Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon

+4
steveschneider
DWags
xsanguine
Turtleneck
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon Empty Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon

Post by Turtleneck Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 0:31

In phone interviews from inside the occupied building Saturday night, Ammon Bundy and his brother, Ryan Bundy, said they are not looking to hurt anyone. But they would not rule out violence if police try to remove them, they said, though they declined to elaborate.

"The facility has been the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds," Ammon Bundy said.

"We're planning on staying here for years, absolutely," he added. "This is not a decision we've made at the last minute."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/drama_in_burns_ends_with_quiet.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon Empty Re: Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon

Post by xsanguine Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 18:11

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon 276803595
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon Empty Re: Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon

Post by DWags Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 18:38

What size was the fire those guys lit on federal ground to get five years? Was it arson or was it a camp fire
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 18:39

I read elsewhere they burned approximately 135 acres.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 18:53

DWags wrote:What size was the fire those guys lit on federal ground to get five years? Was it arson or was it a camp fire

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/03/461831737/of-ranchers-and-rancor-the-roots-of-the-armed-occupation-in-oregon?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 19:46

DWags wrote:What size was the fire those guys lit on federal ground to get five years? Was it arson or was it a camp fire

The ranchers say it was controlled burning for grazing purposes. I'm not sure if it's the government or elsewhere that has alleged they did it to cover up a poaching incident, but that's an opposing viewpoint I've read.

Either way it spread to 139 government owned acres.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 20:24

The people that have taken over the refuge headquarters are not associated with the men that set the fires, nor are they even from Oregon.

Also, they claim the land belongs to the people and not the federal government. Fair enough. But they want the land turned over to ranchers, miners, and loggers. In other words, they want the land turned over to private interests. Hypothetically, say this actually happens. The land will not be in the hands of the people. It will be in the hands of the private interests. Furthermore, I doubt profits derived from from the exploitation of the people's land would be redistributed to the people by these private interests. So in reality, they do not really envision the land as belonging to the people.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 20:31

xsanguine wrote:

The ranchers say it was controlled burning for grazing purposes. I'm not sure if it's the government or elsewhere that has alleged they did it to cover up a poaching incident, but that's an opposing viewpoint I've read.

Then I have a problem if you're burning 100 acres of shit that's not yours. I think five is a bit stiff but some jail time and restitution would be agreeable.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 20:40

DWags wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Then I have a problem if you're burning 100 acres of shit that's not yours. I think five is a bit stiff but some jail time and restitution would be agreeable.

They were originally given relatively short sentences. The father received a three month sentence, and the son was given 12. The federal government appealed the sentences. Since they were charged under a federal anti-terrorism law, the federal government argued the judge could not circumvent the five year mandatory minimum sentence the law required. The federal government won the appeal and that is why they were ordered back to prison.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 20:44

Fuck. That's bull shit on the surface. It seems overkill to me. However I'd like to know the governments motivation. My feeling is just overzealous prosecutors.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 20:55

Never forget how the police handled a conflict with african americans standing off with the feds.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 21:04

DWags wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I go several different ways. I have no doubt all parties involved are pieces of shit... but beyond that it's just kind of entertaining.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 21:43

I wonder which one of the brothers running the show (if not both) is a fed.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 23:19

The media coverage on this is funny but not really at the same time compared to other similar situations.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 10:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The media coverage on this is funny but not really at the same time compared to other similar situations.
are you suggesting that there are different rules for white people?

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 10:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The media coverage on this is funny but not really at the same time compared to other similar situations.
are you suggesting that there are different rules for white people?

They are patriots, Bob.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 12:53

it looks like Vanilla ISIS is getting hungry...

Oregon Protesters Make Plea for Snacks
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 13:09

Wow. ISIS, huh?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 13:11

xsanguine wrote:Wow. ISIS, huh?

I prefer Y'all Qaeda
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 13:44

Yeahaadists.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 13:54

Ted Cruz denounced these guys today. I guess that means they really are in the wrong.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 15:05

Militia takes over national wildlife refuge headquarters in Oregon CX5i2vhWsAAnkUx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 15:11

Where is the dude to blame this on liberals?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 15:13

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Where is the dude to blame this on liberals?

