Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest

+11
Jethro Bodeen
MiamiSpartan
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
I.B. Fine
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
CheesySpartan
tGreenWay
15 posters

Go down

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest Empty RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest

Post by Guest 2016-06-03, 19:43

Muhammad Ali put on life support as family warned ‘the end is near  

Muhammad Ali in 'Grave Condition' in Phoenix Hospital

Muhammad Ali is in "grave condition" in a Phoenix-area hospital, a well-informed source tells NBC News, as the boxing legend continues to battle a respiratory condition.

The 74-year-old former heavyweight champion's family has gathered by his bedside just a day after he had been hospitalized in what spokesman Bob Gunnell said Thursday was to be a "brief" stay.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2016-06-04, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest Empty Re: RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-03, 19:46

I'd fight him now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-03, 19:46

I'd kick his ass, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-03, 19:47

Punk ass rope-a-dope bitch. I'll sting your bee and eat your butterfly.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-06-03, 20:01

He'd still beat us all...
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-03, 20:05

One thing I enjoy about being my age is I pretty much remember him in his prime or just outside of it. Do yourself a favor and Google Ali Liston or any old Ali fight. Patterson. Greatest to ever live. Would have called the round Tyson would have went down if both were in their prime.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-03, 20:47

DWags wrote:One thing I enjoy about being my age is I pretty much remember him in his prime or just outside of it. Do yourself a favor and Google Ali Liston or any old Ali fight. Patterson. Greatest to ever live. Would have called the round Tyson would have went down if both were in their prime.

A lot of Tyson's wins were mental, he intimidated the shit out of people. Never would have worked on Ali, so you're dead on.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-04, 00:16

CheesySpartan wrote:He'd still beat us all...

Horseshit. I'll go kick his ass right now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-04, 00:17

I'm too late. NBC says he's gone. RIP.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-04, 00:42

:(
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-06-04, 01:10

Rip to a legend
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-04, 01:17

Here's a thing to read of his quotes

http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/16146367
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-04, 01:18

tGreenWay wrote:I'm too late. NBC says he's gone. RIP.

Some people will do anything to avoid fighting me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-04, 09:22

Some of his banter with Howard Cosell is almost as classic as his fights.
RIP The Greatest
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-04, 09:24

I.B. Fine wrote:Some of his banter with Howard Cosell is almost as classic as his fights.
RIP The Greatest

Those two were a match made in heaven, and I hope they're enjoying a good laugh this morning.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-06-04, 10:08

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest 1035x697-20140125-thebeatles2-x1800-1390712178

Knocking out the Fab 4. RIP to the greatest that ever lived.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-04, 10:38

Ali brought middleweight style to heavyweight boxing.  He got bigger with more powerful punches and never lost the foot and hand speed that he had as a middle and light heavyweight when he moved up.  

Until Ali (then called Clay) heavyweights were powerful punchers.  Joe Louis had very quick powerful punches but didn't move quickly.  Marciano would batter opponents.  Floyd Patterson had a lot of finesse but never dominated like Ali.

I didn't realize how much of an Ali fan I was until the '96 Olympic opening ceremony when Atlanta native Evander Holyfield ran the torch to the top of the platform and handed it to Ali who had been standing out of view and every adult in the room including myself started choking up.

Have to wonder how much more he would have won if his draft protest didn't take  3 years out of would have been the prime of his career.

Here's a nice piece wriiten by Keith Olbermann from Bill Simmons new web site The Ringer

https://theringer.com/muhammad-ali-keith-olbermann-remembrance-2d81ba11561b#.c7qzw02xi

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-06-04, 13:00

DWags wrote:One thing I enjoy about being my age is I pretty much remember him in his prime or just outside of it. Do yourself a favor and Google Ali Liston or any old Ali fight. Patterson. Greatest to ever live. Would have called the round Tyson would have went down if both were in their prime.
I was too young to really remember him as an active fighter, so for most of my formative years, I had heard about him, but not seen much more than clips here and there. This was also a world before the internet, let alone YouTube. But I remember when Classic Sports Network (ESPN Classic) launched in the mid 90s, they would show some of his old fights. I don't think they had the rights to the legendary bouts, so it was against a lot of mediocre fighters, big gumpy white guys, etc. I still loved watching them. They weren't the greatest bouts, but the way he'd just toy with guys for round after round after round, until he finally decided that he felt like fighting, and would just flip a switch and dispose of them.

