Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"...

+7
Travis of the Cosmos
Dr. Strangelove
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... Empty Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"...

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 08:16

good for this kid.

of course, they accuse the 11 year old of "making a disturbance"... Rolling Eyes

A Florida school district said that a student who refused to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance was arrested for becoming disruptive, not for refusing to say the pledge.

On February 4, the student at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland refused to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance, according to the Polk County School District and Lakeland police.

A substitute teacher in charge of the class was unaware the district student code of conduct doesn't mandate students' participation, the district said.

The substitute teacher said in written statement that when she asked the student, who is black, to say the pledge, he "answered that he won't because the flag of the country is racist. He then started to explain why the national anthem was offensive to black people."

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... Empty Re: Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"...

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 08:20

at least the school district got rid of the substitute teacher.

The substitute teacher who was involved in the incident was asked to leave the campus immediately, after giving a written statement, the district said. She will no longer be allowed to work district schools, according to the district.

good on them for that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... Empty Re: Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"...

Post by DWags 2019-02-19, 08:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:at least the school district got rid of the substitute teacher.

The substitute teacher who was involved in the incident was asked to leave the campus immediately, after giving a written statement, the district said. She will no longer be allowed to work district schools, according to the district.

good on them for that.

Over under when she appears on fox and friends wearing an American flag pin. 2 days.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 08:29

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:at least the school district got rid of the substitute teacher.

good on them for that.

Over under when she appears on fox and friends wearing an American flag pin. 2 days.
Yep.

America is a stupid country.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 08:52

Allow me to play Devil's advocate. How does an 11 year old know or think the pledge of allegiance is racist? I'm not interested in why we as adults think it is or isn't. I'm talking about the kid. Same with the kid taking a knee at at the cub scout thing. Man my sixth grader is going to be playing with her friends. In sixth grade all I wanted to do was play baseball and skate board. Not be told what to think about race by my parents, school, TV, the web, etc. There's no way an 11 year old makes that stance without being coached or told the pledge of allegiance is racist. Honestly, I feel bad the kid can't just be a kid. Merica.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-19, 08:58

kingstonlake wrote:Allow me to play Devil's advocate. How does an 11 year old know or think the pledge of allegiance is racist? I'm not interested in why we as adults think it is or isn't. I'm talking about the kid. Same with the kid taking a knee at at the cub scout thing. Man my sixth grader is going to be playing with her friends. In sixth grade all I wanted to do was play baseball and skate board. Not be told what to think about race by my parents, school, TV, the web, etc. There's no way an 11 year old makes that stance without being coached or told the pledge of allegiance is racist. Honestly, I feel bad the kid can't just be a kid. Merica.

Just like your parents indoctrinated you. From you standing to say the pledge at school, to you standing to sing the anthem, or at least pretend to sing it at games. You still stand for the anthem. When I took my kid to games, they stood because we made them stand when they were 5 and 6 years old. We were indoctrinating them to be "good americans" and believe in what the anthem is about. We told them to do so, and frankly they were doing it without thinking and blindly doing it. So, I guess I asking what's the difference?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 09:16

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Allow me to play Devil's advocate. How does an 11 year old know or think the pledge of allegiance is racist? I'm not interested in why we as adults think it is or isn't. I'm talking about the kid. Same with the kid taking a knee at at the cub scout thing. Man my sixth grader is going to be playing with her friends. In sixth grade all I wanted to do was play baseball and skate board. Not be told what to think about race by my parents, school, TV, the web, etc. There's no way an 11 year old makes that stance without being coached or told the pledge of allegiance is racist. Honestly, I feel bad the kid can't just be a kid. Merica.

Just like your parents indoctrinated you. From you standing to say the pledge at school, to you standing to sing the anthem, or at least pretend to sing it at games. You still stand for the anthem. When I took my kid to games, they stood because we made them stand when they were 5 and 6 years old. We were indoctrinating them to be "good americans" and believe in what the anthem is about. We told them to do so, and frankly they were doing it without thinking and blindly doing it. So, I guess I asking what's the difference?

