Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

+11
duffy munn
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Rocinante
NigelUno
I.B. Fine
kingstonlake
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

Post by Rocinante Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 10:49

I.B. Fine wrote:Anyone a fan of Genesis?
Talk about extremes, Lamb Lies Down to Invisible Touch.

Jimmy Buffet White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean to Cheese Burger in Paradise.

Fleetwood Mac was 3 different bands, so hard to really compare, but the Peter Green version was a blues band, Bob Welch version was Bare Trees era, then Buckingham Nicks and Pop goes the weasels.

Can't really blame any of these guys/girls, I like money, too. Just goes to show, the mass public prefers to spend money on crap music.

Well, Genesis was two bands too. Gabriel vs. Collins. Both had their good and bad. I appreciated the Genesis of the 80's incorporation of synth and heavy base. It was pretty groundbreaking for a rock band.

Peter Green was a god. If you ever get the chance see Man of the World - The Peter Green Story. It's great to relive his rise and fall in his own words. He doesn't seem bitter at all. And according to him, he's not medicated to the gills anymore.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist... - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest disparity in a Rock and Roll classic song and commercial garbage by the same artist...

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 10:52

Rocinante wrote:
Well, Genesis was two bands too. Gabriel vs. Collins. Both had their good and bad. I appreciated the Genesis of the 80's incorporation of synth and heavy base. It was pretty groundbreaking for a rock band.

Peter Green was a god. If you ever get the chance see Man of the World - The Peter Green Story. It's great to relive his rise and fall in his own words. He doesn't seem bitter at all. And according to him, he's not medicated to the gills anymore.

You're absolutely correct about Genesis. Perhaps I should have compared, Trick of the Tail to the later Phil Collins dreck.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:02

Jimmy Buffet White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean to Cheese Burger in Paradise.

Fleetwood Mac was 3 different bands, so hard to really compare, but the Peter Green version was a blues band, Bob Welch version was Bare Trees era, then Buckingham Nicks and .... pop goes the weasels.

Can't really blame any of these guys/girls, I like money, too. Just goes to show, the mass public prefers to spend money on crap music.

I learned something yesterday that shocked me....I've always considered myself a rock trivia buff and couldn't believe I didn't know that the Peter Green version of Mac did this song before Santana/Gregg Rolie had the huge hit with it. I'd always thought it was a Santana original.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:04

LooseGoose wrote:

Fleetwood Mac was 3 different bands, so hard to really compare, but the Peter Green version was a blues band, Bob Welch version was Bare Trees era, then Buckingham Nicks and .... pop goes the weasels.

I learned something yesterday that shocked me....I've always considered myself a rock trivia buff and couldn't believe I didn't know that the Peter Green version of Mac did this song before Santana/Gregg Rolie had the huge hit with it. I'd always thought it was a Santana original.

I thought the same thing and I probably learned the truth in the early 2000s and I was surprised as well. It's really good too!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:05

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Wink

I was always fond of Green Manalishi
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:33

Bruce Sucksteen -

Born To Run

vs

Dancing in the Dark
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:40

TheReal_LWS wrote:Bruce Sucksteen -

Born To Run

vs

Dancing in the Dark
I would offer a different opinion, Bruce started out as a great rock and roll musician, met with success and became an 'artist' putting out painful to listen to music that was eaten up by the music 'critics' for it's sensitivity.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 11:44

I.B. Fine wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:Bruce Sucksteen -

Born To Run

vs

Dancing in the Dark
I would offer a different opinion, Bruce started out as a great rock and roll musician, met with success and became an 'artist' putting out painful to listen to music that was eaten up by the music 'critics' for it's sensitivity.

Boy is Bob going to be so mad at the two of you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 12:37

LooseGoose wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Boy is Bob going to be so mad at the two of you.
I don't mind people who have opinions.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 13:27

Pink Floyd

Vs

Pink Floyd post Roger Waters
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 13:28

Shout at the Devil.
v.
Dr Feelgood (or whatever....)

Van Halen
v.
DLR solo crap.

All you can Eat
v.
Beach Boys Rap
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 13:30

steveschneider wrote:Pink Floyd

Vs

They existed post Waters?

jk
How about the Syd Barrett era?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 13:32

I.B. Fine wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Pink Floyd

Vs

They existed post Waters?

jk
How about the Syd Barrett era?

I dig the all of the pre dsotm Floyd albums including the Syd contributions. Amazing band.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 14:50

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Van Halen
v.
Van Hagar

FIFY
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 15:26

TheReal_LWS wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Van Halen
v.
Van Hagar

FIFY

I can't believe it but there's actually a few Hagar tunes I've finally warmed up to. Took me like 30 years but I don't want to vomit anymore when I hear his numbers. Usually after 10 minutes of Hagar I always just revert back to Dave. I also found Dave's solo album with Yankee Rose on vinyl for 3.00 this summer. I forgot how good some of that one is.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 15:43

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

FIFY

I can't believe it but there's actually a few Hagar tunes I've finally warmed up to. Took me like 30 years but I don't want to vomit anymore when I hear his numbers. Usually after 10 minutes of Hagar I always just revert back to Dave. I also found Dave's solo album with Yankee Rose on vinyl for 3.00 this summer. I forgot how good some of that one is.

yeah, Eat Em and Smile was legit. That was more VH than Van Hagar!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 16:07

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

FIFY

I like the Van Hagar material, but then again I've been a Sammy fan since the Montrose album(still one of the best debut albums ever) so I'm biased.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 16:13

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I like the Van Hagar material, but then again I've been a Sammy fan since the Montrose album(still one of the best debut albums ever) so I'm biased.

I haven't listened to Montrose in so long. I'll have to throw some on. Thanks for the mention!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 16:30

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I haven't listened to Montrose in so long. I'll have to throw some on. Thanks for the mention!

Good lord...released 10/17/73 so over 45 years ago.   I still remember hearing it the 1st time.  6 of the 8 tracks are great songs....at least for me.  But the opening track remains my favorite:

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 17:10

Just couldn't get into this duet.......

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 2 Nov 2018 - 17:21

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Good lord...released 10/17/73 so over 45 years ago.   I still remember hearing it the 1st time.  6 of the 8 tracks are great songs....at least for me.  But the opening track remains my favorite:

So good. Listened to it 2x
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2