Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping the lion in the cage!

+16
SawGreen
I.B. Fine
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
The Pantry
MiamiSpartan
Heat Miser
Big Ten Referee
aualum06
Floyd Robertson
duffy munn
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
20 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Keeping the lion in the cage! - Page 5 Empty Re: Keeping the lion in the cage!

Post by kingstonlake Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:29

Heat Miser wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:
Can use the bathroom (#1)

Go for the Upper Decker!

I respect Mrs. Bob, Heat.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:34

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Let’s face it the Mark Dantonio era is over and it’s never going to return to glory.

Careful, Steve. Them are fighting words for some round these parts.
You and Steve being on the same page should be a warning. Keep being you. We're all laughing with you. Drink drink
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:40

17 points in three games in an era of unprecedented offense in college football. With a QB that went 10-3 and threw for 4000 yards as a sophomore
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:42

InTenSity wrote:

Careful, Steve. Them are fighting words for some round these parts.
You and Steve being on the same page should be a warning. Keep being you. We're all laughing with you. Drink drink

Yeah, no one else thinks Dantonio’s success here is done. Just Steve and myself... I will keep being me, and you will continue to follow my posts around. Keeping the lion in the cage! - Page 5 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:I never thought it would last forever. I never thought it would come crashing down this fast.

We seem to have different opinions on how long it took for the program to fall this far. To me, it’s been a painful couple of years, and if you toss in ‘16, well, there it is.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:45

[tw]1188238546483568640?s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:49

aualum06 wrote:[tw]1188238546483568640?s=19[/tw]

Keeping the lion in the cage! - Page 5 1966794946 He’s trolling at this point. Love it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:51

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I never thought it would last forever. I never thought it would come crashing down this fast.

We seem to have different opinions on how long it took for the program to fall this far. To me, it’s been a painful couple of years, and if you toss in ‘16, well, there it is.

Looks like '17 was the outlier and '16, '18 & '19 are the new normal. The D will surely take a step back in '20 and there's no reason not to expect more of the same from the O.

Pretty awesome 6 year run before that though.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:52

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Looks like '17 was the outlier and '16, '18 & '19 are the new normal. The D will surely take a step back in '20 and there's no reason not to expect more of the same from the O.

Yeah if you think this team is bad wait till next year
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:52

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Best six years most of us old guys have ever gone through as Spartan football fans. It really was a helluva ride.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:57

tGreenWay wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Best six years most of us old guys have ever gone through as Spartan football fans. It really was a helluva ride.

If I'm Coach D, I probably would be considering retirement after this season. Another year or 2 of mediocrity or worse would do some pretty serious damage to his legacy IMHO.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:58

I don’t even know what that means.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 20:59

kingstonlake wrote:

I don’t even know what that means.

If Captain Khaki Pants said something like that we'd all be laughing at him. Not a good sign.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:26

So who's on the short list if Dantonio sails off into the sunset? I don't think Fleck is going to leave Minny.

Fickell?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:So who's on the short list if Dantonio sails off into the sunset? I don't think Fleck is going to leave Minny.

Fickell?

Promote Tressel with the condition that he replace the O staff?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:36

Heat Miser wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:So who's on the short list if Dantonio sails off into the sunset? I don't think Fleck is going to leave Minny.

Fickell?

Earlier in the year I would have agreed with that. I don't like what I've seen beginning with the Indiana game, except for the 1st quarter of OSU.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Fickell?

Earlier in the year I would have agreed with that. I don't like what I've seen beginning with the Indiana game, except for the 1st quarter of OSU.

I don't think you can really judge the D anymore. You can't expect them to maintain intensity when they know the O isn't going to score.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:42

Heat Miser wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I don't think you can really judge the D anymore. You can't expect them to maintain intensity when they know the O isn't going to score.

That's fair. It's actually the IU game that bugged me the most on D. I don't think any adjustments were made after IU showed their game plan.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:50

Big Ten Referee wrote:8 quarters without a score should be enough to fire the entire staff.

Gotta can him if he tries to stick around for that January bonus. The longer he is here, the longer the program suffers.

Project much?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:53

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

18 was much better than 16. They shouldn't even be lumped together. Better to say that 16 was as much as an outlier as 17, just in a different direction. Say what you want about the offense last year, but the team never quit like they did in nearly every game in 16. If the last 3 games broke us, this could be more like 16. If not, more like 18. But I wouldn't lump 16 and 18 together either way.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 21:54

Fickell?

I will be shocked to see MSU go outside the family if Dantonio would resign and if he's gone after this season on his own volition.  Don't know if President Stanley wants to see AD Beekman making the hire.

If Dantonio resigns I can see MSU approaching Pat Narduzzi whose record at Pitt is very similar to Dantonio's when he was at Cincinnati.  Have no clue if Narduzzi would be interested. The more this team loses the more Tressel's chance to move to HC from DC shrinks.

