Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017

+27
aualum06
Stoops21
Travis of the Cosmos
duffy munn
Vlad
Tim Wakefield
InTenSity
kingstonlake
1adam12
Death Roe
GRR Spartan
Steve81
green night
FupaTuba
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
MattyFresh
Other Teams Pursuing That
Three_Putt_Par
DWags
tanfan!
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
Clarett's Folly
Herbie Green
31 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017

Post by DWags 2017-02-03, 17:43

MattyFresh wrote:
Vlad wrote:

I think he was a 4-star. MD would never be able to close the deal.

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 502811600

Holy shit I still laugh at that. Haven't seen it in a while.

Thx. If I remember some people on TOB crowned him king after a ND game. Weren't they lamenting we had a horrible two star and they had the next coming? None of us new how good Cook would be but nobody should have been sucking Gardners dick either.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-03, 18:09

DWags wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Thx. If I remember some people on TOB crowned him king after a ND game. Weren't they lamenting we had a horrible two star and they had the next coming? None of us new how good Cook would be but nobody should have been sucking Gardners dick either.

Nobody else needed to suck Gardner's dick because Vlad had that well-covered.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2017-02-03, 19:00

To be fair, Gardner's career totals would probably still put him in the top 10 MSU QBs of all time, just below Todd Shultz and just above Ryan VanDyke. No?
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-03, 19:39

Vlad wrote:To be fair, Gardner's career totals would probably still put him in the top 10 MSU QBs of all time, just below Todd Shultz and just above Ryan VanDyke. No?

And how sad is that? A mediocre Gardner compares to mediocre qbs from mediocre Spartan teams.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-02-03, 20:20

DWags wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Narduzzi and his recruiting ability is not walking through the door anytime soon
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-03, 20:34

tanfan! wrote:
DWags wrote:

Narduzzi and his recruiting ability is not walking through the door anytime soon

cheers cheers cheers

The RCMB dumb asses that fall for you and Vlad bitching about anything and everything aren't walking through this one either. Be the guy who is funny, not tanvlad. It works better here.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-04, 00:14

Interesting article from Warnemuede over at 247......

Thread over there.

Michigan State's 2017 recruiting class wasn't completed until head coach Mark Dantonio was nearing the end of his National Signing Day press conference.

Emmanuel Flowers, a two-star defensive back from Chino (Cali.) Ruben S. Ayala, signed and sent in his National Letter of Intent minutes before Dantonio got to the portion of his presser where he planned on talking about the 6-foot-2, 175-pound prospect. That was fitting in a way, as Flowers was one of a few recruits the Spartans didn't get in on until late in the process and managed to sign.

Flowers picked up an offer from MSU on Dec. 14, a month and a half before Signing Day. He took his official visit to MSU two weeks ago and made it official Wednesday. Michigan State is excited about his size and versatility in the defensive backfield and the fact he picked the Spartans over UCLA and San Diego State -- schools much closer to home.

But MSU wouldn't have ended up signing Flowers -- or even knowing about him -- if co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Harlon Barnett hadn't checked his direct messages on Twitter.

"His dad DM'd me, sent me a deal he had put out there," Barnett said Wednesday. "It was the beginning of December or late November. We get these all the time saying stuff like, 'Watch my film.' But it was his dad who sent it out, and what caught my eye about it was it said 6-foot-2 corner from L.A."

Michigan State was looking to add two more defensive backs in 2017, and at that size, Flowers is a guy who could stay at corner or move inside to safety, as Dantonio compared him to Kurtis Drummond. So Barnett was intrigued.

"I'm like, 'Alright, let me look at it. Whoa, this dude is pretty good,'" Barnett said excitedly. "So then I DM'd (Flowers' dad) and asked, 'You're flying over a lot of schools to get to Michigan State -- not that we're chopped liver, but what's going on here? He's 6-foot-2, he can play like this, what's the issue? Did he kill somebody? What's wrong?'

"His dad is like, 'Coach, I'm from Chicago, I got family in Grand Rapids, and I've always liked your program. You're the only team out East that I sent that film to, the only coach. I sent it to everybody out here, UCLA, USC.'"

