Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retail fraud question

+16
Code_Warrior
Other Teams Pursuing That
PCL
Cosmo_Kramer
tTy
Big Ten Referee
pulling69
Dendrobates
AMwood
Bud Fox
xsanguine
tGreenWay
Fat Guy on Couch
tTito
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
20 posters

Go down

Retail fraud question Empty Retail fraud question

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Let's say that I purchased something of moderate value (more than $50, less than $200) at a big box retailer. Let's say that retailer has a 14 day return policy. Let's say that the product breaks arbitrarily after 45 days.

I went out and bought another identical product and was going to do the ol' switcharoo because **** that noise. I can see that there is a visible S/N on the product itself and on the box. So if I put the original product in its original packaging, when the retailer goes to scan the UPC on the box and on the receipt from my NEWLY purchased product is it going to flag? Is the better play here to put the old defective product in the NEW box even though the S/Ns don't match?

You can judge me, I am ok with that. I am not gonna get ripped off though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Retail fraud question Empty Re: Retail fraud question

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Doesn't the manufacturer typically give a 1 year warranty? I'd check to see if there is one. 

That being said, I did it with a wireless keyboard, less than $30. Bought the same brand without realizing it until I got home. Put the old keyboard, which didn't even look used back in the box and took it back. Someone getting paid $10-$12 an hour without any benefits doesn't give a shit, as long as when they scan it they don't have any issues.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:05 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Let's say that I purchased something of moderate value (more than $50, less than $200) at a big box retailer. Let's say that retailer has a 14 day return policy. Let's say that the product breaks arbitrarily after 45 days.

I went out and bought another identical product and was going to do the ol' switcharoo because **** that noise. I can see that there is a visible S/N on the product itself and on the box. So if I put the original product in its original packaging, when the retailer goes to scan the UPC on the box and on the receipt from my NEWLY purchased product is it going to flag? Is the better play here to put the old defective product in the NEW box even though the S/Ns don't match?

This would have made a great Seinfeld episode. As George would say, "I like the way you think." Retail fraud question 502811600 
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:26 pm

InTenSity wrote:Doesn't the manufacturer typically give a 1 year warranty? I'd check to see if there is one. 

That being said, I did it with a wireless keyboard, less than $30. Bought the same brand without realizing it until I got home. Put the old keyboard, which didn't even look used back in the box and took it back. Someone getting paid $10-$12 an hour without any benefits doesn't give a shit, as long as when they scan it they don't have any issues.

It is under warranty but I don't want to have to go through all of that mess. I don't know what the process is to send it back, get a replacement, etc. Plus it's something I need every day so I wanted an immediate replacement.

I know I could switch the units and they wouldn't catch it at the counter, but I wondered if they might catch it later or something. Initial thought was it would be safer to use the old box but then I started wondering about the UPCs matching when they hit it with the scan gun.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Guy on Couch Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:28 pm

No down side to trying. Worst case scenario, the geek behind the returns counter calls over a manager and they refuse to refund your money.

I don't think they are gonna call the cops on you.
Fat Guy on Couch
Fat Guy on Couch
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:31 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

It is under warranty but I don't want to have to go through all of that mess. I don't know what the process is to send it back, get a replacement, etc. Plus it's something I need every day so I wanted an immediate replacement.

I know I could switch the units and they wouldn't catch it at the counter, but I wondered if they might catch it later or something. Initial thought was it would be safer to use the old box but then I started wondering about the UPCs matching when they hit it with the scan gun.

So you're going to screw over the next person? Nice. So what if they have to make another trip to the store when they find out the product doesn't work.

Karma, buddy. Better keep looking over your shoulder, because it will catch you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:37 pm

So you're going to screw over the next person? Nice. So what if they have to make another trip to the store when they find out the product doesn't work. 

Just tell the person behind the counter that you got home and it didn't work. They will discard it in the junk file. Probably do a vendor return on it and return it to the manufacturer or throw it away. 

I'm assuming that when WBH says that it is broken, that it isn't physically showing any signs of wear and tear. If that is the case, just return it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 pm

InTenSity wrote:

Just tell the person behind the counter that you got home and it didn't work. They will discard it in the junk file. Probably do a vendor return on it and return it to the manufacturer or throw it away. 

I'm assuming that when WBH says that it is broken, that it isn't physically showing any signs of wear and tear. If that is the case, just return it.

That still requires the next person to have to make a second trip to the store. OP is passing along his problem to the next guy, instead of taking care of it himself. That's bs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:20 pm

They aren't going to restock a defective item. They will push the button that says return reason
1) Not Satisfied
2) Exchange
3) Defective

Once they hit 3, the item is sent back to the manufacturer or thrown out. They don't restock a defective item on the shelf.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm

InTenSity wrote:They aren't going to restock a defective item. They will push the button that says return reason
1) Not Satisfied
2) Exchange
3) Defective

Once they hit 3, the item is sent back to the manufacturer or thrown out. They don't restock a defective item on the shelf.

