Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

+19
xsanguine
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
SawGreen
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
Da Mayor
tGreenWay
Heat Miser
I.B. Fine
MSU addict
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Dendrobates
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-23, 10:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:
Wags, I am just jaded, seems we spend way to much time worrying about which pronouns are 'safe' to use, while lives fall through the cracks.

Bob, you're close, saving druggies doesn't get votes.
I'm smarter than I look.
I figured, no one is that.......Wink
Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 Rimshot
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 10:48

Goose succeeded in derailing another thread about gun discussion. Good work dude.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-03-23, 10:51

Had lunch with a friend recently. His son goes to a private school near Parkland. Said they now have armed rent-a-cops on the roof.

1. Armed guards
2. Metal detectors
3. Security doors

We're basically sending our kids to prison every day.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:53

I.B. Fine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I'm smarter than I look.
I figured, no one is that.......Wink
Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 Rimshot
I have a face made for message boards.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:53

Heat Miser wrote:Had lunch with a friend recently. His son goes to a private school near Parkland. Said they now have armed rent-a-cops on the roof.

1. Armed guards
2. Metal detectors
3. Security doors

We're basically sending our kids to prison every day.
money talks.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 11:07

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Kids simply going to school and getting mowed down by guns are simply choosing to go to school.

OK, after this I'll stfu.

Over the past 25 years the US has AVERAGED 10 deaths a year in school shootings. I'll bet the average citizen would think it MUCH higher because of the wall to wall coverage on the networks. More kids die walking or biking to school than do in school shootings. I'm sorry that introducing facts may stir even more emotion but we should at least look at them.

You're smart enough to know that's WAY down the list of how kids die. And you left out "mowed down by idiots using guns", you want to make it seem as if the guns are doing it all by themselves.

School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth

In print and on TV, Americans were bombarded with facts and figures suggesting that the problem of school shootings was out of control. We were informed, for example, that since 2013 there has been an average of one school shooting a week in the U.S., and 18 since the beginning of this year. While these statistics were not exactly lies or fake news, they involved stretching the definition of a school shooting well beyond the limits of most people’s imagination.

Since 1990, there have been 22 shootings at elementary and secondary schools in which two or more people were killed, not counting those perpetrators who committed suicide.

Over the past quarter-century, on average about 10 students are slain in school shootings annually.

Compare the school fatality rate with the more than 100 school-age children accidentally killed each year riding their bikes or walking to school.

Just in case you think these stats are from an idiot:

James Alan Fox is the Lipman Professor of Criminology, Law and Public Policy at Northeastern University, a member of USA TODAY's Board of Contributors and co-author of Extreme Killing: Understanding Serial and Mass Murder.

The difference is when kids are hit by bikes or buses, laws are changed to help make it not happen again. By me in Macomb, a girl died being hit by another student on her way to class. There just weren't any sidewalks. So they put in sidewalks over the summer and lowered the speed in the area. We need to make changes to stop these things from happening. Murdering children takes a higher priority even though the numbers aren't as big as Opoids. But something for sure needs to be done with that as well.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 11:16

Goose, I am so sorry for your lose though. It is an awful situation.

I have been lucky one of my brothers has been clean and sober for several years now. I hope it continues.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 11:18

Also, kudos to everyone for the discussion. I want to hear others thoughts of what is going on. Even if some are off point, Bob brings up the point of votes/money. It is an unfortunate reality.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 11:26

Dendrobates wrote:Also, kudos to everyone for the discussion. I want to hear others thoughts of what is going on. Even if some are off point, Bob brings up the point of votes/money. It is an unfortunate reality.
like every issue facing our country, there are multiple facets to the causal factors. I'm kinda old fashioned in a lot of ways and I genuinely believe that the breakdown in families and proliferation of social media are common threads in almost every issue our society faces.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 12:52

I worry about this stuff a lot more now that I have a kid that will be in school in a few years. These incidents seem to be getting worse not better. Nothing is being done about it. Nothing will be done about it. It's fucking frustrating. It's doubly frustrating when the other side won't even engage in a discussion about it. All you can do it hope it doesn't touch you. Fingers crossed I guess.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-23, 12:57

Can we talk about how many people are killed each year at train crossings? I heard a commercial and it's a lot.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-23, 13:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Can we talk about how many people are killed each year at train crossings? I heard a commercial and it's a lot.

Generally speaking, aren't they all Darwin Award recipients?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-23, 13:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Can we talk about how many people are killed each year at train crossings? I heard a commercial and it's a lot.

