Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..?

+9
Vlad
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
Giant Moose
NigelUno
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
13 posters

Go down

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? Empty What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 14:53

I selected a flight out and a flight back - in between selecting the two, the price went up $50..  

Price Change

Your ticket price changed from $384.70 to $434.70. The airline could not confirm the original price due to pricing or availability changes that occurred after we posted the latest prices on our site. Continue booking or look for a different flight.

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? Empty Re: What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..?

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-15, 14:55

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/24/five-us-airlines-face-price-gouging-allegations.html
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? Empty Re: What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 14:56

The_Dude wrote:http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/24/five-us-airlines-face-price-gouging-allegations.html
yep - the airline industry these days is a racket..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-15, 14:57

Delete your cookies and start over.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 14:58

NigelUno wrote:Delete your cookies and start over.
cool - should I call IT support to ask how I do this?

probably not.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-15, 15:04

I thought Johnny Spirit always biked everywhere. confused
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 15:11

Giant Moose wrote:I thought Johnny Spirit always biked everywhere. confused
Johnny Spirit bikes everywhere.

Sheldon flies.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-15, 15:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Johnny Spirit bikes everywhere.

Sheldon flies.

Is that the same as Andy Kaufman is not Tony Clifton?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 15:14

Giant Moose wrote:

Sheldon flies.

Is that the same as Andy Kaufman is not Tony Clifton?
it's the same only different.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-15, 15:21

That's my plane. The extra $50 is because we made it a Champagne Flight. You get two glasses of champagne with your pilot. It'll be good to finally meet you. Keep your hands off my stick.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 15:24

tGreenWay wrote:That's my plane. The extra $50 is because we made it a Champagne Flight. You get two glasses of champagne with your pilot. It'll be good to finally meet you. Keep your hands off my stick.
what fun is it if I can't fondle your stick??

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-15, 15:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:That's my plane. The extra $50 is because we made it a Champagne Flight. You get two glasses of champagne with your pilot. It'll be good to finally meet you. Keep your hands off my stick.
what fun is it if I can't fondle your stick??

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? 2599972566 You can still tickle my knob.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-15, 15:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I thought Johnny Spirit always biked everywhere. confused
Johnny Spirit bikes everywhere.

Sheldon flies.

If that's true, then what's up with Spirit Airlines?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 15:40

tGreenWay wrote:

Sheldon flies.

If that's true, then what's up with Spirit Airlines?
I.. errr.. he..  HE flies that airline that Wesley Snipes flew in Passenger 57..

What's Up With This (Airfare-Related)..? Spirit_10541
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-09-15, 17:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I selected a flight out and a flight back - in between selecting the two, the price went up $50..  

Price Change

Your ticket price changed from $384.70 to $434.70. The airline could not confirm the original price due to pricing or availability changes that occurred after we posted the latest prices on our site. Continue booking or look for a different flight.

Was this on Kayak?

Earlier this summer when looking on Kayak I noticed that some of the cheapest options were through some other travel website/company, and Kayak was kind of acting as the broker for those other sites, not just the broker for the airlines directly (though they do have links with the airlines directly, though those prices are usually about the same as you'd get anywhere else).

In any event, Bob, I like the confidence that you're showing in the football team to go and book your flight for the national championship game so early in the season.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-15, 18:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I selected a flight out and a flight back - in between selecting the two, the price went up $50..  

Was this on Kayak?

Earlier this summer when looking on Kayak I noticed that some of the cheapest options were through some other travel website/company, and Kayak was kind of acting as the broker for those other sites, not just the broker for the airlines directly (though they do have links with the airlines directly, though those prices are usually about the same as you'd get anywhere else).

In any event, Bob, I like the confidence that you're showing in the football team to go and book your flight for the national championship game so early in the season.

Not kayak. Plane. Please pay attention. Thank-you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-15, 19:04

Oooooooooooeeee! What up with that?!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2015-09-16, 06:13

Does the pilot drink two glasses of champagne with everyone on the plane or does he drink two glasses of champagne separately with each passenger?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-16, 08:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Was this on Kayak?

it was Travelocity..

oh and, yes, if I have faith in anything in life, it's the football team.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-16, 11:32

Yes, I've noticed this as well, and not just on one website.  The fare shown in the search isn't always the same fare you're quoted when you try to book.  Often seems to be $50 or so higher.

