Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees

3 posters

Go down

I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees Empty I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-26, 20:11

But in an amicus brief filed at the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, lawyers under Attorney General Jeff Sessions contend that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans sex discrimination, does not cover sexual orientation.

"The sole question here is whether, as a matter of law, Title VII reaches sexual orientation discrimination," says the Justice Department's brief. "It does not, as has been settled for decades. Any efforts to amend Title VII’s scope should be directed to Congress rather than the courts."

The case kicked off in 2010 when Donald Zarda, a skydiving instructor, filed suit against his employer in federal court in New York, alleging the company terminated him for his sexual orientation in violation of Title VII.

After a lower court ruled and the case was appealed, the 2nd Circuit invited outside parties to weigh in.

It's Buzzfeed, but the actual brief is available in the article.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/the-justice-department-just-argued-against-gay-rights-in-a?utm_term=.blVgbD5V6#.jmv0XnK1Q
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees Empty Re: I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-26, 20:17

The good old days...I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees 58177a15150000d804530d10
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees Empty Re: I think things just got better for the LGBT community: DOJ argues in brief that Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-27, 11:45

Trump administration, intervening in major LGBT case, says job bias law does not cover sexual orientation
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/27/trump-administration-intervening-in-major-lgbt-case-says-job-bias-law-does-not-cover-sexual-orientation/?utm_term=.40cb942b7537
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-27, 12:08

Pleasing the conservatives for when he kicks Sessions in the nuts.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-27, 13:41

DWags wrote:Pleasing the conservatives for when he kicks Sessions in the nuts.

Yep. Next week, he might issue an executive order banning all abortions. Then he'll kick Sessions in the nuts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down