Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House buying question

+13
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
By-Tor
Dendrobates
MSU addict
Izzo Court
pulling69
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
y2kMgrad
InTenSity
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

House buying question Empty House buying question

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-08, 20:59

Here's the situation. I'm selling my place. Crossing my fingers we get an ok from the buyer tomorrow and we can move forward. Lets assume that's the case, especially since, if this thread is alive for a couple of weeks, I'll be at closing soon. I bought for 200k, 4 years ago, I have a contract for $288 cash. All said and done, with what we have, minus realtor costs, I'll walk away with about $100k. We're buying a place for $350, the original plan was to put 100k down on it, that's not going to happen. Going to put $85k down, with closing costs, probably that's all the $$ between the two, although the place is kind of worth more than that. Here is my issue. This place we're buying, during the inspection had a few things come up. Some of them major.
1) Polybulytene plumbing. Replacement costs appears to be about $10k.
2) No full wind mitigation, although after re reading the inspection, there is only 1 window that needs to be covered, and then I need to get stickers and should be able to get full wind mitigation, lets estimate that at $1500.
3) Pool needs to be resurfaced. Its not a huge pool, something like 7ft by 25ft and about 7 or 8 feet deep at one end. Resurfacing can be done at a later date, but need a cover of some type. Resurface estimate $4500, cover estimate $750?
4) Tree trimming. There is a tree with a large branch on the roof, that needs to come off, maybe about $500 or more to have it removed.
5) Painting. We want to repaint the place, I figure this will be about $2500 total.

My main concern is whether or not to change out the plumbing right away or not. If the insurance doesn't say anything, I could almost just put it off and if anything happens make a claim, but the insurance hasn't gone to the underwriter yet, and maybe they bring that up, I'm not sure.

Any advice?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

House buying question Empty Re: House buying question

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-06-08, 21:23

When we bought our house, it came up in the city inspection that the drain field needed to be replaced. It was quoted at about $6k so we negotiated half of that off the sale of the house. Of course, that was 2008 when buyers had leverage. Nowadays there is a risk the sellers will just walk and put it back on the market because the market is so good, depending on where you live. So it just depends how badly you want the house.

I don't think I'd just let the pipes fail hoping the insurance covers it though. That sounds risky to me. Good luck!
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-06-08, 22:30

y2kMgrad wrote:When we bought our house, it came up in the city inspection that the drain field needed to be replaced. It was quoted at about $6k so we negotiated half of that off the sale of the house. Of course, that was 2008 when buyers had leverage. Nowadays there is a risk the sellers will just walk and put it back on the market because the market is so good, depending on where you live. So it just depends how badly you want the house.

I don't think I'd just let the pipes fail hoping the insurance covers it though. That sounds risky to me. Good luck!

About to buy a house. We approached the seller with a few issues with the house that need to be fixed and they said you either take the house or they will go with one of the offers waiting behind us.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-08, 23:03

You in hurricane country?

Bite the bullet and replace the polybulytene before you move in. Its an improvement that will be more than inconvienient if you replace after you move in. Better to let the plumbers replace the bad poly without your stuff in the way.

I've seen a single leak from a poly failure force the homeowner to tear 2 rooms down to the studs and replace everything from the subfloor up including walls and ceiling.

If a worst case scenario happens and you have to move, you might have to replace it for the next owner and that would really suck.

Can you get a reduction because of it or did you buy with no contigencies. Can you get homeowners to cover water damage with poly?

You hiring a painter or do it yourself?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-08, 23:29

GRR Spartan wrote:You in hurricane country?

Bite the bullet and replace the polybulytene before you move in. Its an improvement that will be more than inconvienient if you replace after you move in. Better to let the plumbers replace the bad poly without your stuff in the way.

I've seen a single leak from a poly failure force the homeowner to tear 2 rooms down to the studs and replace everything from the subfloor up including walls and ceiling.