To me the difference is I stood for the pledge or anthem because is was procedural. It's what you did. More or less out of respect. It's what you did. Kinda like you stand in line for lunch, you don't all rush the counter at once. My point is at 11 years old I hadn't formed an opinion on the pledge being racist, homophobic, religious, or anything else. If I walked out of the class and refused to participate on the day they told us about MLK, it wouldn't be because I made my own mind up it would be more than likely because I was told by my parents he was an N word and a POS and don't participate. I go back to me as an 11 year old. All I wanted to do was skate board, play baseball, and think about Michelle Brawner lol. My brain wasn't developed enough to dissect the POA and decide it was racist. Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 09:29

kingstonlake wrote:Allow me to play Devil's advocate.  How does an 11 year old know or think the pledge of allegiance is racist?  I'm not interested in why we as adults think it is or isn't.  I'm talking about the kid.  Same with the kid taking a knee at at the cub scout thing.  Man my sixth grader is going to be playing with her friends.  In sixth grade all I wanted to do was play baseball and skate board.  Not be told what to think about race by my parents, school, TV, the web, etc.  There's no way an 11 year old makes that stance without being coached or told the pledge of allegiance is racist.  Honestly, I feel bad the kid can't just be a kid.  Merica.
True Story:

our daughter, when she was in middle school, decided to stop standing for and participating in the Pledge of Allegiance. I don't know how old she was.. however old kids are in probably 7th or 8th grade - she a) thought it was a weird thing to do in school, b) thinks that America inherently disenfranchises its most vulnerable citizens and c) exercised her First Amendment right not to participate.

she was the only kid for a while.. then she kept doing it all the way until she graduated from ELHS. She told me toward the end that by the time she got to high school, probably about 1/3 of the class would stay seated.

not that she's a Rosa Parks-type.. 'cause she's not. But I thought it was cool of her to engage in independent, informed thought. She told me once she only had one teacher who asserted himself into why she chose not to participate. He asked her to stay after class because he wanted to talk to her about it - (Full Disclosure: he's a good dude... but kind of embodies the football coach (no offense DWags) toxic masculinity persona) - she articulated her reasons to him and he was cool with it. He even told my wife and I during parent teacher conferences that he admired her ability to explain herself to him.

anyway - the whole thing is silly. Trying to indoctrinate kids via faux patriotism. That's the thing that stands out to me the most (absent the racism, bigotry, etc. that America stands for).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 09:31

oh - and kids grow up in different homes with different experiences.

that's why.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-19, 09:35

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 09:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Allow me to play Devil's advocate.  How does an 11 year old know or think the pledge of allegiance is racist?  I'm not interested in why we as adults think it is or isn't.  I'm talking about the kid.  Same with the kid taking a knee at at the cub scout thing.  Man my sixth grader is going to be playing with her friends.  In sixth grade all I wanted to do was play baseball and skate board.  Not be told what to think about race by my parents, school, TV, the web, etc.  There's no way an 11 year old makes that stance without being coached or told the pledge of allegiance is racist.  Honestly, I feel bad the kid can't just be a kid.  Merica.
True Story:

our daughter, when she was in middle school, decided to stop standing for and participating in the Pledge of Allegiance. I don't know how old she was.. however old kids are in probably 7th or 8th grade - she a) thought it was a weird thing to do in school, b) thinks that America inherently disenfranchises its most vulnerable citizens and c) exercised her First Amendment right not to participate.

she was the only kid for a while.. then she kept doing it all the way until she graduated from ELHS. She told me toward the end that by the time she got to high school, probably about 1/3 of the class would stay seated.

not that she's a Rosa Parks-type.. 'cause she's not. But I thought it was cool of her to engage in independent, informed thought. She told me once she only had one teacher who asserted himself into why she chose not to participate. He asked her to stay after class because he wanted to talk to her about it - (Full Disclosure: he's a good dude... but kind of embodies the football coach (no offense DWags) toxic masculinity persona) - she articulated her reasons to him and he was cool with it. He even told my wife and I during parent teacher conferences that he admired her ability to explain herself to him.

anyway - the whole thing is silly. Trying to indoctrinate kids via faux patriotism. That's the thing that stands out to me the most (absent the racism, bigotry, etc. that America stands for).

