Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP

+2
Jethro Bodeen
DWags
6 posters

Go down

Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP Empty Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP

Post by DWags 04/08/15, 12:30 am

1970 playoff vs Dallas

The names are great. Commercials too.

https://youtu.be/l9VN2d3O7QI
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP Empty Re: Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP

Post by Jethro Bodeen 04/08/15, 08:59 am

Wow. I had a flashback watching that. I was 9 and my brother was home from MSU for Christmas. I was a diehard Lions fan and he was and still is a Bears fan. He bet me a dollar ( Big money to an 8 year old in 1970 ) that Dallas would beat the Lions. My Dad backed my bet for me because of course, I didn't have a dollar.

The game was brutal for the Lions on offense. I held out hope for just one TD at the end- but it was not to be. I can still see and hear my Dad and Brother chuckling at me as my Dad handed my brother the dollar while I turned away from the TV, steaming mad, heartbroken and tears streaming down my fat, red face.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP Empty Re: Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP

Post by Giant Moose 04/08/15, 09:03 am

Jethro Bodeen wrote:Wow. I had a flashback watching that. I was 9 and my brother was home from MSU for Christmas. I was a diehard Lions fan and he was and still is a Bears fan. He bet me a dollar ( Big money to an 8 year old in 1970 ) that Dallas would beat the Lions. My Dad backed my bet for me because of course, I didn't have a dollar.

The game was brutal for the Lions on offense. I held out hope for just one TD at the end- but it was not to be. I can still see and hear my Dad and Brother chuckling at me as my Dad handed my brother the dollar while I turned away from the TV, steaming mad, heartbroken and tears streaming down my fat, red face.

You learned a great lesson that day. Never bet on the Lions.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 04/08/15, 09:09 am

Giant Moose wrote:
Jethro Bodeen wrote:Wow. I had a flashback watching that. I was 9 and my brother was home from MSU for Christmas. I was a diehard Lions fan and he was and still is a Bears fan. He bet me a dollar ( Big money to an 8 year old in 1970 ) that Dallas would beat the Lions. My Dad backed my bet for me because of course, I didn't have a dollar.

Yeah- I still like the Lions, but I learned long ago not to invest too much into them. Plus I had MSU Football and for years and years, I had room for just so much frustration and heartache in my soul.

Last edited by Jethro Bodeen on 04/08/15, 09:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 04/08/15, 09:09 am

Giant Moose wrote:

Dont' know how old you were, but if there was a super bowl team from Detroit, it was that team. Older people like me can remember that team. I remember Landry going 78 yards on a QB sneak against my Packers that year. They were pretty damn good. Some hall of famers on that team.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 04/08/15, 09:16 am

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Dont' know how old you were, but if there was a super bowl team from Detroit, it was that team. Older people like me can remember that team. I remember Landry going 78 yards on a QB sneak against my Packers that year. They were pretty damn good. Some hall of famers on that team.

Man- Bill Munson sucked-ass. It reminds me of the movie Kingpin: The Lions got Munsoned when Landry got hurt.

That team shouldn't have even been in the Wild Card except for the 63 Yard Field Goal by Tom Dempsy. I guess the story is that they all went out and got drunk in New Orleans the night before and all had hangovers. If they didn't blow that game, they would have had home field advantage in the Playoffs.

Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 04/08/15, 10:10 am

Great stuff
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 04/08/15, 12:29 pm

DWags wrote:Great stuff
Based on the response to this, we are older than we think.

Its like when my Grandpa used to tell me about Red Grange. I politely listened while all the time simply waiting for him to STFU.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 04/08/15, 08:16 pm

Fuck. Earl Mc-Fuckin'-Cullough. And Altie Taylor.

And my childhood memory, of the freeze-frame of Greg Landry being snowed under in the end zone for a last-second safety, isn't an accurate memory. Thanks a fuck of a lot, DWags. Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP 1896033241

I HATE YOU.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 04/08/15, 08:23 pm

That game broke my 10year-old heart. A harbinger of things to come.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 04/08/15, 08:32 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:That game broke my 10year-old heart. A harbinger of things to come.

Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP 4177874726
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 04/08/15, 09:10 pm

SpartanInNH wrote:Fuck.  Earl Mc-Fuckin'-Cullough.  And Altie Taylor.  

And my childhood memory, of the freeze-frame of Greg Landry being snowed under in the end zone for a last-second safety, isn't an accurate memory.  Thanks a fuck of a lot, DWags.  Old timers: enjoy this film. Mel Farr RIP 1896033241

I HATE YOU.  
sorry man, but that team could ball.  they just partied too much
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 04/08/15, 11:37 pm

I was 4 years from life. Saggy balls must suck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 05/08/15, 05:41 am

Rocinante wrote:I was 4 years from life. Saggy balls must suck.

The difference between 40 and 53 to a college co-ed is zero.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down