If a worst case scenario happens and you have to move, you might have to replace it for the next owner and that would really suck.

Can you get a reduction because of it or did you buy with no contigencies. Can you get homeowners to cover water damage with poly?

You hiring a painter or do it yourself?
I'm in hurricane country. Been here 10 years and NJ has been hit more than Miami. I'm guessing they don't pay 1/2 the premiums we do. Anyway. Damn you for knowing everything. This is a FSBO that we're buying from, and somewhat known to my wife's family. I'm trying to go that route now, where my wife talks to her uncle to ask him and his wife how to approach this. One of the sisters we're buying from is willing to give some, but the other is saying that we're buying way under the market and buying AS IS.

We're hiring someone to paint the house. I could probably do the kids rooms, and one or two more, but there is an open wall to the second story.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-06-08, 23:39

steveschneider wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:When we bought our house, it came up in the city inspection that the drain field needed to be replaced. It was quoted at about $6k so we negotiated half of that off the sale of the house. Of course, that was 2008 when buyers had leverage. Nowadays there is a risk the sellers will just walk and put it back on the market because the market is so good, depending on where you live. So it just depends how badly you want the house.

About to buy a house. We approached the seller with a few issues with the house that need to be fixed and they said you either take the house or they will go with one of the offers waiting behind us.  

Yeah it's a different market these days. A buddy at work just sold his house (GR area) and they had over 100 people through it in just a few days with multiple offers $30k over what they were asking. Is the market like this all across the country?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-09, 00:17

InTenSity,

Sorry if I came across as the grinch. I've been in construction as a supplier and did some flips with a friend about 10 years ago until the banks started wanting to dictate your profit.

The fact you are in New Jersey where it regularly freezes which in my mind makes replacing the poly the first job to get done before you move in.

The FSBO with a family member is tough.

I'd get 3 bids on replacing the pipe and get some comparables and show that there should be some room for 50/50 or 60/40 split with you taking on the 60. If one bid is ridiculously low get another.

You are still paying for most of the plumbing job and unless the objecting relative is way out there you might get them to budge unless you are buying $75K- $100K below comparables.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-06-09, 03:27

y2kMgrad wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah it's a different market these days. A buddy at work just sold his house (GR area) and they had over 100 people through it in just a few days with multiple offers $30k over what they were asking. Is the market like this all across the country?

The townhouse I was renting for the past number of years went up for sale when my lease ran out back in March. The owner spent some time and money, had the interior painted, put in new carpets, new appliances. Asking price he thought was going to be $405, he listed it at 395. Had one open house, got multiple offers. It was under contract after 2 days on the market. Got $415 for the place. Northern VA.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2017-06-09, 07:42

If the homeowners were going to stay in their home they would have to replace the plumbing at some point because the current plumbing will fail and if the home is approaching 30 years it's on borrowed time. The owners have to disclose the Polybulytene plumbing to all potential buyers and some realtors won't even show homes with it. I would offer them $14,000 under the asking price to cover the plumbing and pool. If they are offended and don't counter tell them good luck selling a home with Polybulytene plumbing. Heck, there's a good chance you won't be able to get homeowners insurance with that stuff.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-06-09, 08:11

I think you have answered your own question.  It has to be done - do it before you move in and before you paint.

The question of who should pay is based on how much of a deal you are truly getting when you consider the condition of the property and how much you want this particular house.  I think GRR Spartan's approach is a good one - the objecting sister may go for 50% or 40% - everyone declares victory.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-09, 09:05

Thanks for the advice. A couple more things. Grr, I live in Miami, not in NJ. We were the first to see the house and accept what they are asking. If you asking MiamiSpartan, for the type of house and where we're moving to, it is worth around $400 at this point, most likely. They were going to put it with a realtor at $365. I've gotten one quote from a description of the house, and 2 others. Their plumber or whoever they brought over said $4500, the 2 I've talked to have both said about $8500. I'm trying to get another quote from someone else.