If I had to guess I'd say A) was her most honest feelings. I'm guessing B) and C) were feelings she's developed as she got older and more understanding of things in her life. We're all different and raise our kids how we see fit. I get that. I get it for you, that kid in FLA, and that cub scout kid. In my mind I see not one benefit to having a sixth grader decide the pledge of allegiance is racist. If he thinks that way through his own discovery, fine. I just doubt he figured it out at 11. Maybe he did, who knows. But I think it was a case of coaching over conscious thought. And I don't agree with that coaching anymore than I do beating it into a kids head that he must like girls and if he doesn't, he's wrong.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-02-19, 09:49

The same way an 11 year old knows how to bully other kids. Or to tell the brown kid to go back where he came from. Or which table he's allowed to sit at for lunch. You must have went to Shangri-la elementary where all children were always mindful, respectful, and inclusive of others.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-19, 09:56

Do most school districts stand for the pledge of allegiance? I remember doing it up until 3rd grade and then it wasn't a thing anymore. This would have been around 1983.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 09:57

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
True Story:

If I had to guess I'd say A) was her most honest feelings. I'm guessing B) and C) were feelings she's developed as she got older and more understanding of things in her life. We're all different and raise our kids how we see fit. I get that. I get it for you, that kid in FLA, and that cub scout kid. In my mind I see not one benefit to having a sixth grader decide the pledge of allegiance is racist. If he thinks that way through his own discovery, fine. I just doubt he figured it out at 11. Maybe he did, who knows. But I think it was a case of coaching over conscious thought. And I don't agree with that coaching anymore than I do beating it into a kids head that he must like girls and if he doesn't, he's wrong.
meh - I don't know enough about the 11 year old kid in Florida..

but if someone asked me about my vision for America and I was presented with a kid who thinks the pledge is a symbol of a racist America and participates in a silent protest or the rich white kid bigots at Covington Catholic wearing the MAGA hats at a "pro-life" rally... gimme the 11 year old kid any day of the week.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 09:58

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Do most school districts stand for the pledge of allegiance? I remember doing it up until 3rd grade and then it wasn't a thing anymore. This would have been around 1983.
it's a weird thing, isn't it?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 09:59

Heat Miser wrote:

The same way an 11 year old knows how to bully other kids. Or to tell the brown kid to go back where he came from. Or which table he's allowed to sit at for lunch. You must have went to Shangri-la elementary where all children were always mindful, respectful, and inclusive of others.
yep - whether it's Shangri-La Elementary or a black kid who has to be mindful not to put his hands in his pockets when the police drive by, kids are a product of their environment.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2019-02-19, 10:07

Stupid.

Little free thinking troublemaker and stupid move by school. The move is to make him sit in hall during Pledge.

In NC kids stand for Pledge every morning K-12
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-02-19, 10:09

Allow me to play devils devils advocate- If a kid can’t fathom why they shouldn’t stand up for the pledge of allegiance, then they conversely can’t fathom why they should and thus they just shouldn’t have a pledge of allegiance at all because like you said, they are just doing it because they are being told to so what’s the point at all, just skip it.

It is quite a silly thing if you think about it. Just skip it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 10:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Allow me to play devils devils advocate- If a kid can’t fathom why they shouldn’t stand up for the pledge of allegiance, then they conversely can’t fathom why they should and thus they just shouldn’t have a pledge of allegiance at all because like you said, they are just doing it because they are being told to so what’s the point at all, just skip it.

I don't remember the last time I've stood for the national anthem.

and I don't remember the last time I've even heard the pledge of allegiance.

it's just weird as hell.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-02-19, 10:12

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Stupid.

Little free thinking troublemaker and stupid move by school. The move is to make him sit in hall during Pledge.

In NC kids stand for Pledge every morning K-12

The "move" is to "let" him sit at his desk during the pledge per his constitutional rights.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-02-19, 10:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

it's just weird as hell.

I pledge all of my allegiances to your avatar every time I see it. It’s exhausting but it’s worth it because it makes God happy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-02-19, 10:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

it's just weird as hell.

Spartan football game.

And why sporting events but not concerts or other large gatherings of people? Seems arbitrary.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-19, 10:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
oh - and kids grow up in different homes with different experiences.

that's why.

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1966794946 i don’t git it!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 10:24

Heat Miser wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't remember the last time I've stood for the national anthem.

it's just weird as hell.

Spartan football game.

And why sporting events but not concerts or other large gatherings of people? Seems arbitrary.
I usually just sit there.. not out of a social justice silent protest or anything - just because faux patriotism is pathetic and doesn't belong at a football game, etc.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 10:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't remember the last time I've stood for the national anthem.

it's just weird as hell.

