Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC?

+14
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
steveschneider
MSU addict
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC? - Page 2 Empty Re: Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC?

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-11, 15:17

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
On the contrary, I think that 99 team shows the trouble that he had recruiting at MSU.  He wasn't exactly beating UM, OSU, and ND for those kids.  The team was built with a lot of questionable kids, like we would often end up with in those days, that managed to keep their shit together for a few months.  Some very key players probably wouldn't even be allowed at MSU today (i.e., didn't we stop taking Prop 48 kids?...can't remember if that's a school policy or a Dantonio policy), and some others that we wouldn't want at MSU today.

Can't really speak to the Prop 48 kids, I barely follow recruiting now and it never even crossed my mind back then. Looking back through Saban's career from what I know now he recruited some of the all time great Spartans: Andre Rison, Plaxico, Jim Miller, Tony Banks, Ingram, Percy Snow, Duckett, Adrian Peterson...I'm sure there's so many more to add to that list I just don't know who recruited what players back then.

I do think Saban could beat UofM today for recruits. The climate is so different now in the State. Head to head vs OSU or ND for a recruit I have no idea what would happen but I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate the GOAT would be in the mix for some of those recruits in 2018. I think there's merit to both sides of the argument. I do think 2018 Nick Saban would lose out on some recruits to OSU and ND and perhaps even Michigan but I do think he'd would be winning more of those recruiting battles now that he's established himself as the GOAT.
I don't know one way or another how many of those other guys from the Perles era Saban should get credit for. Tony Banks came before Saban, and MSU had a leg up on everyone with TJ Duckett because of his brother.

I don't/didn't follow recruiting that closely, but I remember Plax was a Prop 48. I wonder if BooBoo and/or Underwood were, but maybe just because I remember them as nutcases later on. But we would recruit Prop 48 and other kids that the big boys would pass on, because that's the only way we could get talent. That's what I mean by the trouble that he had recruiting at MSU. Not that he's a bad recruiter.

FWIW, I agree that he could out recruit UM and ND now, and hold his own against OSU. And not just because things have changed. I'm in the camp that his "brand name" would bring lots of kids would to come play for the guy who is the best in the game (and one of the best ever).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC? - Page 2 Empty Re: Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC?

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 15:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Can't really speak to the Prop 48 kids, I barely follow recruiting now and it never even crossed my mind back then. Looking back through Saban's career from what I know now he recruited some of the all time great Spartans: Andre Rison, Plaxico, Jim Miller, Tony Banks, Ingram, Percy Snow, Duckett, Adrian Peterson...I'm sure there's so many more to add to that list I just don't know who recruited what players back then.

I do think Saban could beat UofM today for recruits. The climate is so different now in the State. Head to head vs OSU or ND for a recruit I have no idea what would happen but I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate the GOAT would be in the mix for some of those recruits in 2018. I think there's merit to both sides of the argument. I do think 2018 Nick Saban would lose out on some recruits to OSU and ND and perhaps even Michigan but I do think he'd would be winning more of those recruiting battles now that he's established himself as the GOAT.
I don't know one way or another how many of those other guys from the Perles era Saban should get credit for. Tony Banks came before Saban, and MSU had a leg up on everyone with TJ Duckett because of his brother.

I don't/didn't follow recruiting that closely, but I remember Plax was a Prop 48. I wonder if BooBoo and/or Underwood were, but maybe just because I remember them as nutcases later on. But we would recruit Prop 48 and other kids that the big boys would pass on, because that's the only way we could get talent. That's what I mean by the trouble that he had recruiting at MSU. Not that he's a bad recruiter.

FWIW, I agree that he could out recruit UM and ND now, and hold his own against OSU. And not just because things have changed. I'm in the camp that his "brand name" would bring lots of kids would to come play for the guy who is the best in the game (and one of the best ever).

