Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campus Echo Chambers

+10
Robert J Sakimano
Blanch32
NigelUno
xsanguine
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
steveschneider
The_Dude
DWags
Turtleneck
14 posters

Go down

Campus Echo Chambers Empty Campus Echo Chambers

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-13, 21:29

This should go well...

Kristoff does some self-reflection. He is right, but we should expect everybody, not just liberals, to encounter ideas that otherwise make them uncomfortable.

After Donald Trump’s election, some universities echoed with primal howls. Faculty members canceled classes for weeping, terrified students who asked: How could this possibly be happening?

I share apprehensions about President-elect Trump, but I also fear the reaction was evidence of how insular universities have become. When students inhabit liberal bubbles, they’re not learning much about their own country. To be fully educated, students should encounter not only Plato, but also Republicans.

We liberals are adept at pointing out the hypocrisies of Trump, but we should also address our own hypocrisy in terrain we govern, such as most universities: Too often, we embrace diversity of all kinds except for ideological. Repeated studies have found that about 10 percent of professors in the social sciences or the humanities are Republicans.

We champion tolerance, except for conservatives and evangelical Christians. We want to be inclusive of people who don’t look like us — so long as they think like us.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Campus Echo Chambers Empty Re: Campus Echo Chambers

Post by DWags 2016-12-13, 21:39

Spot on. TN, I just see such a close minded divide happening that in both sides it becomes (became?) institutionalize. Even on this board you have people who are so entrenched in their dogma that if you try to make a point they will bring it back 99 degrees or 120 degrees to something else completely and just are incapable of engaging you in a debate of anything else. It's frustrating.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-13, 21:49

DWags wrote:Spot on. TN, I just see such a close minded divide happening that in both sides it becomes (became?) institutionalize. Even on this board you have people who are so entrenched in their dogma that if you try to make a point they will bring it back 99 degrees or 120 degrees to something else completely and just are incapable of engaging you in a debate of anything else. It's frustrating.

You cannot be a critical thinker if you close off alternative ideas, and our republic requires critical thinkers. Our very good friend and former poster Thomas Jefferson wrote, “I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society, but the people themselves, and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is, not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.” Enlightened and engaged is what we need to be. We cannot be just one. We have to be both.

The media drives the divide for sure. So do party politics in our two party system. They just play tit-for-tat and try to win elections. Dare I say we have become too democratic as well, which naturally deepens the divide. Rarely do we want to discuss politics. We just want to debate and win! I am just as guilty. Until we sit down and talk to each other over coffee and pie (OTPT can drink tea) not much will change.

Campus Echo Chambers PP-2014-06-12-polarization-0-01
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-12-13, 22:03

Author has a point. Liberals are obsessed with diversity of everything except thought.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-13, 22:12

The_Dude wrote:Author has a point. Liberals are obsessed with diversity of everything except thought.

This is an ironic post.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-12-13, 22:34

I think the coasts are just a light year ahead of the middle of the country on social issues. Our eyes glaze over when we hear a lot of the debates going on in the middle. It's frustrating because we want other things to be at the forefront of the discussion and it's still abortion, race, gay marriage etc. A lot of that was settled for us in the 70's.

We get out of our bubble but we still see the electoral college gives more power to Wyoming and other parts of rural america, and most of our taxes goes towards fixing their roads/infrastructure. Yes, us liberals cluster together on the coasts but we have legitimate frustration.

I'd counter to Kristoff, that the country bumpkin should get out of the woods and come to New York city for a week. Spend time in a diverse city that thrives. Enjoy the food, music, art and culture and it might open some doors.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-12-13, 22:37

I don't believe Universities are the liberal bastions that the right attempts to paint them as. Young people tend to be liberal. Young people populate campuses.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-13, 22:38

Turtleneck wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Author has a point. Liberals are obsessed with diversity of everything except thought.

This is an ironic post.

I'd refer back to my first point. You won't be able to engage in intellectual debate. I admire your effort though, and your first point is very poignant.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-12-13, 22:57

Turtleneck wrote:

This is an ironic post.

