Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving up cable, anyone else?

+18
Robert J Sakimano
tanfan!
tGreenWay
CORNER BLITZ
Herbie Green
StylesGShmooth
GRR Spartan
Blanch32
Jake from State Farm
Code_Warrior
Townie
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
Giant Moose
Watch Out Pylon!
75alum
AMwood
Green Note
22 posters

Go down

Giving up cable, anyone else? Empty Giving up cable, anyone else?

Post by Green Note 2015-04-29, 16:19

Decided no more GD tv for me. The cable is too damn high.

Anyone else given up satan's tool?

Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Giving up cable, anyone else? Empty Re: Giving up cable, anyone else?

Post by AMwood 2015-04-29, 16:25

gave it up this week when they jacked my rates up without warning. returned all the boxes to comcrap on monday. comprap can get up on my nuts.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2015-04-29, 16:25

Ballers don't quit......
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2015-04-29, 16:31

AMwood wrote:gave it up this week when they jacked my rates up without warning. returned all the boxes to comcrap on monday. comprap can get up on my nuts.

where are you getting your internet signal
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-29, 16:44

I would except I can't live without live sports.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-04-29, 16:48

Green Note wrote:
AMwood wrote:gave it up this week when they jacked my rates up without warning. returned all the boxes to comcrap on monday. comprap can get up on my nuts.

God is my internet.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 16:55

No, I like my cable company and feel like it is reasonably priced.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-29, 17:31

Gave it up months back where ya been?!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-04-29, 18:26

I was very close to it three months ago when I turned in their modem to save $10 a month. I politely mentioned that my next step would be cutting the cord and then my rate magically dropped $30 a month and had HBO thrown in. The plus side is that it's a rate I no longer feel is gouging and I'm locked in for two years.

The bad news is that I'm locked in for two years, but by then I expect that the content delivery model will have changed enough to let me flip cable off for good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Townie 2015-04-29, 18:55

I cut it a couple years back. It's been great. I have saved over $3k probably.
Townie
Townie
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-04-29, 19:28

I'm not mad at my cable company. I've got UVerse and for the most part its been good. I've despised Comcast since the mid 80s. I'd go without cable rather than go with Comcast.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2015-04-29, 19:38

Gave it up a while ago and then got SlingTV a couple months ago. The $20 a month beats the $75 I was paying for dish and I watch it probably the same amount of time and the same channels I was paying $55/month more for.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-04-30, 07:34

Green Note wrote:

frontier. $40/month.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-30, 07:52

Gave that shit up 7 years ago. Don't miss it one bit. Rather spend that cheddar on beers and food at the local sports bar
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-10-27, 21:09

Got my Charter cable bill today and it jumped from $92.50 to $117.00 for internet (theirs is 60mbps ) 2 cable boxes (rip offx2) and tier1 digital that includes BTN and ESPN1 and 2.

My question is anyone have slingTV I can use with Roku? I don't like the fact it's part of Dish but for $20/month it gets me most of what we watch.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-10-27, 21:33

I have sling thru roku. Im gonna get rid of it after basketball. I only use it for the espns. Mine is glitchy. During the msu uofm game it cut out just as the punter fumbled the ball. I had no idea what happened. I was left scrambling on the intertrons to find out.

AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2015-10-27, 22:24

Green Note should start The Cable Is Too Damn High Party and run for Governor. 

Is he a karate man?
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-10-27, 22:41

Just added HBO for $10 a month. My life is out of control
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-10-27, 22:54

AMwood wrote:I have sling thru roku. Im gonna get rid of it after basketball. I only use it for the espns. Mine is glitchy. During the msu uofm game it cut out just as the punter fumbled the ball. I had no idea what happened. I was left scrambling on the intertrons to find out.

Was watching on the ESPN app and the same thing happened to me...awful
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-10-28, 03:33

Herbie Green wrote:Just added HBO for $10 a month. My life is out of control

You'll never have time to enjoy it on account of you're going to be winterizing your cottage for the next several years. You also have to be on the lookit for the bears.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2015-10-28, 07:25

flower I'd like to give up that shit, but I just can't. so, I try to make more money to cover that shit.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-10-28, 08:52

Tanfan! wrote: flower I'd like to give up that shit, but I just can't. so, I try to make more money to cover that shit.

Even after getting a rate reduction earlier this year, I always feel like a need to take a second job just to pay for the damn cable bill. It's not like I can take on a couple of extra cases a month for the extra scratch.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-10-28, 08:54

I'd have to check with my wife but I'm pretty sure we have cable.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-12-08, 14:47

I turned in my cable boxes last Friday. My letter from the Charter/ Spectrum said my monthly bill would be $117 but that was before fees for 2 digital boxes and taxes.

My new bill was $138/mth and mentioned I'd have to jump to the "Silver" @$20 per month more to keep ESPN News, ESPNU and 3 other channels plus the 5 that were the mid year like Golf and Esquire. That was on top of the 5 that left for the next plan last year.

