Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

+14
DWags
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
DoogieHouser
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
InTenSity
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
The_Dude
Code_Warrior
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama Empty Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:57 pm

I think it's clear that MSU wasn't at Alabama's level and I think most people agree. However, I've also heard pundits and others say that MSU really wasn't the 4th best team based only on the loss to Alabama. To me, you can't really say that until the natty game is played.

If Alabama blows Clemson out in a similar way, then what? To me, that would say that MSU's level was top 4, but Alabama's level is just in a class of its own. If Clemson competes, or wins, then the statement that MSU may not have been at a top 4 level has merit.

My personal opinion is that Alabama is just on another level and I expect Clemson to get blown out like Notre Dame got blown out by Alabama in the 2012 natty. I expect Clemson to score since they play a different style of offense than MSU, but I think it will be clear that Alabama is vastly superior.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama Empty Re: Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

Post by The_Dude Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Well...Clemson has a dual threat QB and runs a spread offense. Its kid of different. That is what you need to beat Bama. If it was a pro style team...forget about it.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama Empty Re: Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:06 pm

The_Dude wrote:Well...Clemson has a dual threat QB and runs a spread offense. Its kid of different. That is what you need to beat Bama. If it was a pro style team...forget about it.
I don't believe it will matter. I believe Alabama is going to be able to adjust and I think they're extremely motivated to make a statement. Clemson may score early in the game, but Alabama will shut them down once Clemson's game plan is figured out.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:07 pm

I'll evaluate what I want when I want.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'll evaluate what I want when I want.
I know you will sweetie. Whose my big boy? You are Trav. You are.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'll evaluate what I want when I want.
I know you will sweetie. Whose my big boy? You are Trav. You are.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm just gonna come here and let DWags tell me what I should think..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:26 pm

CFP had 4 teams.

All other teams can fight fur the #5 spot.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 pm

How fair is the NC game going to be? Bama gets unlimited practice time, while Clemson is limited to 20 hours this week because they start school before Bama does.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:33 pm

NigelUno wrote:CFP had 4 teams.

Yes, but would a bowout of Clemson change your opinion of MSU's talent level relative to Clemson and Oklahoma?
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Pundits are stupid. MSU slogged through games against Ohio state and Iowa and showed that when properly motivated, their O-line can dominate. There were multiple times in the first half that it looked like they could score and they crapped it away. After that it just got out of hand. I don't think it's a "on the same level" issue. I think it's a "didn't play their best game and needed it" issue. I think MSU could win 30% or better in x number of games against Bama. They have top tier talent. Just not a good showing. It happens.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Also, fuck Michigan. Can't wait until next year.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:39 pm

InTenSity wrote:How fair is the NC game going to be? Bama gets unlimited practice time, while Clemson is limited to 20 hours this week because they start school before Bama does.
It's not fair, but even if Clemson had unlimited practice time, I don't believe they have the talent to hang with Alabama.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Rocinante wrote:Pundits are stupid. MSU slogged through games against Ohio state and Iowa and showed that when properly motivated, their O-line can dominate. There were multiple times in the first half that it looked like they could score and they crapped it away.  After that it just got out of hand. I don't think it's a "on the same level" issue. I think it's a "didn't play their best game and needed it" issue. I think MSU could win 30% or better in x number of games against Bama. They have top tier talent. Just not a good showing. It happens.
With Cook's shoulder at 100%, 30% is a good number.  However, I believe that Cook's shoulder was nowhere near 100%.  It may not have been hurting him, but I think it was weak and much of his arsenal of throws wasn't available to him.

Last edited by Code_Warrior on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
NigelUno wrote:CFP had 4 teams.

Yes, but would a bowout of Clemson change your opinion of MSU's talent level relative to Clemson and Oklahoma?

Like a blowout would mean we're better than Oklahoma?