The pool is as is, we accepted that and knew that moving in. I had actually budgeted for it. We can just make a few minor repairs and hold off on resurfacing until next year. That's not one of my concerns.

It also isn't family members, it is more like friends of my wife's family. Her aunt has worked with these 2 sisters for 30 years.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-06-09, 10:08

y2kMgrad wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Did GR go blue in the election? Does it have a lot of artists and progressives?

My .02 it seems like where ever there is a liberal enclave in this country the housing market is exploding. Houses seem to still be dirt cheap out in rural red areas.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-09, 11:33

y2kMgrad wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Not in Macomb county. Houses are selling at most at list price, with maybe 10k lower. It's kind of an in between market right now. Problem by me, is that new houses are being built everywhere (picking up where it left off in 2008). So why buy old, when you could buy new for the same price or a little more. This is my concern in selling my house 5 years down the road or so.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-06-09, 12:09

Why is you putting so much down?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 12:11

lived in our current house for 14 years - never, ever buying another house.. I hate the thought of not only buying a house, but moving into one - they'll roll me out of my current one feet first.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-06-09, 12:11

Dendrobates wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:

Not in Macomb county. Houses are selling at most at list price, with maybe 10k lower. It's kind of an in between market right now. Problem by me, is that new houses are being built everywhere (picking up where it left off in 2008). So why buy old, when you could buy new for the same price or a little more. This is my concern in selling my house 5 years down the road or so.

Yeah, it seems like it depends on the area. Some are scorching hot, others not so much.

From what I've found if you have the following in the area it's going to be a lot of $$$:

Hipsters

Artists

local brewery

Montessori School

vintage clothing store

boutiques

Shops selling vinyl

Coffee shops

food trucks
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 12:22

steveschneider wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Yeah, it seems like it depends on the area. Some are scorching hot, others not so much.

From what I've found if you have the following in the area it's going to be a lot of $$$:

Hipsters

Artists

local brewery

Montessori School

vintage clothing store

boutiques

Shops selling vinyl

Coffee shops

food trucks
sounds like an interesting place.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-09, 12:38

By-Tor wrote:Why is you putting so much down?
We wanted to keep our monthly payments about the same. As it is, we'll be about $150 higher/month putting down the 85. The original plan was to put down $100. With the difference in HOA's it came pretty close. My wife doesn't want to work full time, so I try to make things stretch a little. I'm also looking at this partially as an investment and partially as a place I'd love to fix up and be for quite a while.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-06-09, 13:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Hipsters

Artists

local brewery

Montessori School

vintage clothing store

boutiques

Shops selling vinyl

Coffee shops

food trucks
sounds like an interesting place.

In your state that place is called Ann Arbor.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 13:17

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:sounds like an interesting place.

yep - and Royal Oak, Ferndale, East Grand Rapids, etc.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-09, 13:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

yep - and Royal Oak, Mio, Ferndale, East Grand Rapids, etc.

FIFY
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 13:51

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yep - and Royal Oak, Mio, Ferndale, East Grand Rapids, etc.

FIFY
 House buying question 502811600  

"vintage clothing" in Mio..

House buying question Ceraint2
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-09, 14:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

FIFY
 House buying question 502811600  

"vintage clothing" in Mio..

House buying question Ceraint2

That movie was the worst.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-22, 16:55

Not that anyone wants an update, but here we go.
Got a quote for the plumbing that was reasonable, and owners kicked in $2k, so doing that first. Will get it painted as well.
Wind mitigation insurance in Miami is a fucking scam. The place has hurricane shutters already installed, but now I'm being told, since they don't have a certain etching on them and were installed prior to 2006, they might not be up to code, so we don't get full mitigation on the insurance. There isn't anything wrong with them. Now I wish I didn't come off the $7k on the sale of my house. Oh well, fuck it. I also misjudged the taxes and how portability works. For those of you who were able to buy in Miami in the early 00's, you are lucky as shit. Housing was affordable and if you got wind mitigation back then, your insurance companies aren't asking for everything to be up to code.
Can't back out now. Maybe everything will end up ok.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-22, 17:26

Sell the new house in a year, InTenSity, then buy an Airstream™ and see the country with your family. If your wife balks, I'm told the women in Wyoming are randy beasts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-22, 17:28

tGreenWay wrote:Sell the new house in a year, InTenSity, then buy an Airstream™ and see the country with your family. If your wife balks, I'm told the women in Wyoming are randy beasts.