Barnett went out to Chino in the middle of January before Flowers visited, and Dantonio went out to see him again after the official visit to seal the deal.

The same weekend Flowers was on campus, the Spartans welcomed in another defensive back by the name of Tre Person. The 6-foot, 165-pound corner picked up a Michigan State offer even later than Flowers on Jan. 12, and his recruitment really picked up late. In the time between Person got his MSU offer and traveled to East Lansing, Virginia Tech and West Virginia also put their hats in the running.

Person would announce his commitment to the Spartans over the Hokies and Mountaneers right after his visit. And again, Barnett got an assist on finding a guy the Michigan State staff believes is a special player.

"That first week of December, Coach (Dave) Warner has me go down to a school called Eagle's Landing Christian in Atlanta," Barnett said. "I'm watching their football practice and one of their assistant coaches comes over to me and says, 'Coach, I got a DB, a young kid I train, he goes to Westlake. He had a great senior year. He's a dog, Coach.'"

Barnett listened and told the coach to send him Person's film. He did, and Barnett watched.

"He is a dog, this guy can play," was Barnett's response to Person's film. "And it went from there."

The last player to actually commit to Michigan State in the 2017 class was receiver Laress Nelson. He gave his verbal to MSU and signed on the morning of National Signing Day, making the 5-foot-10 Nelson the fourth receiver of 2017 for the Spartans.

Nelson's recruitment truly came down to the wire, as the two-star receiver picked up his offer from MSU on Jan. 19, just two weeks before National Signing Day. The Spartans found him thanks to a heads up from someone close to former Michigan State receiver Macgarrett Kings, whom the coaches see a lot of in Nelson.

"Macgarret's trainer, Sly Johnson, is the one that presented him to us," MSU receivers coach Terry Samuel said. "Of course, Coach (Mark) Staten had a good rapport with him and then Sly hit me with (Nelson's film), as well. When I finally watched it, I was like, 'Okay, alright, this kid is fun to watch. Let me go meet him.' This was like on a Wednesday, and I got down there on a Thursday."

Nelson visited a week later on Jan. 27 and was an immediate lean to Michigan State, but the Spartans had him wait to see how things shook out with other receivers. With the way it all played out, Nelson committed at about 10 a.m. on National Signing Day.

A fast, explosive receiver out of Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) American Heritage, right by where Kings played his high school ball, Nelson was rated as just a two-star and didn't have offers from any major programs before Michigan State got involved.

"I think everybody wanted to look at his height," Samuel said. "They really wanted to see his height. I think this was the first time we could actually say this kid here, athletically -- height-wise you could say he doesn't have it, but he doesn't play like he's short. He plays aggressive, he plays physical. You see him block, you see him knock the crap out of people. And when that ball is in the air, he goes and gets it. You can't put a price tag on a guy that is aggressive going to the ball."

Nelson's acceleration and his ability to stop and start is what drew the Spartans to him. And now, Samuel sees a kid who was hardly recruited by big-time schools as a future solution in the return game and a guy that can play in the slot and handle jet sweeps on offense.

"I don't think there's anything he can't do," Samuel said.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-04, 00:59

Good read. Thanks, Goose.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-06, 11:15

Michigan State football fans turn on team, recruiting class, but why?

New additions move quickly onto Michigan State's offensive line
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-02-06, 14:15

gHost Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Michigan State football fans turn on team, recruiting class, but why?

The asshole who wrote the Spartan fans turning on the team is actually an MSU alum - what a fucking massive douche:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanbokerstrom/

How is he a douche? I thought his piece was spot on.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-06, 14:27

gHost Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Michigan State football fans turn on team, recruiting class, but why?

The asshole who wrote the Spartan fans turning on the team is actually an MSU alum - what a fucking massive douche:

Is he the douche or are the fans that constantly bitch about everything douches?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-06, 16:47

Nordic wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

I agree, although he missed the criticism that MD cant close. I also thought the piece was written a little too much like a fanboy, but that's no different than Hondo or Mark Snyder, so whatever.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2017-02-06, 16:52; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-02-06, 16:51

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I agree, although he missed the criticism that MD cant close. I also thought the piece was written a little too much like a fanboy, but that's no different than Hindi or Mark Snyder, so whatever.

