Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

+14
DWags
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
DoogieHouser
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
InTenSity
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
The_Dude
Code_Warrior
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 Empty Re: Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

Post by Rocinante Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 17:16

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
If you watched that game and came away that MSU lost because of speed, then it's no wonder that your analysis falls short time and time again. Alabama's DL flat out kicked our ass. Either Cook was hit, or the pocket was collapsing before he had a chance to set on nearly every play. We already knew they would stuff the run, but the fact that their DL prevented Cook from ever having any comfort in the pocket killed everything we did. When you can do that with only 4 guys, while dropping 7, and the safeties can sit back deep with no need to even think about helping to stop the run, it becomes insanely difficult to pass the ball. All of that directly led to the defense getting worn down. A couple of big plays can be overcome if you can move the ball, but we couldn't.

Can't compete for a national championship? Or can't compete with Alabama on their best day? It's two different things, and the latter almost never had the chance to happen. Remember how Arkansas beat Ole Miss, with the crazy blind lateral on 4th down in OT? If Arkansas doesn't pull off that miracle, Alabama isn't in the SEC title game, doesn't win the SEC title, and likely not in the CFP. No other DL in college football would dominate the way Bama's did. Not saying we would have beaten whoever we would have played, but it wouldn't have been 38-0. And yes, I know that we had an equally miraculous win. It's called football. But my point is that we don't need to be better than Alabama in order to win a national championship. They aren't going to be in our path every year, and they aren't going to be this good every year. 2 years ago, if there were a CFP, we would have been in there with FSU, Auburn, and Stanford. Bama wasn't there. Anyone here that doesn't think we were the best of those by January needs to go back and re-watch the Rose Bowl and NC game. Even last year, by Saban's own admission, Alabama wasn't motivated in the CFP. We caught them when they were extremely motivated with an NFL front 7. That's not going to happen every year, we just caught it when it was. Who knows how we would have fared against Clemson, Oklahoma, or someone else, but I think that is largely part of the point of the OP.

Yep.

Coker had all day to throw and Cook didn't. That basically won the game for Bama.

I don't know about "all day' but he had more time than Cook.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 Empty Re: Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 17:31

+1 to Miami. Good post. Thanks. I enjoyed reading it. I like you. No, I love you.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 17:32

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:+1 to Miami. Good post. Thanks. I enjoyed reading it. I like you. No, I love you.
how are tSwill pick 'em results going?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 17:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Just giving my opinions after actually watching teams play on the field.

MSU really lacks the top end speed at key position groups that the other top teams have.
If you watched that game and came away that MSU lost because of speed, then it's no wonder that your analysis falls short time and time again. Alabama's DL flat out kicked our ass. Either Cook was hit, or the pocket was collapsing before he had a chance to set on nearly every play. We already knew they would stuff the run, but the fact that their DL prevented Cook from ever having any comfort in the pocket killed everything we did. When you can do that with only 4 guys, while dropping 7, and the safeties can sit back deep with no need to even think about helping to stop the run, it becomes insanely difficult to pass the ball. All of that directly led to the defense getting worn down. A couple of big plays can be overcome if you can move the ball, but we couldn't.

Can't compete for a national championship? Or can't compete with Alabama on their best day? It's two different things, and the latter almost never had the chance to happen. Remember how Arkansas beat Ole Miss, with the crazy blind lateral on 4th down in OT? If Arkansas doesn't pull off that miracle, Alabama isn't in the SEC title game, doesn't win the SEC title, and likely not in the CFP. No other DL in college football would dominate the way Bama's did. Not saying we would have beaten whoever we would have played, but it wouldn't have been 38-0. And yes, I know that we had an equally miraculous win. It's called football. But my point is that we don't need to be better than Alabama in order to win a national championship. They aren't going to be in our path every year, and they aren't going to be this good every year. 2 years ago, if there were a CFP, we would have been in there with FSU, Auburn, and Stanford. Bama wasn't there. Anyone here that doesn't think we were the best of those by January needs to go back and re-watch the Rose Bowl and NC game. Even last year, by Saban's own admission, Alabama wasn't motivated in the CFP. We caught them when they were extremely motivated with an NFL front 7. That's not going to happen every year, we just caught it when it was. Who knows how we would have fared against Clemson, Oklahoma, or someone else, but I think that is largely part of the point of the OP.
there were a lot of "if/then's" in our season, as well.. playing that sort of game is the kind of thing I choose not to participate in.

