Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of the Republican Party

4 posters

Go down

The Future of the Republican Party Empty The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-24, 22:56

The Republicans who want to beat Trump by as much as possible

And that leads us to the party itself. The need for an entirely new party grows in direct proportion to the strength of the argument that he is unfit. “The reality is that the vast majority of Republican leaders are putting party ahead of principle and putting power over the interests of their own country. And that’s the challenge that we have going forward,” said independent conservative candidate Evan McMullin on ABC’s “This Week.” “That’s the challenge that this country has. That’s the challenge that the Republican Party will have. And that’s the challenge that the conservative movement has, which is why Mindy and I are calling for a new conservative movement in this country.” Put differently, as Republicans show there is literally nothing Trump could do that would force them to disown him, they make the case again and again that the party stands only for its own survival, not for any ideals or policies. It makes it crystal clear that it is willing to insult and stereotype minorities if it means it gets the White House.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2016/10/24/republicans-for-beating-trump-by-as-much-as-possible/?utm_term=.51aa81e44cf4

Both parties are divided. The most visible divide is within the Republican party. The populist-nationalist wing of the Republican party - an ironic outgrowth of the tea party movement - is battling the social order and corporate friendly wing for control of the party. Meanwhile you have the moderate Democrats versus the progressives. I really do not know how this will shake out, but it is certainly fascinating

Party realignments are nothing new in American politics. Are we headed for another realignment? I do not see the emergence of a multi-party system as much as the system eventually stabilizing around two dominant parties. But what will those parties look like? As it stands right now, if Trump has actually created a persistent movement and things progress the way they have been for over a year, the Republican party might look very different in 10-20 years. I do not think the two wings of the party can co-exist under the same tent. The nationalist-populist wing is just not conservative enough to make for a happy marriage between the two.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Future of the Republican Party Empty Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-10-25, 07:54

...or could it be leadership of both parties is corrupt?
Party over country is nothing new, we're seeing individual gain/greed over party, over country-in both parties.
maybe...
The Future of the Republican Party Dt10
affraid The Future of the Republican Party 1550444538
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-27, 14:57

I.B. Fine wrote:...or could it be leadership of both parties is corrupt?
Party over country is nothing new, we're seeing individual gain/greed over party, over country-in both parties.
maybe...
The Future of the Republican Party Dt10
affraid The Future of the Republican Party 1550444538

I would argue it is more complex than corruption within the ranks of party leadership. The Democrats grew into a loose coalition of voters. They were broadly unified on key issues, but distanced on others. The Republicans, although more ideologically unified than Democrats, have seen their party factionalize within the past 10 years. I think this has much to do with ideology rather than leadership. Within both parties are people with very different visions for how to manage politics. That is not to say corruption is not an issue, but I think there is more to the story.

What the Hell Happened to My Republican Party? The party of principled conservatism, of promoting freedom at home and abroad, has become a party of conspiracy-mongering, authoritarianism, and white power.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/10/18/trump-presidential-election-gop-values-republican-party-conservative-principles/

As a confirmed #NeverTrump conservative from day one, I should be ecstatic at the way Donald Trump’s campaign has cratered since the Oct. 7 revelation of an audiotape in which he boasted of groping women. Numerous women have now come forward to testify that this was not, as the Republican nominee claimed in the second presidential debate, an empty boast. The Real Clear Politics average has Hillary Clinton seven points ahead nationally in a two-way race; a landslide is becoming increasingly likely.

And yet, although I’m relieved that Trump is unlikely to be our next president, I remain profoundly disturbed and depressed that so many of my fellow Republicans continue to back him despite the growing evidence of his degeneracy and lunacy. Their position in the campaign’s waning days — sitting on the Trump Train as it hurtles toward the precipice — bodes ill for the future of the Republican Party.

At this rate, I feel bad for true conservatives that have seen their ideas hijacked/sidelined - not sure which - by far less principled conservatives and people that are not really conservative at all.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-25, 23:30

Trump Is What Happens When a Political Party Abandons Ideas

And yet as surprising as this all has been, it’s also the natural outgrowth of 30 years of Republican pandering to the lowest common denominator in American politics. Trump is what happens when a political party abandons ideas, demonizes intellectuals, degrades politics and simply pursues power for the sake of power.

Ideally, I’d like to see an intellectual revival on the right such as we saw after the Goldwater defeat and the Watergate debacle. Freed from the stultifying strictures and kowtowing to know-nothing Trumpian populists—perhaps building on new outlets and institutions that celebrate intellectual rigor and reject shallow sound bites—a few conservative thinkers can plow a path toward sane, responsible conservative governance, just as people like Irving Kristol and Jack Kemp did during the Carter years. (Some conservative thinkers, such as the Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin, speculate that Mitt Romney may emerge as the leader of a sane, modern, technocratic wing of an intellectually revitalized GOP.) If a leader doesn’t emerge, moderate Republicans—many of whom did not and will not support Trump—could be lost to the Democratic Party for good.

If the Republican Party and the conservative movement abandon populism, mindless appeals to the electorate’s lowest common denominator, and the pursuit of power for the sake of power and instead pursue a fully formed policy agenda based on solid analysis and research, then I don’t think it will take very long for a Republican revival. If it takes a Trump debacle to make that happen, it will have been worth it.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/24/intellectual-conservatives-lost-republican-trump-215259
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-25, 23:34

Hilliary is what happens when a political party doesn't evolve.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-25, 23:48

I argued somewhere on here around September or so that the best thing that could happen to the Republican Party is that trump loses by double digits. I still think that's the case. I don't want to type more but I think y'all can imagine the argument I'm making.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-25, 23:52

DWags wrote:Hilliary is what happens when a political party doesn't evolve.

While that is true and disappointing, it not nearly as dangerous as what Republicans have embraced. They have surprisingly given into Trump's agenda, and at least in public, are not as divided as they once appeared.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-25, 23:54

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:Hilliary is what happens when a political party doesn't evolve.

While that is true and disappointing, it not nearly as dangerous as what Republicans have embraced. They have surprisingly given into Trump's agenda, and at least in public, are not as divided as they once appeared.

Yep

And Russia is benefitting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-26, 07:33

LMAO - Russia, Russia, Russia.

Here Wags....
The Future of the Republican Party Tin-baseball
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-14, 13:02

It won’t be like John Tyler and Andrew Johnson. It will probably be worse.

President Trump has been feuding, verbally and publicly, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Establishment types like Sean Spicer and Reince Priebus have vacated the White House. This has led to questions about whether a major and durable rift between Trump and the party is coming. Although presidents and their congressional parties frequently experience tension, even during periods of unified government, we have very few examples of presidents who really broke away.

The two comparisons that have surfaced are John Tyler and Andrew Johnson, both of whom governed as presidents without parties. Jonathan Bernstein has written about how these examples illustrate the potential pitfalls of independent presidential leadership and give a sense of what we might expect if Trump goes that route.

But the Tyler and Johnson comparisons are limited. If Trump breaks away from his party, his presidency won’t be like those. It’s likely to be something much worse. Several factors distinguish Trump from these earlier cases, and add up to a clear distinction: Tyler and Johnson were untethered from their parties because of divisions within those parties. They were chosen as running mates for their coalition-building potential, not because they ran against their parties in the first place. And both, unlike Trump, were professional politicians with distinct, if questionable, sensibilities on policy.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2017/8/11/16131640/trump-abandon-republican-party
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down