Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The original star wars trilogy was just okay

+18
Herbie Green
Robert J Sakimano
Rodeo Burger
WhiteBoyHatcher
Ted Brogan
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
Brock Middlebrook
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
Rocinante
Death Roe
LoneWolfSparty
steveschneider
Tim Wakefield
Giant Moose
MiamiSpartan
Ass Dan
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The original star wars trilogy was just okay Empty The original star wars trilogy was just okay

Post by Ass Dan Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 am

Seeing a lot of this may 4th junk on Twitter. Why do so many nerds love star wars this much? Compared to other movies from that era, the acting is terrible and the special effects are whack. Yoda is the dumbest character in the entire trilogy too.

Don't get me wrong, the story is neat and all, but there's not enough plot line development and the only background we get is in the scrolling words after the opening credits.

Indiana Jones was 1000 times better
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The original star wars trilogy was just okay Empty Re: The original star wars trilogy was just okay

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon May 04, 2015 12:08 pm

You're trying too hard to troll.

Have a blessed Star Wars Day.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The original star wars trilogy was just okay Empty Re: The original star wars trilogy was just okay

Post by Giant Moose Mon May 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Spock was pretty badass in those movies.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon May 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Hate monger.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Ass Dan wrote:Seeing a lot of this may 4th junk on Twitter. Why do so many nerds love star wars this much? Compared to other movies from that era, the acting is terrible and the special effects are whack. Yoda is the dumbest character in the entire trilogy too.

Don't get me wrong, the story is neat and all, but there's not enough plot line development and the only background we get is in the scrolling words after the opening credits.

You don't like Seinfeld and you don't like Star Wars. Your opinion on film and tv sucks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Mon May 04, 2015 12:43 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:Seeing a lot of this may 4th junk on Twitter. Why do so many nerds love star wars this much? Compared to other movies from that era, the acting is terrible and the special effects are whack. Yoda is the dumbest character in the entire trilogy too.

You don't like Seinfeld and you don't like Star Wars. Your opinion on film and tv sucks.

Didn't say I didn't like star wars, I just don't love it. Empirically not a great series of movies.

Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Mon May 04, 2015 12:44 pm

This. When I was a kid I loved Star Wars. As an adult I am all "eh".
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Mon May 04, 2015 12:44 pm

You're not really missing out.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon May 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Ass Dan wrote:

You're not really missing out.
Even if you don't like them, someone is still missing out on not seeing them. They miss out on one of the biggest pop culture phenomenons ever, and countless references in TV, movies, etc. But I understand that some people want to be too hipster to give any credence to pop culture.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon May 04, 2015 1:38 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Even if you don't like them, someone is still missing out on not seeing them. They miss out on one of the biggest pop culture phenomenons ever, and countless references in TV, movies, etc. But I understand that some people want to be too hipster to give any credence to pop culture.

I'm about the furthest thing from a hipster you'll ever find The original star wars trilogy was just okay 502811600

Just never had enough interest in the movies to sit down and watch them. Maybe some day I will.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Mon May 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm about the furthest thing from a hipster you'll ever find The original star wars trilogy was just okay 502811600

Just never had enough interest in the movies to sit down and watch them. Maybe some day I will.
My favorite part of the Star Wars movies besides Spock was when that little dude (I think his name was ET) phoned home. Classic.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I honestly didn't mean you, but as I re-read it, I see how it comes off that way. I had added that line because I could see ass dan or someone respond with something about being too good for pop culture.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon May 04, 2015 4:52 pm

OP likes butt rock.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Mon May 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Death Roe wrote:OP likes butt rock.

Dude, being Into star wars would be an indicator of liking butt rock. Not the other way around.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Ass Dan wrote:
Death Roe wrote:OP likes butt rock.

Dude, being Into star wars would be an indicator of liking butt rock. Not the other way around.

I like the Star Wars movies. I'm going to see the new one. But I wouldn't say I'm "into" them.

Liking butt rock means you approve of Nickelback (complete shit music) and Nicolas Cage movies (complete shit films).
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon May 04, 2015 5:08 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

I think it's clear that after the success of the first two movies the focus was on children and merchandising for Jedi and the prequels. Lucas is a bad writer, a terrible director, but knew how to sell toys. I think the hatred of the prequels has as much to do with people realizing that these are kids movies as with how bad they were. It all started with Ewoks. Fucking Ewoks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Rocinante wrote:
LoneWolfSparty wrote:

I think it's clear that after the success of the first two movies the focus was on children and merchandising for Jedi and the prequels. Lucas is a bad writer, a terrible director, but knew how to sell toys. I think the hatred of the prequels has as much to do with people realizing that these are kids movies as with how bad they were. It all started with Ewoks. Fucking Ewoks.

Actually I think you are misguided. Chewbacca was/is just a big Ewok. These were kids movies from the get go. The politics involving the Empire and Rebel Alliance are rudimentary at best. Seriously, this whole series was successful because it had some interesting characters played by decent actors, and then had some groundbreaking special effects. For me it all started falling apart when Darth Vader was Luke's father......and Leia was his sister. It was like a poor man's Lost.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon May 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Rocinante wrote:
LoneWolfSparty wrote:

To be more specific, I'd actually say that the hatred of the prequels has more to do with people building unrealistic expectations in their head based on childhood memories of other movies. Maybe we need Tim Wakefield to settle this debate, since he's likely the only person on earth who hasn't seen the originals, but I really doubt that any adult in 2015 could watch the original trilogy and love them, and then watch the prequels and hate those. The acting, directing, and dialogue in all of them were poor. No one in their right mind would argue that any of the movies should have contended for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, or Best Actress. But who gives a fuck? They're fun movies, and they're a big part of the childhood of most people under 50.

