Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials?

5 posters

Go down

Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials? Empty Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 14:54

Right now the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which writes the rules on what can and can’t be permitted in human subjects research, is in the process of rewriting its whole ethics code. It issued a set of proposed regulations in September, and January 6 marked the deadline to submit comments on those proposed changes.

Overall, social scientists are pleased with the direction these new rules are pushing: If finalized, surveys and low-risk experiments would no longer be held to the same standard as medical trials, which researchers find unduly burdensome.

But snuck into the 300-plus pages of proposed rules is one line suggesting the government intends to close the major loophole that makes studying public officials practically possible.

When academics want to conduct any sort of research on humans, their research plans must first be scrutinized by an ethics body to ensure that the research won’t harm the participants involved – or, if risks are inevitable, that they’re at least minimized.

These bodies are often called institutional review boards, or IRBs, and every university or research facility that conducts studies on humans has one.

Though each board operates independently, they are all bound by a set of government rules that direct them to mandate particular safety and privacy requirements.

For example, the federal government directs IRBs on when to require researchers to ask for consent before performing studies on humans. It has also designated several vulnerable populations, including children and pregnant women, that require additional safeguards.

The exemption, first written into the rules in 1981, is intended to lower the barrier to study government officials. At the time, political scientists relied at least partially on interviews with members of Congress and other public figures to gain a clearer picture of how government institutions functioned. Interviews with members of Congress, for example, illuminated how the lawmakers interacted with lobbyists and the role that rank-and-file members played in the lawmaking process.

"When researchers study political officials' behavior, they are studying them in their official capacity as democratic representatives (or other official), not as private citizens," wrote Jessica Robinson Preece, a political scientist at Brigham Young University, in a public comment on the proposed changes. "That public officials forfeit some of their privacy and individual protections is a well-established principle to ensure democratic accountability."

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/7/10729338/academics-study-government-officials
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials? Empty Re: Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 14:55

No, they are not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials? Empty Re: Is the Obama Administration trying to lift the research exemption on studying public officials?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 15:04

Are you sure? Like 100% sure?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 15:04

Turtleneck wrote:Are you sure? Like 100% sure?

I didn't read a word of that but yes. I am sure.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 15:05

How can you be sure if you do not know what to be sure about?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-01-07, 15:06

Turtleneck wrote:How can you be sure if you do not know what to be sure about?

I'm sure that Obama is ruining America and I have no idea if I remembered to put clean underwear on this morning.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 15:08

Turtleneck wrote:How can you be sure if you do not know what to be sure about?

I am sure. That's pretty fucking clear isn't it turtleneck? I didn't say "maybe I'm sure." I said I'm fucking sure goddamn it. Stop questioning me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 17:56

Where were you on October 11th at 4pm?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 18:01

Turtleneck wrote:Where were you on October 11th at 4pm?

My aunt and uncle's celebrating my grandmothers 95th birthday. You?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 18:11

I'm doing the questioning, Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-07, 18:37

This may or may not be approved.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-01-07, 22:59

You need to repeat the topic in the first thread. By time I click on topic and get to posts, I've forgotten the topic and can see the whole thing on mobile.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-01-08, 09:31

should be:
first *post
and *can't
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down