My wish list would be younger guys (under 50)

Iowa State's Matt Campell but he comes with $7M buyout, $6M after Feb 1 2020  Campbell's salary is $3.5M/yr

Cinciinnat's Luke Fickell has a $2.5M buyout after 31Dec2019 and will be making $2.4M

There wll be several suitors for both and I have a hunch Fickell may want an Ohio State clause.

The MSU job isn't even a diamond on the rough right now.  Its just rough.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:00

I want Drew Stanton as OC. Duzzy of Fickel would be fine as HC.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

18 was much better than 16. They shouldn't even be lumped together. Better to say that 16 was as much as an outlier as 17, just in a different direction. Say what you want about the offense last year, but the team never quit like they did in nearly every game in 16. If the last 3 games broke us, this could be more like 16. If not, more like 18. But I wouldn't lump 16 and 18 together either way.

I lump them together in the "general mediocrity with the occasional total fail" sense.

Credit Coach D for raising the bar of expectations for MSU, but I'm starting to think this era has just run its course and needs to end before it becomes Perles 2.0.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:05

Just out of curiosity, what about Enos?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:08

Heat Miser wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
No, but perhaps it is more rational to try to identify why the meal is screwed up. Is it cook incompetence, low quality ingredients, bad recipes, etc?

As the customer, none of that shit is my problem. I'm paying for the product. If the product is not satisfactory, you either fix it or lose my business.

Thing is heat, most vocal people I know rarely buy the product in the first place. Maybe one home game, one bowl game then sit behind a keyboard and whine. I’m not saying they don’t have the right, they certainly do. But the people that matter will ultimately make the decision. In your example the restaurant wouldn’t much care if people that eat there once every other year say shit on a forum some where. But if the heavy patrons complain stop paying don’t come its different.

JLS got fired because of the OSU game. Dave Porteous called an impromptu and probably illegal meeting in the press box with LAKS present, saw the stadium full of buckeyes and said enough was enough.

Those were the big eaters. If Dantonio goes, retires, or is asked to leave, it won’t be the whiners on the internet that are rarely there, it will be the heavy donors and people with clout. There is always a breaking point with them. Maybe it was today. Maybe it will be on November 16. Maybe it won’t be anything this year. But there is always a point where it breaks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:08

I.B. Fine wrote:Just out of curiosity, what about Enos?

There are rumors of "bad blood" between Enos and Coach D. One would assume he'd get to at least bless his replacement if not name him, so Enos is doubtful.

Also, Enos hadn't really done anything to justify such a promotion.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:13

Heat Miser wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:Just out of curiosity, what about Enos?

There are rumors of "bad blood" between Enos and Coach D. One would assume he'd get to at least bless his replacement if not name him, so Enos is doubtful.

Also, Enos hadn't really done anything to justify such a promotion.
Thanks, good to know.
I hope MD decides to retire, he's done a lot for the school, but even he has to recognize the writing on the wall.....
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:14

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
No, but perhaps it is more rational to try to identify why the meal is screwed up. Is it cook incompetence, low quality ingredients, bad recipes, etc?

As the customer, none of that shit is my problem. I'm paying for the product. If the product is not satisfactory, you either fix it or lose my business.

Thing is heat, most vocal people I know rarely buy the product in the first place. Maybe one home game, one bowl game then sit behind a keyboard and whine. I’m not saying they don’t have the right, they certainly do. But the people that matter will ultimately make the decision. In your example the restaurant wouldn’t much care if people that eat there once every other year say shit on a forum some where. But if the heavy patrons complain stop paying don’t come its different.

JLS got fired because of the OSU game. Dave Porteous called an impromptu and probably illegal meeting in the press box with LAKS present, saw the stadium full of buckeyes and said enough was enough.

Those were the big eaters. If Dantonio goes, retires, or is asked to leave, it won’t be the whiners on the internet that are rarely there, it will be the heavy donors and people with clout. There is always a breaking point with them. Maybe it was today. Maybe it will be on November 16. Maybe it won’t be anything this year. But there is always a point where it breaks.

This is all known. But as you say, what drives the "big eaters" are empty seats. Empty seats are filled by a lot of once or twice a year attendees. The little eaters.

You can bet remaining home game Tix will be available on the interwebs for $10 and the stadium will still be largely empty.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:15

Bronco Mendenhal 
James Leonhard
Duzzi 
Justin Wilcox
Fleck
Sonny Dykes
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:24

kingstonlake wrote:Bronco Mendenhal 
James Leonhard
Duzzi 
Justin Wilcox
Fleck
Sonny Dykes

I only see Duzzi as a realistic fit out of those.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:24

kingstonlake wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Go for the Upper Decker!