Sounds like we got drilled 38-0. The "if/then" concept doesn't change that.. for me, anyway.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 18:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

there were a lot of "if/then's" in our season, as well.. playing that sort of game is the kind of thing I choose not to participate in.

Sounds like we got drilled 38-0. The "if/then" concept doesn't change that.. for me, anyway.

It's what I'm trying to tell these Michigan slappies. Trying to tell that to OSU slappies.

27-3
16-13

fucking conference champs.

Thanks Bob
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 18:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Thanks for pointing out exactly what I pointed out, or did you miss where I said that I know that we had an equally miraculous win and then went on to spell out what my point was (i.e., not about this year, but about other years, and how a great Alabama is not always going to be in our path).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 19:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:+1 to Miami. Good post. Thanks. I enjoyed reading it. I like you. No, I love you.
So much love going around on this board in the new year. Did I miss a board-wide new year's resolution?

Love you, too.

Hugs,

Miami
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 19:20

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yep.

Coker had all day to throw and Cook didn't. That basically won the game for Bama.

Cooks shoulder was clearly still not close to 100%. Without him at 100%, it didn't matter if the lines could hold up.

OUs and Clemsons speed and athletes in their passing games would have murdered us. And don't use the 'we caught a motivated team' bs. Its the damn playoffs. Every team is motivated. Losers excuse for Saban to say Bama wasn't motivated vs Urban Meyer in the playoffs. Yeah..uh huh.

But...I still stand by my point. We need a faster secondary, running back, and at least 1 WR that can take the top off the D. Mumphery could do it. And he's in the NFL now and I thought under utilized but we also had to feed Lippett and Langford.

We have a lot of inexperienced athletes at WR next year..but Davis, Stewart, Madaris, and the frosh (come on Corley) have some size and good athleticism. Davis reminds me of a young Lippett. Big and rangy.

Adams I thought would break in next year and give us some speed/quickness. Our backs will be good with Scot t possibly being a star...but still no home run speed.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 20:44

It was really only our safeties that got burned by speed in the secondary against Alabama, and that was to Ridley. No safety has matched up with him for speed this year. He's burned guys with "SEC speed" all year. Coker didn't always hit him, but he was beating safeties.

I disagree about OU and Clemson's passing games murdering us. Our DL would have done MUCH better causing problems in the backfield than against Alabama. Watson would have given us problems, but there's no shame in that. I'm not saying we'd shut either offense down, but they wouldn't shut us down either. I'd especially give us a good chance against Oklahoma. Not sure about Clemson. We've done pretty good fencing in running QBs, but if we were to do that to Watson, then it just gives him time to pass, and he's pretty good at that, as well. We'll see Monday. If Clemson gives Bama trouble, I'll gladly say that they would have kicked our butts, and I'll be confident in saying that we're no better than 3rd best in the country, and no worse than 4th.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 20:47

The_Dude wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yep.

Cooks shoulder was clearly still not close to 100%. Without him at 100%, it didn't matter if the lines could hold up.

OUs and Clemsons speed and athletes in their passing games would have murdered us. And don't use the 'we caught a motivated team' bs. Its the damn playoffs. Every team is motivated. Losers excuse for Saban to say Bama wasn't motivated vs Urban Meyer in the playoffs. Yeah..uh huh.

But...I still stand by my point. We need a faster secondary, running back, and at least 1 WR that can take the top off the D. Mumphery could do it. And he's in the NFL now and I thought under utilized but we also had to feed Lippett and Langford.

We have a lot of inexperienced athletes at WR next year..but Davis, Stewart, Madaris, and the frosh (come on Corley) have some size and good athleticism. Davis reminds me of a young Lippett. Big and rangy.

Adams I thought would break in next year and give us some speed/quickness. Our backs will be good with Scot t possibly being a star...but still no home run speed.

Solid use of "we" and "us". You slipped a few posts back by switching between "we" and "MSU".

