Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long.

+8
NigelUno
By-Tor
duffy munn
Nordic
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
Heat Miser
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long. Empty Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long.

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:50 am

I'll start this by saying I am not an alarmist nor do I ever advocate throwing shit out on the internet to get people's goats,  who are having a hard time with a loss.  We know the people who do that, and well, whatever, they are so living vicariously through a sports team that they take their anger out on the internet.  Good for them.  Better that then something else.  
Anyway.  The blocked field goal.  

I can't tell you how simple it is to block from the center to the tackles.  You spend maybe 10 minutes a day on it.  You quiz your kids maybe two days before the game.  You go over when they're running out there, what the call sequence will be and you have them line up, and rote memory the hell out of it.  ITS FUCKING EASY and all it takes is reps. Like teaching a kid to walk.  I could take a 270 to 300 LB h.s. kid and teach them in a day enough to keep aggressive college kids off the ball from tackle to tackle, from there out, it's different, but that's not what I'm talking about.  

So:  Here's the technique:

1.  Guards and tackles have the same damn responsibility.  It's this easy.take a six-inch jab step with the inside foot. Not a big step, just a fucking small jab step, sideways and a bit backwards.  That's done at the snap of the ball.  Simple. You then have interlocked your leg with the guy next to you.  You then brace with your back foot and you reach down and quickly, you bring your inside arm up and and give the lineman over you and upper cut just below his inside shoulder like you want to separate his arm from the rotator cuff.  That's it.  Think about what you have to teach a kid. A. Snap  B.  Jab Step inside and back.  C.  Brace back foot  D. Upper cut like a mother fucker.  

Mind you, the ball is already back there and being held and the leg is swinging while you're probably on C.   definitely by D.  It's not complicated.  

If I gave you Mustafa Khaleefah as an inside lineman to teach, ten  minutes daily and he's been lifting and is strong and is 6'5" 305, could you make that work from tackle to tackle?  

Where is this fucked up if it goes wrong?  Practice?  Repitition, dumb ass player that is out there in a crucial moment but not focusing on a dance step that takes 1.5 seconds?  What is it that a guy forgets and doesn't give a shit enough to do this?  How does that happen?

Is it coaching?  We don't know, these coaches might go over this shit 15 minutes daily, might quiz them on it, might make them know the tight end assignments on it.  who knows.  Not throwing anyone under the bus.  But the kid that blocked the field goal, did it with his head.  HIS FUCKING HEAD not hand.  Go back and look at it.  He was so far inside on our guy, by the time the ball was put down it was over.  I mean Mustafa looked surprised.  You can take a slow kid and have him do A-B-C-D on snap.  

There is something up.  I don't know if it's fixable.  I think it is.  It starts with leadership and it's not just the coaches.  It's the players. Who is going to hold their team mate responsible.  This team does not want to win very badly.  How is that fixed. If you are messing up on a simple assignment, what is going on with our backs, WR's?  Qb's?   Coaches?  

It was a big play and it would have kept us in the game and changed thought patternes.  

Sorry it's this long.  I'd love to know the answers. I'd ask  Dantonio, "If linemen are messing up what might be their easiest assingment, are they prepared for blitzes, for stunts?   How does that happen.

Vent over, thanks for reading it if you did all the way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long. Empty Re: Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long.

Post by Heat Miser Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:24 am

Throw in the dumb ass penalties and you're on to something. It's pretty clear that something is missing. Complacency? The attention to detail seems to just not be there anymore. And that's on the coaches. It's not talent and injuries. It's coaching.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long. Empty Re: Here's what alarmed me and made me sit right the hell up and say, "there is something wrong that goes way deeper than talent" this is a bit long.

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:33 am

Heat Miser wrote:Throw in the dumb ass penalties and you're on to something. It's pretty clear that something is missing. Complacency? The attention to detail seems to just not be there anymore. And that's on the coaches. It's not talent and injuries. It's coaching.

It very well could be. I don't know. the 13, 14, 15 teams, held each other accountable. It takes special kids to do that. In my example, I don't know if the coaches go over this shit ten 15 20 minutes daily, weekly, whatever. But for a play that takes 1.5 seconds to snap and kick before the ref blows his whistle to have players stop, it's fucking amazing that that could happen. I sear to god, a teammate or a coach should have met the kid on the field. I don't get it. Just casually ran to the ball that was downed and then everybody just jogged off. Coaches need to be lucky and have players that keep and hold each other responsible. could very well be coaching, but where are the seniors on this team asking a sophomore WTF is wrong with you? Maybe they are doing that too. But if simple plays are fucked up, I'm thinking it's a feeling in practice we don't have to attend to detail. That's not only a coaching problem, but it's a player problem.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:45 am

The players on the roster are ultimately the responsibility of the coaches who recruited them. If they recruited a bunch of meatheads, that's on them.

Maybe they got lucky with those 2 star NFL guys rather than it being an eye for talent. Maybe that luck has run out.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 am

Heat Miser wrote:The players on the roster are ultimately the responsibility of the coaches who recruited them. If they recruited a bunch of meatheads, that's on them.

Maybe they got lucky with those 2 star NFL guys rather than it being an eye for talent. Maybe that luck has run out.

