Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

+11
duffy munn
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Rocinante
NigelUno
I.B. Fine
kingstonlake
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... Empty Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

Post by kingstonlake Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Ladies and gentleman, I submit to you.....

CCR (John Fogerty)       Fortunate Son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Centerfield

Last edited by kingstonlake on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... Empty Re: Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

Post by kingstonlake Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm

If anyone puts anything from David Bowie in this thread I will find you and yell at you!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... Empty Re: Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

Post by I.B. Fine Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Did somebody pee in your Cheerios?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Classic.

Commercial tripe for the simple minded.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Classic:

Commercial Garbage:

Wait. I may have flipped those.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:00 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Classic.

Obsession.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust ----the Apex
David Bowie Dancing in the Streets ---- the low point
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Great Song!

What the fuck is this.

did you miss Al B. Sure?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Steve and Roc. We'll be talking.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Oasis 90's albums

Oasis 00's albums
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm

kingstonlake wrote:Steve and Roc. We'll be talking.....

Five Years is such an amazing song. That whole album is perfect from the first chords to the last. Then the 80's came along. Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 pm

kingstonlake wrote:If anyone puts anything from David Bowie in this thread I will find you and yell at you!

So, you start a thread and Immediately say you’re unwilling to accept someone else’s truth.
THIS IS A POLL OF LIES!!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Classic.

Can you post the classic version of your Classic choice, instead of the Remastered 2009 version?

Thanks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:02 pm

steveschneider wrote:Oasis 90's albums

Oasis 00's albums

Don't Believe the Truth was mostly okay.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 pm

I'll play:
Journey
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:I'll play:
Journey

It was all commercial garbage.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Elton John in his prime was a great show, but then he went 80s pop ballads and it was clear he’d lost it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Elton John in his prime was a great show, but then he went 80s pop ballads and it was clear he’d lost it.

Philadelphia Freedom was the beginning of the end.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Elton John in his prime was a great show, but then he went 80s pop ballads and it was clear he’d lost it.

Philadelphia Freedom was the beginning of the end.

That’s a pretty fair assessment. Well, that and Don’t go breaking my heart. Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... 1401550746
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Stones exile vs. some girls.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:19 pm

DWags wrote:Stones exile vs. some girls.

I'm saying the latter was in the same class, but it does have some great songs.

How many songs can rock like Lies?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm

steveschneider wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Steve and Roc. We'll be talking.....

Five Years is such an amazing song. That whole album is perfect from the first chords to the last. Then the 80's came along. Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

But then the 90s rolled in....

]

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:Stones exile vs. some girls.

Some girls = disco stones. I’ve softened over time, but couldn’t stand my friends blasting Shattered or respectable from the first fucking stones album they ever bought.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:36 pm

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Some girls = disco stones. I’ve softened over time, but couldn’t stand my friends blasting Shattered or respectable from the first fucking stones album they ever bought.

I'm a big fan of Some Girls. Especially the title track. Now Tattoo You is a completely different story.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Some girls = disco stones.  I’ve softened over time, but couldn’t stand my friends blasting   Shattered or respectable from the first fucking stones album they ever bought.

I always liked "Before they make me Run" off that album.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:31 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Some girls = disco stones.  I’ve softened over time, but couldn’t stand my friends blasting   Shattered or respectable from the first fucking stones album they ever bought.

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Keith's best song. Also love Far Away Eyes and Miss You.

I get why Dwags didn't like this album in 1978. It did make Stones fans out of people that never listened before but it's a really good album.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I was a huge fan of that album.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 pm

duffy munn wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I get why Dwags didn't like this album in 1978. It did make Stones fans out of people that never listened before but it's a really good album.
One of Keef's best lines described many people about then...... 

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 am

Classic.

Whatever this bullshit is.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:36 am

Metallica - Anything prior to the Black album

Metallica - Anything from the Black album, Load and Reload
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 am

TheReal_LWS wrote:Metallica - Anything prior to the Black album

Metallica - Anything from the Black album, Load and Reload

The Black album was fine. They changed their sound but it's still a fucking solid album. After that they went to shit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Classic.

The bullshit in this post is calling "Billy Jean" rock and roll.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

]

I have some respect for the Tin Machine phase. At least it was a sound and he was actually trying to do something. During most of the 80s he just sucked. Thank god he came back.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Classic.