I loved them as a kid when the originals came out, then was kind of "meh" about them in high school (thought I was too cool to like a kids movie). In college I enjoyed them again, watching them with a new group of friends (laughing, reliving childhood together, etc.). Now I'm enjoying them in a new way as my daughter and nephews really like them, so I experience it through the eyes of children. I don't geek out on it (I haven't had a costume from the movie since I was 9 or 10, I don't go to conventions, or search out geeky shit about it on the internet). They're just fun movies, and the new ones will be fun.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon May 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Except Empire.Lawrence Kassadan or however you spell it actually put a compelling screenplay together.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Hate monger.

The original star wars trilogy was just okay E656dc01708b2630a24a51485624e793

The original star wars trilogy was just okay Star-wars-quotes-yoda
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm not really into the movies myself, but Yoda fucking cracks me up.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Mon May 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Looks like some of the RCMB got together to celebrate today

The original star wars trilogy was just okay Gallery_2102_37_23158
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 pm

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm

The original star wars trilogy was just okay 294152859
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 pm

The original Star Wars movies are great, all-time classics.

The Star Wars fanbase is insufferable.
Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Ted Brogan wrote:The original Star Wars movies are great, all-time classics.

The Star Wars fanbase is insufferable.

You're insufferable.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Signing in.

I have a natural aversion to things that people super dork out to. I realize this is somewhat counter intuitive because I play fantasy sports and generally dork out to MSU sports but fuck logic. I have a hard time with the sci-fi genre. For example I love great TV and I know GoT is great TV but I can't bring myself to watch it because the genre turns me off too much. I suppose this is akin to Bobby Sak hero worshipping a 60-something guy who sings music songs but mocking the rest of us for liking college sports.

SW kind of fits into that weird Sci-fi genre to me and the fact that people dork out to it makes it even less appealing to me. I liked it when I was a kid. I watched Return of the Jedi in the theater when it came back in like 1998 (because a friend insisted) and it was super meh. Just not that interesting or good.

That said I think I'm going to watch the original again soon because my 5 year old little shit has caught wind of light sabers and wants to see it.

All in all, I'm just babbling like the rest of you.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue May 05, 2015 12:24 am

Too bad you guys didn't get to experience the awesomeness of the original Star Wars movie in the theater.

The movie was so intense and when the Death Star exploded people stood up and cheered loudly. It was epic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Tue May 05, 2015 8:14 am

Death Roe wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:

I like the Star Wars movies. I'm going to see the new one. But I wouldn't say I'm "into" them.

Liking butt rock means you approve of Nickelback (complete shit music) and Nicolas Cage movies (complete shit films).

Even crappy entertainers catch lightening in a bottle once in a while, albeit maybe on accident. Photograph is a pretty good song...it almost defines the era: bad voiced singers enjoying being meloncholy.

As for Nick Cage, Raising Arizona is a wonderful flick, as is Leaving Lost Vegas.

That said, I loved the Star Wars trilogy as a kid. The Empire Strikes back is by far my favorite. The reboots were abominations...hopefully Disney saves Lucas' legacy from himself by turning the franchise around. I don't care how many tickets the reboots sold, they were garbage movies.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Signing in.

I have a natural aversion to things that people super dork out to. I realize this is somewhat counter intuitive because I play fantasy sports and generally dork out to MSU sports but fuck logic. I have a hard time with the sci-fi genre. For example I love great TV and I know GoT is great TV but I can't bring myself to watch it because the genre turns me off too much. I suppose this is akin to Bobby Sak hero worshipping a 60-something guy who sings music songs but mocking the rest of us for liking college sports.

SW kind of fits into that weird Sci-fi genre to me and the fact that people dork out to it makes it even less appealing to me. I liked it when I was a kid. I watched Return of the Jedi in the theater when it came back in like 1998 (because a friend insisted) and it was super meh. Just not that interesting or good.

That said I think I'm going to watch the original again soon because my 5 year old little shit has caught wind of light sabers and wants to see it.

are there non-music songs I should be aware of?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue May 05, 2015 8:32 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Signing in.

Is he talking about John Cougar Springsteen?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 am

Star Wars was pretty good.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue May 05, 2015 8:54 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I think it's John Petty Cougar Segersteen
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue May 05, 2015 9:37 am

Seinfeld is better than Star Wars.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Seinfeld is better than Star Wars.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I think it's John Petty Cougar Segersteen

Was he a member of the Silver Bullet Band?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 pm

steveschneider wrote:Too bad you guys didn't get to experience the awesomeness of the original Star Wars movie in the theater.

The movie was so intense and when the Death Star exploded people stood up and cheered loudly. It was epic.
I was young (4 or 5), but remember seeing the original at the drive in. There's a lot of people older than me here, so chances are most of them saw it in the theater. I think Tanfan took his great grandkids to see the original when it first came out.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think it's John Petty Cougar Segersteen

Was he a member of the Silver Bullet Band?
you're thinking of Earth, Wind and Fire.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat May 09, 2015 1:21 am

Just watched the first Star Wars tonight with my son. I might have been inspired by this thread. I hadn't seen it in so long I was worried it would be really lame.. I thought ET would still be good for kids but they hated it so much I had to turn it off in 30 minutes.
He had seen some legos shit. I tried to warn that the graphics might not look so good today. But he loved it and I thought it was still damn good myself. I am looking forward to watching the rest of them. I stopped at Episode 1 because I thought it sucked but maybe the other ones are a lot better.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next