What an incredible man. RIP.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2016-06-05, 08:35

Greatest what? Want a taste of reality? This is the real Ali.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-06-05, 09:13

Jethro Bodeen wrote:Greatest what? Want a taste of reality? This is the real Ali.

He sounds like Trump.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-05, 09:19

steveschneider wrote:RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest 1035x697-20140125-thebeatles2-x1800-1390712178

Knocking out the Fab 4. RIP to the greatest that ever lived.

Just on between the lines on ESPN. After the Beatles had left Ali asked "Who were those little guys". Didn't know who they were.

Tom Seaver was with Jeremy Schapp's dad promoting a book on the Miracle Mets and they met Ali at a dinner, Ali was talking to them for a 1/2 hour and looks at Seaver and says "Tom, you're a good guy, what paper do you write for".

I think he was pretty single minded back then.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-05, 09:31

Jethro Bodeen wrote:Greatest what? Want a taste of reality? This is the real Ali.

Pretty much what Malcolm X was saying at the time.  If you were Muslim, you were tired of the weak integration effort and the slow process by which it was happening.  Many Muslims said fuck it, lets not integrate at all, if we do, we're fucked.  

Here's part of a speech by Malcolm X.   Taken out of context and what was being said by Muslims at the time, that Ali clip sounds shocking now.  But in the bigger context I understand it.

"But today the whole world is talking about the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and the divine solution he received from the God of our forefathers. Not your God but from the God of our forefathers. Not a temporary solution which will benefit only the hand-picked upper-class Negroes, but a solution divinely designed to solve the plight of the Black masses in this country permanently and forever. The government does not want our people to listen and understand the solution that God has given the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. The government is against Mr. Muhammad because the government is against our God. In order to trick our people away from God's true solutions, the government is trying to deceive our people with a false solution, a phony solution, a deceitful solution called token integration. I may add, whenever you get on the bus or the subway or the streetcar and you have to use a token, that token is not the real thing but it is a substitute for the real thing. And wherever you have a token, you have a substitute. And wherever you have token integration, you don't have anything but a substitute for integration and there's no real integration anywhere in North America -- North, South, East, or West, not even in San Francisco, Oakland, or Berkeley. Has the government effort to bribe our people with token integration made our plight better; or has it made it worse? When you tried to integrate the white community in search of better housing, the whites there fled to the suburbs. And the community that you thought would be integrated soon deteriorated into another all-Black slum. What happened to the liberal whites? Why did they flee? We thought that they were supposed to be our friends. And why did the neighborhood deteriorate only after our people moved in? It is the tricky real estate agents posing as white liberal friends who encourage our people to force their way into white communities, and then they themselves sell these integrated houses at such high prices that our people again are forced to take in roomers to offset the high house notes. This creates in the new area the same overcrowded conditions, and the new community soon deteriorates into the same slum conditions from which we thought we had escaped. The only one who has benefited is the white real estate agent who poses as our friend, as a liberal, and who sells us the house in a community destined by his own greedy schemes to become nothing but a high-priced slum area. Today our people can see that integrated housing has not solved our problems. At best it was only a temporary solution. One in which only the wealthy, hand-picked Negroes found temporary benefit. After the 1954 Supreme Court desegregation decision, the same thing happened when our people tried to integrate the schools. All the white students disappeared into the suburbs. Now the caliber of what our people thought was to be an integrated school has fallen to the same level of the slum school from which we thought we had escaped. Just as efforts to integrate housing failed miserably, efforts to integrate schools have been an even more miserable failure. Having failed to get integrated housing and failed to get integrated schools' now the Negro leaders are demanding integrated jobs. That is they are demanding a certain quota, or percentage, of white people's jobs.

But the only permanent solution is complete separation or some land of our own in a country of our own. All other courses will lead to violence and bloodshed. It will lead to the destruction of America, and it will also lead to the destruction of our people who fall for it. So his message is flee for your lives and save yourselves. And I thank you.

- See more at: http://www.blackpast.org/1963-malcolm-x-racial-separation#sthash.d40fdS0Z.dpuf"
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-05, 15:06

Two of these guys are semi-famous

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest CkNY3OfWYAAoJBz
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-06-05, 15:43

Bob Dylan on Muhammad Ali:

“If the measure of greatness is to gladden the heart of every human being on the face of the earth, then he truly was the greatest. In every way he was the bravest, the kindest and the most excellent of men.”
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2016-06-05, 17:32

duffy munn wrote:

He sounds like Trump.

