Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harvey

+9
msugolfguy
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
DWags
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
InTenSity
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Harvey Empty Harvey

Post by InTenSity 25/08/17, 10:24 am

Even though I don't think anyone that posts here is from Texas, I thought I'd start a thread. This will be the first major hurricane to hit the US in 12 years. It is expected to drop upwards of 35 inches of rains on parts, with area's as far as Austin getting 20-24 inches (RIP OTPT). I've already read some comments from people staying in the area, who posted stuff on teh face chatterbox. One person said they are going to stay and pray all night, and god will protect them. Another just said its a good thing they are on higher ground, so the flooding won't affect them. Newsflash, the 125 mph winds get stronger at higher elevations. I've driven through 50mph winds and that was a little nervewracking, I'm not sure about being in a wooden framed house up against 125+ winds. Not only are those people putting themselves in danger, but they are putting others in danger as well. Apparently Texas doesn't have a mandatory evacuation, so theres that. Hope everyone makes it, but my guess is that the flash flooding is going to be pretty bad.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Harvey Empty Re: Harvey

Post by InTenSity 25/08/17, 10:27 am

Dammit! I thought I was in the Beaumont Tower. Can a mod....we don't have any, anymore do we? Anyway guess I'll leave this hear for the Trump bashing after he fucks this up, and start another one in the Tower.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 25/08/17, 11:39 am

Gas prices will go up.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 25/08/17, 12:20 pm

Wonder if any of the state's GOP Congressmen will be concerned about fiscal restraint like they were when Hurricane Sandy slammed the Eastern seaboard on 2012?

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 25/08/17, 01:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/08/17, 01:20 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Wonder if any of the state's GOP Congressmen will be concerned about fiscal restraint like they were when Hirricane Sandy slammed the Eastern seaboard on 2012?

This.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/08/17, 01:22 pm

NigelUno wrote:Gas prices will go up.
Gas
prices have been going up for the past month, at least around EL, and despite what Goose has been saying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/08/17, 01:27 pm

The hurricane winds will dissipate eventually. God willing nobody loses their life if they stay. But those folks might get 22 inches of rain this week. That's gonna be a tragedy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/08/17, 01:29 pm

The only thing wrong with Texas is Texans.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 25/08/17, 01:44 pm

DWags wrote:The hurricane winds will dissipate eventually. God willing nobody loses their life if they stay. But those folks might get 22 inches of rain this week. That's gonna be a tragedy.
It could be 24 hours of Hurricane force winds. That is 75 or 80mph minimum for 24 straight hours. Gusts will be higher. And there is rain.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 25/08/17, 01:55 pm

Was a price war in EL last Sunday and I filled up at the Speedway across from Frandor for $2.19 while GR was attempting to go up and we saw $2.55 for a few days but it's dropped to $2.39.

Hurricane in Houston and along the Texas coast is a legitimate reason rather than claiming shortages due to planned refinery maintenance.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/08/17, 02:45 pm

InTenSity wrote:
DWags wrote:The hurricane winds will dissipate eventually. God willing nobody loses their life if they stay. But those folks might get 22 inches of rain this week. That's gonna be a tragedy.
It could be 24 hours of Hurricane force winds. That is 75 or 80mph minimum for 24 straight hours. Gusts will be higher. And there is rain.

Jesus. I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to ride that out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 25/08/17, 02:59 pm

DWags wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Even after the last election, you still don't believe people are that dumb? I'm reading comments from people on a relatives feed who are riding it out. I'm so tempted to tell them to attach their names and anything identifying to the clothes they are wearing so it is easier for the authorities to identify them afterwards.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/08/17, 03:02 pm

InTenSity wrote:
DWags wrote:

Even after the last election, you still don't believe people are that dumb? I'm reading comments from people on a relatives feed who are riding it out. I'm so tempted to tell them to attach their names and anything identifying to the clothes they are wearing so it is easier for the authorities to identify them afterwards.

