Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britain's Great Unraveling

+2
bullwrinkle
Turtleneck
6 posters

Go down

Britain's Great Unraveling Empty Britain's Great Unraveling

Post by Turtleneck Sat 7 Jun 2014 - 10:35

Posting for fellow poster and moderator of this board, the honorable Cym Jim.

"Two risks jeopardize the domestic underpinnings of Britain's international success: its shaky commitment to the European Union, and Scotland's uncertain commitment to the United Kingdom. in part by the growth of Euroskepticism in Britain, the governing Conservative Party has promised that if it wins an outright majority in the May 2015 general election it will hold an "in or out" referendum on staying a part of the EU. As the recent European Parliament elections underlined, such a plebiscite could well see the United Kingdom vote to leave. Remarkably, the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) -- a party built around a policy of British withdrawal from the EU -- last month became the first party other than the Conservatives or Labour to win a national election in over 100 years, only underlining the growth of anti-Brussels sentiment in Britain. The second, more immediate, potential earthquake is the prospect that Britain itself will break up later this year if Scotland votes for independence in September. While polls indicate that more Scottish voters want to stay in the union than leave it, surveys generally show in recent months growing support for independence."
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/06/05/britain_s_great_unraveling_scottish_independence_european_union_ukip
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Britain's Great Unraveling Empty Re: Britain's Great Unraveling

Post by bullwrinkle Sat 7 Jun 2014 - 17:15

Turtleneck wrote:Posting for fellow poster and moderator of this board, the honorable Cym Jim.

"Two risks jeopardize the domestic underpinnings of Britain's international success: its shaky commitment to the European Union, and Scotland's uncertain commitment to the United Kingdom. in part by the growth of Euroskepticism in Britain, the governing Conservative Party has promised that if it wins an outright majority in the May 2015 general election it will hold an "in or out" referendum on staying a part of the EU. As the recent European Parliament elections underlined, such a plebiscite could well see the United Kingdom vote to leave. Remarkably, the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) -- a party built around a policy of British withdrawal from the EU -- last month became the first party other than the Conservatives or Labour to win a national election in over 100 years, only underlining the growth of anti-Brussels sentiment in Britain. The second, more immediate, potential earthquake is the prospect that Britain itself will break up later this year if Scotland votes for independence in September. While polls indicate that more Scottish voters want to stay in the union than leave it, surveys generally show in recent months growing support for independence."
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/06/05/britain_s_great_unraveling_scottish_independence_european_union_ukip

Sorry, but I can't be interested in a country whose leader is a queen.
bullwrinkle
bullwrinkle
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Sun 8 Jun 2014 - 1:22

Sorry, what's your point?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 9 Jun 2014 - 20:24

Cym Jim wrote:Sorry, what's your point?

The point of the article is that Scottish independence and exiting the EU could undermine British image, influence, and prosperity. My points is...well, I just wanted to post it for you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Wed 11 Jun 2014 - 8:53

Turtleneck wrote:

The point of the article is that Scottish independence and exiting the EU could undermine British image, influence, and prosperity. My points is...well, I just wanted to post it for you.

Some people are starting to notice the "Death of the West" as described by Patrick Buchanan in his so titled book.
Friedrich Hayek's "Road to Serfdom" foretold the tyrannical centralized governments in the EU as well as USA we see today.

Many want to deny what they see and instead of having the courage to stand-up for their political, economic and cultural heritage, they make themselves feel better by mocking those that speak-up. Many just block it all out, hoping the boogyman just goes away.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 11 Jun 2014 - 15:16

Turtleneck wrote:

\

I think you're overestimating the Scots.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 11:08

You're in or you're out. There is no inbetween, Cym Jim.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/cameron-forces-eu-vote-european-commission-presidency?utm_content=buffere1960&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 11:36

Turtleneck wrote:You're in or you're out. There is no inbetween, Cym Jim.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/cameron-forces-eu-vote-european-commission-presidency?utm_content=buffere1960&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Seeing as he's going to lose probably 27-1, maybe 26-2 if he gets the Hungarians on board, I think his leadership should be the one being put to the vote. I'm not sure he's wrong about Junicker, but it's only a matter a time before he fails completely in his reform efforts and turns to a No vote. An alliance with UKIP now perhaps!
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwrinkle Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 15:53

Cym Jim wrote:

Seeing as he's going to lose probably 27-1, maybe 26-2 if he gets the Hungarians on board, I think his leadership should be the one being put to the vote. I'm not sure he's wrong about Junicker, but it's only a matter a time before he fails completely in his reform efforts and turns to a No vote. An alliance with UKIP now perhaps!

In other developments, your soccer team played rather well inn the World Cup I thought, but never really recovered from that exhausting game in Manaus, just like the Italians. Lots of good young talent in that team - good luck in the Euros old chap  Britain's Great Unraveling 969504605 
bullwrinkle
bullwrinkle
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by mears Wed 2 Jul 2014 - 2:39

Scots are not going to vote for independence.  Trust me on this; my wife was neighbors with Cym Jim and currently lives in Scotland.  I've attempted to spread a ton of vote yes propaganda, but the bottom line is only the dumbest of the dumb really believe becoming independent is a good thing for Scotland.
mears
mears
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 0:09

Cym Jim wrote:
\

I think you're overestimating the Scots.

He's not overestimating their -- excuse me, the North Sea oil, though.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down