Seems like you'd have this schtick thing down by now.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser Wed 6 Jan 2016 - 21:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's funny how this time last week, we were all saying that Bama was overrated, the SEC was overrated, etc.

now we're all acting like Bama could match up against the '85 Chicago Bears.. and my guess is that if they beat Clemson by more than a field goal, we'll continue with that "they're the greatest team in the history of football" narrative.. Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 502811600

You can dig-out the old posts, but I told people, that thought the SEC and Alabama were overrated, that they were crazy/delusional. One guy posted in response about the bad bowl record the SEC had last year. That was an aberration. Look at the SEC's national championship record. Stellar. I posted how the SEC West was the toughest conference division in the country, with the Big Ten East 4th and the Big Ten West something like 7th. With the African American footprint in the SE part of the country, the SEC will (almost)always be the premier conference in the country.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 7 Jan 2016 - 9:20

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:there were a lot of "if/then's" in our season, as well.. playing that sort of game is the kind of thing I choose not to participate in.

It's what I'm trying to tell these Michigan slappies. Trying to tell that to OSU slappies.

27-3
16-13

fucking conference champs.

Thanks Bob
I know.. I'm wearing the t-shirt right now.

GO GREEN!!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 7 Jan 2016 - 9:21

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:there were a lot of "if/then's" in our season, as well.. playing that sort of game is the kind of thing I choose not to participate in.

Thanks for pointing out exactly what I pointed out, or did you miss where I said that I know that we had an equally miraculous win and then went on to spell out what my point was (i.e., not about this year, but about other years, and how a great Alabama is not always going to be in our path).
you're welcome. Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Thu 7 Jan 2016 - 17:44

Bump because of all the political thread spam on the main page.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 2:19

Well, I believe I have my answer and MSU doesn't measure up to Bama or Clemson. I thought Bama would destroy Clemson, but Clemson's athletes are clearly as good as Alabama's.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 2:24

Matt Hoeppner ‏@matthoeppner 12m12 minutes ago
The last loss for MSU each of the last two football AND basketball seasons were all to the eventual national champs (OSU, Bama, Duke, UConn)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 2:51

-DBs weak.
-OL Fair/good but it was too big a job to protect a QB that has only modest mobility.
-I still think Cook was not 100%
-No game breaking speed at WR.
-Poor decision not to stay up-tempo
- Staff hadn't been there before and they choked-up a bit.

All of this stuff is understandable and fixable. Just getting there this year with all the injuries and limitations was a great effort by all the coaches and players.

Its just too damn bad the offense laid such an egg. If theyd just got on the board when Cook threw the INT it could have been a competitive game.

Learn and grow.

And one more thing:

FUCK SCum.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 10:15

OK, the natty game is over. Did the result of our game change from losing 38-0 or does that still stand?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:15

Code_Warrior wrote:Well, I believe I have my answer and MSU doesn't measure up to Bama or Clemson. I thought Bama would destroy Clemson, but Clemson's athletes are clearly as good as Alabama's.

Big of you to show-up with your tail between your legs. MSU would have a hard time beating Notre Dame, let alone Clemson, Oklahoma, Stanford and TCU. I still stand by my point that MSU was the third best team in the Big Ten behind OSU and Michigan. Without the fluky plays we lose to them 8 or 9 out of ten times. We had no business being in this playoff. Chalk it up to experience. Now we need to keep marching. Reality can be a bitch, but also a teacher.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:32

DoogieHouser wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:Well, I believe I have my answer and MSU doesn't measure up to Bama or Clemson. I thought Bama would destroy Clemson, but Clemson's athletes are clearly as good as Alabama's.

Big of you to show-up with your tail between your legs. MSU would have a hard time beating Notre Dame, let alone Clemson, Oklahoma, Stanford and TCU. I still stand by my point that MSU was the third best team in the Big Ten behind OSU and Michigan. Without the fluky plays we lose to them 8 or 9 out of ten times. We had no business being in this playoff. Chalk it up to experience. Now we need to keep marching. Reality can be a bitch, but also a teacher.
What were the flukey plays against osu?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:35

DoogieHouser wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:Well, I believe I have my answer and MSU doesn't measure up to Bama or Clemson.  I thought Bama would destroy Clemson, but Clemson's athletes are clearly as good as Alabama's.

Big of you to show-up with your tail between your legs. MSU would have a hard time beating Notre Dame, let alone Clemson, Oklahoma,  Stanford and TCU. I still stand by my point that MSU was the third best team in the Big Ten behind OSU and Michigan. Without the fluky plays we lose to them 8 or 9 out of ten times. We had no business being in this playoff. Chalk it up to experience. Now we need to keep marching. Reality can be a bitch, but also a teacher.

