Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Koch - Dead..

+6
tGreenWay
Heat Miser
DWags
Cameron
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
10 posters

Go down

David Koch - Dead..  Empty David Koch - Dead..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-23, 09:28

of course the mainstream media headline calls him a "philanthropist"... David Koch - Dead..  502811600

NBC News - David Koch, billionaire conservative activist and philanthropist, dies at 79.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

David Koch - Dead..  Empty Re: David Koch - Dead..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-23, 09:29

oh, and if you're wondering what a "philanthropist" is and why the mainstream media calls him such..

phi·lan·thro·pist
/fəˈlanTHrəpəst/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: philanthropist; plural noun: philanthropists

a person who seeks to promote the welfare of others, especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.

David Koch - Dead..  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-23, 10:10

He certainly made moves to re-brand himself towards the end, but what an evil fucker he was.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-23, 10:15

more mainstream media exaltation of the "philanthropist"..

NPR
@NPR
· 1h
JUST IN: Billionaire philanthropist and conservative political activist David Koch has died at 79.

only in the American media does funding hate groups make you a "philanthropist".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-08-23, 10:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:more mainstream media exaltation of the "philanthropist"..

NPR
@NPR
· 1h
JUST IN: Billionaire philanthropist and conservative political activist David Koch has died at 79.

only in the American media does funding hate groups make you a "philanthropist".

I read an article that made reference to contributions to the ACLU. Seems like he probably wasn't pure evil, probably just somewhere in the neighborhood of 99%.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-08-23, 10:36

He tried to get right with his lord a bit before his death. But fuck it , like me, it just won’t work. So, I hope he was able to take it with him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-23, 10:40

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:more mainstream media exaltation of the "philanthropist"..

I read an article that made reference to contributions to the ACLU. Seems like he probably wasn't pure evil, probably just somewhere in the neighborhood of 99%.
probably thought the ACLU was a white nationalist front.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-08-23, 15:24

cheers 1 down, 1 to go.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-08-23, 16:15

If there really is a hell, this jackass will need to spend a long time convincing St. Peter he shouldn’t be there, and he will fail.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-24, 12:03

Bill Maher really tore into him last night in his monologue. I’m sure it will be controversial on msm programs that are trying to paint him as a philanthropist and giver instead of the huge piece of shit that he was.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-08-24, 12:42

steveschneider wrote:Bill Maher really tore into him last night in his monologue. I’m sure it will be controversial on msm programs that are trying to paint him as a philanthropist and giver instead of the huge piece of shit that he was.
FoxNews is outraged.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-08-24, 13:06

Heat Miser wrote:cheers 1 down, 1 to go.

So my wife who wouldn’t ever talk poorly of the dead said that exact same thing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-24, 13:32

David Koch - Dead..  3003718628

https://www.charleskochfoundation.org/our-giving-and-support/higher-education/list-of-supported-colleges/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-24, 13:48

I think David Koch is responsible for the largest single donation to the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. It was at least $150 million, and he probably gave over $100 million more to NYC hospitals and medical centers. He also gave considerable amounts to the arts. So it wasn't all to conservative or partisan causes.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-08-24, 14:20

I guess you weigh the good against the bad. Did he donate to cancer research before or after he came down with it? Even if it’s after I guess it’s good. But he is also the sole reason we have climate change deniers and skeptics and he’s funded those organizations out of pure greed because of his oil plants and chemical plants. His plants cause more pollution than ten combined. He hated lgbtq organizations and worked against them. I have no proof he’s a racist, but if I had to bet.

So you weigh the bad and good. If I was running a school charity or any fund raiser I’d probably take money from anyone
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-24, 16:22

Turtleneck wrote:I think David Koch is responsible for the largest single donation to the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. It was at least $150 million, and he probably gave over $100 million more to NYC hospitals and medical centers. He also gave considerable amounts to the arts. So it wasn't all to conservative or partisan causes.
while simultaneously funding companies that manufacture carcinogens.

Also a racist, bigoted supporter of the (very non-racist) Tea Party who were opposed to (ahem) "government spending".

