Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract

+2
AnomanderRake
The_Dude
6 posters

Go down

95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract Empty 95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract

Post by The_Dude Thu 5 Jan - 12:47

https://www.investing.com/news/economy-news/nearly-95-of-all-job-growth-during-obama-era-part-time,-contract-work-449057

Last edited by The_Dude on Thu 5 Jan - 23:29; edited 1 time in total
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract Empty Re: 95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract

Post by AnomanderRake Thu 5 Jan - 13:29

Interesting study dude thanks for sharing.

It's of note that the study establishes its baseline using 1995-2005 data, and then compares it to 2005-2015 data.

Since it includes data from 3 years prior to Obama's first term, I can't draw any direct conclusions from it regarding the impact of the Obama administration's policies on quality of employment.

The excerpt below from the study more or less states the same thing. It would be really interesting to do this type of analysis on just Obama's 8 years in office and do a deeper dive into the variables at play.

For example, did the ACA allow people that were working full time for benefits, to switch to part-time and get their health insurance by other means?

Or how did the recession impact the supply & demand relationship between employers and employees?

Has technology paved the way for increases in contract and freelance work, with the diminished importance of physical location to complete work?

Just some thoughts. I hope we see a reversal in this trend with a return to more full time employment as the effects of the recession continue to fade.

Thus, these figures imply that employment in traditional jobs (standard employment arrangements) slightly declined by 0.4 million (0.3 percent) from 126.2 million in February 2005 to 125.8 million in November 2015.

Unfortunately, we cannot determine the extent to which the
replacement of traditional jobs with alternative work arrangements occurred before, during or after the Great Recession.

But it appears that as of late 2015, the labor market had not yet fully recovered from the huge loss of traditional jobs from the Great Recession.

Edit: Here's a link to the actual study referenced since the article didn't include it. Looks like the study is from March, 2016 so I'm not sure why the article is stating it's new?

https://krueger.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/akrueger/files/katz_krueger_cws_-_march_29_20165.pdf
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract Empty Re: 95% of new jobs created during Obamas tenure were part time or contract

Post by Turtleneck Thu 5 Jan - 14:29

Many possible factors could have contributed to the large increase in the incidence of alternative work arrangements for American workers from 2005 to 2015 that we have documented in this paper. Although a fuller evaluation will have to await further research, here we provide an initial evaluation of some leading explanations.

The first explanation is that alternative work is more common among older workers and more highly educated workers, and the workforce has become older and more educated over time. A shift-share analysis, however, indicates that shifts in the age and education distribution of the workforce account for only about 10 percent of the increase in the percentage of workers employed in alternative work arrangements from 2005 to 2015.

Other supply-side factors, such as a possible increase in demand for flexible work hours (perhaps supported by the increased availability of health insurance as a result of the Affordable Care Act) may also have contributed, although it is unlikely that supply-side factors account for the lion’s share of the rise in alternative work arrangements since the rise in employees who are hired out to other firms through contract firms or temporary help agencies accounts for more than half of the overall rise in the share of employment in alternative work arrangements in the last decade.

Second, technological changes that lead to enhanced monitoring, standardize job tasks and make information on worker reputation more widely available may be leading to greater disintermediation of job tasks. Coase’s (1937) classic explanation for the boundary of firms rested on the minimization of transaction costs within firm-employee relationships. Technological changes may be reducing the transaction costs associated with contracting out job tasks, however, and thus supporting the disintermediation of work.

Third, Abraham and Taylor (1996) argue that contracting out is often sought because firms seek to restrict the pool of workers with whom rents are shared, as well as to reduce the volatility of core employment. A rise in inter-firm variability in profitability is thus consistent with a greater desire for contracting out to reduce rent sharing (although increased contracting out could also have contributed to the rise in inter-firm variability in profits). Relatedly, Weil (2014) argues that competitive pressures are causing a “fissuring” of the workplace, with either workers being misclassified as contract employees or work being redefined to make greater use of
contract workers and independent contractors.

Finally, it is plausible that the dislocation caused by the Great Recession in 2007-2009 may have caused many workers to seek alternative work arrangements when traditional employment was not available. Although we cannot assess how much of the rise in alternative work arrangements occurred in the aftermath of the Great Recession, if this is the case then one might expect a return to a lower percentage of workers employed in alternative work arrangements over time, as the effects of the recession continue to fade.

After reading the conclusion, which I copied above, it does not attribute the findings cited in the original post to specific policy choices made by the Bush or Obama administrations. Instead, the study seems to be identifying structural changes to labor in the U.S. For example, they mention an aging and more educated workforce predisposed to what they call "alternative work arrangements." They even discuss the role of technology in incentivizing firms to contract out. Because the data used in the study covers two administrations, I think it supports the idea that this has more to do with trends in the structure of labor practice than policy choices by any one president.

