Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme

+7
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Space Coyote
11 posters

Go down

Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme Empty Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme

Post by Space Coyote 2018-09-19, 08:52

Haven't been able to find a replay of the game, so working a bit off of recollection here:

MSU's punt protection scheme seemed very odd to me, something I hadn't seen before. It utilized shield punting splits on the OL (1-2 yards between blockers), but only utilized one punt protector instead of a shield. To overcome the fact that you get outnumbered inside with this look, they wedge blocked instead of what you typically do on punt protection: fan block (block out); and typically wedge blocking on special teams, unless you are in tight alignment like on a FG unit, is very difficult.

On the punt that was blocked, this allowed a punt return team player to get a free run straight at Bachie, who was the personal protector. But this is a bad matchup. The shield traditionally has OL, because they are bigger and won't get knocked back. And while Bachie is big, having a safety/LB running full speed at a stationary target will typically see that protector get knocked back.

I know there are a lot of folks that aren't a fan of Snyder. Wondering if anyone has a replay of that or wanted a more technical discussion on it, because it wasn't a protection scheme I'd seen used on punt before.
Space Coyote
Space Coyote
Perioikos

http://breakdownsport.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme Empty Re: Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme

Post by steveschneider 2018-09-19, 10:05

Hoping we clean it up this Saturday.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme Empty Re: Michigan State Punt Protection Scheme

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-09-19, 10:26

Fuck punting. All touchdowns all night.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-09-19, 10:48

Snyder is winning big at FSU. Not sure who is now the ST coach for us.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2018-09-19, 12:59

tGreenWay wrote:Snyder is winning big at FSU. Not sure who is now the ST coach for us.

Treadwell is.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-19, 13:22

"No, not the college debut I expected." — MSU's Rocky Lombardi
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-09-19, 15:07

Death Roe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Snyder is winning big at FSU. Not sure who is now the ST coach for us.

Treadwell is.

Thanks. That had to be a weird return. From OC to ST coach.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-09-19, 15:13

Can Warner go to ST and Treadwell to OC?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-09-20, 07:39

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Fuck punting. All touchdowns all night.

genius - lets do this
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-09-20, 08:28

I'll be honest, I was at a wedding, didn't watch the game but tapped it. I haven't had the heart to look at it yet. Now that I've read this, it's peaked my interest.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-09-20, 11:02

Seems they took down the full game video. Anyway, here it is. 

https://youtu.be/TVk5hVAR17A?t=8m44s
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-09-20, 11:23

I did rewatch some of the game and I'll tell you this. I'm not really sure how we managed to lose. Honestly you guys know me and I'm not a guy who scapegoats the easy target but to me we were out-coached in that game. Our game plan of running between the tackles was working early and for some reason we went away from it. In addition, we could not come up with a plan to stop Wren, and it turns out the plan was as simple as putting Matt Allen in the game for Higby at Center. In addition, we did not adjust our snap counts or try any hard counts to draw him offsides. 

And I hate to contradict the man, but I absolutely think the heat and the time change bothered us. So many mental mistakes late in that game. Bad snap, Lewerke mishandling a snap, Guys losing contain a couple of times. The aforementioned blocked punt. Those things don't happen if the team is playing at noon or 3:30 in East Lansing. 

Let's see how things go this week.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-09-20, 12:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I did rewatch some of the game and I'll tell you this. I'm not really sure how we managed to lose. Honestly you guys know me and I'm not a guy who scapegoats the easy target but to me we were out-coached in that game. Our game plan of running between the tackles was working early and for some reason we went away from it. In addition, we could not come up with a plan to stop Wren, and it turns out the plan was as simple as putting Matt Allen in the game for Higby at Center. In addition, we did not adjust our snap counts or try any hard counts to draw him offsides. 

And I hate to contradict the man, but I absolutely think the heat and the time change bothered us. So many mental mistakes late in that game. Bad snap, Lewerke mishandling a snap, Guys losing contain a couple of times. The aforementioned blocked punt. Those things don't happen if the team is playing at noon or 3:30 in East Lansing. 

Let's see how things go this week.

Next year we beat ASU by 3 touchdowns.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-09-20, 13:23

Agree, if Bachie and BL are back. 

We need some DE help. Where is it going to come from? Our staff should be out hunting JuCos or grad transfers during the bye week.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-09-22, 22:59

How was punt things today I missed much of the game.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2018-09-23, 00:06

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:How was punt things today I missed much of the game.

Not that bad
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-09-23, 01:11

Death Roe wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:How was punt things today I missed much of the game.

Not that bad

That’s great
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down