Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dunkirk - New film from GOAT Christopher Nolan

+13
MattyFresh
kingstonlake
Stoops21
Herbie Green
tGreenWay
I.B. Fine
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
TheReal_LWS
InTenSity
DWags
Death Roe
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dunkirk - New film from GOAT Christopher Nolan - Page 2 Empty Re: Dunkirk - New film from GOAT Christopher Nolan

Post by DWags 7/21/2017, 12:49 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Death Roe wrote:ALL HAIL NOLAN

Seriously, this might be the best movie he has made.

This movie takes place during the Dunkirk Evacuation in World War II. 400,000 British soldiers are trapped at the coastline of Dunkirk, France.

Three storylines are told, in a non-linear narrative.

1) The Mole - Commander Bolton (Kenneth Branagh) plots to get his men out of Dunkirk by using the civilian boat initiative.
2) A civilian (Mark Rylance) takes off without any Naval assistance to rescue men at Dunkirk. He is joined by his son and his son's friend.
3) Two British Air Force officers (Tom Hardy and Jack Lowden) fight off enemy fighters as best as they can along the seas that reach Dunkirk.

Lean, incredibly well-edited, with fantastic acting all around.

The highlights:
1) Tom Hardy - He's the man. A fucking HERO in all definitions you can think of. Most of his acting in the film is done with his eyes, and he conveys the situations he's in very well.
2) Mark Rylance - My jimmies were rustled when he won an Oscar over Tom Hardy for "Bridge of Spies," but man, he was great here. I seriously think he'll get an Oscar nod that comes out of nowhere.
3) Kenneth Branagh - He's good in everything. The man desperately wants his soldiers off of Dunkirk, not just because Churchill demands 30,000 for the upcoming battles, but because he seriously cares about them.
4) Hans Zimmer - This score definitely deserves an Oscar. It was intense and matched the movie as well as I can remember a score doing so.
5) Christopher Nolan - DA GAWD HAS RETURNED!

This seriously is the best movie, start-to-finish, he has ever made. It's the least Nolan-like film he's made, but it's by far his strongest.

The editing by Lee Smith should give him an Oscar easily.

not enough diversity for my tastes.

The line Goose refers to is one line from USA Today. He's a breitbart sheep that parrots what they say. I'll leave this here and move over to the political board. Sorry to disrupt Beaumont

Goose and the right wing want a culture war over a great movie. It's pathetic.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Dunkirk - New film from GOAT Christopher Nolan - Page 2 Empty Re: Dunkirk - New film from GOAT Christopher Nolan

Post by Banks2Mason 7/21/2017, 1:02 pm

Death Roe wrote:

Same goes with "Pootie Tang."

louis ck actually directed that
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/21/2017, 1:11 pm

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

The line Goose refers to is one line from USA Today.  He's a breitbart sheep that parrots what they say.  I'll leave this here and move over to the political board.  Sorry to disrupt Beaumont

Goose and the right wing want a culture war over a great movie.  It's pathetic.

Mirror.   Good lord, if this is the new standard I'll be pointing out political reference after political reference much less subtle than this.

Oh and as usual you're wrong RE:Breitbart. But accuracy isn't important when sliming.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/21/2017, 1:18 pm

What I was referring to - unlike the stupid Bullshit posted above:

Review: Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' examines WWII heroism up close

The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice.

I was subtlety mocking the USA today writer that would bemoan a WWII movie about the British army having a dearth of women and actors of color.....well DUH.....that's rank stupidity right or left. Sorry it flew directly over Wag's head.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 7/21/2017, 1:27 pm

Hey, the first movie thread that will be moved to the Bin. I made history.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 7/21/2017, 2:30 pm

Very good film. I disagree with the notion that this is Nolans best but maybe because war is not my favorite genre. Also the lack of females and black people? No shit Sherlock like goose said. 8/10.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 7/21/2017, 2:32 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Very good film. I disagree with the notion that this is Nolans best but maybe because war is not my favorite genre. Also the lack of females and black people? No shit Sherlock like goose said. 8/10.

Hi. Are you new here? Nice to meet you? Would you like to go to private chat?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 7/21/2017, 2:59 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Very good film. I disagree with the notion that this is Nolans best but maybe because war is not my favorite genre. Also the lack of females and black people? No shit Sherlock like goose said. 8/10.

Please stay on topic.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 7/21/2017, 3:08 pm

LooseGoose wrote:What I was referring to - unlike the stupid Bullshit posted above:

Review: Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' examines WWII heroism up close

The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice.

I was subtlety mocking the USA today writer that would bemoan a WWII movie about the British army having a dearth of women and actors of color.....well DUH.....that's rank stupidity right or left. Sorry it flew directly over Wag's head.

And like yesterday on that board you got the out rage from Delingpole on Brietbart. But from the article published, it wasn't taken in context when you posted it yesterday.

". Delingpole’s misfire here is launched on the basis of a single, ambiguous sentence in a straightforward, complimentary USA Today review, which notes that “some” might be upset by the lack of women and people of color in the cast. This casual statement of fact is amplified by Delingpole, and others, into a full-throated PC attack on the tommies on the beach. "

The Breitbart people took one line from a great review, used it out of context and their sichophants swallowed, copied, pasted like good boys and girls.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 7/21/2017, 3:09 pm

Guys listen to OTPT
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 7/21/2017, 3:52 pm

Death Roe wrote:Guys listen to OTPT

^^^ Dumb Kirk.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 7/21/2017, 4:24 pm

Last time I did that I woke up in a Shack outside of Denver still high with 13 new tattoos and one was of Richard Nixon on my penis.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 7/21/2017, 5:11 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

^^^ Dumb Kirk.

QFT
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/21/2017, 7:50 pm

DWags wrote: took one line from a great review, used it out of context and their sichophants swallowed, copied, pasted like good boys and girls.

Mirror.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 7/21/2017, 8:07 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Please stay on topic.

Is that a no on the chat thing?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 7/22/2017, 3:02 am

If Dunkirk is better than The Prestige then consider me Miles Davis.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 7/23/2017, 10:42 pm

Of course Miles, who admittedly isnt a fan of war movies, is not going to like a war movie. And this was as much of a war movie as you can get.

I'm the opposite with my biases. I like war movies. More than that I love history. My favorite history subject is WWII, and specifically Britain's resilience in 1940. With that said, I motherfucking loved it.

First, the movie itself. Maybe the best war movie ever made, at least in terms of action. It's hard to compare it to some of the classics, that maybe were better movies (acting, dialogue, etc.). Dunkirk little character background or character development. And that is brilliant. The battle/rescue is the main character. The experience is the emotional depth.

And the experience was intense as a viewer. The sound was overpowering. The whir of the plane engines, the cracks of the guns, the roar of the explosions, was all extra loud. The large format that you get with IMAX adds to the immersion experience.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 7/23/2017, 10:54 pm

Throwing a wrench into things - it's not a war movie, according to Nolan, it's a survival movie.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 7/23/2017, 10:55 pm

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

The line Goose refers to is one line from USA Today.  He's a breitbart sheep that parrots what they say.  I'll leave this here and move over to the political board.  Sorry to disrupt Beaumont

Goose and the right wing want a culture war over a great movie.  It's pathetic.

Leave tBin fights in tBin drinkie
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 7/23/2017, 11:05 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:...I like war movies. More than that I love history. My favorite history subject is WWII..  

Ditto.

I was as excited as everyone here when the trailer came out. But I have the feeling it is going to disappoint. Semi-encouraged you guys liked it.

Sidebar.... I propose a micro-ban to Drinkie for (repeatedly in this thread) bringing a tBin feud to the Mainboard.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2