Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens..

+5
Heat Miser
Turtleneck
DWags
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
9 posters

Go down

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens.. Empty Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 9:50

a) sounds like the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's favorite country (other than Russia) is running smoothly.

and..

b) I look forward to our favorite christian "pro life" folks to be outraged by this.

Saudi Arabia reportedly beheaded 37 of its citizens on Tuesday, marking the largest number of executions in a single day since 2016. The Associated Press reports that the body and severed head of a convicted Sunni extremist was also pinned to a pole and displayed publicly as a warning to others.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens.. Empty Re: Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 9:52

oh - and here is a picture of our favorite pro-life christian accepting a Mr. T starter kit from the Saudi King - a bastion of morality who clearly values human life.

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens.. Ap_17140588396580medal-16961a4743332fcd9f277dce34d320fb69b58420-s1100-c15
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:03

Saudi Arabia is fucked up.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:15

Cameron wrote:Saudi Arabia is fucked up.
it is.

but they can afford to be.. because oil.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:Saudi Arabia is fucked up.
it is.

but they can afford to be.. because oil.

I've seen the royal family's net worth estimated at over a trillion dollars. Insanity.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:36

I don't see what could possibly go wrong with giving them nuclear technology.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:40

Might have been in the link, but among the 37 was a man arrested in 2012, then 17 years old, just before he departed Saudi Arabia to begin studying at WMU.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:44

Turtleneck wrote:Might have been in the link, but among the 37 was a man arrested in 2012, then 17 years old, just before he departed Saudi Arabia to begin studying at WMU.
yeah, I read that somewhere.. not sure if it was in the link I posted.

this is from the Freep.

A Saudi Arabian man who was arrested as a teenager as he was getting ready to fly to America to begin his studies at Western Michigan University was beheaded by the government Tuesday, according to a report from an official press agency.

Mujtaba al-Sweikat was 17 when he was detained at King Fahd International Airport in 2012. Earlier that year, Al-Sweikat allegedly attended a pro-democracy rally in the midst of the Arab Spring, which led to his arrest. He was intending to visit Western Michigan, where he had been accepted as a student, the university confirmed to the Free Press in 2017.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:52

Devil's advocate: the US executed 25 people in 2018. Where's our moral high ground? Quantity? Method? Severity of offense?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:54

Heat Miser wrote:Devil's advocate: the US executed 25 people in 2018. Where's our moral high ground? Quantity? Method? Severity of offense?

I would say all of the above, while noting that it's a very small high ground.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 10:58

I'd argue beheading, while certainly more gruesome, is more humane than lethal injection or electrocution.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 11:10

Heat Miser wrote:I'd argue beheading, while certainly more gruesome, is more humane than lethal injection or electrocution.

I don't know enough to disagree. It's the sort of thing one would hope we would have analyzed before instituting, but our criminal justice system is undeserving of the benefit of the doubt.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 11:34

Heat Miser wrote:Devil's advocate: the US executed 25 people in 2018. Where's our moral high ground? Quantity? Method? Severity of offense?
you may have noticed - I regularly mock the fine christian patriots in America and how they're anything but "pro life".

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 11:35

Heat Miser wrote:I'd argue beheading, while certainly more gruesome, is more humane than lethal injection or electrocution.
yep.

and lethal injection is designed to sanitize how the American government murders its own citizens.. they make it seem like the victim just kind of goes to sleep.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 13:09

Can we be against capital punishment, no matter the method or location on the planet? Thanks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 13:11

Rocinante wrote:Can we be against capital punishment, no matter the method or location on the planet? Thanks.
I'd like to ask you to take your moral consistency and show yourself to the door, mister. We ain't got time for that sort of thing around here.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 16:30

Rocinante wrote:Can we be against capital punishment, no matter the method or location on the planet? Thanks.

It's possible to oppose capital punishment while recognizing that some forms/instances are worse than others.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 18:04

Cameron wrote:

It's possible to oppose capital punishment while recognizing that some forms/instances are worse than others.

I... guess?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 20:13

Exactly right. Was thinking about this after reading the article this morning. Instant death. The American system inflicts great pain far too often. I’ve heard friends on the Right say good, it’s what they deserve. They’re too thick to understand why it’s a bad thing, and don’t care enough to learn.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 20:17

tGreenWay wrote:

Exactly right. Was thinking about this after reading the article this morning. Instant death. The American system inflicts great pain far too often. I’ve heard friends on the Right say good, it’s what they deserve. They’re too thick to understand why it’s a bad thing, and don’t care enough to learn.

Do we really know though? The decapitated might be conscious afterward for a few seconds.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 20:17

Cameron wrote:

Are you suggesting American forms of capital punishment aren’t as bad as other countries?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 20:21

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Do we really know though? The decapitated might be conscious afterward for a few seconds.

Still waiting for the Trip Advisor review of death.

