Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booking a flight

+10
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Turtleneck
AMwood
WhiteBoyHatcher
Ass Dan
Giant Moose
InTenSity
14 posters

Go down

Booking a flight Empty Booking a flight

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-30, 09:11

Does anyone have any experience with the following.
1) My wife and I have the miles to get a free trip to MI this year.
2) My daughter doesn't have the miles and I'll have to buy her ticket, but she is 3.
3) Can I do this online, or do I have to call the airline (Delta) and then pay $75 more to have someone book the flights?

When I log into my Delta account, I don't see any options of putting my wife's information in with mine, or an option to have 2 tickets purchased with miles and the third with cash. You can't book a single ticket for a minor. This is a huge PITA, because I think I'm going to have to end up calling.
I can't believe I'm going to have to do all 3 separately, or call and pay $25 a ticket to get this done. If anyone knows a way around this, or if I'm doing it wrong, Please let me know.

That being said, I found round trip, into Lansing and out of Detroit for $280 on Friday, Sept 4. Get into E. Lansing at around 1, I could probably make it to Kzoo for the Western game. Then leave the following week on Sunday afternoon, meaning I could probably also make the Oregon game. I wonder if I can pull this off, and I wonder if my wife will let me do it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Booking a flight Empty Re: Booking a flight

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-30, 09:24

Post your Delta account login, password, and credit card info and we'll take care of it.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-30, 09:40

Giant Moose wrote:Post your Delta account login, password, and credit card info and we'll take care of it.
Eatadick2
4365 2500 8558 1739 exp 01/21 cvs 456
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-06-30, 09:55

InTenSity wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Post your Delta account login, password, and credit card info and we'll take care of it.
Eatadick2
I love this board
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-30, 10:03

I was hoping your account number would be: 5318008
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-30, 10:14

InTenSity wrote: I wonder if I can pull this off, and I wonder if my wife will let me do it.

Based on this sentence I think we may need to vote to remove you from tSwill.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-30, 10:15

Giant Moose wrote:I was hoping your account number would be: 5318008
Booking a flight 502811600
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-30, 10:26

Just call the airline and be clear with them that you're not paying them $75 because their website isn't functional. Pretty sure they can waive those fees whenever they want. 

CSB we flew Delta down there last week and the lady at curbside either liked the $30 tip I gave her or thought my kids were cute. Didn't charge us for any of the bags, and put them through as priority so they were first off the plane and on the belt. Nice.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-06-30, 10:39

have you tried getting a divorce?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-30, 10:41

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Just call the airline and be clear with them that you're not paying them $75 because their website isn't functional. Pretty sure they can waive those fees whenever they want. 

CSB we flew Delta down there last week and the lady at curbside either liked the $30 tip I gave her or thought my kids were cute. Didn't charge us for any of the bags, and put them through as priority so they were first off the plane and on the belt. Nice.
This is one case, I wish there were still travel agents. I appreciate Kayak, but I want to look for the best deals into multiple airports on multiple days. The Delta site doesn't really let you look at things too easily with all those different options, without starting a new search. Appreciate the advice though, I'll see when I call them if they can waive the fee.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-30, 11:52

InTenSity wrote: I want to look for the best deals into multiple airports on multiple days. The Delta site doesn't really let you look at things too easily with all those different options, without starting a new search.
BestFares.com allows you to do that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-06-30, 12:18

I can't believe he is going to visit god awful Michigan.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-30, 12:20

Turtleneck wrote:

I can't believe he is going to visit god awful Michigan.
Michigan is a great place to visit, but a bad place to live.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-06-30, 13:06

InTenSity wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the following.
1) My wife and I have the miles to get a free trip to MI this year.
2) My daughter doesn't have the miles and I'll have to buy her ticket, but she is 3.
3) Can I do this online, or do I have to call the airline (Delta) and then pay $75 more to have someone book the flights?

When I log into my Delta account, I don't see any options of putting my wife's information in with mine, or an option to have 2 tickets purchased with miles and the third with cash. You can't book a single ticket for a minor. This is a huge PITA, because I think I'm going to have to end up calling.
I can't believe I'm going to have to do all 3 separately, or call and pay $25 a ticket to get this done. If anyone knows a way around this, or if I'm doing it wrong, Please let me know.

That being said, I found round trip, into Lansing and out of Detroit for $280 on Friday, Sept 4. Get into E. Lansing at around 1, I could probably make it to Kzoo for the Western game. Then leave the following week on Sunday afternoon, meaning I could probably also make the Oregon game. I wonder if I can pull this off, and I wonder if my wife will let me do it.
I think I've done it with Delta before, but it's been years.  I've done it more recently with American, though.  IIRC, American has a couple of different ways to book flights with miles, so it was confusing to find either way.  Delta may be similar.  In American's case, there was one area where you would book a flight using your miles, but there was another link or landing page or something if you wanted to pay for your flight with miles.  It sounds like semantics, but the latter is what you want.  It's usually about 100 miles = $1.  So if your combined flights are $900 and you have 60,000 miles, you pay $300.

This is Delta's "pay by miles" landing page.  Maybe you've already tried this route, but if not:  http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-with-miles.html

If that doesn't work, call Delta and they may be able to tell you how to do it online.