Yeah, I don't care what you think. Sorry. Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... 2809484752
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:24 am

Rocinante wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

]

I have some respect for the Tin Machine phase. At least it was a sound and he was actually trying to do something. During most of the 80s he just sucked. Thank god he came back.

Shocking.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:34 am

Rocinante wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

]

Yep. I enjoy his last album but the 70s are off the charts. He was cranking out five star albums one after the other.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yeah, I don't care what you think. Sorry. Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... 2809484752

You keep rocking to that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am

Anyone a fan of Genesis?
Talk about extremes, Lamb Lies Down to Invisible Touch.

Jimmy Buffet White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean to Cheese Burger in Paradise.

Fleetwood Mac was 3 different bands, so hard to really compare, but the Peter Green version was a blues band, Bob Welch version was Bare Trees era, then Buckingham Nicks and .... pop goes the weasels.

Can't really blame any of these guys/girls, I like money, too. Just goes to show, the mass public prefers to spend money on crap music.

Last edited by I.B. Fine on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:43 am

duffy munn wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

LooseGoose wrote:

Seriously, I've softened on it, maybe because now it's a "classic", but when I first heard it, I hated it. Here's an article which takes in old criticisms of it, that maybe I felt like at the time.

Maybe it was me not liking the fact that many of my friends picked this album up and finally became a stones fan, when they could have been playing exile full blast for 6 years. I don't know. It's good and it's bad I guess. Like some of the songs, but some, to me just suck. I mean do you realize how many people became stones fans on "Miss you"? Jesus But before you read a review of some girls, here's an explanation of why exile is so damn good.

"Exile found the Stones finally becoming that which they'd always wanted to be, that which they'd always worshipped: existential bluesmen crafting art-for-art's-sake out of nothing more than desperate necessity. For all of their country flirtations in this period the band was always, at its core, a group of rhythm and blues musicians. And during the recording of Exile on Main Street they became, for a small meaningful moment, the greatest R&B band in the world. If this sounds hyperbolic, listen to the uptown din of "All Down the Line," with its raucous out-chorus ("won't you be my little baby / for a while"--the Ronettes with a time limit) and soaring horn lines. Or the heart-stopping ferocity of "Happy," Keith Richards' autobiography distilled into three minutes. Or the glorious, lusty grandeur of "Tumbling Dice," simply the finest soul tune Jagger and Richards (or damn near anyone else) ever wrote and arguably Charlie Watts' finest hour."

https://www.popmatters.com/151478-rolling-stones-some-girls-deluxe-edition-2495916961.html

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am

DWags wrote:
Seriously, I've softened on it, maybe because now it's a "classic", but when I first heard it, I hated it.   Here's an article which takes in old criticisms of it, that maybe I felt like at the time.

Maybe it was me not liking the fact that many of my friends picked this album up and finally became a stones fan, when they could have been playing exile full blast for 6 years.    I don't know.   It's good and it's bad I guess.  Like some of the songs, but some, to me just suck.  I mean do you realize how many people became stones fans on "Miss you"?   Jesus    But before you read a review of some girls, here's an explanation of why exile is so damn good.  

"Exile found the Stones finally becoming that which they'd always wanted to be, that which they'd always worshipped: existential bluesmen crafting art-for-art's-sake out of nothing more than desperate necessity. For all of their country flirtations in this period the band was always, at its core, a group of rhythm and blues musicians. And during the recording of Exile on Main Street they became, for a small meaningful moment, the greatest R&B band in the world. If this sounds hyperbolic, listen to the uptown din of "All Down the Line," with its raucous out-chorus ("won't you be my little baby / for a while"--the Ronettes with a time limit) and soaring horn lines. Or the heart-stopping ferocity of "Happy," Keith Richards' autobiography distilled into three minutes. Or the glorious, lusty grandeur of "Tumbling Dice," simply the finest soul tune Jagger and Richards (or damn near anyone else) ever wrote and arguably Charlie Watts' finest hour."

https://www.popmatters.com/151478-rolling-stones-some-girls-deluxe-edition-2495916961.html

Exile on Main Street may be the quintessential rock album of all time IMHO
The disparity between that and Some Girls is what makes Some Girls seem so shitty, and I hated it when I first heard it (Stones doing disco?!) though in hindsight it's a decent album, just can't hold a candle to EOMS
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next