Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living Off the Grid

+9
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Banks2Mason
Stymie2000
I.B. Fine
tGreenWay
xsanguine
Clarett's Folly
MattyFresh
13 posters

Go down

Living Off the Grid Empty Living Off the Grid

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:27

I guess this is a super loaded question with so many variables but what would you need to live "off the grid"? If you need further clarification and what not just post it.  Assume you have proper water, minimal electrical need (off solar), waste disposal and proper food how long could/would you live there?
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Living Off the Grid Empty Re: Living Off the Grid

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:29

forget all shit like paying for student loans and kids education. Like all things forgiven, would you live "off" or choose your current shit
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-01-18, 21:32

I'd need 700 blank pages of paper and an old school typewriter to construct my manifesto and a shit ton of assault rifles because, duh, manifesto.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:33

Clarett's Folly wrote:I'd need 700 blank pages of paper and an old school typewriter to construct my manifesto and a shit ton of assault rifles because, duh, manifesto.
 study Living Off the Grid 276803595
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-18, 21:39

MattyFresh wrote:I guess this is a super loaded question with so many variables but what would you need to live "off the grid"? If you need further clarification and what not just post it.  Assume you have proper water, minimal electrical need (off solar), waste disposal and proper food how long could/would you live there?

I don't get it, matty. If you had all those things you could survive indefinitely.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:40

I don't get it, matty. If you had all those things you could survive indefinitely.

i forgot to add the choice.... 2) or do your current shit
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-18, 21:45

Gotcha. Those things and internet for me. If you're truly off the grid you always got shit to do around this hypothetical off da grid situation. It'd be fun.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:47

xsanguine wrote:Gotcha. Those things and internet for me. If you're truly off the grid you always got shit to do around this hypothetical off da grid situation. It'd be fun.

I want to try it when I have time but I am a weirdo. So I am wondering if anyone else has gone down that road or tested the waters. Obviously if they dove in they wouldn't be posting now.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-01-18, 21:49

Depends: Would I only be able to drink poopy milk?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 21:52

tGreenWay wrote:Depends:  Would I only be able to drink poopy milk?

The real question is I suppose.. would you shack up with me?
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-01-18, 21:58

If I were honestly going to do this I'd need a LOT of reading material to keep my mind busy.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 22:10

gHost Spartan wrote:What is the definition of "off the grid"? I've always thought that living off the grid meant that you were not connected to government and do not participate in social security, work under the table, no lease, and no way for government to find you, no paper trail. In that scenario, you could theoretically live off the grid but still have services like internet and cable it would however be under a false name or in someone else's name.

No SS and since you're not getting paid how can it be under the table.. you are working for your food not money. And you are off the map. No webs or cable.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 22:12

gHost Spartan wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

No SS and since you're not getting paid how can it be under the table.. you are working for your food not money. And you are off the map. No webs or cable.
Am I getting any pussy?

most likely BYOP, might be some scraps.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-01-18, 22:16

gHost Spartan wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Am I getting any pussy?

Asking the important questions here.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-01-18, 22:22

Why don't we ask Roc, isn't he pretty much like that now in Wyoming?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-18, 22:26

I.B. Fine wrote:Why don't we ask Roc, isn't he pretty much like that now in Wyoming?

Defeats the purpose of the question if the person is already living in said conditions.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stymie2000 2017-01-19, 08:42

A friend of mine and his wife have been off grid for about 6 months now. I think they're regretting it. They both still work; he travels quite a bit and she's part-time. They have satellite internet but with a limit of 21 GB / month it's pretty worthless. I'll be surprised if they last an entire year because I rarely hear him mention any positives. Between the "relative" isolation and the general all-around pain in the ass of it all it's gotta suck.
Stymie2000
Stymie2000
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-19, 08:46

Stymie2000 wrote:A friend of mine and his wife have been off grid for about 6 months now. I think they're regretting it. They both still work; he travels quite a bit and she's part-time. They have satellite internet but with a limit of 21 GB / month it's pretty worthless. I'll be surprised if they last an entire year because I rarely hear him mention any positives. Between the "relative" isolation and the general all-around pain in the ass of it all it's gotta suck.

Do you comfort her while he travels?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2017-01-19, 08:46

can someone talk dave warner into living off the grid?
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-01-19, 08:49

gHost Spartan wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Am I getting any pussy?

Yes, but she will be a little unkempt. Think 1970s bush.

Living Off the Grid Offgri10
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-01-19, 08:51

Stymie2000 wrote:A friend of mine and his wife have been off grid for about 6 months now. I think they're regretting it. They both still work; he travels quite a bit and she's part-time. They have satellite internet but with a limit of 21 GB / month it's pretty worthless. I'll be surprised if they last an entire year because I rarely hear him mention any positives. Between the "relative" isolation and the general all-around pain in the ass of it all it's gotta suck.

I think having satellite internet might be redefining "off the grid".
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Stymie2000 2017-01-19, 09:09

Floyd Robertson wrote:

True but it's the only way they can have phone service. Since cell service isn't available they have to use a network extender and that requires internet. With the 21 GB limit they're not really using the internet for much else.
Stymie2000
Stymie2000
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-01-19, 09:24

Depends on a person's mindset. Watch the last Alaskans. It's pretty hardcore but those mother fuckers are truly off the grid. If you don't mind putting in hard work the sustainability is very doable. It's the human interaction and loneliness that sets in and can cripple you. Watch the show Alone. Half the contestants crap out psychologically. I live fishing and hunting so I'm positive I could survive as long as I wanted. It just a question of how much do I really want it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-01-19, 10:22

Stymie2000 wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

True but it's the only way they can have phone service. Since cell service isn't available they have to use a network extender and that requires internet. With the 21 GB limit they're not really using the internet for much else.