I actually would do that. Wow. Best of luck to them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 25/08/17, 03:12 pm

Yesterday on Hear and Now or All Things Considered (NPR 1-3 PM) They ran a story on a Houston family who had to be brought out by boat last time and the sherriff didn't have children's life jackets.

Since then they have qualified for a Federal program to put their home on piers to raise them above the flood levels but they are waiting for the funds. Meanwhile their short term fix is buying lifejackets for everyone, putting their beds on risers and riding the storm out.

I called on Brownsville TX and the residents thought of tropical storms they way we think of blizzards. They've been rising out storms for generations.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 28/08/17, 12:17 am

I think it is great that the president took time today, during the massive flooding in Eastern Texas, to make book recommendations, call out sitting U.S. senators, and talk about the wall via Twitter.

I know that if Obama had behaved like this, there would have been few complaints from the people who have now pledged their fealty to Emperor Trump.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 28/08/17, 12:37 am

+1 for fealty.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 28/08/17, 07:37 am

lemme guess..

the "small government" republican governor/legislature, et al. is begging for money/resources from the feds.. but, oddly enough, whine about "government handouts" when it's other people in need.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 28/08/17, 07:48 am

Of course they want Federal aid because its their state.

Price of gas, jet fuel and diesel will all go up.

if you are thinking of buying a new or newer used car over the next 6 months do it in the next 10 -14 days before the 1000's of insurance claim vehicles start getting dried and shipped out.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 28/08/17, 07:54 am

GRR Spartan wrote:Of course they want Federal aid because its their state.

if you are thinking of buying a new or newer used car over the next 6 months do it in the next 10 -14 days before the 1000's of insurance claim vehicles start getting dried and shipped out.
I just find it really shocking that republicans are asking for government assistance/handouts. Shocked

Harvey 1494614055
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 28/08/17, 08:20 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Of course they want Federal aid because its their state.

I just find it really shocking that republicans are asking for government assistance/handouts. Shocked

Harvey 1494614055
Especially after all the Texas guys voted no for Sandy. Grr posted about that somewhere, maybe even earlier in this thread.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 28/08/17, 08:30 am

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Harvey 1494614055
Especially after all the Texas guys voted no for Sandy. Grr posted about that somewhere, maybe even earlier in this thread.
yeah, I know.

it's always fun to point out their glaring hypocrisy and selfishness..

the news out of Houston (and other areas down there) is pretty horrific, though - hopefully they'll get the assistance they need.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 28/08/17, 03:20 pm

During a press conference two weeks ago, President Donald Trump largely skipped over an executive order on infrastructure to focus instead on the fatal white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump blamed “both sides” for the violence. The media followed his lead, focusing on his incendiary comments instead of the order at hand.

Little noticed at the time was an item that now belongs at the forefront. On August 15, Trump signed an executive order rolling back various environmental rules in order to streamline approvals for infrastructure projects. One of them was an Obama-era order that established a federal infrastructure standard to reduce the risk of flooding damage.

The Federal Flood Risk Management Standard—which President Barack Obama signed into effect in January 2015—set new goals for defining flood plains and mitigating the risk of construction over them. The standard was coordinated by the National Security Council and involved the input of governors, mayors, and other stakeholders. The Obama-era rule amended a 1977 executive order on floodplain management by asking agencies to seek a “practicable alternative” to any projects on floodplains that would have either short-term or long-term adverse effects.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2017/08/trump-flooding/538203/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 28/08/17, 04:12 pm

Harvey Hennes10
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 28/08/17, 04:55 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Harvey Hennes10

Needs music like:
Nothing can Change The Shape of Things to Come

by Mann & Weil recorded by a dozen or more bands
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 28/08/17, 05:20 pm

Televangelist Joel Osteen cancelled services at his Houston megachurch Sunday and has yet to reopen its doors — despite the fact that thousands of flooded-out residents are desperately seeking shelter.

