Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B1G presidents & chancellors statement on 4 yr scholarships

+10
Herbie Green
CrazySparty
Rodeo Burger
steveschneider
RBW Spartan
Turtleneck
Jethro Bodeen
dubie7006
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Picture Re: B1G presidents & chancellors statement on 4 yr scholarships

Post by Herbie Green 2014-06-25, 10:04

MSU addict wrote:It will be a weird world if former athletes who simply gave up the sport no longer count against scholarship limits. Given the opportunity every college football coach would love the opportunity to replace a player that just didn't pan out. The money is there when it comes to football and basketball for any major program. They may need to lower the 25/year limit.

I dont see how they could control the limits. Suppose Marcus Taylor decides to come back to school when he is 30 but the team is out of scholarships.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-06-25, 11:24

On further thought it makes sense that the scholarships would essentially become academic scholarships after the 4 year continuous sports scholarship has expired.
A pretty good deal to offer a high school kid to promise to pay for their entire education regardless of what happens. And I cant say I really have a problem with that.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-25, 12:28

Ass Dan wrote:

This isn't true.  The Athletic department pays the tuition of each Student athlete on scholarship, that can total up to around $80,000 over the course of a four year degree.  That's not negligible.

That's because it's covering the cost of books, clothing, insurance, room&board. Not to mention, the 80K is for out of state, which the U required the AD to pay.

I'm saying that the school allows free classes (not books, room&board, or any other fringe benefits); the cost for an extra student in a classroom is almost negligible.

Moreover, we're talking realistically 1-2 kids a year this impacts. Makes too much sense not to allow it.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2