It's not like women in Wyoming have any good options.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-22, 17:29

Still sounds like a decent deal.

Get the pool repaired/improved. Get the landscaping to your liking and in a couple of years if you are happy
you stay put. If not put it up for sale with a price that gets you into the next house.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-12, 08:19

Update 1
We close today at 1pm. It has been a hassle, we were supposed to close last Friday. The HOA sat on the acceptance letter for 2 weeks without releasing it, because they can. The ladies we bought the house from were nice enough to let us start moving our stuff in. We closed on our townhome on Friday the 7th. We had to be out that day, that was a hassle to get movers and everything figured out in 1 week, but we did it.
The HOA has security, and since we don't technically own the place yet, they aren't calling me to let people in, at least not all the security guys. A couple seem to. Yesterday, according to the plumber, when they went to go in, they were told that they can't continue to work on the plumbing without a permit. We can't get a permit until we have a copy of the warranty deed. So now the plumbing has been delayed by 2 days. Hopefully everything is done by next Thursday. Although they don't need to keep the water off completely.
We also decided to repaint the whole house, and remove the popcorn ceiling. That doubled our cost, but I think the end result is going to be pretty nice. The pool can definitely wait to be resurfaced. The bathroom will have to wait as well. Between the painting and the plumbing that is going to cost about 10k. I've probably spent about $1000 already buying stuff for the house, like the nest and other small things. I'll post some pictures when its finished.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-12, 08:27

InTenSity wrote:Between the painting and the plumbing that is going to cost about 10k.

Please post your cost/benefit analysis of this spending vs hookers & blow.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-12, 08:30

Please post your cost/benefit analysis of this spending vs hookers & blow.
In 5 years the painting will still be good, in 40 years the plumbing will still be good.
In 6 months the hookers and blow will be gone, plus possibly some health side affects. It would be an awesome time though!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-12, 09:07

InTenSity wrote:Update 1
We close today at 1pm. It has been a hassle, we were supposed to close last Friday. The HOA sat on the acceptance letter for 2 weeks without releasing it, because they can. The ladies we bought the house from were nice enough to let us start moving our stuff in. We closed on our townhome on Friday the 7th. We had to be out that day, that was a hassle to get movers and everything figured out in 1 week, but we did it.
The HOA has security, and since we don't technically own the place yet, they aren't calling me to let people in, at least not all the security guys. A couple seem to. Yesterday, according to the plumber, when they went to go in, they were told that they can't continue to work on the plumbing without a permit. We can't get a permit until we have a copy of the warranty deed. So now the plumbing has been delayed by 2 days. Hopefully everything is done by next Thursday. Although they don't need to keep the water off completely.
We also decided to repaint the whole house, and remove the popcorn ceiling. That doubled our cost, but I think the end result is going to be pretty nice. The pool can definitely wait to be resurfaced. The bathroom will have to wait as well. Between the painting and the plumbing that is going to cost about 10k. I've probably spent about $1000 already buying stuff for the house, like the nest and other small things. I'll post some pictures when its finished.

You are going to end up punching so many people.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-12, 10:40

Happy for you that you're getting moved in and nice job getting the owners to contribute $2K for the plumbing to get it up to code.

Sounds like the HOA is a piece of work. Wouldn't be surprised if you find a member or 2 who had their eye on the home you purchsed for themselves, family member or friend.