Generally speaking, aren't they all Darwin Award recipients?
Does riding with an aspiring Darwin Awardist make you an Darwin Awardist as well?

Which brings us back to kids and reasoning skills.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 13:41

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I worry about this stuff a lot more now that I have a kid that will be in school in a few years. These incidents seem to be getting worse not better. Nothing is being done about it. Nothing will be done about it. It's fucking frustrating. It's doubly frustrating when the other side won't even engage in a discussion about it. All you can do it hope it doesn't touch you. Fingers crossed I guess.
yeah - it sounds kind of condescending and patronizing to people who don't have kids, I know, but you definitely see life through a different prism when you have you have kids.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-03-23, 15:36

Dendrobates wrote:Lets try not to wells this up. I think this could stay on the main board if we all cooperate.

Ha ha! Right. I appreciate your optimism.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-23, 16:16

The one thing that gives me hope is the young people speaking out on this issue.
https://twitter.com/chuckmodi1/status/977270917989576704

They’re very well spoken and seem up for the challenge to fix the problem
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-23, 16:17

steveschneider wrote:The one thing that gives me hope is the young people speaking out on this issue.

Until they get distracted by Insta.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-03-23, 17:59

Da Mayor wrote:
steveschneider wrote:The one thing that gives me hope is the young people speaking out on this issue.

It's that "can do" attitude of yours that really attracts people. Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 55953254
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-23, 18:05

Heat Miser wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

It's that "can do" attitude of yours that really attracts people. Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 55953254

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 2809484752
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 18:21

I honestly believe the rise can be in no small part attributed to a decline in morality with these contributing factors... combined with the ability to obtain weapons.

Video gaming - death at every turn.

Social media - a environment where too many can be shunned or heroes for non-heroic deeds.

Internet - where you can find support for your own internal misguided thoughts and cause.

Pussification - I appreciate the strides for all causes for equality, but I think it also provides a feeling for some that society understands and has your back if you do harm. I catch shit for this, but only on-line. I teach my kids to have self-worth, understand there are ass-holes in this world (and everyone knows they are ass-holes); and have some back-bone.

Divorce and single-parenthood - It's getting harder and harder for single parents to provide the emotional support for their kids, and too often it seems, that support is to support even the bad shit they do.

I know video games will draw ire. "I play and it doesn't make me want to kill people."... every person is different, particularly emotionally.

Before the person kills, they first have to want to kill. I don't mind making it harder on them in getting the tool, but the tool is not the problem.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 18:25

SawGreen wrote:I honestly believe the rise can be in no small part attributed to a decline in morality with these contributing factors... combined with the ability to obtain weapons.

Social media - a environment where too many can be shunned or heroes for non-heroic deeds.

Internet - where you can find support for your own internal misguided thoughts and cause.

Pussification - I appreciate the strides for all causes for equality, but I think it also provides a feeling for some that society understands and has your back if you do harm. I catch shit for this, but only on-line. I teach my kids to have self-worth, understand there are ass-holes in this world (and everyone knows they are ass-holes); and have some back-bone.

Divorce and single-parenthood - It's getting harder and harder for single parents to provide the emotional support for their kids, and too often it seems, that support is to support even the bad shit they do.

I know video games will draw ire. "I play and it doesn't make me want to kill people."... every person is different, particularly emotionally.

Before the person kills, they first have to want to kill. I don't mind making it harder on them in getting the tool, but the tool is not the problem.

This.

I’d study any book on the theory of Rome’s fall. It’s frightening. Does Trump fiddle?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:47

Dendrobates wrote:Lets try not to wells this up. I think this could stay on the main board if we all cooperate.
I’m way late but it’s impossible to “wells anything up” here on account of Wells not being a thing. I wish people wouldn’t Bin it up. Or whatever.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:49

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Are kids coming into a school setting and forcing other kids to OD on heroin? There's your answer.

You know what?   School shooting deaths would be a tiny fraction of that 13,000.  I'll bet that among that 65,000 opioid deaths you could find a similar fraction that were compelled by others to "try this".   I guess it depends on how you want to define things.

As a country we spend enormous time arguing over how to save 100 while 10s of thousands die.   That doesn't mean the 100 aren't important but it's not a rational way to apportion your time and effort.
This is wrong.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:52

SawGreen wrote:I honestly believe the rise can be in no small part attributed to a decline in morality with these contributing factors... combined with the ability to obtain weapons.

Pussification - I appreciate the strides for all causes for equality, but I think it also provides a feeling for some that society understands and has your back if you do harm.  I catch shit for this, but only on-line.  I teach my kids to have self-worth, understand there are ass-holes in this world (and everyone knows they are ass-holes); and have some back-bone.

