Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread

+16
tGreenWay
The Pantry
InTenSity
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
Wally Fairway
duffy munn
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
kingstonlake
Cameron
Nordic
20 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 Empty Re: tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread

Post by Cameron 2019-08-30, 22:24

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:I ain't even shook about the offense. Our defense gives me a boner. Gonna be a good year.

How do you know the erection is not from Steve's posts?

You are my second least favorite poster. Everyone hates you.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 Empty Re: tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread

Post by Rocinante 2019-08-30, 22:25

Targeting gets called too much.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-08-30, 22:25

I’m not even watching this game if you didn’t guess.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-30, 22:26

Can’t move the ball on Tulsa... big ten season should go well!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-08-30, 22:27

If anyone needs a distraction....

Live rocking concert on the youtubes.

https://youtu.be/zbrot1ohn7I
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-08-30, 22:29

AvgMSUJoe wrote:If anyone needs a distraction....

Live rocking concert on the youtubes.

https://youtu.be/zbrot1ohn7I
Eventually
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-30, 22:30

3 points in the 2nd half
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-30, 22:30

The perfect game for message boards. A very comfortable win, but with enough bad to allow people to have their full meltdowns.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-08-30, 22:34

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:
#teamcameron

Offense wins championships.

What was our best year under Dantonio? What was our best unit during that season? Shut the fuck up, steve.

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Did Cameron watch last year lmao

Did OTPT watch 2013? lmao

Seriously, blow me. You wanna cast your lot in with steve, be my guest.

steveschneider wrote:

I think I’m correct in saying we need to modernize our offense.

One trick pony steve, going back to the modernization well. Fucking steve...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-30, 22:49

While I am in no way saying that the offense was good or will be good, there were some sloppy mistakes that you would hope will be cleaned up.

5-6 dropped passes. Can't have that whatsoever.

Drive killing penalties. Interestingly, some of the crucial ones came from spots that had to be shaken up due to Arcuri's injury (LT and RG).

Of course, it wasn't all sloppy mistakes, there are real areas of concern:

OL push. Second stringers and shuffled OL should still do so much better against Tulsa. Two 4th and 1s stopped. No fucking excuse.

WRs. It seems clear that had trouble getting open. And we dont have a Felton that can out leap/out muscle guys in the same way if the DB is close.

RB. I'm not comfortable with Heyward. I'll have to rewatch to see if there were holes he missed, but that was a problem of his last year's.

But contrary to some views, I think Lewerke will grade out fine in the film room. Drops and WRs not being open have to factor into any analysis of him. Unless there were wide open WRs that I couldn't see on TV, he was good with decision making. Picked his spots well to run, too. Not perfect, but solid with things to build on.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-30, 22:52

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

What was our best year under Dantonio? What was our best unit during that season? Shut the fuck up, steve.

steveschneider wrote:

Our best year was 2013 and our offense put up like 29 points a game. You are crazy if you think you only need to be good on one side of the ball.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-30, 22:52

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

steveschneider wrote:

Meh. The 2013 team had a strong OL and a 1400 yard rusher. I think that makes a huge difference. I don't think this OL will be as strong, and I am not confident a consistently strong rushing game emerges. 

The 2013 offense did not score a lot of points, but it executed better and was probably more talented across the board.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-30, 22:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Can’t move the ball on Tulsa... big ten season should go well!

Can’t give Tulsa’s defense credit we stunk it up and brought the 1992 George Perles play book out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-30, 22:58

steveschneider wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Can’t move the ball on Tulsa... big ten season should go well!

brought the 1992 George Perles play book out.

Nope. To me it's not so much the play calls as the execution and ability.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-30, 22:58

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Meh. The 2013 team had a strong OL and a 1400 yard rusher. I think that makes a huge difference. I don't think this OL will be as strong, and I am not confident a consistently strong rushing game emerges. 

The 2013 offense did not score a lot of points, but it executed better and was probably more talented across the board.

I couldn’t even watch the fourth quarter tonight that’s how bad our offense is.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-30, 23:00

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

brought the 1992 George Perles play book out.

Nope. To me it's not so much the play calls as the execution and ability.

So many stupid penalties and this team can’t seem to get any momentum. The stadium was rocking after that turnover in the first half and what does the O do? Get an offsides and just like that the energy is gone.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-30, 23:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:While I am in no way saying that the offense was good or will be good, there were some sloppy mistakes that you would hope will be cleaned up.

5-6 dropped passes. Can't have that whatsoever.

Drive killing penalties. Interestingly, some of the crucial ones came from spots that had to be shaken up due to Arcuri's injury (LT and RG).

Of course, it wasn't all sloppy mistakes, there are real areas of concern:

OL push. Second stringers and shuffled OL should still do so much better against Tulsa. Two 4th and 1s stopped. No fucking excuse.

WRs. It seems clear that had trouble getting open. And we dont have a Felton that can out leap/out muscle guys in the same way if the DB is close.

RB. I'm not comfortable with Heyward. I'll have to rewatch to see if there were holes he missed, but that was a problem of his last year's.

But contrary to some views, I think Lewerke will grade out fine in the film room. Drops and WRs not being open have to factor into any analysis of him. Unless there were wide open WRs that I couldn't see on TV, he was good with decision making. Picked his spots well to run, too. Not perfect, but solid with things to build on.

