Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kyle Korver on Race

4 posters

Go down

Kyle Korver on Race Empty Kyle Korver on Race

Post by steveschneider 08/04/19, 12:09 pm

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kyle-korver-utah-jazz-nba

Pretty powerful read. Our society is going through a massive shift on so many things. Pretty interesting perspective on race.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Kyle Korver on Race Empty Re: Kyle Korver on Race

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 08/04/19, 12:29 pm

That's a good read. He explains some things really well, and also seems a lot more motivated than I am to try to affect change. The best I can do is pretty much calling out assholes who use the n word and voting. Unfortunately many will lose the message in reading the word "privilege" as they would like to think there is nothing of the sort. People just don't want to feel guilty for "being" (and yeah he addresses that, too, in a thoughtful way).

I think to sum the article up, if you agree with equality, and you're white in America, just "being" is not good enough anymore. If you're just "being" you're part of the problem. It is something we as white people have to come to grips with.

Thanks for posting steve.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 08/04/19, 12:43 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That's a good read. He explains some things really well, and also seems a lot more motivated than I am to try to affect change. The best I can do is pretty much calling out assholes who use the n word and voting. Unfortunately many will lose the message in reading the word "privilege" as they would like to think there is nothing of the sort. People just don't want to feel guilty for "being" (and yeah he addresses that, too, in a thoughtful way).

I think to sum the article up, if you agree with equality, and you're white in America, just "being" is not good enough anymore. If you're just "being" you're part of the problem. It is something we as white people have to come to grips with.

Thanks for posting steve.

You summed it up well. I had a very similar reaction to reading it. I guess I'd just add I have a new found respect for Korver after reading it. He's a good writer and was able to share something I gained from it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 09/04/19, 09:44 am

thanks for posting this - I had seen it referenced a little bit online but just now got around to reading it.

America needs more folks like Kyle Korver - those with a voice who aren't afraid of blow black from the very people Korver warns us of in this statement.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 07/05/24, 08:53 am

[tw]1266604941889634304[/tw]

This presents a very powerful message.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte