Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor

+3
steveschneider
Rocinante
Dr. Strangelove
7 posters

Go down

V.I.P Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-05-01, 11:35

The Who with Joan Jett
Tuesday April 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
PNC Arena

Setlist

I Cant Explain
The Seeker
Who Are You
Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
Pictures Of Lily
My Generation
Magic Bus
Behind Blue Eyes
Squeeze Box
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
Love Reign Ore Me
Eminence Front
A Quick One
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me/Listening To You
Baba O'Riley
Wont Get Fooled Again

First "Squeeze Box" in USA since December 13, 1982 in Cleveland.

Crowd: Aprx 12,000. The upper bowl along the sides were curtained off.

The Who were in fine form in Raleigh on the 4th US show of their THE WHO HITS 50! Tour. Roger Daltrey was strong of voice while Pete Townshend was engaged and playful, Zak Starkey played especially well and hit the skins hard, Pino Palladino stayed in the shadows on bass but did get a spotlight on WGFA.

My personal highlights were the songs I had not see live in person before: Seeker, Lily, Squeeze Box and Quick One. The setlist was heavy on the "hits" as advertised but not so many "misses" (but that's too be expected as for many in attendance this would be their only Who show).

The show flowed nicely and Townshend talked between songs a number of times, including a gem before Kids, "We're going to play another old one ... well they're all fucking old now aren't they"?

I personally enjoy the no encore policy so we don't have the fake walk off stage for two minutes and then a return for a couple more numbers. So when Won't Get Fooled Again started I knew that was going to be it and I was good with it. Daltrey screwed up in the middle of the song and came in on the wrong line but it was glorious trainwreck to watch them scramble to put it back together - which they did.

Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor CDKDtViW4AEk_zT

Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor 11176360_1381302952169306_1110999158_n

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on 2015-05-01, 11:44; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

V.I.P Re: Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor

Post by Rocinante 2015-05-01, 11:43

Bob is not sure if this is real rock and roll or not.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-01, 11:44

How was a Quick One While He's Away? The version on RnR Circus is one of my favorite recordings of all time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-01, 12:07

Tell us your feelings as you listened to "My Generation".

Even though they were of my era the Who were never high on my list of favorites.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-05-01, 12:13

steveschneider wrote:How was a Quick One While He's Away? The version on RnR Circus is one of my favorite recordings of all time.

They resurrected "A Quick One" last year after 44 years. It's a real treat, especially since Pete seems a bit chagrined to be playing it again. He's been introducing as "we're playing this again but the best version is from The Rock n Roll Circus".

My thoughts during "My Gen" were I really wish they were playing something else like maybe "Sister Disco". Also, I was thinking how badly I needed to pee. I hit the head during "Magic Bus" which is my least favorite Who song of alltime.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-05-01, 14:49

So, no mention of recent Rock Hall Inductee Joan Jett?
Wink
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-01, 15:40

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
steveschneider wrote:How was a Quick One While He's Away? The version on RnR Circus is one of my favorite recordings of all time.

They resurrected "A Quick One" last year after 44 years. It's a real treat, especially since Pete seems a bit chagrined to be playing it again. He's been introducing as "we're playing this again but the best version is from The Rock n Roll Circus".

My thoughts during "My Gen" were I really wish they were playing something else like maybe "Sister Disco". Also, I was thinking how badly I needed to pee. I hit the head during "Magic Bus" which is my least favorite Who song of alltime.

Sounds pretty good. I wonder if they have pitch correcting software on their voices, they sound slightly affected and really in tune.

I listened to the original RNR Circus version as well right after it. Thundering John Entwhistle and Keith Moon, there'll never be a rhythm section like that again. This current section is playing it by the book, the original one used to push the volume and filled the spaces with just the most incredible nuances. They really took that music to the limits.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-05-01, 15:54

I.B. Fine wrote:So, no mention of recent Rock Hall Inductee Joan Jett?
Wink

I caught Joan's last three songs (I love RnR, Crimson and Clover, I Hate Myself for loving you) she sounded about the same as she did when I saw her open for The Police in 83. She also looks like a junkie.

I was in the parking lot finishing off beers and a few oneies.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-05-01, 16:02

steveschneider wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Sounds pretty good. I wonder if they have pitch correcting software on their voices, they sound slightly affected and really in tune.

I listened to the original RNR Circus version as well right after it. Thundering John Entwhistle and Keith Moon, there'll never be a rhythm section like that again. This current section is playing it by the book, the original one used to push the volume and filled the spaces with just the most incredible nuances. They really took that music to the limits.

Zak is the best Keith Moon style drummer on the planet - no complaints there he can play lead drums if they let him. Pino Palladino is a very talented bassist but he's not Entwistle. Also Townshend has throttled him back and he's playing basic bass - no extra fills or flourishes like John did. Pete has taken that musical space - he's added some new tricks and riffs.

On the vocal side I don't think they're using electronic sweeteners they're doing it the old fashioned way - backing vocals.

Simon Townshend is playing rhythm guitar and he can sing (sang lead on Dirty Jobs last tour), Loren Gold, John Corey, and Frank Simes are all singing background while playing keys and other instruments. They double Roger on a lot of songs - it's really noticeable on "I can see for miles".
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2015-05-01, 16:28

Joan Jett from a few weeks ago with Heart

Concert Review: The Who in Raleigh. Spartan Swill Contributor Jett10
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-01, 16:33

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Zak is the best Keith Moon style drummer on the planet - no complaints there he can play lead drums if they let him. Pino Palladino is a very talented bassist but he's not Entwistle. Also Townshend has throttled him back and he's playing basic bass - no extra fills or flourishes like John did. Pete has taken that musical space - he's added some new tricks and riffs.

On the vocal side I don't think they're using electronic sweeteners they're doing it the old fashioned way - backing vocals.

Simon Townshend is playing rhythm guitar and he can sing (sang lead on Dirty Jobs last tour), Loren Gold, John Corey, and Frank Simes are all singing background while playing keys and other instruments. They double Roger on a lot of songs - it's really noticeable on "I can see for miles".

Yep, good call backup vocals must be it. I recall during the Super Bowl performance I don't think the vocals were as on as they were right there.

Will probably check them out when they head up to NYC.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-01, 20:08

I remember when the Who had their farewell tour when I was in junior high. That was 1982. 33 years ago!
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-05-02, 02:19

I know Daltrey and Townshend are the two most "important" members, but is it really The Who without Moon and Entwistle?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-05-02, 08:54

Cameron wrote:I know Daltrey and Townshend are the two most "important" members, but is it really The Who without Moon and Entwistle?

Not an invalid point but since they last toured together in 1976 it leaves a lot of people wanting more.

The 79 shows with Kenney Jones (member 79-82, 85, 88 and 2013 - the last 3 were one offs) are very interesting to listen to as The Who played the most varied setlists of their career with covers and unreleased numbers and extensive jams.

The 1989 "Who on Ice" tour saw something like 13 people hit the stage. It was nice to see them back but not really The Who.

The 96 and 97 Quad tours were a return to form but still had a lot of people up there.

However when they toured as a four piece (with Zak) in 1999 that was The Who. They were on fire. They added Rabbit on keys for 2000. They stole the show at The Concert for NYC in 2001.

The played a few shows before John died in 2002 and then infamously continued the tour after he died right before the US leg.

Since then it's been more The Two than The Who but my God they're still amazing.

I'd recommend catching it if you can.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-02, 09:55

I'm taking the Dr.'s advice and going to see the who in Brooklyn. Also, will be going to see crosby stills and Nash.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-09-18, 14:47

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-who-postpone-who-hits-50-tour-due-to-roger-daltrey-virus-20150918

The Who postpone all remaining 2015 dates.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down