Pretty good analysis. I’d say one thing of note Lewerke had some good runs tonight. Ran for 34 yards avg 4.9 yards. Would like to see him use his running ability to create a pass or a little scrambling to allow a receiver to get open.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-30, 23:07

Maybe we could reshuffle the defense for the offense like we did with the coaching staff
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-08-30, 23:16

tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 20190810

It was a beautiful day for football. Not so much for the offense though. Tighten it up.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-30, 23:44

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

If we are looking at 2013 for a comparison, at this point (and for the next few weeks) that 1400 yard RB was anything but the answer at RB. He was part of running back by committee (for lack of any good option) with Nick Hill and Riley Bullough.

Not saying we have the next Jlang on the team now, but it should be remembered that players can emerge a few games into the season (Cook and others, too, if course).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-08-30, 23:51

steveschneider wrote:

Pretty good analysis. I’d say one thing of note Lewerke had some good runs tonight. Ran for 34 yards avg 4.9 yards. Would like to see him use his running ability to create a pass or a little scrambling to allow a receiver to get open.

If the O-line doesn't get it together, you'll see a lot of Lewerke scrambling.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-08-30, 23:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

If we are looking at 2013 for a comparison, at this point (and for the next few weeks) that 1400 yard RB was anything but the answer at RB. He was part of running back by committee (for lack of any good option) with Nick Hill and Riley Bullough.

Not saying we have the next Jlang on the team now, but it should be remembered that players can emerge a few games into the season (Cook and others, too, if course).

This guy gets it.

Good MSU football is like novocaine. Just give it time, it'll work.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-30, 23:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Langford had close to 100 yards on close to five yards per carry in the opener against WMU. Tonight's leading rusher had closer to 40 on just under three yards per carry. Seems like in early 2013, we could observe a little more to work with.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-08-31, 00:05

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Langford had close to 100 yards on close to five yards per carry in the opener against WMU. Tonight's leading rusher had closer to 40 on just under three yards per carry. Seems like in early 2013, we could observe a little more to work with.

I didn't bring up 2013 (and I think I was the first to mention that team in this thread) to assert that this year's team will be as good as that team was, that was probably the pinnacle of the Dantonio era. But the D could approach that level, which gives the offense a greater margin for error.

If the 2019 offense can be 80% as good as the 2013 offense was, I think we've got a shot at double digit wins. This D is legit.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-31, 00:11

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I didn't bring up 2013 (and I think I was the first to mention that team in this thread) to assert that this year's team will be as good as that team was, that was probably the pinnacle of the Dantonio era. But the D could approach that level, which gives the offense a greater margin for error.

If the 2019 offense can be 80% as good as the 2013 offense was, I think we've got a shot at double digit wins. This D is legit.

My misunderstanding. I agree about the defense rivaling 2013. I just don't know if the offense can do its part as well or as consistently.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-08-31, 00:12

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Willikes was murdering bitches out there tonight.

Did the tv guys get into his shoulder pad being exposed all game? I was wondering what that was all about.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-31, 00:24

Apparently you can't have spikes on your pads now.

tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 Latest?cb=20160822174431
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-08-31, 00:42

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 20190810

It was a beautiful day for football. Not so much for the offense though. Tighten it up.

What was that, a tribute to the Cedar Village riots?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-31, 00:49

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:tOfficial opening day vs. Tulsa game thread - Page 7 20190810

What was that, a tribute to the Cedar Village riots?

I think that WBH's grill. He was late getting it off the field.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-31, 09:47

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Now go luck up the stats for the second and third game and Nick Hill was easily the leading rusher.

Ok, yeah, I said "at this point" in 2013, but unless you want to play Nigel and argue over irrelevant details, my point stands that NO ONE was counting on the guy that had spent 3 years bouncing around to various positions to be any kind of a success at the position through the first several games.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-08-31, 12:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Now go luck up the stats for the second and third game and Nick Hill was easily the leading rusher.

Ok, yeah, I said "at this point" in 2013, but unless you want to play Nigel and argue over irrelevant details, my point stands that NO ONE was counting on the guy that had spent 3 years bouncing around to various positions to be any kind of a success at the position through the first several games.

True, but I think you saw more promise from the OL early on that enabled Langford and Hill to comparatively standout early. As I have said above, the running game and OL was disappointing. They obviously function in tandem.

It’s only one game so the sample size is as minimal as it gets. I just think it was a let down because at times it was too reminiscent of 2018.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-08-31, 12:37

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

True, but I think you saw more promise from the OL early on that enabled Langford and Hill to comparatively standout early. As I have said above, the running game and OL was disappointing. They obviously function in tandem.

It’s only one game so the sample size is as minimal as it gets. I just think it was a let down because at times it was too reminiscent of 2018.

The Collins kid and Jefferson should both get more carries.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-31, 12:45

Heyward should be a linebacker
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-08-31, 12:49

The 4th and 1 play inside the 10, pretty sure the handoff was to Heyward. Took the ball and started running sideways.
He's the guy I'd expect to be the bulldozer up the middle, I don't know if that's lack of confidence in the line, or just not understanding the principle.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-31, 13:31

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Fair enough. It is hard to remember if we thought the OL showed promise early in 2013, but I didnt see a lot of promise from this one yesterday. I hope the last minute reshuffling, guards playing tackle, etc., had something to do with that, and I'm not just clutching at straws.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7