One alternative would be that since you can't buy a child's ticket alone, then pay for your wife and daughter's tickets with the miles, and then buy for yourself separately.  Worst case, you guys don't get seats together, but you can almost always find someone willing to switch seats with you, especially if it means that they won't have to sit next to a 3 year old.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-06-30, 14:20

Giant Moose wrote:I was hoping your account number would be: 5318008

Booking a flight 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-06-30, 14:21

InTenSity wrote:
Eatadick2

I just pressed the first link and wound up talking to someone in Botswana. WTF, OP? I didn't know you lived in Africa.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-30, 14:24

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Eatadick2

I just pressed the first link and wound up talking to someone in Botswana. WTF, OP? I didn't know you lived in Africa.

We're all getting Ebola.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-30, 15:13

Can anyone explain this? I'd like to end up in TC if at all possible, but the airlines are all sorts of fucked up. Direct flight from Detroit to TC is around $300 or something crazy like that. A flight from Chicago to TC, which you think would be direct, has a layover in Detroit and is around $180. So its roughly $120 cheaper to fly out of Chicago, going through Detroit, than it is to fly directly from Detroit.

Sidenote - Was booking a flight for my wife this morning, price jumped up $20 between noon and 2, and then when I went to go book it went up another $30. What a PITA.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2015-07-01, 06:26

InTenSity wrote:Can anyone explain this? I'd like to end up in TC if at all possible, but the airlines are all sorts of fucked up. Direct flight from Detroit to TC is around $300 or something crazy like that. A flight from Chicago to TC, which you think would be direct, has a layover in Detroit and is around $180. So its roughly $120 cheaper to fly out of Chicago, going through Detroit, than it is to fly directly from Detroit.

Sidenote - Was booking a flight for my wife this morning, price jumped up $20 between noon and 2, and then when I went to go book it went up another $30. What a PITA.

You need to delete your cookies or use a different browser when you go back. They track you and bump the price unless you buy it the first time, at least that's what I've heard.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-01, 06:34

Jake from State Farm wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Can anyone explain this? I'd like to end up in TC if at all possible, but the airlines are all sorts of fucked up. Direct flight from Detroit to TC is around $300 or something crazy like that. A flight from Chicago to TC, which you think would be direct, has a layover in Detroit and is around $180. So its roughly $120 cheaper to fly out of Chicago, going through Detroit, than it is to fly directly from Detroit.

You need to delete your cookies or use a different browser when you go back. They track you and bump the price unless you buy it the first time, at least that's what I've heard.
Fuckers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-01, 06:48

Fuck the airlines.

Jet Blue announced yesterday no more free checked bags. The industry racked up $2.6 billion dollars in baggage fees in 2014. Last month they tried ramming through a change to the size of carry on bags so that more bags would have to be checked (oh, they claim this was to free up overhead bin space).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-01, 07:24

More bin space is critical to national security.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-01, 08:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:Fuck the airlines.

Jet Blue announced yesterday no more free checked bags.  The industry racked up $2.6 billion dollars in baggage fees in 2014.  Last month they tried ramming through a change to the size of carry on bags so that more bags would have to be checked (oh, they claim this was to free up overhead bin space).
just wear all the clothes you plan on taking.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-01, 08:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Jet Blue announced yesterday no more free checked bags.  The industry racked up $2.6 billion dollars in baggage fees in 2014.  Last month they tried ramming through a change to the size of carry on bags so that more bags would have to be checked (oh, they claim this was to free up overhead bin space).
Like this?
Booking a flight 7183uDci6NL._UL1500_
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-01, 08:28

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Like this?
Booking a flight 502811600

yeah - you could wear that suit and just pack everything down into it. Problem solved.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-07-01, 08:32

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Like this?

More like this.

Booking a flight Clothes
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-07-01, 08:37

Did you look earlier without purchasing? Trackers allow sites to pull that bs. Same thing happens with car rentals.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-01, 08:46

kingstonlake wrote:

Did you look earlier without purchasing? Trackers allow sites to pull that bs. Same thing happens with car rentals.
If you are talking in reference to my wife's ticket, I had looked earlier, but basically the flight out to Washington that was cheap was taken, or jumped up $60, making hte next cheapest, which never changed, about $30 more. It was my mistake, oh well. Just annoying. Actually I was on Kayak and went to go book, and between the 30 seconds to go from the site to the actual airlines, the price went up $10.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-07-01, 12:05

Jet Blue announced yesterday no more free checked bags. The industry racked up $2.6 billion dollars in baggage fees in 2014. Last month they tried ramming through a change to the size of carry on bags so that more bags would have to be checked (oh, they claim this was to free up overhead bin space).
I was pissed for a second. I had just booked a flight last week on Jet Blue, but after looking it up, flights booked before the announcement, still get 1 free checked bag.

At least they only charge people who check bags. They could just add some $25 fee somewhere and bury it in the cost for everyone buying a ticket.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-07-01, 12:24

kingstonlake wrote:

People say this (and like to believe the "evil corporations screwing the little guy" mantra), but I don't buy it, as I've seen it work both ways. Rental car rates especially fluctuate a lot, and can go down if they get closer to certain dates and the actual bookings are below what had been projected previously. Just this morning I looked at rental cars for a trip next week, using the exact same site, computer, and options that I used when I actually booked a rental car last week, and the price had gone down about $5/day. Considering the bookings are 100% cancellable, they would be even less likely show lower prices to someone who has already booked it.

When I was booking flights last week, I had been looking at flights frequently over 1-2 weeks prior to booking, and from one day to the next, I saw prices go both up and down, depending on the airline, exact dates, etc. Of course, often I've seen prices go up, as well, but it usually seems that when I book a flight there aren't a ton of seats still left on a plane, so I could see where fewer available seats would cause fluctuation in pricing depending on the timing, how many people have been looking at a certain flight, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down