Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rittenberg bringing it strong

+8
NigelUno
Larry Kazamias
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
I.B. Fine
Giant Moose
CrazySparty
InTenSity
12 posters

Go down

Rittenberg bringing it strong Empty Rittenberg bringing it strong

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 01:51 pm

I don't know how many of you read the B1G Blog on ESPN, but I've been reading it for a while now. I used to find Rittenberg to be a little biased, but it seems as if the longer he is blogging about the B1G, the more he is seeing how it is run. 

Today's article he asks, why is O$U getting so much love? I liked this quote. 
If you can make a case why Ohio State is well ahead of Michigan State and the rest of the Big Ten, be my guest. But don't base it on Ohio State being Ohio State and Michigan State being Michigan State. That type of lazy, it-is-how-it-is-because-it-always-has-been thinking enters too many college football conversations. 

He has gone off on scum fans in the past, and will tell it like it is. I think at times he is a bit too much in love with Wisky, but at the same time, he seems to be one of the few people that is trying to change the perception of the B1G as the Big2 little 10.

Anyway, I thought he had some great points, I can't read the comments, but I'm sure O$U and um fans are going to try to destroy it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Rittenberg bringing it strong Empty Re: Rittenberg bringing it strong

Post by CrazySparty 09/07/14, 01:53 pm

Conflicted. On one hand, I love Rittenberg keeping it real. On the other hand, I rather enjoy the underdog/chip on the shoulder mentality.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 09/07/14, 01:54 pm

BUT BUT BUT CROOOOOOOOOOTIN'!!!!!!!!!!
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 09/07/14, 01:59 pm

CrazySparty wrote:Conflicted. On one hand, I love Rittenberg keeping it real. On the other hand, I rather enjoy the underdog/chip on the shoulder mentality.

Agreed, but the chip on the shoulder thing only last so long, sooner or later it reality sinks in. Who's got the chip between us and UMAA these days?
I trust Coach D to maintain the intensity.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 02:04 pm

The chip on the shoulder is going to come from getting dismissed before the season starts. If we win or keep it close against Oregon, MSU is in the discussion and there is no more underdog role. The only way MSU won't get respect is a 14+ loss to Oregon. 

Rittenberg follows the B1G, its all he does. I like his perspective because he isn't paid by the B1G, so he doesn't have an agenda. Bennett isn't as forceful in his posts, but he does wonder a lot, why do UM and O$U get so much love? All Adam is really asking in this post is, why is there a perceived gap between O$U and MSU?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 09/07/14, 02:14 pm

ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB 6m
Has Michigan State passed Michigan as the top CFB program in the Great Lakes State? Tell us why using #CFBLIVE

Rittenberg bringing it strong BsHv9C6IEAIoHRI
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 09/07/14, 02:17 pm

Jake Ishbia ‏@JakeIshbia317 2m

@ESPNCFB MSU plays defense, Michigan doesn't. Also it doesn't hurt that Mark Dantonio uses his headset unlike Brady Hoke #cfblive

Rittenberg bringing it strong 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 02:30 pm

InTenSity wrote:I don't know how many of you read the B1G Blog on ESPN, but I've been reading it for a while now. I used to find Rittenberg to be a little biased, but it seems as if the longer he is blogging about the B1G, the more he is seeing how it is run. 

Today's article he asks, why is O$U getting so much love? I liked this quote. 

He has gone off on scum fans in the past, and will tell it like it is. I think at times he is a bit too much in love with Wisky, but at the same time, he seems to be one of the few people that is trying to change the perception of the B1G as the Big2 little 10.

Anyway, I thought he had some great points, I can't read the comments, but I'm sure O$U and um fans are going to try to destroy it.

That's because CFB attracts so many goobers that throw on OSU or Michigan or ND gear and they go out and argue superiority based on name brand and tradition.

You really can't have an intelligent conversation with most CFB fans because they are often delusional and incapable of being objective.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 09/07/14, 02:31 pm

Kyle ‏@THOT97 5m

@ESPNCFB no Michigan has just lacked stability ever since Rich Rod got fired. With Coach Nussmeier UM will be a stronger program #CFBLive

Hopes are high
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 02:44 pm

steveschneider wrote:That's because CFB attracts so many goobers that throw on OSU or Michigan or ND gear and they go out and argue superiority based on name brand and tradition. 

You really can't have an intelligent conversation with most CFB fans because they are often delusional and incapable of being objective.
The same thing happens here and throughout the B1G. When you talk about other conferences, I see it happening all the time. Washington can't be good, because USC and Oregon. Missouri can't keep their momentum, because other SEC teams. I always find some amusement when I see things discussed about other conferences, and see the same excuses being used as to why an Arkansas or Arizona (hell even Auburn) can't keep up. Usually it will involve, because Bama and LSU. Oh, UF just had a down year, they will get better, because UF. 