I know video games will draw ire.  "I play and it doesn't make me want to kill people."... every person is different, particularly emotionally.

Before the person kills, they first have to want to kill.  I don't mind making it harder on them in getting the tool, but the tool is not the problem.
A lot of this is dumb.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 18:53

Good to see Travis taking the time to engage in the discussion. I've been waiting all after for his approval/disapproval.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:55

As far as why Michigan faces more threats, which is why we’re here, I actually wonder if certain states are better at identifying the threats than others which skyrockets them up these charts but doesn’t mean it’s actually different.

If a kid in Michigan and a kid in, oh I dunno, Alabama, both make a threat on their insta but only the kid in Michigan’s threat is picked up and noticed by those in charge, then that’s the only one that’s added to this stat. Does it mean more kids in Michigan make threats? Well, no.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 18:55

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
A lot of this is dumb.

Gamer aren't you.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:55

LooseGoose wrote:Good to see Travis taking the time to engage in the discussion.  I've been waiting all after for his approval/disapproval.
I really don’t need to waste my time with every disproven comment by idiots who didn’t bother to investigate their opinions.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 18:56

SawGreen wrote:
A lot of this is dumb.

Gamer aren't you.
Well that was a dumb comment. But a lot of the rest of the post was too.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 18:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:As far as why Michigan faces more threats, which is why we’re here, I actually wonder if certain states are better at identifying the threats than others which skyrockets them up these charts but doesn’t mean it’s actually different.

If a kid in Michigan and a kid in, oh I dunno, Alabama, both make a threat on their insta but only the kid in Michigan’s threat is picked up and noticed by those in charge, then that’s the only one that’s added to this stat. Does it mean more kids in Michigan make threats? Well, no.

This is true with everything. If you identify and publish, suddenly you have a problem worse than others.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 19:00

SawGreen wrote:

Gamer aren't you.

You didn't answer the question. Explain my "dumbness" hopefully in 5000 words or less.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 19:06

SawGreen wrote:

You didn't answer the question.  Explain my "dumbness" hopefully in 5000 words or less.
Well your paragraph about “pussification” (which isn’t even really a thing but whatever.) doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. No one knows what the hell youre even trying to get at there.

Your comments about the internet are like a guy saying in 1920 “well there are more car accidents because we have cars now! Back in my horse days no one died from cars” cool, you’re right, but it doesn’t help.

Same thing regarding social media, which is literally the same point as the internet one. 

For video games- google it yourself. I’m not really a “gamer” though I sometimes play them. Plenty of people have done studies. Plenty of people have found no credible link, but that doesn’t stop plenty of other people from thinking they’re making a smart point. They’re not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 19:26

SawGreen wrote:

You didn't answer the question.  Explain my "dumbness" hopefully in 5000 words or less.
Well your paragraph about “pussification” (which isn’t even really a thing but whatever.) doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. No one knows what the hell youre even trying to get at there.

Your comments about the internet are like a guy saying in 1920 “well there are more car accidents because we have cars now! Back in my horse days no one died from cars” cool, you’re right, but it doesn’t help.

Same thing regarding social media, which is literally the same point as the internet one. 

For video games- google it yourself. I’m not really a “gamer” though I sometimes play them. Plenty of people have done studies. Plenty of people have found no credible link, but that doesn’t stop plenty of other people from thinking they’re making a smart point. They’re not.

Ok. My best response is you are a the dumb one.

Way back, at the dawn of time and before the internet, when you felt bad because somebody pissed you off, you sulked. You sat in your room, you were in a bad mood. And the next day, you got up and went to school. If you were lucky, you also had parents who recognized your mood and maybe even reached out... and the kid would often talk because they didn't have their face buried in bits and bytes. And what those (good) parents would say is, "It's ok. The person was wrong. I'm behind you, but you need to get back on the bike."

Fast forward to today, where the same person doesn't look at the ceiling. The go out searching for somebody (strangers) who will have their back. They will play a video game where their revengeful thoughts become physical as well as mental fed by images they couldn't even conjure on their own. Parents aren't in the equation because their boredom doesn't bring them out of their room, or Mom's pulling a double-shift. They can feed their each and every whim to build their own motive for retribution.

Go look at these kids. They aren't the Menendez brothers. Look at the single-parent angle, look at the gaming angle, look at the internet angle. Pussification is my own contribution... but I'll stand by it.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 19:39

But today is today saw green. You don’t get to go back. Like I said if you want to blame the existence of cars for more car accidents that’s fine and right but it doesn’t move the conversation forward whatsoever. Cars aren’t going to stop existing. So great, you’re probably right that the internet lends a hand, but acknowledging that is like step 1 in a 20 step process.