Pretty sure it is a fanboy writer/blogger and not a legit journalist.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-06, 16:55

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I agree, although he missed the criticism that MD cant close. I also thought the piece was written a little too much like a fanboy, but that's no different than Hindi or Mark Snyder, so whatever.

Pretty sure it is a fanboy writer/blogger and not a legit journalist.

Yep, I recall some of the other pieces and we've discussed them as being too fanboy in nature. At least he's a Spartan fanboy and not (yet another) walverine fanboy masquerading as a Detroit newspaper sports reporter.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-06, 19:17

gHost Spartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

The piece itself wasn't bad but the issue I have is with the title and the opinion that Spartan fans have turned on the team. I don't think that's true at all.

Also true. If I had to guess, the writer probably scanned the message boards and drew the incorrect conclusion that we posters are a true representation of the entire fanbase.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-06, 19:45

gHost Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Also true. If I had to guess, the writer probably scanned the message boards and drew the incorrect conclusion that we posters are a true representation of the entire fanbase.

The title is "MSU turn on team, and recruiting class, but why?"

So the read is lead to immediately believe two things:
1) That all MSU fans have turned on the team; and
2) That all MSU fans have turned on the recruiting class

That is an incredibly misleading title; and the support for that title is found on internet message boards? Really? I mean, really? Over the years I've spoken to a lot of people about the RCMB at games and guess what, only a fraction of MSU fans even know that place exists. Us posters are the exception, not the rule. We have grown accustomed to reading these boards daily, as not just an MSU resource, but also for general news, conversation, etc.

There's a lot of die-hard fans that have absolutely nothing to do with message boards. Let's say that the RCMB has 1,000 daily visitors. Assuming all of them are either MSU students or alum, that's a fraction of the total number of alums and students. Furthermore, anyone who's ever read the RCMB or whatever, should realize that these message boards are filled with fringe lunatics, rejects, cast-offs, misfits, maladjusted boners, and losers.

Fuck that guy or the editor that created that misleading title.

Yeah, that's my point. It's pretty clear the writer only used message board posts and passed them off as a true representation of everyone in the MSU fanbase. As for the headline, that was probably something written by a copy editor, someone most likely a walverine who loves painting MSU in a bad light whenever the opportunity arises. It's the freep, after all. It's not like this is the first time it's happened.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-02-06, 23:11

You guys are putting a lot of stock into someone who writes for "isportsweb"
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-06, 23:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You guys are putting a lot of stock into someone who writes for "isportsweb"

Elitist snob.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-02-06, 23:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You guys are putting a lot of stock into someone who writes for "isportsweb"

I think you've missed the point of our discussion. We're actually discounting the value of the article.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-07, 20:20

Michigan State ‏@Michigan_State 8m8 minutes ago
More
Spartans stock up on defensive backs who could see immediate action http://bit.ly/2llY7Nf #Spartans
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-09, 09:47

Michigan State ‏@Michigan_State 1h1 hour ago
More
Michigan State hopeful it found steals in late 2017 recruiting class additions http://bit.ly/2lrNV61 #Spartans
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-02-09, 10:26

Its unfortunate that almost all writers and even radio talking heads rarely if ever acknowlegde a source if its a message board.

An exception was the late Drew Sharp when he wrote he found about Tommy Amaker's firing from a message board.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-21, 07:42

This is how you develop team chemistry. Live the way the seniors treated the recruits. Senior leadership is so important

Developing a culture that leads to a championship
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-02-21, 08:54

Good read. My favorite part...

If you constantly show negative reactions, no amount of happy sayings on decorative wooden blocks are going to save you. It doesn’t work that way. We connect from the inside-out.....
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-21, 12:42

LooseGoose wrote:Michigan State ‏@Michigan_State 8m8 minutes ago
More
Spartans stock up on defensive backs who could see immediate action http://bit.ly/2llY7Nf #Spartans

Just goes to show what a complete shit show we have been defensively since Nardog left.

