Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant

+2
steveschneider
Turtleneck
6 posters

Go down

Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant Empty Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-04, 11:43

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/01/04/the-real-reason-ford-abandoned-its-plant-in-mexico-has-little-to-do-with-trump/?utm_term=.b01667fd3e5b

The next wave of workers in Flat Rock will build mostly self-driving and electric cars, including a hybrid Mustang. Unlike manufacturing roles of decades past, though, the jobs will probably require computer literacy and more than a high school degree.

“The era of the electric vehicle is dawning,” Fields told his employees this week, “and we at Ford plan to be a leader in this exciting future.”

The new employment opportunities — the tickets to the middle class — will not look like the old ones. Economists say auto manufacturing at Ford and beyond will become increasingly automated, resulting in fewer jobs for more highly skilled workers.

Ford’s move became political after Fields expressed confidence in the business climate under President-elect Donald Trump, and Trump on Twitter took credit for the company’s decision. Both men invoked the importance of protecting American jobs.

Analysts, though, say Ford’s decision stemmed more from its long-term goals than the new administration or devotion to U.S. workers. The company aims to invest $4.5 billion in electric vehicles by 2020. (The company would not comment on the specifics of the 700 new positions.)

"We expect a big change in the next decade on not only the growing affordability,” Fields said, “but also the consumer acceptance of electrified vehicles.”

It has been mentioned on this board before: technological growth, particularly the process of automation, has not been properly addressed in our conversations about protecting manufacturing jobs. I think both Trump and Sanders underestimated the role of technology in the elimination of manufacturing jobs. I am not really sure how you combat this other than train workers for new jobs rather than promise them old jobs.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant Empty Re: Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant

Post by steveschneider 2017-01-04, 12:05

Sounds like there isn't much there for the blue collar worker, but on the bright side that could attract more tech related jobs to the state. 700 is a small number in the grand scheme of things, but if it brings in or encourages a scientist/engineers to stay in Michigan I think that's a good thing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant Empty Re: Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-04, 13:10

Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant 502811600

Is this a taste of what is to come from the butthurt msm?

Rs will control even more in 2 years. and Ds are already at historic lows. Ford's reinvestment in the Flat Rock assembly plant 1966794946
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-04, 13:52

steveschneider wrote:Sounds like there isn't much there for the blue collar worker, but on the bright side that could attract more tech related jobs to the state. 700 is a small number in the grand scheme of things, but if it brings in or encourages a scientist/engineers to stay in Michigan I think that's a good thing.

Well Steve, the nature (and geography) of labor in the U.S. has been changing for quite some time. I am not sure, at least in the long run, how beneficial it is to invest in the past as opposed to the future. As the article says, “Each iteration of a facility becomes less like old school manufacturing and more high-tech,” and “That will ultimately mean fewer jobs. The people will have to keep learning throughout their careers. It won’t be like the old days, when you do the same thing for 40 years.” So the skill level of the American worker is going to have to match the technology, and as automation increases more workers will likely be displaced. The end of the article cites this study, which includes in its summary

Manufacturing has continued to grow, and the sector itself remains a large, important, and growing sector of the U.S. economy. Employment in manufacturing has stagnated for some time, primarily due to growth in productivity of manufacturing production processes. Three factors have contributed to changes in manufacturing employment in recent years: Productivity, trade, and domestic demand. Overwhelmingly, the largest impact is productivity. Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-01-04, 14:15

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Sounds like there isn't much there for the blue collar worker, but on the bright side that could attract more tech related jobs to the state. 700 is a small number in the grand scheme of things, but if it brings in or encourages a scientist/engineers to stay in Michigan I think that's a good thing.

Well Steve, the nature (and geography) of labor in the U.S. has been changing for quite some time. I am not sure, at least in the long run, how beneficial it is to invest in the past as opposed to the future. As the article says, “Each iteration of a facility becomes less like old school manufacturing and more high-tech,” and “That will ultimately mean fewer jobs. The people will have to keep learning throughout their careers. It won’t be like the old days, when you do the same thing for 40 years.” So the skill level of the American worker is going to have to match the technology, and as automation increases more workers will likely be displaced. The end of the article cites this study, which includes in its summary

Manufacturing has continued to grow, and the sector itself remains a large, important, and growing sector of the U.S. economy. Employment in manufacturing has stagnated for some time, primarily due to growth in productivity of manufacturing production processes. Three factors have contributed to changes in manufacturing employment in recent years: Productivity, trade, and domestic demand. Overwhelmingly, the largest impact is productivity. Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.

I agree, and I'm encouraged that Ford is looking ahead to the future.

My point is perhaps this will help Michigan with it's brain drain problem, and maybe add a little vibrance to the state. Overall this is a good thing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-01-04, 14:17

Turtleneck wrote:

Turtleneck, I'm not sure what field you work in but I assume you're familiar with Lean Manufacturing/Six-Sigma? I've always found it rather interesting how good process design and execution can literally put people out of work.

At the very least, new facilities/expansions are built with the process design improvements in mind. Each subsequent facility or expansion will employ less people over time due to process improvement/technology and their synergistic effects on a business' ability to meet customer demand with less labor.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-04, 14:27

I know a few people at Ford who are very happy with the decision.

The Mexico of 2017 isn't Mexico 1987 where one political party ran things and kidnapping wasn't part of gang fund raising. One of the dirty secrets no one is talking about is how difficult its getting to recruit management, especially upper management to live in Mexico for a 3-5 year tour.

Flat Rock isn't the French Riviera but you can work there and not live in a gated community with armed guards.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-01-04, 15:15

The fact is that there are 3600 employees at the Flat Rock plant. Even if the new 700 additional are all white collar (which they won't be), that is a lot of jobs to save. The Obama administration would count this as 4300 jobs created ("saved jobs equal created jobs").

$1.6 million to build new in Mexico vs $700 million to build new infrastructure in Flat Rock. Ford is winning on this too. WIN-WIN
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-01-04, 15:50

TheReal_LWS wrote:The fact is that there are 3600 employees at the Flat Rock plant. Even if the new 700 additional are all white collar (which they won't be), that is a lot of jobs to save. The Obama administration would count this as 4300 jobs created ("saved jobs equal created jobs").

$1.6 million to build new in Mexico vs $700 million to build new infrastructure in Flat Rock. Ford is winning on this too. WIN-WIN

Yeah agreed, no way will the 700 jobs be white collar. Maybe a small portion will be manufacturing/industrial engineers and other manufacturing support staff, but likely most of them will be manual labor and machine/equipment operator type roles.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down