Not my kind of guy.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-24, 16:35

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Bill Maher really tore into him last night in his monologue. I’m sure it will be controversial on msm programs that are trying to paint him as a philanthropist and giver instead of the huge piece of shit that he was.
FoxNews is outraged.

I think he expressed common sentiment but I bet since he pissed off libs I’m sure a lot of deplorables like him for that reason alone.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-24, 16:47

All the philanthropic stuff was a massive rebranding effort on their part.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiu0bTCrpzkAhUMTd8KHe7GB_kQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newyorker.com%2Fmagazine%2F2016%2F01%2F25%2Fnew-koch&psig=AOvVaw2IniJVwSWrhuBdVJJGpNBj&ust=1566765517943669

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-24, 16:50

Listen, it's all fine and good but sometimes it gets a little old and hypocritical to tear everyone and everything down. Maybe this is not the right person to point that out with, but whatever.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-24, 17:52

InTenSity wrote:
FoxNews is outraged.
and yet they celebrate mass shootings and the murder of unarmed black kids by police.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-24, 17:55

Turtleneck wrote:Listen, it's all fine and good but sometimes it gets a little old and hypocritical to tear everyone and everything down. Maybe this is not the right person to point that out with, but whatever.
meh.. people can think/say what they want. While I wouldn't celebrate the death of anyone, he seemed like a pretty loathsome guy.

And, of course, the mainstream media will lionize him in his death... it's what they do.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-24, 17:59

Turtleneck wrote:Listen, it's all fine and good but sometimes it gets a little old and hypocritical to tear everyone and everything down. Maybe this is not the right person to point that out with, but whatever.

As Bill maher put it at least he got to live long enough to watch the Amazon on fire. The Koch’s are pieces of shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-24, 18:12

https://oliverwillis.com/2019/08/23/david-koch-died-he-was-evil/

He went easy on them too.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-24, 20:13

steveschneider wrote:

As Bill maher put it at least he got to live long enough to watch the Amazon on fire. The Koch’s are pieces of shit.

Bill Maher is horrible. He gives a platform to alt-right jerks to spew their nonsense. People like Maher are part of the problem.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-25, 13:33

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Bill Maher is horrible. He gives a platform to alt-right jerks to spew their nonsense. People like Maher are part of the problem.

Funny he mentioned that the other night, had on some right wing nut job and said folks on twitter are going to be mad I had you on saying I’m giving you a platform. It’s a tough call, I don’t know what the answer is. You shun these people and keep them hidden or you accept they are a big part of America and have them on and debate them? The guy he has on Friday thought women that have abortions should be put to death by hanging and he lost his job at the Atlantic because of it. My .02 the guy is a piece of shit and I gained nothing by hearing what he had to say so in this case I agree with you.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-08-25, 13:50

When you have all the money in the world, it makes sense to give some of it away on a lot of levels, one of which is yes, it’s the right thing to do. But there’s a couple reasons why it also makes sense to look at any ultra rich person with a discerning eye no matter how many foundations and research centers have his name on them. The Koch brothers built a decent sized company into a mega giant company with its fingers in nearly every product in everyone’s home There’s no law against that and if that’s where they stopped, that would be the end of it. But they, mostly Charles, didn’t stop there. They built a political machine to change the government to favor them. They set the standard for ultra rich funded PACs and astroturfing. The tea party is them. The stacking of the Supreme Court with “constitutionalists” was them. Therefore, Citizens United was them, chipping away at environmental law was them, George fucking W Bush v. Gore was them. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. These guys are the puppet masters and we’re all dancing to their tune. So I guess forgive me if I look at a cancer center with Koch’s name on it (literally a rounding error in one year’s profits for them) and weigh it against the millions dying from environmental degradation by companies owned by these guys. Forgive me if I look at environmental refugees being beaten back by nationalist racists all over the world and think that the Koch’s have a bigger hand in that than is immediately apparent without historical perspective.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-26, 07:17

