Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

36 years ago today I heard the news....

+11
Jake from State Farm
GRR Spartan
The_Dude
Rocinante
DWags
TheReal_LWS
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
SeeRockCity
Floyd Robertson
Watch Out Pylon!
15 posters

Go down

36 years ago today I heard the news.... Empty 36 years ago today I heard the news....

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 am

36 years ago today I heard the news.... CzJ28fKXUAE4jkj

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

36 years ago today I heard the news.... Empty Re: 36 years ago today I heard the news....

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 am

I was 4. Don't really remember Lennon getting shot. My big music figure to die early was Cobain. That kinda rocked my world.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

36 years ago today I heard the news.... Empty Re: 36 years ago today I heard the news....

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:01 am

I found out at 7am when I walked into an Econ 310 (maybe 305, who the hell can remember) final.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:05 am

Was sitting in front of the fire in my parents living room reading a book when it came over the radio. Remember it vividly.

Weird, because I was never a Beatles fan. Quite the opposite to be honest.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 am

I was 11... I remember my mom being pretty upset.

side note: I now own all of her vinyl records, including her Beatles collection.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 am

What? none of you were watching  MNF and heard it from Howard?

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 am

I was too young to know about this. However, if it meant no more Beatles albums then there was a silver lining.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

Well he was a commie and wrote the stupidest song in history but that doesn't wipe out that he was a Beatle.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:09 am

Was jogging begtween Holmes Hall and the IM, had my walkman on, had the radio portion of it on, classic rock (was in 92.7?) and they interrupted to announce it.  I was like WTF?   Later, on the jog back to Holmes, they already were playing a series of songs in tribute to him, including "happiness is a warm gun".  People called in and were pissed at the selection.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27 am

DWags wrote:Was jogging begtween Holmes Hall and the IM, had my walkman on, had the radio portion of it on, classic rock (was in 92.7?) and they interrupted to announce it.  I was like WTF?   Later, on the jog back to Holmes, they already were playing a series of songs in tribute to him, including "happiness is a warm gun".  People called in and were pissed at the selection.

Liberals be libbin'
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 am

A Day in the Life is easily a top 5 Beatles song for me. Here's another top 5 one..

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 am

You would like a song sung by Ringo.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am

I was watching the 4th quarter of the Monday Night football game when Howard Cosell announced it.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Sheena IsAPunkRocker@77MASH  1m1 minute ago  
#OnThisDay, 1980, #JohnLennon signign an autograph for #MarkDavidChapman, the man who would actually kill him 5 hous later...
36 years ago today I heard the news.... CzLRFhSXAAAR9JM
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Sheena IsAPunkRocker@77MASH  1m1 minute ago  
#OnThisDay, 1980, #JohnLennon signign an autograph for #MarkDavidChapman, the man who would actually kill him 5 hous later...

That's creepy. I never knew that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Sheena IsAPunkRocker@77MASH  1m1 minute ago  

That's creepy. I never knew that.
I know, today was the first I'd ever heard of the autograph earlier in the day.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Don't most killers of famous people stalk their victim for a while?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes

36 years ago today I heard the news.... 1362440668

36 years ago today I heard the news.... 1550444538
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Was jogging begtween Holmes Hall and the IM, had my walkman on, had the radio portion of it on, classic rock (was in 92.7?) and they interrupted to announce it.  I was like WTF?   Later, on the jog back to Holmes, they already were playing a series of songs in tribute to him, including "happiness is a warm gun".  People called in and were pissed at the selection.
Are you sure that the Walkman was even available in 1980?

Walkman debuted in summer 1979. I had to look it up to be sure, because I didn't get one until spring of '81.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Heard he died, didn't GAF.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:Heard he died, didn't GAF.

Every mans death diminishes me for I am a part of mankind. So never send a man to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

I personally thought yoko hired him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Are you sure that the Walkman was even available in 1980?

Had it for Christmas, winter of my senior year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:44 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Walkman debuted in summer 1979. I had to look it up to be sure, because I didn't get one until spring of '81.

For some reason I didn't think they were out until around 1982. I remember when I got my first Walkman and I thought that it was the most incredible device on the planet. But then I realized that Apple didn't make it.

FIFY
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 pm

OK I'm confused now myself. I know I got my Walkman my senior year in high school that was January 80. But I don't think it was fm. Just played cassette. Maybe I was wearing my bone fone then. That was ok too. You wore it snug around your neck over the collarbone and not only could hear the speakers but the technology was supposed to somehow be absorbed in your collarbone and the vibration was supposed to boost the hearing. Not joking. It was ok. I can't remember who made them. Obviously they never caught on
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:59 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

For some reason I didn't think they were out until around 1982. I remember when I got my first Walkman and I thought that it was the most incredible device on the planet. Holy shit that thing was great. My brother got the AIWA and it blew the Walkman away but it wasn't nearly as popular.
History of the walkman
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:I was too young to know about this. However, if it meant no more Beatles albums then there was a silver lining.
The beatles had already broken up by then silly.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:16 am

Cameron wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:I was too young to know about this. However, if it meant no more Beatles albums then there was a silver lining.

And this meant they could never reunite! 36 years ago today I heard the news.... 1f44d
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am

Yeah we get it, LWS. Move on.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:23 am

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And this meant they could never reunite!  36 years ago today I heard the news.... 1f44d

Did Jesus teach you to be so hateful?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:Heard he died, didn't GAF.

Yet here you are posting about it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:39 am

For a guy that didn't like their music you sure are posting about it a lot. So tell us what's your favorite Beatles song?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:41 am

steveschneider wrote:

For a guy that didn't like their music you sure are posting about it a lot. So tell us what's your favorite Beatles song?

Aerosmith's version of Come Together. The Beatles version blows.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 am

LooseGoose wrote:Well he was a commie and wrote the stupidest song in history but that doesn't wipe out that he was a Beatle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/weekinreview/17decurtis.html

You can't label him in broad strokes. He was a very complex and nuanced man.

Most people don't know that him and yoko donated $1000 to the NYPD for bullet proof vests. He always identified with the working class folks that were cops. I have a friend that is related to a lot of high ranking NYPD officers. He claims they'll never forget the gesture and what it meant coming from them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

So you just need those killer hooks turned up to 11 through a Marshall.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Bad mouthing the Beatles hurts Steve's lady parts.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My penis is working just fine thanks for asking.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:56 pm

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

The one in your mouth doesn't count.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The one in your mouth doesn't count.

Says the guy who has a collection of homoerotic men's pictures on his hard drive.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down