MSU will need another 5 years of prolonged great years, with or without um doing well, to be in the conversation. I don't remember Stanford and Oregon getting much respect in the late 90's and early 00's.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 02:45 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Kyle ‏@THOT97 5m

@ESPNCFB no Michigan has just lacked stability ever since Rich Rod got fired. With Coach Nussmeier UM will be a stronger program #CFBLive

Hopes are high

This is why CFB analysis is so stupid. On what basis will Nussmeier make UM better?

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 09/07/14, 02:48 pm

steveschneider wrote:

This is why CFB analysis is so stupid. On what basis will Nussmeier make UM better?

Well, geez, he coached for Saban so he must be an upgrade. Nevermind that Saban was on verge of running Nussmeier out of town when u of m hired him.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 02:51 pm

InTenSity wrote:
The same thing happens here and throughout the B1G. When you talk about other conferences, I see it happening all the time. Washington can't be good, because USC and Oregon. Missouri can't keep their momentum, because other SEC teams. I always find some amusement when I see things discussed about other conferences, and see the same excuses being used as to why an Arkansas or Arizona (hell even Auburn) can't keep up. Usually it will involve, because Bama and LSU. Oh, UF just had a down year, they will get better, because UF. 

MSU will need another 5 years of prolonged great years, with or without um doing well, to be in the conversation. I don't remember Stanford and Oregon getting much respect in the late 90's and early 00's.

I don't know you don't hear people saying USC should win the PAC 10 just because they got a new coach. There was a time when Alabama and LSU both stunk and you never heard these unrealistic projections that they would win the SEC just because they were Alabama.

The analysis around OSU and Michigan is just laughable. Just because Michigan got a new OC they are supposed to be good again? That's what the 'experts' are telling us. I think it's a joke, I'm glad Rittenberger is calling out the BS.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 02:52 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Well, geez, he coached for Saban so he must be an upgrade.  Nevermind that Saban was on verge of running Nussmeier out of town when u of m hired him.

Exactly.

Nussmeier was a nobody until he coached for Saban, and now that he got fired by Saban he's suddenly a god in football? That is sound logic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 02:54 pm

steveschneider wrote:

I don't know you don't hear people saying USC should win the PAC 10 just because they got a new coach. There was a time when Alabama and LSU both stunk and you never heard these unrealistic projections that they would win the SEC just because they were Alabama.

The analysis around OSU and Michigan is just laughable. Just because Michigan got a new OC they are supposed to be good again? That's what the 'experts' are telling us. I think it's a joke, I'm glad Rittenberger is calling out the BS.

To your defense, I saw a ranking, maybe on B/R of the B1G this year. I know that B/R is horrible, but they have a great app. Anyway, they had um at #5 in the conference because recruiting and Nuss.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 09/07/14, 02:57 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB 6m
Has Michigan State passed Michigan as the top CFB program in the Great Lakes State? Tell us why using #CFBLIVE

Rittenberg bringing it strong BsHv9C6IEAIoHRI
While I like the pub and all, it'd be nice if MSU didn't always need to be framed in a Michigan narrative.

I'd rather see College Football Live question whether we are approaching an OSU-level of consistency like Rittenberg was talking about rather than comparing us to a team that has a losing record in its conference over the last several years.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 02:59 pm

InTenSity wrote:
To your defense, I saw a ranking, maybe on B/R of the B1G this year. I know that B/R is horrible, but they have a great app. Anyway, they had um at #5 in the conference because recruiting and Nuss.

That sounds about right. I haven't given it much though yet, but I'd probably have MSU, OSU, NEB, Wis, ahead of them for sure. I'd probably have to take a look at what PSU and Iowa are bringing back. So I'd probably have UofM anywhere from 5th to 6th maybe 7th if PSU and Iowa are going to bring back solid teams.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 03:00 pm

Giant Moose wrote:While I like the pub and all, it'd be nice if MSU didn't always need to be framed in a Michigan narrative.

I'd rather see College Football Live question whether we are approaching an OSU-level of consistency like Rittenberg was talking about rather than comparing us to a team that has a losing record in its conference over the last several years.
I'm guessing that the blog post is going to get more views than a random tweet sent out on a Wed afternoon. So I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about being compared to um on this one.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 09/07/14, 03:03 pm

InTenSity wrote:
I'm guessing that the blog post is going to get more views than a random tweet sent out on a Wed afternoon. So I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about being compared to um on this one.
I assume they tweeted that because it will be a topic on College Football Live today. It's probably comparable the number of people who watch that and read the ESPN college football blog.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 03:06 pm

steveschneider wrote:

That sounds about right. I haven't given it much though yet, but I'd probably have MSU, OSU, NEB, Wis, ahead of them for sure. I'd probably have to take a look at what PSU and Iowa are bringing back. So I'd probably have UofM anywhere from 5th to 6th maybe 7th if PSU and Iowa are going to bring back solid teams.
I think they had Iowa 4th.

Yup, Found it. In front of Nebraska and PSU.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 03:07 pm

Giant Moose wrote:
While I like the pub and all, it'd be nice if MSU didn't always need to be framed in a Michigan narrative.

