Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg

+3
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
7 posters

Go down

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg Empty 114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg

Post by Guest 2017-07-02, 17:41

The 24th MI has a major role here as a part of the famous Iron Brigade.  My great-(?) Uncle dies from wounds rec'd there.  

Gettysburg - Civil War Trust

I've got a picture with each of my kids at the 24th monument there.   I hope to someday do the same with grandkids.

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg SF-24th-Mich-Monument
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg Empty Re: 114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-02, 20:00

I'm not proud of this, but I've read next to nothing on the Civil War. As much as I enjoyed Shaara's Killer Angels, it's still fiction.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg Empty Re: 114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg

Post by Guest 2017-07-02, 20:18

tGreenWay wrote:I'm not proud of this, but I've read next to nothing on the Civil War. As much as I enjoyed Shaara's Killer Angels, it's still fiction.

For a starter level Bruce Catton's trilogies still hold up....

The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat

Mr. Lincoln's Army/Glory Road/A Stillness at Appomattox

A deeper overview and almost required reading........Shelby Foote's 3 volume "The Civil War"

All battles have books about them, many battles have segmented books on certain days or parts of the battle.

Some of the best of those in my opinion:
A Landscape Turned Red - about Antietam by Sears
The Battle of the Wilderness - Gordon Rhea
Gettysburg - again by Sears

And all of those just scratch the surface.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-02, 21:25

The Civil War did not happen. Fake news.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-02, 21:30

Turtleneck wrote:The Civil War did not happen. Fake news.

No no no. Everyone knows that it happened, but it wouldn't have happened if Andrew Jackson had been a little bit later.

#lowiqcrazyturtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-02, 21:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:The Civil War did not happen. Fake news.

No no no. Everyone knows that it happened, but it wouldn't have happened if Andrew Jackson had been a little bit later.

#lowiqcrazyturtleneck

I talked to Frederick Douglass today. He disagrees.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-02, 21:35

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

#lowiqcrazyturtleneck

I talked to Frederick Douglass today. He disagrees.

You and Frederick Douglass need to sit down and think about why there was a civil war. People don’t realize, you know, the Civil War, if you think about it, why? People don’t ask that question, but why was there the Civil War?

Think about it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-03, 18:32

Ouch for the History Channel.

114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg Screen-Shot-2017-07-03-at-10.51.50-AM
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-29, 08:50

Kind of a sad story.....

The Decline of the Civil War Re-enactor
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-29, 10:40

http://www.kershawcountychamber.org/revolutionary-war-re-enactment

They do re-enactment of the battle of Camden during the revolutionary war just down the road from me.  Cornwallis routed Gates.  The home in the picture is from the movie "The Patriot" I believe.  The scene where Mel Gibson is explaining to Heath Ledger how brilliant Cornwallis was while thy watched, and the movie, is very loosely based on the battle and aftermath.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-29, 10:51

If that Rev War re-enactor snob Barnes would suit up in the blue or gray, maybe it wouldn’t be in such dire straits.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2018-07-29, 11:02

My great great grandfather was in the 22nd Michigan infantry division and fought in the battle of chickamauga.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-29, 15:07

Sorry Goose, but wasn't it 154 years, not 114, when you started this thread?
Walking around Gettysburg, you can still feel a strange vibe. If ever there was a haunted place, that's it.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-29, 16:24

I.B. Fine wrote:Sorry Goose, but wasn't it 154 years, not 114, when you started this thread?
Walking around Gettysburg, you can still feel a strange vibe. If ever there was a haunted place, that's it.
So, maybe math isn't his strong suit? 114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg 502811600

Went to Gettysburg in the 70's when I was in middle school. All these years later I still recall the battleground having a weird vibe. The quietness was almost eerie.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-29, 16:57

I.B. Fine wrote:Sorry Goose, but wasn't it 154 years, not 114, when you started this thread?

Sorry man, probably too much weed that morning. I've been to Gettysburg somewhere in excess of 20 times, and every time you get the chills. The 24th Michigan got wrecked on Day 1 and standing at that monument always gets me.

Taking my grandkids there is on the agenda within a couple years. I love the place. I've walked Pickett's charge - just doing that makes you wonder about the balls of steel those guys had. Over the years I've walked most of that battlefield and along with Antietam it's my favorite because so much of it is intact.

The great part for us is that within 150 miles you can visit most of the significant battlefields in the East - Manassas, 7 Pines, the Valley Campaign, Malvern Hill, 2nd Manassas, Antietam, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House.

Given a week and a good plan you can at least visit and do a tour of all of them. Throw in some Revolutionary War stuff and you've got a helluva vacation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-29, 18:05

The Pantry wrote:
So, maybe math isn't his strong suit? 114 years ago yesterday - Day 1 at Gettysburg 502811600

Went to Gettysburg in the 70's when I was in middle school. All these years later I still recall the battleground having a weird vibe. The quietness was almost eerie.

I did the same thing in 8th grade, went back 20+ years later with kids. Being a little older and (maybe) wiser it was a much, much more profound feeling than I had recalled.
I've heard a couple of stories of people camping out in the battlefield, don't think they were planning to do it again.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down