Rocinante wrote:When you have all the money in the world, it makes sense to give some of it away on a lot of levels, one of which is yes, it’s the right thing to do. But there’s a couple reasons why it also makes sense to look at any ultra rich person with a discerning eye no matter how many foundations and research centers have his name on them. The Koch brothers built a decent sized company into a mega giant company with its fingers in nearly every product in everyone’s home There’s no law against that and if that’s where they stopped, that would be the end of it. But they, mostly Charles, didn’t stop there. They built a political machine to change the government to favor them. They set the standard for ultra rich funded PACs and astroturfing. The tea party is them. The stacking of the Supreme Court with “constitutionalists” was them. Therefore, Citizens United was them, chipping away at environmental law was them, George fucking W Bush v. Gore was them. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. These guys are the puppet masters and we’re all dancing to their tune. So I guess forgive me if I look at a cancer center with Koch’s name on it (literally a rounding error in one year’s profits for them) and weigh it against the millions dying from environmental degradation by companies owned by these guys. Forgive me if I look at environmental refugees being beaten back by nationalist racists all over the world and think that the Koch’s have a bigger hand in that than is immediately apparent without historical perspective.

Well put. All the states rights bs is them, the right to work bs is them, Alec is them, blocking legislation is them, the bs you saw in North Carolina and Wisconsin where they strip the newly elected Democratic governor of power is them...I buy into Nancy macleans claim that when future historians look back on the current conservative radical gop it will be the Koch brothers not Trump that they look at and study. Fuck those guys.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-26, 16:57

Rocinante wrote:When you have all the money in the world, it makes sense to give some of it away on a lot of levels, one of which is yes, it’s the right thing to do. But there’s a couple reasons why it also makes sense to look at any ultra rich person with a discerning eye no matter how many foundations and research centers have his name on them. The Koch brothers built a decent sized company into a mega giant company with its fingers in nearly every product in everyone’s home There’s no law against that and if that’s where they stopped, that would be the end of it. But they, mostly Charles, didn’t stop there. They built a political machine to change the government to favor them. They set the standard for ultra rich funded PACs and astroturfing. The tea party is them. The stacking of the Supreme Court with “constitutionalists” was them. Therefore, Citizens United was them, chipping away at environmental law was them, George fucking W Bush v. Gore was them. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. These guys are the puppet masters and we’re all dancing to their tune. So I guess forgive me if I look at a cancer center with Koch’s name on it (literally a rounding error in one year’s profits for them) and weigh it against the millions dying from environmental degradation by companies owned by these guys. Forgive me if I look at environmental refugees being beaten back by nationalist racists all over the world and think that the Koch’s have a bigger hand in that than is immediately apparent without historical perspective.
yep.

Lots of folks get tied up in the mainstream media narrative of them being "philanthropists".

America is a stupid country.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-28, 09:36

uh oh - mainstream media personality who supports the death penalty, children in cages and celebrates unarmed black kids being murdered by police is upset about someone being happy that David Koch died.

Fox News host Sean Hannity slammed Bill Maher Monday after the late night host said he was "glad" billionaire businessman David Koch had died.

"You're a (expletive). You're a mean-spirited (expletive)," Hannity said in a clip from his show, directly addressing Maher. "I have other words I really want to use, but unlike you, I work at a network that has some standards and if I said it, I'd have to spend all day tomorrow and the next day dealing with that crap."

selective moral outrage is so cute. David Koch - Dead..  502811600

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-28, 09:49

Sean hannity and Bill Maher getting in a fight....

David Koch - Dead..  C-658VsXoAo3ovC
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-28, 10:51

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Sean hannity and Bill Maher getting in a fight....

False equivalence.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-08-28, 11:25

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Sean hannity and Bill Maher getting in a fight....

False equivalence.

Not really tho
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-28, 12:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

False equivalence.

Not really tho

I think you hate them both equally as much, but they aren't anything alike.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-28, 12:51

more than anything, I get a kick out of a "grab 'em by the pussy" guy getting sad when someone says something he doesn't like.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down