Maybe I'm misreading what the OP is planning to do. Since the product is outside of the 14-day return window, he plans to buy the same product, take it home, switch the defective product into the newer box, then return it for a refund. The clerk then has the item restocked, then the next customer buys the defective item, takes it home, then has to return to the store to exchange the defective product.

Isn't that the plan, or have I missed something?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Tell the clerk the item doesn't work when he returns it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:46 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Let's say that I purchased something of moderate value (more than $50, less than $200) at a big box retailer. Let's say that retailer has a 14 day return policy. Let's say that the product breaks arbitrarily after 45 days.

Well... that's definitely retail fraud.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bud Fox Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:50 pm

tTito wrote:This would have made a great Seinfeld episode. As George would say, "I like the way you think." Retail fraud question 502811600 

They just write it off
Bud Fox
Bud Fox
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Bud Fox wrote:

They just write it off

Do you even know what a write-off is?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

yes. they get it for free somehow. they can even make money on writing it off sometimes.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Last December I bought a fake Christmas tree at Meijer. It was a 7ft tree with colored lights. I come home and open the box and inside was a 4ft tree with fake snow on it. I laughed to myself that someone got away with swaping their old shitty tree. Didn't matter to me, even though I had to take it back.

No real point to my story.......
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Dendrobates wrote:Last December I bought a  fake Christmas tree at Meijer. It was a 7ft tree with colored lights. I come home and open the box and inside was a 4ft tree with fake snow on it. I laughed to myself that someone got away with swaping their old shitty tree. Didn't matter to me, even though I had to take it back.

No real point to my story.......

Pics of stockings? TIA
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ten Referee Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I've done this with a Pioneer Stereo. F them for building a crappy product!
Big Ten Referee
Big Ten Referee
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm

InTenSity wrote:Tell the clerk the item doesn't work when he returns it.

Forget it, he's rolling.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46 pm

You need to start a thread that outlines all of your internet shopping failures.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 am

tTy wrote:You need to start a thread that outlines all of your internet shopping failures.

My history of exploits are the main reason why I'm bypassing the warranty process and going straight to the source. Retailer = evil and manufacturer = evil and oblivious. I would not pass this off onto another consumer. I would tell them product is faulty and they can put it in their scratch n' dent pile.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:07 pm

AMwood wrote:

yes. they get it for free somehow. they can even make money on writing it off sometimes.

Seinfeld quote comeback fail
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PCL Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Isn't it MORE work to go back and buy another one and then take it back rather than just dealing with the manufacturer's warranty?
PCL
PCL
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 pm

PCL wrote:Isn't it MORE work to go back and buy another one and then take it back rather than just dealing with the manufacturer's warranty?  

Hell no. Those things suck.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 pm

The UPC is a 12 digit number with the first 6 being the mfg code, the next 5 being the item number and the last being a check digit. There is no serial number information in a UPC bar code, so scanning it wouldn't raise a flag. However, that doesn't mean that the customer service rep wouldn't take the next step and look for the serial numbers to match, but it's likely that they won't.

I'd probably just try to return the old one anyway because **** that 14 day return policy. If you're persistent enough and make a big enough deal they will usually let you exchange it. If they don't then **** that store.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonerland Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Just do it. I mean big box retailers are large faceless corporations and the only ones who get hurt are the stockholders.

Bonerland
Bonerland
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Sometimes the store/company you bought the product from has an agreement with that vendor to honor warranties/returns through the store level.

Some shit, you gotta take it back through a vendor. I am a retail store manager. Just be honest and go to the store with the defective model and see what they can do. Directly ask to talk to the manager, don't bother with a clerk. See what can be done. You never know.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for the advice DR (and others). Too late. I'm squarely in the middle of operation Jungle Gym already. I don't know why I named it that but I did, so live with it.

I will attempt to take back the item this week using the new receipt and old box and defective item and report back. I will instruct the clerk that it is defective so they don't restock it.

God speed.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Thanks for the advice DR (and others). Too late. I'm squarely in the middle of operation Jungle Gym already. I don't know why I named it that but I did, so live with it.

I will attempt to take back the item this week using the new receipt and old box and defective item and report back. I will instruct the clerk that it is defective so they don't restock it.

God speed.

What are you trying to return, Beavis?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 pm

If it's defective, they probably won't dig too much into things. I usually don't unless someone bought something and deliberately broke it (i.e. baseball bat, golf club, etc.) or used it and decided it doesn't work (i.e. kayak, baseball bat again, golf club again, etc.).

Sounds like you're going about it the right way.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Mission complete
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:39 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Mission complete

Were the cops involved in any way?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:46 pm

How the hell do you break a Hitachi Magic Wand anyway?
..and I hope you washed it off, at least
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm

tTy wrote:

Were the cops involved in any way?

Negatory. Easy Peazy. Cash refund.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Well they do...and they're the ones writing it off!
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

Seinfeld quote comeback fail

Have you ever thought that, unlike you, my entire humor library isn't based on a few seinfeld episodes?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down