Actually, I have a different question:  It is worth booking on thse various travel websites (Kayak, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.)??  Or is it better to use these sites to find the best fares and then go directly to the airline/hotel site and book there?  I figure that once I've located the lowest fare, I might as well eliminate the middle man, and I'll get better service from the provider directly.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-16, 12:18

Vlad wrote:Yes, I've noticed this as well, and not just on one website.  The fare shown in the search isn't always the same fare you're quoted when you try to book.  Often seems to be $50 or so higher.

Actually, I have a different question:  It is worth booking on thse various travel websites (Kayak, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.)??  Or is it better to use these sites to find the best fares and then go directly to the airline/hotel site and book there?  I figure that once I've located the lowest fare, I might as well eliminate the middle man, and I'll get better service from the provider directly.
I'd had experiences where flights might be cancelled, rescheduled, etc - and it seems that the people who book directly through the airline has priority in terms of being rescheduled or even switched to other airlines.

Which kinda makes sense - if you booked through Delta and you're at the Delta ticket counter, you're probably going to get better treatment than if you're standing there with your Travelocity info.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-16, 12:31

Make sure to check with the airline that you have a plane with a bike rack on the front. They don't all have them like cata buses do. Just fyi
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-16, 12:43

I just want to know how this affected the OP's self esteem.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-16, 12:46

InTenSity wrote:I just want to know how this affected the OP's self esteem.
I gotta be honest.. it dented it just a little bit.

Then I remembered how good it felt to pull on my MSU Pro-Combat jersey on Sunday, knowing that my football team had won a football game the night before. Then the memory of that $50 dissipated gently into the morning.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-16, 13:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Vlad wrote:Yes, I've noticed this as well, and not just on one website.  The fare shown in the search isn't always the same fare you're quoted when you try to book.  Often seems to be $50 or so higher.

I'd had experiences where flights might be cancelled, rescheduled, etc - and it seems that the people who book directly through the airline has priority in terms of being rescheduled or even switched to other airlines.

Which kinda makes sense - if you booked through Delta and you're at the Delta ticket counter, you're probably going to get better treatment than if you're standing there with your Travelocity info.

Exactly. And I think most hotels and airlines these days are guaranteeing the lowest prices on their own websites.  So, other than to search and compare, I see no reason to actually book on Expedia, etc.  You'll get better service if you book directly with the provider.  And if they're guarantying the lowest fare, then all the more reason.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-16, 14:09

Exactly. And I think most hotels and airlines these days are guaranteeing the lowest prices on their own websites. So, other than to search and compare, I see no reason to actually book on Expedia, etc. You'll get better service if you book directly with the provider. And if they're guarantying the lowest fare, then all the more reason.
There needs to be an *, though. Yes they guarantee the lowest fare, up to the time you fly, but you need to find it and show it to them. Also I know with Delta, they even gave themselves a $10 buffer. Doesn't Kayak just send you directly to the site for the most part, and you book it there?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-16, 16:07

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Does the pilot drink two glasses of champagne with everyone on the plane or does he drink two glasses of champagne separately with each passenger?

Yes. And yes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-09-16, 17:01

InTenSity wrote:
Exactly. And I think most hotels and airlines these days are guaranteeing the lowest prices on their own websites. So, other than to search and compare, I see no reason to actually book on Expedia, etc. You'll get better service if you book directly with the provider. And if they're guarantying the lowest fare, then all the more reason.
Doesn't Kayak just send you directly to the site for the most part, and you book it there?

That is my experience. The airlines do keep track of searches and bump prices in response, so when you see it, buy and quit hitting 'Refresh'
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-09-16, 18:12

This is what I always do. Use Travelocity or Orbitz and then use that info to book directly with the airline - which is almost always Delta out of Detroit at the same price. Do those travel sites even give you 24 hour cancellation?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down