That's not really being off the grid, which I think was Floyd's point. Having internet service is being on the grid, and they can be found rather easily if the gubmint ever wants to grab them.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-01-19, 18:23

kingstonlake wrote:Depends on a person's mindset. Watch the last Alaskans. It's pretty hardcore but those mother fuckers are truly off the grid. If you don't mind putting in hard work the sustainability is very doable. It's the human interaction and loneliness that sets in and can cripple you. Watch the show Alone. Half the contestants crap out psychologically. I live fishing and hunting so I'm positive I could survive as long as I wanted. It just a question of how much do I really want it.

Living Off the Grid AlaskanBushPeople0215

These guys?
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-19, 18:38

MattyFresh wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Depends on a person's mindset. Watch the last Alaskans. It's pretty hardcore but those mother fuckers are truly off the grid. If you don't mind putting in hard work the sustainability is very doable. It's the human interaction and loneliness that sets in and can cripple you. Watch the show Alone. Half the contestants crap out psychologically. I live fishing and hunting so I'm positive I could survive as long as I wanted. It just a question of how much do I really want it.

These guys?

I hope not, those people are nimrods.

The Last Alaskans actually live in the ANWR - I enjoy that one too.

Last Alaskans
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-01-19, 18:51

MattyFresh wrote:

These guys?

No.  Not those dip shits. Goose is right. The Last Alaskans is about the last 7 or so families allowed to live in ANWR. Once the last child dies, no one is allowed to call it home. One of the families lost a 2 year old to drowning in a river. She was swept away in the spring high water season I believe. You can see the pain and anguish on the mothers face when the subject is talked about. They never found the little girl. It's heart wrenching and hard to watch. It obviously happened many years ago but you can tell is still haunts the mother.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-01-20, 08:58

The movie "Into the Wild" covers this pretty well. Its a true story. Excellent soundtrack.
Into the Wild trailer

Quotes from Into the Wild
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-01-20, 09:40

Alone in the Wilderness is great. PBS documentary. Tells the story of Richard Proeneke. He said fuck it and built his own homestead in Twin Lakes, Alaska.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-01-20, 10:46

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away"

But yeah, that shit would get old fast. I grew up in rural Michigan, very quaint setting, on the lake, small town atmosphere, the whole deal. Sounds great right? Every once in a while, my wife and I stumble into a conversation about moving to the country and I just remember how utterly fucking bored I was as a teenager and what kind of "boys" my daughters would bring home on for dates and I'm like... nah, I'll pass.

Living off the grid is the same I think. Sounds good, very romantic notion but the practical aspects and daily grind would very quickly demolish any romantic notions of living on Walden Pond with the animals as your friends.

Also, getting old would be horrendously difficult and the first time I got a toothache, I'd be running for the nearest dentist but with no way to pay to have it fixed... fuck that.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-20, 10:48

Living off the grid isn't traveling and having slow internet. It working at jobs that don't require a SS# and pay in cash. Its using public internet with a browser that offers using EU servers that don't track (like startpage), using Walmart burner phones and changing them regularly. No bank acconts, no investments etc.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-01-20, 10:51

Stymie2000 wrote:A friend of mine and his wife have been off grid for about 6 months now.  I think they're regretting it.  They both still work; he travels quite a bit and she's part-time.  They have satellite internet but with a limit of 21 GB / month it's pretty worthless.  I'll be surprised if they last an entire year because I rarely hear him mention any positives.  Between the "relative" isolation and the general all-around pain in the ass of it all it's gotta suck.

This is not living off the grid.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-20, 11:08

SeeRockCity wrote:"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away"

But yeah, that shit would get old fast. I grew up in rural Michigan, very quaint setting, on the lake, small town atmosphere, the whole deal. Sounds great right? Every once in a while, my wife and I stumble into a conversation about moving to the country and I just remember how utterly fucking bored I was as a teenager and what kind of "boys" my daughters would bring home on for dates and I'm like... nah, I'll pass.

Living off the grid is the same I think. Sounds good, very romantic notion but the practical aspects and daily grind would very quickly demolish any romantic notions of living on Walden Pond with the animals as your friends.

Also, getting old would be horrendously difficult and the first time I got a toothache, I'd be running for the nearest dentist but with no way to pay to have it fixed... fuck that.

It's never good to have your leaders show weakness.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-01-20, 11:28

LooseGoose wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away"

Call it what you will. Where's my potato pie?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-20, 11:42

SeeRockCity wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Call it what you will. Where's my potato pie?

I'm on a baking break until at least February.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-01-20, 12:36

How is this for Irony?

http://www.waldengame.com/
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-01-20, 12:38

kingstonlake wrote:Alone in the Wilderness is great. PBS documentary. Tells the story of Richard Proeneke. He said fuck it and built his own homestead in Twin Lakes, Alaska.

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-01-20, 13:46

LooseGoose wrote:

And yet, you've offered him not even one glass of raw milk. How rude.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-21, 10:09

SeeRockCity wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Alone in the Wilderness is great. PBS documentary. Tells the story of Richard Proeneke. He said fuck it and built his own homestead in Twin Lakes, Alaska.

One of my all time favs. I watch it usually once a month.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down