If you are serious- (and I'll assume you are) you're full of shit. You only WANT Trump to sound like that. Please post equivalent virulent racism and racial separatist views by Trump. You cant. There isn't any, except in your vacant skull.

Because you are a full of shit, brainless liberal, you exist in an insular world governed by leftist cliches and vacuous, self-righteousness that insulates you from actually having to examine the world and develop opinions based on facts.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-05, 17:46

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

He sounds like Trump.

If you are serious- (and I'll assume you are) you're full of shit. You only WANT Trump to sound like that. Please post equivalent virulent racism and racial separatist views by Trump. You cant. There isn't any, except in your vacant skull.

Because you are a full of shit, brainless liberal, you exist in an insular world governed by leftist cliches and vacuous, self-righteousness that insulates you from actually having to examine the world and develop opinions based on facts.

Jethro, do yourself a favor and stop pretending you have even the slightest capacity for critical analysis. You type a lot of words but they usually amount to very little thought. I suppose it is fitting you like Trump. You both mix your nativism and contempt for rule of law with a dash of incompetence and cup of arrogance. I look forward to your response where you assume everybody who challenges you is part of a liberal conspiracy. Maybe I should say I look forward to your tilt.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-06-05, 17:58

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

He sounds like Trump.

I'm not a liberal, at all. But Trump is a buffoon who has sterotyped many, many people.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-06-05, 18:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:Two of these guys are semi-famous

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest CkNY3OfWYAAoJBz

RIP Muhammed Ali. - The Greatest 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-06-05, 18:33

Is that KP and Rexrode?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-05, 18:39

NigelUno wrote:Is that KP and Rexrode?

KP is right. The other is an internet message board legend.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-06-05, 19:13

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

He sounds like Trump.

Show some respect for the dead and work out your anger issues with your shrink.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-05, 19:29

You guys really need to read what I posted about Malcolm X. The Muslim community did advocate separatism. Please understand that at the time Ali couldn't buy a house in some places in Louisville. Taken out of context that clip sounds horrible. The big picture was separate society. That was a Muslim thing. It was America and by and large White America that was dragging its feet. He was not apart of separatist Muslims at the end of his life. Neither was Malcolm X after his trip to Mecca.

That's a pretty unfair clip imo when not taken in all context. Ali and the separatists Muslims were making a point then. Ali, was not that man for over four decades.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-06-05, 19:40

DWags wrote:You guys really need to read what I posted about Malcolm X. The Muslim community did advocate separatism. Please understand that at the time Ali couldn't buy a house in some places in Louisville. Taken out of context that clip sounds horrible. The big picture was separate society. That was a Muslim thing. It was America and by and large White America that was dragging its feet. He was not apart of separatist Muslims at the end of his life. Neither was Malcolm X after his trip to Mecca.

That's a pretty unfair clip imo when not taken in all context. Ali and the separatists Muslims were making a point then. Ali, was not that man for over four decades.

I read your post, I agree with you. Even if he did feel that way at one point, who cares? He obviously moved on from that point of view, and the guy has done so much good. Lots of charity work for children. I just find it odd that Jethro shows up here and vents when most people are mourning the passing of a legend.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-06-05, 19:46

Floyd Robertson wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Is that KP and Rexrode?

KP is right. The other is an internet message board legend.

Just swimming in that blazer
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-05, 22:04

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:You guys really need to read what I posted about Malcolm X. The Muslim community did advocate separatism. Please understand that at the time Ali couldn't buy a house in some places in Louisville. Taken out of context that clip sounds horrible. The big picture was separate society. That was a Muslim thing. It was America and by and large White America that was dragging its feet. He was not apart of separatist Muslims at the end of his life. Neither was Malcolm X after his trip to Mecca.

I read your post, I agree with you. Even if he did feel that way at one point, who cares? He obviously moved on from that point of view, and the guy has done so much good. Lots of charity work for children. I just find it odd that Jethro shows up here and vents when most people are mourning the passing of a legend.

Jethro is unbalanced. He doesn't just tilt, he warps.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-06, 20:40

Couple of Ali Cosell videos there worth watching.

Muhammad Ali and Howard Cosell: a mismatched pair who were perfect for each other
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down