Thank you for linking the study, AnomanderRake. It is always best to go right to the source when possible. Sometimes second hand reports leave out critical details. Very interesting read indeed.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Thu 5 Jan - 16:09

^ No problem. Any time studies are referenced in the news I always like to read the source material to see if the click-bait headlines are true or distortions of the research. More often than not, they tend to be distortions or out of context quotes that support a pre-existing narrative the article author is trying to push.

AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 5 Jan - 17:57

Jesus, idiot starts thread and does no analysis of study. Does Rollie laffy guy. Two obviously educated guys make it interesting.

Thanks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 5 Jan - 21:55

DWags wrote:Jesus, idiot starts thread and does no analysis of study. Does Rollie laffy guy. Two obviously educated guys make it interesting.

Thanks.

I think it is important that we start discussing the changing nature of labor in this country. I am not sure the best policies are those policies that capitalize on the past and ignore the future. The economy is changing and so is the type of labor it values. Adaptation is key. .
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 5 Jan - 22:25

DWags wrote:Jesus, idiot starts thread and does no analysis of study. Does Rollie laffy guy. Two obviously educated guys make it interesting.

Thanks.

Too funny.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Thu 5 Jan - 23:13

Thanks.

I'd say it is one of the better contributions I've seen from The_Dude since I joined the board. Maybe didn't achieve his desired intent but it at least led me and Turtleneck to read some quality research on the recent changes in the labor economy.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu 5 Jan - 23:32

I will say it's true older people still have a stubborn mindset in what constitutes a 'traditionally good job' and with the changing world it's not what a lot of people strive for anymore.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri 6 Jan - 9:10

The_Dude wrote:I will say it's true older people still have a stubborn mindset in what constitutes a 'traditionally good job' and with the changing world it's not what a lot of people strive for anymore.

We need every new job for the illegals that steam across the border. Until Trump builds the wall.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Fri 6 Jan - 9:31

Immigrants really don't have that much of a negative impact on our economy in the short term, and have a net positive impact on the economy in the long term. We shouldn't be wasting our time/money on a wall or anti-immigration reforms when we have much bigger problems to deal with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/us/immigrants-arent-taking-americans-jobs-new-study-finds.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2015/08/28/how-do-illegal-immigrants-affect-american-workers-the-answer-might-surprise-you/#2f8d3b646b10
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 6 Jan - 9:42

AnomanderRake wrote:

Thanks.

I'd say it is one of the better contributions I've seen from The_Dude since I joined the board. Maybe didn't achieve his desired intent but it at least led me and Turtleneck to read some quality research on the recent changes in the labor economy.

And now he's edited the laffy rollie guy out. It's a legitimate story that is interesting because of your and TN analysis. I also agree that we've been living in a changing economy and those who believe that manufacturing jobs will somehow reappear in our country are being fooled by those who want to be elected.

That said, our high schools are maligned because we aren't producing 100% graduates who are reading for a technological based economy. We make 100% of our kids take the ACT/SAT and when 40% go in fill in all th ebubbles and fall asleep because they have no desire to pass the test, we now add their score up with all the 60% of the kids scores up and we dummy down our results and then those who want to make profit off of public education say "Look at the failing schools scores dropping". In the 80's and 90's only college bound kids took those tests. My point? We do have a changing economy and jobs are being done out of remote homes and in very different ways than they were being done 10-15 years ago. However, the kids we shepherd into public schools all don't want to be that guy. Many still want to be mechanics, carpenters, muscians, plumbers, laborers. We will always have a need for them and if we brought back shop classes into the high schools we'd have a better quality of workers doing those jobs. If we didn't force them to take the ACT and SAT's, our average scores would not be played with by politicians who have an agenda for public schools. We still produce the best engineers doctors and lawyers in the world in my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 6 Jan - 10:09

TheReal_LWS wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I will say it's true older people still have a stubborn mindset in what constitutes a 'traditionally good job' and with the changing world it's not what a lot of people strive for anymore.

We need every new job for the illegals that steam across the border. Until Trump builds the wall.

California won't allow the wall to be built in California so it's just a waste of time and money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Fri 6 Jan - 13:05

DWags wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

And now he's edited the laffy rollie guy out. It's a legitimate story that is interesting because of your and TN analysis. I also agree that we've been living in a changing economy and those who believe that manufacturing jobs will somehow reappear in our country are being fooled by those who want to be elected.

After decades upon decades of Democratic lies, you are now drawing your line in the sand about Trump promising to bring back manufacturing? As if politicians promising something unattainable is new?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down