend Mike Jolly or hitting their tee shot on No. 1 a little off to the right and flirting with the trees like Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-23, 11:36

Good story on Gibby & Krause.

The Vertical‏Verified account @TheVertical 1h1 hour ago
More
The forgotten story of how Jerry Krause found 'The next Mickey Mantle.' @Lescarpenter on @TheVertical. https://yhoo.it/2ngAI3w

Long before his Michael Jordan days, Jerry Krause believed he had found the next Mickey Mantle

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - Page 2 C7m70bVWsAA5p22
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-23, 11:39

Gibby is going to be the commencement speaker at this spring's festivities.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-04, 12:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:Gibby is going to be the commencement speaker at this spring's festivities.

And Henning is writing about it.

Kirk Gibson’s message for grads: Challenge, overcome
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-05, 21:14

Michigan State‏ @Michigan_State 3h3 hours ago
More
Kirk Gibson to Michigan State grads: 'If you believe you can, you will' http://bit.ly/2qMKauy #Spartans

Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - Page 2 C_GIHPQUAAIK84m
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-05-06, 15:33

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Was in this bar called Landshark after a football game in '88.  Beat Northwestern or some great team.  Then, this happened:

Bar got kinda loud.  Buddy of mine looked non-enthused.  I was like...Dude!  Gibby just went yard!  He was like...Gibby's a dick.  I was like...yeah...but he just went yard!

#1) That is why Lasorda was a special manager.
#2) I think the prevailing wisdom is that Kirk can be a dick. But, most of us have a friend like him where it is what it is, and there are usually a number of positives to balance the negatives. Great in one sense and total dick in another. I think it depends on the audience. I would lay down coin that if you are in Kirk's inner circle, he would give the shirt off his back for you. And, if you are not, you can flip a coin on the impression he will leave behind.

SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-25, 09:22

Kirk Gibson and friends raises $1.2 million for Parkinson's research

Before the highly anticipated MSU vs. Notre Dame game and before Spartan, Tiger and Dodger legend, Kirk Gibson, took his place among the "Ring of Honor" at Spartan Stadium, "Gibby and Friends vs. Parky" announced on Saturday afternoon they raised $1.2 million to fund research through MSU's College of Human Medicine into Parkinson’s disease.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-25, 14:51

I still have a whole bunch of baseballs Gibby tagged into the Red Cedar during pregame batting practice. I don't know why I've even kept them, considering they were in bad shape to begin with and then wet and muddy. There's no way to prove Gibby hit any of them, even though a friend and I chased them down as he hit them out.

Good talk.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-21, 09:17

One of the best articles on Gibby I've ever read.

Tamed Fury: How Kirk Gibson Learned to Quell His Volcanic Ferocity After Years of Rage
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2018-07-21, 23:34

I was watching the tigers game a couple days ago and he was on. He sounded kind of slow and I thought maybe he was hit in the head one too many times. Guess this explains it
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-21, 23:38

tGreenWay wrote:I still have a whole bunch of baseballs Gibby tagged into the Red Cedar during pregame batting practice. I don't know why I've even kept them, considering they were in bad shape to begin with and then wet and muddy. There's no way to prove Gibby hit any of them, even though a friend and I chased them down as he hit them out.

Good talk.
Did you ever chase down his coke for him, too? If so, maybe I know you.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-23, 08:40

Nice article by Wojo...

Wojo: Parkinson's is Kirk Gibson's biggest battle
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2