But obviously, no we don’t. However, we do know lethal injections are exceptional painful for however long it takes for the drugs to work, and the electric chair fails from time to time, allowing the conscious to be zapped a second and even third time. Personally, I’d take the beheading.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 20:26

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Still waiting for the Trip Advisor review of death.

But obviously, no we don’t. However, we do know lethal injections are exceptional painful for however long it takes for the drugs to work, and the electric chair fails from time to time, allowing the conscious to be zapped a second and even third time. Personally, I’d take the beheading.

I'm definitely not of the opinion that the other forms are better than beheading. I've just got this feeling that the you might still be thinking WTF while your head is tumbling into the basket.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 21:23

Then there's this:

Your Brain Stays Active After You Get Decapitated

So while it's not entirely impossible for someone to still be conscious after being decapitated, it's not likely. Hillman also goes on to point out that the so-called painless guillotine is likely anything but. He states that "death occurs due to separation of the brain and spinal cord, after transection of the surrounding tissues. This must cause acute and possibly severe pain." This is one of the reasons why the guillotine, and beheading in general, is no longer an accepted method of execution in many countries with capital punishment.

Still not convinced it's worse than lethal injection or the chair.

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens.. 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 23:13

Heat Miser wrote:Then there's this:

Your Brain Stays Active After You Get Decapitated

So while it's not entirely impossible for someone to still be conscious after being decapitated, it's not likely. Hillman also goes on to point out that the so-called painless guillotine is likely anything but. He states that "death occurs due to separation of the brain and spinal cord, after transection of the surrounding tissues. This must cause acute and possibly severe pain." This is one of the reasons why the guillotine, and beheading in general, is no longer an accepted method of execution in many countries with capital punishment.

Still not convinced it's worse than lethal injection or the chair.

Saudi Arabia Beheads 37 Citizens.. 2599972566

I have a very difficult time believing a severed head could stay alive for thirty seconds, let alone respond to voice prompts or getting slapped. Maybe a few seconds, maybe. But most people pass out when there’s such a sudden loss of blood pressure, and that’s not counting actual blood loss and a severed spine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 10:40

Ouch - Long Read
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 10:59

Jake from State Farm wrote:Ouch - Long Read

That is rather fascinating history, and I'm maybe only 10% of the way through. Thanks for disrupting the next three hours of work it will take to read all that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 12:33

tGreenWay wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Are you suggesting American forms of capital punishment aren’t as bad as other countries?

I'm suggesting that, at a bare minimum, being drawn and quartered would be a worse way to go than being taken out by a firing squad. And being executed for murder is more just than being executed for selling drugs.

I am opposed to capital punishment, but I find some forms/instances/reasons more objectionable than others. Doesn't mean I agree with any of it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 12:38

Cameron wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'm suggesting that, at a bare minimum, being drawn and quartered would be a worse way to go than being taken out by a firing squad. And being executed for murder is more just than being executed for selling drugs.

I am opposed to capital punishment, but I find some forms/instances/reasons more objectionable than others. Doesn't mean I agree with any of it.
I agree with you.

the main reason, as I mentioned, that the United States mainly deals in lethal injection when we murder our own citizens is that it gives the illusion of the person just kind of drifting off to sleep. Which, of course, is not accurate at all.

it's basically a PR move - and I suspect it helps the white christians who make/legislate such decisions with regard to who lives and who dies sleep better at night.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 12:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I agree with you.

the main reason, as I mentioned, that the United States mainly deals in lethal injection when we murder our own citizens is that it gives the illusion of the person just kind of drifting off to sleep. Which, of course, is not accurate at all.

it's basically a PR move - and I suspect it helps the white christians who make/legislate such decisions with regard to who lives and who dies sleep better at night.

This. Not done for the benefit of the executed, but to make it easier for the rest of us to accept. That's also why they're not televised. If it's supposed to be a deterrent, why not show everybody?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 13:13

Heat Miser wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I agree with you.

This. Not done for the benefit of the executed, but to make it easier for the rest of us to accept. That's also why they're not televised. If it's supposed to be a deterrent, why not show everybody?
yep.

it wasn't my intent when starting it, but I actually appreciate the way this thread has evolved.. basically making certain that there is no real claim of moral superiority between government sponsored executions, regardless of which flag flies over the piece of Earth that guilty of murdering its own citizens.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 15:10

Apparently, the Saudis also crucified one of the beheaded. Imagine what the heat does to that corpse.

In Saudi Arabia, crucifixion means the body of someone executed is strung up and put on display as a deterrent to others.

Saudi Arabia executes 37 people, crucifying one, for terror-related crimes
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 15:31

Heat Miser wrote:Apparently, the Saudis also crucified one of the beheaded. Imagine what the heat does to that corpse.

In Saudi Arabia, crucifixion means the body of someone executed is strung up and put on display as a deterrent to others.

Saudi Arabia executes 37 people, crucifying one, for terror-related crimes
as you mentioned earlier (I think it was you) - at least they own their executions and publicize them for all to see.

America just prefers to execute its citizens in the dark of night behind closely guarded walls.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down