Got a couple of Roku's and kept my internet @$60 per month. Have Netflix and Hulu and get the major networks. Is Amazon Prime the way to round out the package?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-08, 17:29

GRR Spartan wrote:I turned in my cable boxes last Friday. My letter from the Charter/ Spectrum said my monthly bill would be $117 but that was before fees for 2 digital boxes and taxes.

My new bill was $138/mth and mentioned I'd have to jump to the "Silver" @$20 per month more to keep ESPN News, ESPNU and 3 other channels plus the 5 that were the mid year like Golf and Esquire. That was on top of the 5 that left for the next plan last year.

Got a couple of Roku's and kept my internet @$60 per month. Have Netflix and Hulu and get the major networks. Is Amazon Prime the way to round out the package?
If you order things online, yes. If online shopping isn't your thing, Netflix is probably better.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-12-08, 20:14

Jake from State Farm wrote:Gave it up a while ago and then got SlingTV a couple months ago. The $20 a month beats the $75 I was paying for dish and I watch it probably the same amount of time and the same channels I was paying $55/month more for.

Cut cable about 1-1/2 years ago. Use Roku, have added Sling at about $17/month so I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CNN, etc. My Internet from AT&T just went up $17 from $25. So I'm less than cable, but not by a lot.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-08, 21:10

Spoke with WOW this evening regarding both my ever-increasing bill (for the same services) and a pop up notice about needing to change outgoing email settings.

Have had WOW for internet and cable since 2004 but I'm done with them after the holidays. Too much bullshit. They're constantly fucking with their lines requiring channel rescans which take roughly 30 minutes. Asshole road technicians botched a shutoff job a couple years ago and cut my service instead of the intended party.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-12-09, 08:08

GRR Spartan wrote:I turned in my cable boxes last Friday. My letter from the Charter/ Spectrum said my monthly bill would be $117 but that was before fees for 2 digital boxes and taxes.

i have something close to your set up. roku, netflix, hulu, sling and amazon prime.

my observations: sling sucks. it's awkward and slow. but it gets me espn for that rare game i want to watch. but i'll watch it through my espn watch app on the roku. the sling app is cumbersome as shit. i'm getting rid of it after basketball season.

netflix: awesome

hulu: excellent if you like tv shows like my girlfriend. there are a shitload of them on there. i don't really watch tv shows but i keep it for her.

prime: i like it a lot. i own most of my streaming movies through amazon because of how easy it is for me to use. the video library is good, downloading your movies to devices like ipads and phones is easy, and it has a ton of documentaries (even some hbo ones) which is what i like to watch the most.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2015-12-09, 08:15

I could do without cable outside of football and basketball season, so basically after the NCAA tournament and before the start of football season...but I keep it year round anyway because I'm not a peasant.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-12-09, 08:25

AnomanderRake wrote:I could do without cable outside of football and basketball season, so basically after the NCAA tournament and before the start of football season...but I keep it year round anyway because I'm not a peasant.

so you are just stupid?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2015-12-09, 08:29

AMwood wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:I could do without cable outside of football and basketball season, so basically after the NCAA tournament and before the start of football season...but I keep it year round anyway because I'm not a peasant.

so you are just stupid?

Seems stupid to me to sign up for and use a mess of different services in an attempt to replace cable.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-12-09, 08:32

AnomanderRake wrote:
AMwood wrote:

so you are just stupid?

Seems stupid to me to sign up for and use a mess of different services in an attempt to replace cable.

i guess it depends on your watching habits. my set up suits me better than cable.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-12-09, 10:40

So you choose to give Charter/Comcast/Cox/whoever $120-$150 a month. Your money.

Netflix/Hulu/Amazon leaves me $50 a month to buy beer. Am considering buying a Logitech Harmony 850 remote for my main TV.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-12-09, 11:05

Here's two recent articles of what cord cutting is doing to ESPN and its parent company Disney.
The network has paid big money for content too.
NFL-$1.9B per year
NCAA Playoffs/Bowls $7.9B
NBA - 9 year $24B

If you think ESPN has fewer people you are seeing a lot its not you, its reality.  
Disney said the World wide leader has lost 7M subscribers over the last 2 years and they were getting an average of $6.50 per subscriber per month income.  Carry that out and we're talking real money. 7,000,000 x $6.50 x 12 = $546M .  

From the link:
"Other Disney-owned networks to lose subscribers in the last two years include ABC Family (5 million), Disney Channel (4 million) and Disney XD (4 million). A&E, History and Lifetime, all of which are 50% owned by Disney also saw subscriber losses."

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/disney-announces-espn-has-lost-7-million-subscribers-due-to-cord-cutting.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/06/the-sports-bubble-is-about-to-pop.html
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2015-12-09, 15:12

GRR Spartan wrote:

So you choose to give Charter/Comcast/Cox/whoever $120-$150 a month. Your money.

Netflix/Hulu/Amazon leaves me $50 a month to buy beer. Am considering buying a Logitech Harmony 850 remote for my main TV.

I primarily have cable to watch sports though which Netflix, Hulu and Amazon don't help with at all. Streaming options for sports are poor quality and generally a hassle as well.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down