I wish our AD and Wisconsins AD would do more to cultivate the MSU vs Wisconsin rivalry. The bball and football games are some of the best all season and it could easily be one of the better rivalries in the conference. The OSU vs Mich game has been a complete bore more often that not.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 03:11 pm

InTenSity wrote:
I think they had Iowa 4th.

Yup, Found it. In front of Nebraska and PSU.

Hmm, I have to confess I haven't read a lot of previews but I have a hard time seeing NW better than Neb. Isn't Neb returning a solid RB, Martinez and then add in Gregory. I guess there's the Pelini factor, you can always count on him doing something unbelievably stupid to cost a game or two.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 09/07/14, 03:13 pm

steveschneider wrote:

I wish our AD and Wisconsins AD would do more to cultivate the MSU vs Wisconsin rivalry. The bball and football games are some of the best all season and it could easily be one of the better rivalries in the conference. The OSU vs Mich game has been a complete bore more often that not.
Unfortunately that isn't going to happen unless...well we both better just win our divisions! I don't think we play Wisky again for 4-6 years because of the divisions. Most outsiders agree that it was turning into a great rivalry, but you know, tradition and stuff. Wisky Minny and scum osu. Lets move East!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 09/07/14, 03:16 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Hmm, I have to confess I haven't read a lot of previews but I have a hard time seeing NW better than Neb. Isn't Neb returning a solid RB, Martinez and then add in Gregory. I guess there's the Pelini factor, you can always count on him doing something unbelievably stupid to cost a game or two.

Taylor Martinez isn't coming back, assuming that's the Martinez you're referring to.

Although Ameer Abdullah is a beast. He may very well be the best RB we see all season.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 09/07/14, 03:47 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Exactly.

Nussmeier was a nobody until he coached for Saban, and now that he got fired by Saban he's suddenly a god in football? That is sound logic.
Just like "the architect of the Ravens D" Titties Mattison getting run out in favor of Pagano, yet his hire was a legendary coup.

It is called suspending disbelief
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 04:09 pm

Larry Kazamias wrote:
Just like "the architect of the Ravens D" Titties Mattison getting run out in favor of Pagano, yet his hire was a legendary coup.

It is called suspending disbelief

Yep.

What if UofM hired Don Treadwell? People would call it a weak hire. But, if Don Treadwell had coached for Nick Saban and then got fired well it would be a strong hire.

I thought Hoke was a weak hire from the get go. I just can't see hiring Nussmeier improving Hoke.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 09/07/14, 04:40 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Yep.

What if UofM hired Don Treadwell? People would call it a weak hire. But, if Don Treadwell had coached for Nick Saban and then got fired well it would be a strong hire.

I thought Hoke was a weak hire from the get go. I just can't see hiring Nussmeier improving Hoke.

I love the decision to have Nussmeier on the sidelines too (instead of in the box). That way Hoke will look smarter by standing next to him.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 09/07/14, 04:41 pm

Boom goes the dynamite.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 09/07/14, 04:47 pm

I love the tweets saying scum had most wins ever. Can the NCAA delete everything pre 1940? Scum would vanish.

Also love how nuss will be on the sideline because joke doesn't wear a head set. He's used to being in the box and now he has to baby sit.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 09/07/14, 05:01 pm

Stoops21 wrote:I love the tweets saying scum had most wins ever. Can the NCAA delete everything pre 1940? Scum would vanish.

Also love how nuss will be on the sideline because joke doesn't wear a head set. He's used to being in the box and now he has to baby sit.

If you want to have fun, read the mlive comments, there are 2-3 posters who have the um records cut-and-pasted and ready at the go, they put them in every comment section as an answer to any criticism of um.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 05:01 pm

Stoops21 wrote:I love the tweets saying scum had most wins ever. Can the NCAA delete everything pre 1940? Scum would vanish.

When the Pistons beat the Celtics back in the 80's I don't recall having to hear dumb responses like 'Celtics have the most wins ever'.

Same thing when the Tigers put out the Yankees in the playoffs not one Yankess fan said 'Yankees have the most wins ever' to me.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 09/07/14, 05:08 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Same thing when the Tigers put out the Yankees in the playoffs not one Yankess fan said 'Yankees have the most wins ever' to me.

You clearly don't know enough Yankee fans. Consider yourself lucky.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 09/07/14, 05:24 pm

CrazySparty wrote:

You clearly don't know enough Yankee fans. Consider yourself lucky.

Trust me I know a lot. I've been to probably 30 or so games in old Yankees stadium and rooted for the Tigers at least 2 times there. Never had a problem.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 09/07/14, 05:35 pm

steveschneider wrote:

5 isn't unreasonable. The rationale is.

MSU, WIsky, UNL, and OSU are all a given. Iowa will have a gaudy record, but I don't know how good they are. I would say Iowa/PSU/Michigan/IU/Maryland are all tier 3 in the big, and you could rank them in any order.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down