Flukey plays kept OSU in that game jackass.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:48

InTenSity wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:

I think he's talking about the Damion Terry fumble and muffed punt by Kings.

Wait. That's not right.

Love all of the people that come out of the woodwork NOW Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 502811600 Sorry guys, we beat Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigan. We were the better team. Check the box score, if needed.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I think he's talking about the Damion Terry fumble and muffed punt by Kings.

Wait. That's not right.

Love all of the people that come out of the woodwork NOW Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 502811600 Sorry guys, we beat Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigan. We were the better team. Check the box score, if needed.

Doogie. Wait till natty game to evaluate MSU loss to Bama - Page 3 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 12:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote: jackass.

I second this nomination, do I hear a third?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 15:11

You must not have watched Clemson play. Watson is the best payer in the country and they have athletes all over the field on both sides of the ball.

MSUs offense this year just wasn't that great. Outside of Burbridge, the WRs and RB groups were sorely lacking. No speed. 2014 had a championship level offense but we played two simply great teams that exposed our safeties.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 16:35

The_Dude wrote:

You must not have watched Clemson play. Watson is the best payer in the country and they have athletes all over the field on both sides of the ball.

MSUs offense this year just wasn't that great. Outside of Burbridge, the WRs and RB groups were sorely lacking. No speed. 2014 had a championship level offense but we played two simply great teams that exposed our safeties.
I watched a couple of Clemson games, but mostly I just discounted the ACC, so I didn't respect them as much as they deserved.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 17:03

Since's Saban's first full season in Tuscaloosa in '09 (He wasn't there for the first 3 games in '08) here's the losses:

'08 - 2 losses / To UF/Urban Meyer in SEC Championship and Utah in the Sugar Bowl
'09 - 0 losses 14-0 National Championship
'10 - 3 losses  SC/Spurrier, 21-24 to L$U and 27-28 to Aurburn (Cam Newton/NC)
'11 - 1 loss to L$U 6-9 and beat L$U 21-0 for National Championship
'12 - 1 loss to TAMU/Manzeil / beat ND 42-14 for National Championship
'13 - 2 losses  Auburn on the FG return and Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl
'14 - 2 losses Ole Miss 17-23 and Ohio State in CFP 35-42
'15 - 1 loss Ole Miss 37-43  beat Clemson for National Championship

Every loss has been to teams with fast break/quick snap option offenses and with the exceptions of the SC, Utah and L$U losses every team had mobile QB's.

To date Dantonio has done a nice job of building teams to compete and often beat every team in the Big Ten and even ND where the losses haven't been blowouts.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:20

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:

Big of you to show-up with your tail between your legs. MSU would have a hard time beating Notre Dame, let alone Clemson, Oklahoma,  Stanford and TCU. I still stand by my point that MSU was the third best team in the Big Ten behind OSU and Michigan. Without the fluky plays we lose to them 8 or 9 out of ten times. We had no business being in this playoff. Chalk it up to experience. Now we need to keep marching. Reality can be a bitch, but also a teacher.

Flukey plays kept OSU in that game jackass.
Flukey plays kept UM in the game against us, too. 12 seconds for a 1 yard run in which the refs are pulling MSU guys off the pile BEFORE EVEN BLOWING THE WHISTLE!! Really? We dominated offensively and defensively in BOTH the UM and OSU games.

If other teams were more deserving of a playoff spot than MSU, they wouldn't have blown their chances to get there.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:27

DoogieHouser wrote:

You realize we were using second stringers and true freshman at Michigan and the team that played Maryland OSU PSU and iowa was a much better team than Michigan right?

Flurry plays at OSU? Help me out. Can you be specific? Doubling michigans yardage and first downs might be flakey to you but scoring 27 points is not.

Doogie, unless you can explain our flukey plays at OSU, maybe you should put your helmet down and sit the next couple plays out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:40

DWags wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:

You realize we were using second stringers and true freshman at Michigan and the team that played Maryland OSU PSU and iowa was a much better team than Michigan right?

Flurry plays at OSU? Help me out. Can you be specific? Doubling michigans yardage and first downs might be flakey to you but scoring 27 points is not.

Doogie, unless you can explain our flukey plays at OSU, maybe you should put your helmet down and sit the next couple plays out.

Don't feed the trolls brother.

Nothing flukey bout the OSU game. And in the UM game...we can point to the last play but UM got a beyond gift TD and all the injuries msu had were fluke too.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3