Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letting your kid play football

+15
InTenSity
GRR Spartan
HT
Giant Moose
Blanch32
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
Rodeo Burger
steveschneider
NigelUno
Rocinante
DWags
y2kMgrad
WhiteBoyHatcher
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Letting your kid play football - Page 2 Empty Re: Letting your kid play football

Post by Herbie Green 2015-08-24, 21:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That's why I only played football for one year when I was a kid. I loved football but I fucking hated running. I even liked the drills. But it was like 10% football, 90% running.

I had the same experience in my one year of football plus all the down ups and crap. I thought I was a RB or WR. The only time I touched the ball the entire season was when I recovered a fumble. The next year I went out for golf.

...I love watching football more than almost anything but to me it is an absolutely horrible sport to play. I mean there is a lot of good that can come from it but those things can also come from plenty of other sports. And I think a lot of good can come from individual sports too.

I started a thread on this topic that was a miserable failure "what is the point"? I dont think any 9 year old should be put in a position of violent football collisions.

That said, my son is 9 and so lazy I would consider it if he told me he wanted to play. But I certainly wouldn't push for it. If this was just 5 years ago I might have but I know now it is just a horrible percentage play.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Letting your kid play football - Page 2 Empty Re: Letting your kid play football

Post by DWags 2015-08-24, 21:41

GRR Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:We were run to death, told not to drink water and given salt tablets in the locker room. Jesus. It's a wonder any of us are alive.

So was I and can point to a number of teammates who were knocked out multiple times who started struggling with life before they were 25.

In coaches defense they were doing what they had been taught and there was no scientific evidence what they were doing was causing harm.

The USMC had all recruits fight with pugil stick without helmets for almost 40 years too until they added pads and helmets after it was costing them recruits to medical reasons.

Also the old suspension helmets and fucking water helmets. Geez.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-25, 04:29

DWags wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

So was I and can point to a number of teammates who were knocked out multiple times who started struggling with life before they were 25.

In coaches defense they were doing what they had been taught and there was no scientific evidence what they were doing was causing harm.  

The USMC had all recruits fight with  pugil stick without helmets for almost  40 years too until they added pads and helmets after it was costing them recruits to medical reasons.

Also the old suspension helmets and fucking water helmets.  Geez.
They were all we needed, milk back then had a lot of calcium to build hard heads.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2015-08-25, 23:55

Yes. Little proof of long term genetic effects and some loosening up of the frontal lobe. People like impulsive people, they tend to go farther in life.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-08-26, 13:48

What sport will benefit the most from parents not letting their kids play football? My guess is soccer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-08-26, 14:22

steveschneider wrote:What sport will benefit the most from parents not letting their kids play football? My guess is soccer.
I would think Basketball or Baseball. All 3 sports can be started younger than football can though. All 3 are relatively cheap and you can start pickup games almost anywhere. Someone here or somewhere else posted about how Americans love sports that are statistical. Baseball is one of the most statistical games there is, there is a way to track everything. Soccer is very random, there can't really be advanced stats in soccer. I wanna say that Roc posted the link, it was pretty interesting. I've got nothing else to add here. As long as people are getting paid millions of dollars to bash their heads in, it is often better than the alternative, or at least seems more attractive, especially to those that aren't currently making millions of dollars.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-26, 14:45

Glad I'm the age I am. All this shit is changing in our country and I fear change. Sure, some of it might be for the good, but it' gets me out of my comfort zone. I'll probably be dead before football dies. I give it another 2 to three decades and it's over. You fuckers will be tailgating at quidich games and getting fired up to see some fuckhead run his opponent down in Madden 2043
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2