Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nam vs China? Who you got?

3 posters

Go down

Nam vs China? Who you got? Empty Nam vs China? Who you got?

Post by Hut1hut2 Mon 2 Jun 2014 - 20:15

Does Russia get involved?
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Nam vs China? Who you got? Empty Re: Nam vs China? Who you got?

Post by Turtleneck Tue 3 Jun 2014 - 11:51

So here is my take on all of this.

I do not think Russia gets involved. I see Russia treating this issue much the same way that China has treated the Ukraine issue.

For me, decisions in China are always reflective of the balance of power in world politics. China's maritime disputes with Japan, Vietnam, and the Philippines are foremost about projecting power. When China was weak and needed space for economic development, they did not show much interest in getting mixed up in territorial disputes (beyond Taiwan). However, as their economy and military capabilities have grown, so has China's interest in the South China Sea.

Second, this is probably about testing US commitment to the region. China wants to be the dominant player in the region and would like to sooner or later push the US out of Asia. In the short-term, I do not see war. China wants to assert itself and it wants to force Japan, Vietnam, and the Philippines into being rather risk averse over maritime disputes in the South China Sea. However, China likely wants to flex its muscles without provoking a serious conflict. Overall, China now feels it can accept some of the costs associated with acting out in the region. But I still think China wants to play it safe and avoid conflict. Especially one that would that would draw in the US.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 3 Jun 2014 - 21:17

China was more of an observer for both the French/Indochina and and the VietNam war.

A lot of that had to do with Ho Chi Minh's distrust of Mao and The former USSR's ability to supply weapons with no interest in the internal affairs within Ho's government.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down