Well, technically........
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 15:16

xsanguine wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Where is the dude to blame this on liberals?

Actually, you can blame Teddy Roosevelt.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 16:05

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Actually, you can blame Teddy Roosevelt.

He was a fat prick.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 17:32

Sometimes I get riled up and want to join some groups but then I have a joint and just want some pudding.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 20:01

I'm not too sympathetic to the yahoos doing the takeover.....but it seems the ranchers got a screw job here.

The Case for Civil Disobedience in Oregon Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429214/oregon-rancher-protests-civil-disobedience-justified

The prosecution of the Hammonds revolved mainly around two burns, one in 2001 and another in 2006. The government alleged that the first was ignited to cover up evidence of poaching and placed a teenager in danger. The Hammonds claimed that they started it to clear an invasive species, as is their legal right. Whatever its intent, the fire spread from the Hammonds’ property and ultimately ignited 139 acres of public land. But the trial judge found that the teenager’s testimony was tainted by age and bias and that the fire had merely damaged “juniper trees and sagebrush” — damage that “might” total $100 in value. The other burn was trifling. Here’s how the Ninth Circuit described it: In August 2006, a lightning storm kindled several fires near where the Hammonds grew their winter feed. Steven responded by attempting back burns near the boundary of his land. Although a burn ban was in effect, Steven did not seek a waiver. His fires burned about an acre of public land. In 2010 — almost nine years after the 2001 burn — the government filed a 19-count indictment against the Hammonds that included charges under the Federal Anti-terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, which mandates a five-year prison term for anyone who “maliciously damages or destroys, or attempts to damage or destroy, by means of fire or an explosive, any building, vehicle, or other personal or real property in whole or in part owned or possessed by, or leased to, the United States.”

Thus, he found that the mandatory-minimum sentence would — under the facts of this case — violate the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against “cruel and unusual punishment.” He sentenced Steven Hammond to two concurrent prison terms of twelve months and one day and Dwight Hammond to one prison term of three months. The Hammonds served their sentences without incident or controversy.

The federal government, however, was not content to let the matter rest. Despite the absence of any meaningful damage to federal land, the U.S. Attorney appealed the trial judge’s sentencing decision, demanding that the Hammonds return to prison to serve a full five-year sentence. The case went to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the court ruled against the Hammonds, rejecting their argument that the prosecutor violated the plea agreement by filing an appeal and dismissing the trial court’s Eighth Amendment concerns. The Hammonds were ordered back to prison. At the same time, they were struggling to pay a $400,000 civil settlement with the federal government, the terms of which gave the government right of first refusal to purchase their property if they couldn’t scrape together the money.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 20:42

They may be yahoos, but they're OUR yahoos.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 21:56

LooseGoose wrote:I'm not too sympathetic to the yahoos doing the takeover.....but it seems the ranchers got a screw job here.

The Case for Civil Disobedience in Oregon Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429214/oregon-rancher-protests-civil-disobedience-justified

The prosecution of the Hammonds revolved mainly around two burns, one in 2001 and another in 2006. The government alleged that the first was ignited to cover up evidence of poaching and placed a teenager in danger. The Hammonds claimed that they started it to clear an invasive species, as is their legal right. Whatever its intent, the fire spread from the Hammonds’ property and ultimately ignited 139 acres of public land. But the trial judge found that the teenager’s testimony was tainted by age and bias and that the fire had merely damaged “juniper trees and sagebrush” — damage that “might” total $100 in value. The other burn was trifling. Here’s how the Ninth Circuit described it: In August 2006, a lightning storm kindled several fires near where the Hammonds grew their winter feed. Steven responded by attempting back burns near the boundary of his land. Although a burn ban was in effect, Steven did not seek a waiver. His fires burned about an acre of public land. In 2010 — almost nine years after the 2001 burn — the government filed a 19-count indictment against the Hammonds that included charges under the Federal Anti-terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, which mandates a five-year prison term for anyone who “maliciously damages or destroys, or attempts to damage or destroy, by means of fire or an explosive, any building, vehicle, or other personal or real property in whole or in part owned or possessed by, or leased to, the United States.”