Seems convoluted. We're a CFP Top 4 team. A bad loss to Bama doesn't change that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:51 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

Seems convoluted. We're a CFP Top 4 team. A bad loss to Bama doesn't change that.
No. Merely comparable to Oklahoma. To me, the talent levels of Oklahoma, Clemson, and MSU are comparable and in multiple games against each other, I would expect each team to win half the games. However, Alabama would win against all these teams 70-80% of the time.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

No. Merely comparable to Oklahoma. To me, the talent levels of Oklahoma, Clemson, and MSU are comparable and in multiple games against each other, I would expect each team to win half the games. However, Alabama would win against all these teams 70-80% of the time.

I'll go along with that. Bama is easily the best.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:00 pm

And whoever told me Bama didn't have a QB and can't throw, can fuck off. TIA.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:And whoever told me Bama didn't have a QB and can't throw, can fuck off. TIA.
It wasn't me.  In fact, i predicted that's what would happen here:
https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t9434-if-bama-comes-out-slinging

Not that I'm some kind of prognosticator, it just seemed like an obvious game plan to me given our weakness in the secondary.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:12 pm

I don't need to wait. A 38-0 loss against anyone sucks big time. FCS schools are supposed to lose to FBS schools 38-0.

FBS schools shouldn't lose to other FBS schools by that amount unless you are Kansas or some dogshit program.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Giant Moose wrote:I don't need to wait. A 38-0 loss against anyone sucks big time. FCS schools are supposed to lose to FBS schools 38-0.

FBS schools shouldn't lose to other FBS schools by that amount unless you are Kansas or some dogshit program.
I understand that take, but I would counter that Alabama's talent level is unique among FBS schools and when they play FBS competition, it's similar to an FBS school playing an FCS school. I think Ohio State under Urbz gets close to Alabama's talent level, but last year's OSU game v. Alabama was more about Alabama taking OSU lightly, and OSU being extremely motivated. Alabama was up 21-6 on OSU, but they were able to come back and hang on. I think this year's Alabama team would smoke OSU just like they smoked us and I believe will smoke Clemson.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm pulling for Clemson.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm pulling for Clemson.
You just want everyone to keep laughing at MSU. You gunky.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm pulling for Clemson.
why would I pull for a cheater like Saban?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:
why would I pull for a cheater like Saban?

Because it will make MSU great again by lowering Clemson to MSU's level and discrediting Alabama's accomplishment as merely being the result of cheating. Given your documented obsession with SCum, you could then take a page from the SCummer manual of fandom and claim the MSU loss is really a national championship.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:why would I pull for a cheater like Saban?

Because it will make MSU great again by lowering Clemson to MSU's level and discrediting Alabama's accomplishment as merely being the result of cheating. Given your documented obsession with SCum, you could then take a page from the SCummer manual of fandom and claim the MSU loss is really a national championship.
but what about officiating?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:
but what about officiating?

C'mon Bob, you're slipping. Obviously Delaney arranges have a BIG officiating crew do the natty game to ensure that the game is played without a conference bias. Even though Delaney hates MSU, he needs OSU and SCum to be perceived well, so he will make sure that Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt. That way, when Bama smokes Clemson, MSU's profile is raised, but OSU can then claim that since they beat Alabama last year in spite of Saban's cheating, but MSU beat OSU this year but lost to a cheater, the net effect is that both OSU and MSU get a national title and SCum gets 2nd place for beating the other team in the SEC championship. Clemson just gets screwed because fuck the ACC, nobody cares about them anyway.

It's so simple I can't believe you didn't figure that out.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Nah... Fire Warner now!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:I think it's clear that MSU wasn't at Alabama's level and I think most people agree. However, I've also heard pundits and others say that MSU really wasn't the 4th best team based only on the loss to Alabama. To me, you can't really say that until the natty game is played.

If Alabama blows Clemson out in a similar way, then what? To me, that would say that MSU's level was top 4, but Alabama's level is just in a class of its own. If Clemson competes, or wins, then the statement that MSU may not have been at a top 4 level has merit.

My personal opinion is that Alabama is just on another level and I expect Clemson to get blown out like Notre Dame got blown out by Alabama in the 2012 natty. I expect Clemson to score since they play a different style of offense than MSU, but I think it will be clear that Alabama is vastly superior.