10 years into Dantonio, and we are begging true frosh to have to come in a play immediately in the secondary, which is supposed to be Dantonio's bread and butter.

Can I lock in 6-6 right now?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-21, 12:47

DWags wrote:This is how you develop team chemistry. Live the way the seniors treated the recruits. Senior leadership is so important

Developing a culture that leads to a championship

Off the top of my head, I'd like to see Allen and Frey as senior leaders. Both seem passionate and have their heads on straight.

I could only imagine if people tried pulling bs like last year when Conklin and Calhoun were on the team...they'd pee themselves when confronted.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-02-21, 14:22

Hope to see Khari Willis make his way into a leadership role.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-21, 16:05

MattyFresh wrote:Hope to see Khari Willis make his way into a leadership role.

I guess. We are in serious trouble if he has to start. He's too slow.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-27, 10:15

810 had this elsewhere yesterday,....

Still filling in some 2017 kids....

Has been offered as a PWO:

Jack Henrichs OT
Ht 6-7 Wt 255 CLASS OF 17

http://247sports.com/player/jack-henrichs-46039497
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-02-27, 10:24

LooseGoose wrote:810 had this elsewhere yesterday,....

Jack Henrichs OT

Future All Big Ten Tackle and first round draft pick. Calling it.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-27, 10:28

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Jack Henrichs OT

He looks like a larger version of Sadler.

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 4_5150285

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-27, 11:05

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Jack Henrichs OT

Will never play a meaningful snap. Calling it.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-27, 11:09

The_Dude wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Prime future bump material here - for someone.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-27, 11:36

LooseGoose wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Prime future bump material here - for someone.

More or less poking fun at people that think every walk on linemen will be Conklin or 2 star CB a Dennard.

Those players were once in a lifetime for Dantonio. He will never have a walk on OL or 2 star CB as good as those guys. Ever again. Just be glad we won big when we had them.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-02-27, 11:39

The_Dude wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Takes-the-joke-seriously-guy over here.
I look forward to you bumping this thread in 2022 long after I've forgotten to attempt to remember this kid's name.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-27, 11:41

Clarett's Folly wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Takes-the-joke-seriously-guy over here.
I look forward to you bumping this thread in 2022 long after I've forgotten to attempt to remember this kid's name.

You must have mistaken me for Nigel or Fletch.

I wont even remember these posts later tonight yet alone when this kid actually plays.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-28, 21:51

Chris Solari‏Verified account @chrissolari 5m5 minutes ago
More
Chris Solari Retweeted Jack McKenna
Another preferred walk-on for 2017, a kicker/punter from Walled Lake Northern. http://kohlskicking.com/profile/jack-mckenna/22661/ …

Jack McKenna‏ @Jack_mckenna00
Blessed to say I'll be continuing my athletic and academic career at the Michigan state university. Thanks to everyone who helped

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 C5ykr98VAAICAVL
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 08:25

LooseGoose wrote:Chris Solari‏Verified account @chrissolari 5m5 minutes ago
More
Another preferred walk-on for 2017, a kicker/punter from Walled Lake Northern. http://kohlskicking.com/profile/jack-mckenna/22661/ …

Blessed to say I'll be continuing my athletic and academic career at the Michigan state university. Thanks to everyone who helped

tOfficial MSU Football Recruiting Thread: Class of 2017 - Page 16 C5ykr98VAAICAVL
a walk-on punter/kicker?

solid "get" for MSU.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-01, 08:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Chris Solari‏Verified account @chrissolari 5m5 minutes ago
More

a walk-on punter/kicker?

solid "get" for MSU.

Not unusual for a K/P, many of them walk on 1st.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-01, 08:52

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:a walk-on punter/kicker?

solid "get" for MSU.

Not unusual for a K/P, many of them walk on 1st.
yeah - was trying to be funny and controversial.. not unusual to have a punter/kicker earn their scholarship..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next