That's his thing now. He's been doing it for weeks.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-12-13, 23:02

Rocinante wrote:I don't believe Universities are the liberal bastions that the right attempts to paint them as. Young people tend to be liberal. Young people populate campuses.

I think "liberals" tend to get into education moreso than conservatives. I believe this results in more professors that espouse liberalism and with that comes information and discussion pushed through that lens.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-14, 07:08

I think kids in college are more concerned with drinking beer than talking politics.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-12-14, 07:53

steveschneider wrote:I think the coasts are just a light year ahead of the middle of the country on social issues. Our eyes glaze over when we hear a lot of the debates going on in the middle. It's frustrating because we want other things to be at the forefront of the discussion and it's still abortion, race, gay marriage etc. A lot of that was settled for us in the 70's.

We get out of our bubble but we still see the electoral college gives more power to Wyoming and other parts of rural america, and most of our taxes goes towards fixing their roads/infrastructure. Yes, us liberals cluster together on the coasts but we have legitimate frustration.

I'd counter to Kristoff, that the country bumpkin should get out of the woods and come to New York city for a week. Spend time in a diverse city that thrives. Enjoy the food, music, art and culture and it might open some doors.

light years??? I'm sorry but i have no desire to become EU lite
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-12-14, 07:54

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This is an ironic post.

I'd refer back to my first point. You won't be able to engage in intellectual debate. I admire your effort though, and your first point is very poignant.

serious question, why do peeps think I'm a dem again?

Sincerely,

dwags
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-14, 07:54

so.. can I still laugh at jesus freaks??

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-14, 07:55

steveschneider wrote:I think the coasts are just a light year ahead of the middle of the country on social issues. Our eyes glaze over when we hear a lot of the debates going on in the middle. It's frustrating because we want other things to be at the forefront of the discussion and it's still abortion, race, gay marriage etc. A lot of that was settled for us in the 70's.

not a bad idea... but they're boycotting Broadway shows now.

Campus Echo Chambers 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-14, 08:05

Rocinante wrote:I don't believe Universities are the liberal bastions that the right attempts to paint them as. Young people tend to be liberal. Young people populate campuses.
this is true.

It's another narrative driven by Republicans and their accomplices in the mainstream media to absolve them of any responsibility.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-12-14, 08:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

not a bad idea... but they're boycotting Broadway shows now.

Yeah, and to Kristoff's point a lot of people just despise those people when they do that and look down at them in condescension.

I agree people need to get out of their bubbles, but that argument as of late has been aimed at college folk and people that live in liberal bubbles. We are not the only ones that need to get out of our bubbles.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-14, 08:35

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:not a bad idea... but they're boycotting Broadway shows now.

Yeah, and to Kristoff's point a lot of people just despise those people when they do that and look down at them in condescension.

I agree people need to get out of their bubbles, but that argument as of late has been aimed at college folk and people that live in liberal bubbles. We are not the only ones that need to get out of our bubbles.
yeah... and it's also kind of fun to watch the Republican "I'm sick of our politically correct society" be the first to whine when someone looks at them wrong and demand a safe space for their feelings.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-14, 08:44

PHere

As it happens, Mr. Gibson, I have plenty of sympathy for typical Trump voters. (I exclude the alt-right and other menaces to the public good, such as Rudy Giuliani.) I have written about cultural dislocation and I understand the corrosive effect of diminished expectations. Clinton talked about the glass ceiling, but too many American workers — or former workers — had to contend with a cement one: jobs that were gone and not coming back. We in the bubble understand. Truly, we do.

But I will not concede that a greater wisdom exists in what is known as “flyover country.” It has voted for a charlatan, a blinged ignoramus who has promised the past as the future. Trump, who lives in a gilded bubble of his own, cannot reverse automation, replace robots with people or blunt American businesses’ compulsive search for the cheapest workforce.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-12-14, 09:58

I would be happy to have an intellectual discussion with a Trump supporter, but I have yet to come across one that isn't incredibly misinformed.