The perpetually smiling pastor told followers on Twitter on Monday to lean on their faith.

“Jesus promises us peace that passes understanding,” he wrote. “That’s peace when it doesn’t make sense.”

But Osteen’s comforting words didn’t sit well with critics, who want to know why the doors to his 16,800-seat arena at his Lakewood Church near downtown Houston are closed.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/pastor-osteen-shuts-church-amid-flooding-crisis/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 29/08/17, 08:21 am

Wait, I thought all the churches would rise up to help those in need. The goodness of those saint's will rue the day.

Guess not.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 29/08/17, 08:46 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Televangelist Joel Osteen cancelled services at his Houston megachurch Sunday and has yet to reopen its doors — despite the fact that thousands of flooded-out residents are desperately seeking shelter.

The perpetually smiling pastor told followers on Twitter on Monday to lean on their faith.

“Jesus promises us peace that passes understanding,” he wrote. “That’s peace when it doesn’t make sense.”

But Osteen’s comforting words didn’t sit well with critics, who want to know why the doors to his 16,800-seat arena at his Lakewood Church near downtown Houston are closed.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/pastor-osteen-shuts-church-amid-flooding-crisis/

Open now
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 29/08/17, 08:51 am

God works in mysterious ways.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 29/08/17, 08:55 am

GRR Spartan wrote:God works in mysterious ways.

Often through public opinion
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 29/08/17, 08:57 am

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 29/08/17, 11:08 pm

Harvey DIbvWNzV4AUzpST
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 29/08/17, 11:13 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Harvey DIbvWNzV4AUzpST

Harvey 502811600

I'm sure those people went to the website to buy the hat Trump was wearing also.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/29/news/trump-harvey-campaign-hat/index.html

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 30/08/17, 12:50 am

Those folks seem smart. A fine representation of the typical trump voter.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 30/08/17, 06:57 am

The good ol' days Bob:

Harvey BUSH_GUITAR_PIE
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 30/08/17, 07:20 am

What did the meeting in Austin accomplish? Other than everyone saying what a great job they're doing...

I guess Trump got some more time to sell his hat.

Does he sell his wife's hat also? The FLOTUS one?

And who wears white to a Hurricane?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 30/08/17, 08:16 am

That FLOTUS hat cracked me up when I saw it last night. I think she had at least changed out of her high heels by then.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 30/08/17, 02:18 pm

I don't know why, but its starting to piss me off that the state that has probably done more damage to the US, in terms of climate change and education, is going to get more relief than any other state ever. They don't get punished for electing officials that want less government. If they want to secede, let them go ahead and do so right now. See how well they do with less government.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30/08/17, 06:30 pm

More bullshit fake news with the usual jaws in here flapping nonsense.....

Dan McLaughlin‏Verified account @baseballcrank 5m5 minutes ago
OK, after seeing the condition of Joel Osteen's church, I'm convinced I & others were unfair to him

The Truth About Joel Osteen's Church

Harvey DIVd0hKUIAAgEyh

Obviously, no structure with that amount of floodwater inside could possibly take in and provide shelter for thousands of victims, but there is even more to the story: Lakewood was never even asked to host flood victims.

The City of Houston and Harris County Emergency Management have instead been instructing those in need of a place to stay to head to any number of designated shelters. Likely wary of the violence, rape, and other issues at the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina, Houston officials have avoided using massive complexes like Lakewood to house victims. Simply put, as the Superdome demonstrated, it is simply too difficult to manage that many people in one place.

Instead, emergency workers have been pooling supplies at the designated relief areas, which are smaller and easier to manage. Moreover, having multiple relief areas spread around the city makes far more logistical sense than one or two massive sites like a megachurch (which used to be a basketball arena) or a football stadium.

"We were on the phone with the city … they said the shelters are fine at the moment," Lakewood spokesman Don Iloff told FaithWire.com. "We basically said we can put [a few hundred] people on the second level [and the] city said, 'We'll get back with you.' We are prepared to house those people."