Huh? The MSU body of work this season did not qualify it to be a top 4 team. Sagarin predictor rating had MSU at like 22. We were the odd Duck in that 4 team playoff. OSU and Stanford were better teams, and would have had a much better showing against Alabama.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

You guys want to know how I know we were a top 4 team? Because we won the games to get there. Crazy, I know. I probably should stop looking at results on the field and start paying more attention to some guy's predictor rating on a website with a bunch of meaningless stats.

Like who GAF about the scoreboard? STATS BABY STATS
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

You are dreaming. Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma are comparable, with MSU behind Stanford, OSU, Mississippi, and TCU.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:45 pm

DoogieHouser wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

You are dreaming. Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma are comparable, with MSU behind Stanford, OSU, Mississippi, and TCU.

Nah. The big 12 is kind of fraudulent. No defense what so ever. OU is NOT in the same boat as Clemson/Bama. KSU, Ok St, TX Tech, and OU all got ran over. Baylor played and beat a soft ACC team.

Im not even sure Michigan State could beat Ole Miss. The difference in speed between Bama and MSU was glaring. Ole Miss beat Bama. They have the overall team speed that would give us major problems.

We need to upgrade speed at our skill positions on offense and in the secondary to serious contend for a natty.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:47 pm

The_Dude wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:

Nah.  The big 12 is kind of fraudulent.  No defense what so ever.  OU is NOT in the same boat as Clemson/Bama.  KSU, Ok St, TX Tech, and OU all got ran over.  Baylor played and beat a soft ACC team.

Im not even sure Michigan State could beat Ole Miss.  The difference in speed between Bama and MSU was glaring.  Ole Miss beat Bama.  They have the overall team speed that would give us major problems.

We need to upgrade speed at our skill positions on offense and in the secondary to serious contend for a natty.

Being 2 wins away from a national championship isn't seriously contending?  Okay.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Rocinante wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Nah.  The big 12 is kind of fraudulent.  No defense what so ever.  OU is NOT in the same boat as Clemson/Bama.  KSU, Ok St, TX Tech, and OU all got ran over.  Baylor played and beat a soft ACC team.

Im not even sure Michigan State could beat Ole Miss.  The difference in speed between Bama and MSU was glaring.  Ole Miss beat Bama.  They have the overall team speed that would give us major problems.

Being 2 wins away from a national championship isn't seriously contending?  Okay.

No. We lost 38-0. Look at the athletes Clemson and Bama have all over the field...once our team looks like that, we will be serious contenders.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

No. We lost 38-0. Look at the athletes Clemson and Bama have all over the field...once our team looks like that, we will be serious contenders.

Does your opinion change if Clemson gets smoked 38-0?
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

After MSU lost to Alabama in the Citrus Bowl we saw major changes and improvements that resulted in Big Ten Championships and wining the Rose and Cotton Bowls.

At the same time while Dantonio thought he was improving MSU to match up better against Alabama, Saban was improving what he had getting deeper depth charts and faster LB's.

MSU was good enough to beat Ohio State and umaa at their place, good enough to beat Iowa on a neutral field and all that was done with recruiting classes from 2011 through tentative 2016 ranked #31, #41, #40, #22, #22 and #15 so far in '16

Alabama's recruiting for the same classes: #1, #1, #1, #1, #2 and #9 in '16. All those 4* and 5* players and slippage in Tuscaloosa is from #1 or 2 to #9.

(both according to Rivals)

I think Dantonio smells the coffee again and we see a drift to more mobile QB's, better (faster) receivers and LB's who are faster/stronger than we have seen.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:20 pm

DoogieHouser wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

I believe that Alabama is going to smoke Clemson, but we'll know for sure Tuesday at about Midnight.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

No. And Clemson wont get rolled.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

No. And Clemson wont get rolled.
Maybe next time the teams that you root for should win a few more games, then they might be selected. Don't go around discounting MSU being in the playoff. Top 5 team.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm

we'll always be #1 in my heart.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next