But again, the “pussification” which isn’t a real thing, doesn’t make any sense at all still. I think what your getting at is what your mental profile of what these people is. Which, again, google any number of studies and maybe you’ll be like “hey wait. Maybe the issue is bigger than the games they play or the music they listen to.” Which it is. You’re way more on target with your talking about the internet, but it’s not even remotely close to a solution.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-03-23, 20:27

DWags wrote:Here is a question:  We had a discussion at dinner last night, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. MSU Addict brought it up about kids doing "stupid shit".  Besides these threats, how many of you have been somehow in someway touched by an opioid death from a person you know or a family you know?  

Don't need the tragic stories because they all are.  But I have a 21 year old, and a 17 year old, and both have had friends die from that.  So yeah, kids do stupid shit.

think there were 2 kids in my HS class that OD'd
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 20:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:But today is today saw green. You don’t get to go back. Like I said if you want to blame the existence of cars for more car accidents that’s fine and right but it doesn’t move the conversation forward whatsoever. Cars aren’t going to stop existing. So great, you’re probably right that the internet lends a hand, but acknowledging that is like step 1 in a 20 step process.

But again, the “pussification” which isn’t a real thing, doesn’t make any sense at all still. I think what your getting at is what your mental profile of what these people is. Which, again, google any number of studies and maybe you’ll be like “hey wait. Maybe the issue is bigger than the games they play or the music they listen to.” Which it is. You’re way more on target with your talking about the internet, but it’s not even remotely close to a solution.

I never once mentioned solutions. I mentioned contributing factors.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-23, 20:53

Do you play video games? Do you have any first hand experience? Hell, do you have any studies you can point to that demonstrate that video games contribute to real world violence?

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 2 Cathar10
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-03-23, 20:58

SawGreen wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:But today is today saw green. You don’t get to go back. Like I said if you want to blame the existence of cars for more car accidents that’s fine and right but it doesn’t move the conversation forward whatsoever. Cars aren’t going to stop existing. So great, you’re probably right that the internet lends a hand, but acknowledging that is like step 1 in a 20 step process.

I never once mentioned solutions.  I mentioned contributing factors.
Well then you can probably settle on “internet sucks but is also good” and move on with your day as if anything was accomplished
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-23, 21:20

Cameron wrote:
Do you play video games? Do you have any first hand experience? Hell, do you have any studies you can point to that demonstrate that video games contribute to real world violence?

Q: Do you play video games? Do you have any first hand experience?

A: Not much anymore, but I have. Doom was awesome. Do you own guns? I don't want to kill because I own them... because I'm talking about me.

Q: Hell, do you have any studies you can point to that demonstrate that video games contribute to real world violence?

A: En masse, of course not. What's the ratio of "they do contribute" do you need? We are talking about a minuscule to extremely finite minority of people with mental issues. Here is what I do think. Nascar drivers train on video games, as do NFL players, soccer players, etc. For those predisposed or on the fringe, I earnestly believe that video games can contribute if for nothing else than fantasy and "practice".

None of my comments are an "attack" on society (or gamers). I do think morality has declined, I do think intestinal fortitude (on the average) has declined. But, even if neither is true, when you look at the perpetrators, I listed things that I believe are contributing factors.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-23, 21:23

SawGreen wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Q: Do you play video games? Do you have any first hand experience?

A: Not much anymore, but I have. Doom was awesome. Do you own guns? I don't want to kill because I own them... because I'm talking about me.

Q: Hell, do you have any studies you can point to that demonstrate that video games contribute to real world violence?

A: En masse, of course not. What's the ratio of "they do contribute" do you need? We are talking about a minuscule to extremely finite minority of people with mental issues. Here is what I do think. Nascar drivers train on video games, as do NFL players, soccer players, etc. For those predisposed or on the fringe, I earnestly believe that video games can contribute if for nothing else than fantasy and "practice".

None of my comments are an "attack" on society (or gamers). I do think morality has declined, I do think intestinal fortitude (on the average) has declined. But, even if neither is true, when you look at the perpetrators, I listed things that I believe are contributing factors.

When you look at the perpetrators, I believe there are only two significant factors: 1) mental illness, and 2) access to firearms.

If you want to blame video games, you also need to blame music, tv, movies, and pretty much every other form of entertainment. That is not a tenable position.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next