Occasionally I will meet a conservative that while not enamored with the Republican party, still votes republican based on fiscally conservative views. That I can at least understand, but ironically, Trump is the least fiscally conservative Republican to run for President in my lifetime.

Generally these conservatives will also have fairly rational views on foreign policy, social issues etc but they're the exception and not the norm in my experience.

When it comes to social issues, I won't make any concessions to the stated republican platform though.The party's official social views are purely based on religion and fear, and have no place in my vision for the USA.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-12-14, 11:00

People can choose to be mis-informed very easily as compared to 30-40 years ago.

Newspapers are dying off. When the networks merged their news departments into their entertainment divisions and left the entertainment guys in charge of a division expected to produce revenue they started shyuing away from hard news that might offend advertisers.

Murdoch used the same formula he's used in other countries to target specific political demographic groups with Fox and that changed the cable / satellite news business. Limbaugh followed by Hannity and others have done the same with talk radio. Even Alex Jones and Infowars has a loyal following.

The thing the "conservatives" do best is cry about being mistreated and disrepected much better than any other group including minorities.

The faux new about Trump winning 3054 counties and being repeated on multiple platforms including this one shows how good "conservatives" have become at playing to constituencies.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-14, 11:10

AnomanderRake wrote:I would be happy to have an intellectual discussion with a Trump supporter, but I have yet to come across one that isn't incredibly misinformed.

Occasionally I will meet a conservative that while not enamored with the Republican party, still votes republican based on fiscally conservative views. That I can at least understand, but ironically, Trump is the least fiscally conservative Republican to run for President in my lifetime.

Generally these conservatives will also have fairly rational views on foreign policy, social issues etc but they're the exception and not the norm in my experience.

When it comes to social issues, I won't make any concessions to the stated republican platform though.The party's official social views are purely based on religion and fear, and have no place in my vision for the USA.
this is 100% true.

Trump supporters have got to be the most egregiously misinformed lot of people I've seen in quite some time. I've been saying here for months that fear, paranoia and hate are all emotions and attributes that are powerful and, if you allow them to, will make you incredibly easy to manipulate. Which is exactly what Trump and the mainstream media did.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-20, 12:33

Does anybody hear an echo in here?

Campus Echo Chambers PP-2014-06-12-polarization-3-02

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/section-3-political-polarization-and-personal-life/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-03, 15:18

Bumping for the guy who thinks he is the only one pointing out illiberalism from liberals.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-23, 22:07

Freedom of expression on campus: An overview of some recent surveys
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/10/23/freedom-of-expression-on-campus-an-overview-of-some-recent-surveys/?utm_term=.33cbe9697e21
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-27, 21:01

By Lucía Martínez Valdivia October 27 at 8:20 PM
Lucía Martínez Valdivia is an assistant professor of English and humanities at Reed College.

At Reed College in Oregon, where I work, a group of students began protesting the required first-year humanities course a year ago. Three times a week, students sat in the lecture space holding signs — many too obscene to be printed here — condemning the course and its faculty as white supremacists, as anti-black, as not open to dialogue and criticism, on the grounds that we continue to teach, among many other things, Aristotle and Plato.

In the interest of supporting dissent and the free exchange of ideas, the faculty and administration allowed this. Those who felt able to do so lectured surrounded by those signs for the better part of a year. I lectured, but dealt with physical anxiety — lack of sleep, nausea, loss of appetite, inability to focus — in the weeks leading up to my lecture. Instead of walking around or standing at the lectern, as I typically do, I sat as I tried to teach students how to read the poetry of Sappho. Inadvertently, I spoke more quietly, more timidly.

Some colleagues, including people of color, immigrants and those without tenure, found it impossible to work under these conditions. The signs intimidated faculty into silence, just as intended, and these silenced professors’ lectures were quietly replaced by talks from people willing and able to carry on teaching in the face of these demonstrations.