I pledge all of my allegiances to your avatar every time I see it. It’s exhausting but it’s worth it because it makes God happy.
and you will receive God's beautiful reward on judgement day.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 10:28

Heat Miser wrote:

Where do you think they learn that behavior?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-02-19, 10:31

Guys. It wasn’t about the pledge of allegiance to a flag that represents his ancestors being dragged to the country in chains. It was about him “causing a disturbance.” Kid has balls, wherever he got the information from, and now, they’ve proven everything he was thinking correct.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 10:40

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:oh - and kids grow up in different homes with different experiences.

that's why.

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1966794946 i don’t git it!

That makes one of us.

We're all different and raise our kids how we see fit. I get that. I get it for you, that kid in FLA, and that cub scout kid.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 10:40

Rocinante wrote:Guys. It wasn’t about the pledge of allegiance to a flag that represents his ancestors being dragged to the country in chains. It was about him “causing a disturbance.” Kid has balls, wherever he got the information from, and now, they’ve proven everything he was thinking correct.
indeed.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-02-19, 11:34

Teachers who need police to control a sixth grader should probably find a new line of work.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-19, 12:53

Cameron wrote:Teachers who need police to control a sixth grader should probably find a new line of work.
truth.

sounds like the district did the right thing and showed her the door.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-19, 12:55

Cameron wrote:Teachers who need police to control a sixth grader should probably find a new line of work.

Lol. You have no idea. This is the result of you being in a decent grade school growing up and a family that at least semi respected education.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-02-19, 13:06

DWags wrote:

Lol. You have no idea.  This is the result of you being in a decent grade school growing up and a family that at least semi respected education.  

You're right. One of my friends teaches HS in Lansing, and he has some stories. Even just mundane shit like kids calling him bro and refusing to put their phones away. You can't hit them, so what do you do?

I was thinking it should be easier to keep sixth graders in line, but that's probably ignorance on my part.

Having said that, it's clear to me that everything was not handled correctly here. Being that the substitute was asked to leave or whatever, the school district seems to agree.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-02-19, 13:09

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Lol. You have no idea.  This is the result of you being in a decent grade school growing up and a family that at least semi respected education.  

You're right. One of my friends teaches HS in Lansing, and he has some stories. Even just mundane shit like kids calling him bro and refusing to put their phones away. You can't hit them, so what do you do?

I was thinking it should be easier to keep sixth graders in line, but that's probably ignorance on my part.

Having said that, it's clear to me that everything was not handled correctly here. Being that the substitute was asked to leave or whatever, the school district seems to agree.

Well they are going to get sued and lose so I hope they’re ready to settle.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-19, 16:13

Ya know, if the teacher was armed..... They wouldn't have to call police....Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1550444538
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-02-19, 16:44

kingstonlake wrote:Ya know, if the teacher was armed..... They wouldn't have to call police....Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1550444538
It's Florida, I'm surprised they weren't.
Honestly, dropping my son off at school now feels like some type of detention center. Can only be dropped off at the front, we need to wait outside until the teacher gets him. It's weird. Not all the schools are like that, just some.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-19, 16:49

kingstonlake wrote:Ya know, if the teacher was armed..... They wouldn't have to call police....Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1550444538

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-19, 16:52

InTenSity wrote:
Honestly, dropping my son off at school now feels like some type of detention center. Can only be dropped off at the front, we need to wait outside until the teacher gets him. It's weird. Not all the schools are like that, just some.

So the teacher has to come outside to collect kids multiple times in the morning? That sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm assuming there is just a bunch of kids milling about with their parents until their respective teacher shows up to allow them in? How do school buses work?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-02-19, 17:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

So the teacher has to come outside to collect kids multiple times in the morning? That sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm assuming there is just a bunch of kids milling about with their parents until their respective teacher shows up to allow them in? How do school buses work?
This is only for the ESE kids. Special ed. The other kids enter through another entrance. I'm not good at long explanations.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-20, 09:44

here's the little patriot kid who is 7 and running a hot chocolate stand in hopes of raising money to keep out scary brown people.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link

here's a quote from his patriotic mom:

Mom, Jennifer, said she never encouraged her son to get political.

"They should be kids," said Jennifer. "I just happen to have very mature seven-year-old who wants to be involved in this. That's what he wants to do".

Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1966794946 Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1966794946 Sixth Grader Arrested For Refusing to Say the "Pledge of Allegiance"... 1966794946
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next