I respect Mrs. Bob, Heat.
Keeping the lion in the cage! - Page 5 4113017228 Bob does all the cleaning.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:24

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

This is all known. But as you say, what drives the "big eaters" are empty seats. Empty seats are filled by a lot of once or twice a year attendees. The little eaters.

You can bet remaining home game Tix will be available on the interwebs for $10 and the stadium will still be largely empty.

True. But those tickets are already purchased from MSU. Secondary cheap tickets or expensive tickets don’t put any more or less money into an athletic department that pretty consistently is in the black. Next years orders will be a factor as well as heavy donors getting in the ear of the board the president and AD. Nobody we know and nobody anyone on the other board knows has any idea what those heavyweights are thinking. If we all want change, for whatever reason we want it, we hope they’re like minded. Who know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:28

Heat Miser wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Bronco Mendenhal 
James Leonhard
Duzzi 
Justin Wilcox
Fleck
Sonny Dykes

I only see Duzzi as a realistic fit out of those.

Yeah just spitballing names.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:29

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

True. But those tickets are already purchased from MSU. Secondary cheap tickets or expensive tickets don’t put any more or less money into an athletic department that pretty consistently is in the black. Next years orders will be a factor as well as heavy donors getting in the ear of the board the president and AD. Nobody we know and nobody anyone on the other board knows has any idea what those heavyweights are thinking. If we all want change, for whatever reason we want it, we hope they’re like minded. Who know.

I would prefer to not have change, but it's pretty clear something has gone missing...and it's not just the offense.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:40

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

I would prefer to not have change, but it's pretty clear something has gone missing...and it's not just the offense.

Cant disagree. Seems an edge has been lost. Hard to come up with an example of a coach recovering from that. I’d have to think for a bit. I hope it ends with the dignity he deserves.

You guys throwing out names is fun on a shitty night, but I hope a search is done with a thoroughness that brought Dantonio here. Us liking people that are working at other places doesn’t mean they’ll work here. Bringing up names that will use MSU as a stepping stone is fun but dumb too. Rodgers and Saban acquitted themselves well but set us back when they left. A guy like the Iowa State guy might be fun to throw out, but would he be here long? That can fuck up things too.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:49

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

Cant disagree. Seems an edge has been lost. Hard to come up with an example of a coach recovering from that. I’d have to think for a bit. I hope it ends with the dignity he deserves.

You guys throwing out names is fun on a shitty night, but I hope a search is done with a thoroughness that brought Dantonio here. Us liking people that are working at other places doesn’t mean they’ll work here. Bringing up names that will use MSU as a stepping stone is fun but dumb too. Rodgers and Saban acquitted themselves well but set us back when they left. A guy like the Iowa State guy might be fun to throw out, but would he be here long? That can fuck up things too.

Izzo being involved like last time would bring me comfort since we know nothing about the new pres and ad.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:50

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Cant disagree.  Seems an edge has been lost.  Hard to come up with an example of a coach recovering from that.  I’d have to think for a bit.   I hope it ends with the dignity he deserves.

You guys throwing out names is fun on a shitty night, but I hope a search is done with a thoroughness that brought Dantonio here.  Us liking people that are working at other places doesn’t mean they’ll work here. Bringing up names that will use MSU as a stepping stone is fun but dumb too.  Rodgers and Saban acquitted themselves well but set us back when they left.  A guy like the Iowa State guy might be fun to throw out, but would he be here long?   That can fuck up things too.

I don’t understand this line of thinking.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:51

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

Patterson at TCU has had us ups and downs. Also the last guy from VTech who's name I can't remember.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:54

It's all rather depressing. I don't want a return to mediocrity. Regularly contending for championships is kinda fun.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 22:59

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

Cant disagree.  Seems an edge has been lost.  Hard to come up with an example of a coach recovering from that.  I’d have to think for a bit.   I hope it ends with the dignity he deserves.

You guys throwing out names is fun on a shitty night, but I hope a search is done with a thoroughness that brought Dantonio here.  Us liking people that are working at other places doesn’t mean they’ll work here. Bringing up names that will use MSU as a stepping stone is fun but dumb too.  Rodgers and Saban acquitted themselves well but set us back when they left.  A guy like the Iowa State guy might be fun to throw out, but would he be here long?   That can fuck up things too.

I don’t understand this line of thinking.

Not trying to convince you of anything. Not saying Chip Kelly cant make it work at UCLA like he did at Oregon, but I’m still waiting Rich Rod ever worked out at Michigan but he was a play away from a NC at WV. Saban worked at LSU and Bama but the MSU culture maybe kept him from succeeding here.

Hell, maybe a successful coach at one school brings it here too. I hope it happens if we lose coach D. But I don’t know that a popular name automatically duplicates it at other places. It takes cool heads and thoughtful interviews.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next