In addition, Osteen issued a statement indicating that Lakewood has not turned a single person away who came to the church seeking shelter. However, instead of housing them in the church--which the City of Houston did not request and presumably did not want since Lakewood did not have adequate supplies--church staffers and/or volunteers transported the victims to one of the designated shelters; including one just a few miles away.

"We have never closed our doors," Osteen said. "We will continue to be a distribution center to those in need. We are prepared to house people once shelters reach capacity. Lakewood will be a value to the community in the aftermath of this storm.

But as usual in this cesspit the simple fact of disliking him will justify lying.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 30/08/17, 07:12 pm

LooseGoose wrote:More bullshit fake news with the usual jaws in here flapping nonsense.....

Dan McLaughlin‏Verified account @baseballcrank 5m5 minutes ago
OK, after seeing the condition of Joel Osteen's church, I'm convinced I & others were unfair to him

Harvey DIVd0hKUIAAgEyh

Obviously, no structure with that amount of floodwater inside could possibly take in and provide shelter for thousands of victims, but there is even more to the story: Lakewood was never even asked to host flood victims.

The City of Houston and Harris County Emergency Management have instead been instructing those in need of a place to stay to head to any number of designated shelters. Likely wary of the violence, rape, and other issues at the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina, Houston officials have avoided using massive complexes like Lakewood to house victims. Simply put, as the Superdome demonstrated, it is simply too difficult to manage that many people in one place.

Instead, emergency workers have been pooling supplies at the designated relief areas, which are smaller and easier to manage. Moreover, having multiple relief areas spread around the city makes far more logistical sense than one or two massive sites like a megachurch (which used to be a basketball arena) or a football stadium.

"We were on the phone with the city … they said the shelters are fine at the moment," Lakewood spokesman Don Iloff told FaithWire.com. "We basically said we can put [a few hundred] people on the second level [and the] city said, 'We'll get back with you.' We are prepared to house those people."

In addition, Osteen issued a statement indicating that Lakewood has not turned a single person away who came to the church seeking shelter. However, instead of housing them in the church--which the City of Houston did not request and presumably did not want since Lakewood did not have adequate supplies--church staffers and/or volunteers transported the victims to one of the designated shelters; including one just a few miles away.

"We have never closed our doors," Osteen said. "We will continue to be a distribution center to those in need. We are prepared to house people once shelters reach capacity. Lakewood will be a value to the community in the aftermath of this storm.

But as usual in this cesspit the simple fact of disliking him will justify lying.

Says tBin's most dishonest poster.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 30/08/17, 07:24 pm

LooseGoose wrote:More bullshit fake news with the usual jaws in here flapping nonsense.....

Dan McLaughlin‏Verified account @baseballcrank  5m5 minutes ago

Harvey DIVd0hKUIAAgEyh

The City of Houston and Harris County Emergency Management have instead been instructing those in need of a place to stay to head to any number of designated shelters.  Likely wary of the violence, rape, and other issues at the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina, Houston officials have avoided using massive complexes like Lakewood to house victims. Simply put, as the Superdome demonstrated, it is simply too difficult to manage that many people in one place.

Instead, emergency workers have been pooling supplies at the designated relief areas, which are smaller and easier to manage.  Moreover, having multiple relief areas spread around the city makes far more logistical sense than one or two massive sites like a megachurch (which used to be a basketball arena) or a football stadium.

In addition, Osteen issued a statement indicating that Lakewood has not turned a single person away who came to the church seeking shelter.  However, instead of housing them in the church--which the City of Houston did not request and presumably did not want since Lakewood did not have adequate supplies--church staffers and/or volunteers transported the victims to one of the designated shelters; including one just a few miles away.

Except...

After Pressure Mounts, Joel Osteen Says His Houston Megachurch Is Open To Evacuees

Educate yourself.  Watch some videos in the link.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next