Yeah, I'm going off memory and I obviously fudged the Banks one. Forgot he came over on Perles' last season. I thought I read an article about Saban's history at MSU and it went over those guys he brought in for the 88 Rosebowl Team. I'm pretty sure a lot of the stand out players on that team were all him.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-10-11, 16:34

Somebody should call the Bama football office and ask to speak w/Saban to get a direct answer, and by somebody, I mean not me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-11, 16:41

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Nope. We are still in Michigan. We don't have the local recruiting base the southern schools do. Our ceiling is Dantonio. Enjoy it. Our floor is much much lower.
This thread has nothing to do with Saban and is actually about this, right? Like that’s really what we’re trying to get at here?

I think Saban would probably win a national title no matter what school he decided to go to if he left, but especially any perennially top 25 school. Someone said nothing about recruiting has changed since he left but that’s very wrong. What’s changed is it’s going from “I’m Nick Saban who thinks he’s subservient to Lloyd Carr” to “I’m nick fuckin saban who is going to wreck your shit if you don’t just come to my school”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-10-11, 16:42

How could Saban win a title at a school he left, Travis? You don’t make any sense, as usual.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-11, 16:43

tGreenWay wrote:How could Saban win a title at a school he left, Travis? You don’t make any sense, as usual.  
Slow down greenway. You can do better.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-10-11, 16:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Nope. We are still in Michigan. We don't have the local recruiting base the southern schools do. Our ceiling is Dantonio. Enjoy it. Our floor is much much lower.
This thread has nothing to do with Saban and is actually about this, right? Like that’s really what we’re trying to get at here?

I think Saban would probably win a national title no matter what school he decided to go to if he left, but especially any perennially top 25 school. Someone said nothing about recruiting has changed since he left but that’s very wrong. What’s changed is it’s going from “I’m Nick Saban who thinks he’s subservient to Lloyd Carr” to “I’m nick fuckin saban who is going to wreck your shit if you don’t just come to my school”

Travis isn't completely stupid here.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-11, 16:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Travis isn't completely stupid here.
No, not completely.....for a change
Wink
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-10-11, 17:09

Too many big words, T?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 17:13

Team Travis on this one.

Also, lets be real would Nick Saban tolerate some of the bone headed calls Warner has made this year? No f'n way. He'd be up in his grill after that 4th qtr drive deep in our end zone vs NW.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 17:16

Next question, could Coach K come to MSU and win a National Championship?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-11, 17:21

Gazpacho
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-10-11, 17:22

I think the question is could k win a championship at army
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 17:53

aualum06 wrote:I think the question is could k win a championship at army

Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC? - Page 2 1966794946
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-10-11, 18:04

We'd win the off season NC. I'll guarantee that.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-11, 18:07

Y'all ignore my weather theory as it relates to recruiting.

Fine.

FUCK EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS. SUCK MY FUCKING DICK.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-10-11, 18:08

We won the off season Big ten ship this year in football. That was nice.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 18:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Y'all ignore my weather theory as it relates to recruiting.

Fine.

I saw it, not sure I buy it. Anyone serious about football realizes if they are going to play pro they could get drafted by a team that plays up in the north and have to play in the snow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-10-11, 18:46

Lloyd Carr used to bring a film with him to recruits houses down south. It was Green Bay. He would tell kids, the NFL knows you can play in warm weather, they want to know if you can play in this.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 18:51

DWags wrote:Lloyd Carr used to bring a film with him to recruits houses down south. It was Green Bay. He would tell kids, the NFL knows you can play in warm weather, they want to know if you can play in this.

Dwags what recruits did Saban bring in for the 88 Rose Bowl team?

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 18:53

Found this -

During that stay in East Lansing, Saban proved an able recruiter by bringing to Michigan State such players as Percy Snow, Travis Davis and Tony Mandarich.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/12/04/sports/football-michigan-state-names-coach.html
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-11, 18:58

https://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2013/05/andre_rison_reflects_on_nick_s.html

Looks like Saban landed Rison, he almost went to Michigan and Saban got out in front of that and got him in the Green.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-11, 19:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Y'all ignore my weather theory as it relates to recruiting.

Fine.

Whoa.

I’m going to be honest bob I expected this kind of outburst from you one day but “football recruiting strategies” as the subject of the outburst was way way down the list
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-10-11, 20:11

Bob. Could Saban come back to MSU and win a NC? - Page 2 1966794946
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-10-11, 20:16

Rock on, Bobby. You know what tomorrow is!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2