No one should have to pass someone else’s ideological purity test to be allowed to speak. University life — along with civic life — dies without the free exchange of ideas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/professors-like-me-cant-stay-silent-about-this-extremist-moment-on-campuses/2017/10/27/fd7aded2-b9b0-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.be36f45d85df
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-07, 21:49

Well...a more nuanced look, and some rather strong points along the way...

Fortunately, there is a rival view of democracy in the United States — one that does not look to absolutist individual rights, but rather bases itself on an ancient tradition of community self-rule known as civic republicanism. The most important articulator of this point of view in the United States is Alexis de Tocqueville. In the 20th century, civic republicanism has been defended in deeply innovative ways by philosophers like Charles Taylor as well.

Civic republicans believe that unlimited individual freedom is not a good in and of itself. Rather, individual freedom is good only insofar as it helps promote the continued practices of democratic self-rule. Civic republicans view certain rights as mandatory for self-rule (e.g. habeas corpus) but they also see individual freedom as something that is only accomplished together by a community. Within civic republicanism, therefore, there is a basis for publicly deliberating over when speech should be protected and when some other public good requires balancing.

To be clear, civic republicanism does not get rid of hard cases. But it at least makes it possible to talk about when forms of speech are imperiling the very way of life that forms the basis for democracy. A society so awash in racism, xenophobic propaganda and hateful speech that it could no longer remain together within a civic space would not remain a democracy for long. Civic republicanism holds that democracy must always wrestle with the difficult question: What does maintaining our free institutions require today? Viewed in this light, the universities are not so much rejecting democracy as wrestling with one of its central dilemmas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/12/08/free-speech-absolutists-arent-protecting-democracy-they-may-even-be-endangering-it/?utm_term=.9b6e3a5b77e5
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-08, 16:53

Turtleneck wrote:Well...a more nuanced look, and some rather strong points along the way...

Fortunately, there is a rival view of democracy in the United States — one that does not look to absolutist individual rights, but rather bases itself on an ancient tradition of community self-rule known as civic republicanism. The most important articulator of this point of view in the United States is Alexis de Tocqueville. In the 20th century, civic republicanism has been defended in deeply innovative ways by philosophers like Charles Taylor as well.

Civic republicans believe that unlimited individual freedom is not a good in and of itself. Rather, individual freedom is good only insofar as it helps promote the continued practices of democratic self-rule. Civic republicans view certain rights as mandatory for self-rule (e.g. habeas corpus) but they also see individual freedom as something that is only accomplished together by a community. Within civic republicanism, therefore, there is a basis for publicly deliberating over when speech should be protected and when some other public good requires balancing.

To be clear, civic republicanism does not get rid of hard cases. But it at least makes it possible to talk about when forms of speech are imperiling the very way of life that forms the basis for democracy. A society so awash in racism, xenophobic propaganda and hateful speech that it could no longer remain together within a civic space would not remain a democracy for long. Civic republicanism holds that democracy must always wrestle with the difficult question: What does maintaining our free institutions require today? Viewed in this light, the universities are not so much rejecting democracy as wrestling with one of its central dilemmas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/12/08/free-speech-absolutists-arent-protecting-democracy-they-may-even-be-endangering-it/?utm_term=.9b6e3a5b77e5

If the assumption is that I only care about free speech insofar as it allows democracy to flourish, the article is built on a flawed assumption. I have not read it, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps I'll get around to it later.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-12-08, 21:57

We should put those people in a cage. You can't just make any sound with your mouth. That's violence.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-09, 12:36

Cameron wrote:
Perhaps I'll get around to it later.

Trust me when I say we are all going to be on pins and needles until you do.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-12-09, 12:47

Turtleneck being a smartass dick... as usual.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-09, 12:53

tGreenWay wrote:Turtleneck being a smartass dick... as usual.

Get over yourself.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-09, 13:51

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Perhaps I'll get around to it later.

Trust me when I say we are all going to be on pins and needles until you do.

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down