Thus, he found that the mandatory-minimum sentence would — under the facts of this case — violate the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against “cruel and unusual punishment.” He sentenced Steven Hammond to two concurrent prison terms of twelve months and one day and Dwight Hammond to one prison term of three months. The Hammonds served their sentences without incident or controversy.

The federal government, however, was not content to let the matter rest. Despite the absence of any meaningful damage to federal land, the U.S. Attorney appealed the trial judge’s sentencing decision, demanding that the Hammonds return to prison to serve a full five-year sentence. The case went to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the court ruled against the Hammonds, rejecting their argument that the prosecutor violated the plea agreement by filing an appeal and dismissing the trial court’s Eighth Amendment concerns. The Hammonds were ordered back to prison. At the same time, they were struggling to pay a $400,000 civil settlement with the federal government, the terms of which gave the government right of first refusal to purchase their property if they couldn’t scrape together the money.

I tend to agree. However, if they were poaching, I have little sympathy. Poachers are a scourge.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 22:04

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I'm not too sympathetic to the yahoos doing the takeover.....but it seems the ranchers got a screw job here.

I tend to agree. However, if they were poaching, I have little sympathy. Poachers are a scourge.

Sometimes the situation just calls for it, though. I mean, I enjoy an open flame charcoal grill as much as the next guy but for certain types of fish you can't beat poaching in a white wine and vinegar.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 22:06

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Sometimes the situation just calls for it, though. I mean, I enjoy an open flame charcoal grill as much as the next guy but for certain types of fish you can't beat poaching in a white wine and vinegar.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 22:50

"Armed insurrection is terrorism. The situation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge shouldn't be allowed to fester but should be dealt with firmly, swiftly and fairly. The continued disruption to the community of Burns and occupation of a federal facility is unacceptable. Those involved should be arrested and prosecuted."

- Earl Blumenauer

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 5 Jan 2016 - 7:30

I think what this illustrates is a breakdown in the moral fiber of the white, patriotic, gun-enthusiast family.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 5 Jan 2016 - 8:04

Turtleneck wrote:Ted Cruz denounced these guys today. I guess that means they really are in the wrong.
Ted Cruz is also praying for law enforcement..

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio called them "lawless." Texas Sen. Ted Cruz offered prayers for law enforcement officers. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie expressed sympathy for state officials who have "very difficult choices to make."
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 9:05

the fine Americans in Oregon who just want their country back are being led by someone who hates the government and wants the government out of his life.

oh... just a sec.. Leader of Armed Oregon Militia Received $530,000 Loan From the Government
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 11:19

the brave anti-government patriot who took a $500,000 loan from the government now believes he's the Rosa Parks of his generation..

We are doing the same thing Rosa Parks did. We are standing up to bad laws that destroy our freedom

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 8 Jan 2016 - 17:10

A rancher's perspective on federal regulation of land. He says at the start he does not approve of the tactics used by the occupiers, but sympathizes with what brought them to Oregon.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/01/08/im-an-oregon-rancher-heres-what-you-dont-understand-about-the-bundy-standoff/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sat 9 Jan 2016 - 10:20

Turtleneck wrote:A rancher's perspective on federal regulation of land. He says at the start he does not approve of the tactics used by the occupiers, but sympathizes with what brought them to Oregon.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/01/08/im-an-oregon-rancher-heres-what-you-dont-understand-about-the-bundy-standoff/

A lot of people that own a 1/4 acre have some pretty strong opinions on how people with 100's of acres feel about government's involvement. This doesn't fall under the contemporary liberal mantra that if someone else feels they're being pushed around you need to automatically believe them and adjust your behavior, apparently.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 9 Jan 2016 - 10:35

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:A rancher's perspective on federal regulation of land. He says at the start he does not approve of the tactics used by the occupiers, but sympathizes with what brought them to Oregon.

A lot of people that own a 1/4 acre have some pretty strong opinions on how people with 100's of acres feel about government's involvement. This doesn't fall under the contemporary liberal mantra that if someone else feels they're being pushed around you need to automatically believe them and adjust your behavior, apparently.

I grew up on 60 acres. I currently own three acres. Can I have an opinion? Let me know.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next