I'd make a point to introduce yourself to the head of the HOA and get to know every guy who works the gate.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-12, 10:44

GRR Spartan wrote:Happy for you that you're getting moved in and nice job getting the owners to contribute $2K for the plumbing to get it up to code.

Sounds like the HOA is a piece of work.  Wouldn't be surprised if you find a member or 2 who had their eye on the home you purchsed for themselves, family member or friend.  

I'd make a point to introduce yourself to the head of the HOA and get to know every guy who works the gate.  
The area we moved to is mainly spanish speaking. I'm mainly english speaking. There is definitely a language gap. They'll probably get to know me because I have the only German last name in the association. I might have to go to a few meetings and ask them how to get a translator.
Miami Spartan is it the same where you live?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-12, 11:09

InTenSity wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Happy for you that you're getting moved in and nice job getting the owners to contribute $2K for the plumbing to get it up to code.

Sounds like the HOA is a piece of work.  Wouldn't be surprised if you find a member or 2 who had their eye on the home you purchsed for themselves, family member or friend.  

The area we moved to is mainly spanish speaking. I'm mainly english speaking. There is definitely a language gap. They'll probably get to know me because I have the only German last name in the association. I might have to go to a few meetings and ask them how to get a translator.

On cinco de mayo order taco bowls all around, I've heard that helps break the ice.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-12, 11:11

LooseGoose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

On cinco de mayo order taco bowls all around, I've heard that helps break the ice.
Especially in Miami! House buying question 502811600
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-07-12, 12:50

InTenSity wrote:

Yeah, I'm probably one of the very few with a gringo last name, but to be honest, I don't know many of the names, so I'm just guessing off people I see around. But the language gap is pretty much dependent on age. I'd say that most people that I've spoken with around my neighborhood who are under the age of probably 60, speak English well, sometimes even gooder than me.

Though to be fair, I don't talk to many of my neighbors. Everyone on my block pretty much keeps to themselves (pleasant enough with each other, except for our war with the dipshits next door, but no one hangs out, which is fine with me). That's not necessarily indicative of the whole area, as even just a couple of blocks over from me, they have some "block parties" on Halloween and around the holidays.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-13, 11:59

I now own a house again! I also got things worked out with the HOA. I'll post pics once everything is done.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-13, 12:11

InTenSity wrote:I now own a house again! I also got things worked out with the HOA. I'll post pics once everything is done.
congratulations, dude.. as you know, a lot of of great/not-so-great things about being a homeowner, but when you're (relatively) young, the good parts outweigh the bad.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-07-13, 12:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I now own a house again! I also got things worked out with the HOA. I'll post pics once everything is done.
congratulations, dude.. as you know, a lot of of great/not-so-great things about being a homeowner, but when you're (relatively) young, the good parts outweigh the bad.
This isn't the first property I've owned, but it is the first house. We sold our townhome and bought a single family home. It is going to be work, but I think at the end of the day it can be an awesome place. Going to be a bit costly at the beginning, but so be it. Not everything has to be done at once. Hopefully my wife and I can come up with a 3-5 year plan.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-13, 12:17

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:congratulations, dude.. as you know, a lot of of great/not-so-great things about being a homeowner, but when you're (relatively) young, the good parts outweigh the bad.
This isn't the first property I've owned, but it is the first house. We sold our townhome and bought a single family home. It is going to be work, but I think at the end of the day it can be an awesome place. Going to be a bit costly at the beginning, but so be it. Not everything has to be done at once. Hopefully my wife and I can come up with a 3-5 year plan.
awesome. You don't need my advice but, in general, when we moved into our house 15 years ago, we had ideas of what needed to be done ASAP, what things we wanted done eventually, and ideas for down the road. The whole thing is a process, as you know. 15 years later, there are still things we'd like to do - my wife and I generally disagree on what those things are, though - House buying question 502811600  - for the most part, it's more cosmetic type stuff (she wants new counter tops, I want to repave the driveway, etc).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next