I don’t follow recruiting at al but I wonder if what ever evaluation model we had at one point if the secret is out and those kids are getting better offers now? Kind of reminds me of Joe Dumars. Dude pulled together unbelievable teams and everyone was like where the fuck did he find these guys. At he end it was clear he had lost it and he was taking chances on diamonds in the rough that would never turn out to be superstars. Another thought I wonder if the game has just evolved beyond the type of players these guys wanted to play? The nba was moving more towards offense and freedom of movement. For NCAA Tressel Ball is painful to watch and I dont think it’s going to get it done in the modern era Also, I watched a bit of Pitt yesterday. Sign me up for Nadduzzi. Yeah, I know they lost but his team looked like they were playing hard, they were moving the ball well from what I saw and I think he’s our best bet to restore the glory. I think he’s doing about as good a job as someone can do at Pitt.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:11 am

It is definitely a legitimate question about whether it is the development once on campus that isn't the same, or if the players that are brought in are less developable (whether that be mentally physically). And if it is the latter, is it that other schools are identifying the under the radar guys better and therefore we face more competition, or are we doing a poorer job of identifying those that we can work with? Something changed, and it is rather baffling.

Maybe the coaches sold their souls with the 2016 class. All the hype over them, and their arrogant bravado on social media was so counter to MD's style over the previous decade. Did they start to see the skill levels that 2013-2015 was now allowing them to get and lose sight of the type of guys that got them there in the first place? And did that have repercussions in later classes? It didnt look like it when we won 10 games in 2017, but maybe that year gave the coaches a false sense of what was still being built? Who knows, just spitballing.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:18 am

Heat Miser wrote:The players on the roster are ultimately the responsibility of the coaches who recruited them. If they recruited a bunch of meatheads, that's on them.

You're not going to get much argument from me if you think he's lost his touch and we need to move on. But to suggest that 100+ wins, 3 BIG Titles, 3 trips to Indy, Rose Bowl W, Cotton Bowl W and a trip to the CFP was luck is fucking absurd.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 am

Nordic wrote:

You're not going to get much argument from me if you think he's lost his touch and we need to move on. But to suggest that 100+ wins, 3 BIG Titles, 3 trips to Indy, Rose Bowl W, Cotton Bowl W and a trip to the CFP was luck is fucking absurd.

This. The worst part of what is happening now are the people that want to say what Coach D has accomplished is some sort of fluke. It's nonsense.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am

Lots of happy go lucky kids walking off the field, high fiving each other after the game yesterday. Little energy on the sidelines especially from the coaches. Complacency seems right. Watching other teams sidelines around college football and the coaching energy is felt through the TV. We had that with Narduzzi. The energy and willing to compete is long gone in East Lansing
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:54 am

Not even sure why we attempted that FG.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Yeah, we got an amazing run out of Coach D. Unbelievable. Rolling out of the Williams and JLS eras of someone on paper showed us all we’d get for the next 12 years including the 3 win, six win seasons we’d all sign up for it in a heartbeat. This season sucks but when looking at the big picture of what Coach d has a accomplished it takes away the sting a bit from this rough stretch of games.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:17 pm

You spelled "Repitition" wrong. Which means I read the post with great attention.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:18 pm

steveschneider wrote:

I don’t follow recruiting at al but I wonder if what ever evaluation model we had at one point if the secret is out and those kids are getting better offers now? Kind of reminds me of Joe Dumars. Dude pulled together unbelievable teams and everyone was like where the fuck did he find these guys. At he end it was clear he had lost it and he was taking chances on diamonds in the rough that would never turn out to be superstars. Another thought I wonder if the game has just evolved beyond the type of players these guys wanted to play? The nba was moving more towards offense and freedom of movement. For NCAA Tressel Ball is painful to watch and I dont think it’s going to get it done in the modern era Also, I watched a bit of Pitt yesterday. Sign me up for Nadduzzi. Yeah, I know they lost but his team looked like they were playing hard, they were moving the ball well from what I saw and I think he’s our best bet to restore the glory. I think he’s doing about as good a job as someone can do at Pitt.

Tressel ball pretty much buried Notre Dame last night.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That was in a hurricane for 3/4 quarters.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:25 pm

I don’t have the experiences DWags has had coaching.  

Maybe it’s over-simplification but I think the poor play DWags pointed out, the slow learning curve and penalties have its genesis from Blackwell’s arrival and the messes that have ensued.

MSU isn’t getting some of the talent it has gotten in the past.  That’s two-fold.  Other schools have wised up and learned they needed to pay more attention to players Dantonio’s  staff is recruiting so players like Cook, Cousins, Cunningham are getting more looks, more offers.  

Secondly is Winter 2016 mess with the 3 players video of their sex acts, Robertson’s arrest, the court cases including Blackwell’s new look at me lawsuit has had a corrosive effect on recruiting.  There are recruits rated from 3* to 5* and the arrests and ensuing press coverage has given parents, coaches and advisors 2nd thoughts about Dantonio’s ability to treat their sons like family.  You also know competing coaching staffs are addressing their concerns.  Some sympathetically others with glee.

Bottom line Dantonio is getting players who may not be as talented and with the new transfer rules malcontents have spring, fall practices plus 3-4 games to stir the pot in the locker room.    It shows up on the field.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:27 pm

We’re 24-23 in our last 47 games.

I don’t have any insightful football knowledge or even a really good opinion of what we should do about that.

Though I also don’t think this is 2016 where the “oh this is a flash in the pan year look at the last 5 before this!” Argument holds a ton of water anymore.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
DWags wrote:

Wait, the rain effected the blocking scheme Notre Dame didn’t have an answer for? That was a hell of a display by Michigan’s team in blocking at point of attack and blocking down field. Staying on the ground and using the pass when needed. You’d think the great Brian Kelly would have figured the weather into a defensive game plan.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:10 pm

And to Those of you who have the ability to keep a healthy perspective when we’re in the rose bowl and when we’re a below average team, ( which I believe are most on thls board. It’s why I love this board), I know and appreciate what CMD did at MSU. We were six phony interference penalties away from playing for a NC, which is just crazy. There isn’t a coach in football, in my mind that could take MSU to those heights considering our 4 decade prior history. It wasn’t luck, it was grinding. Every day. It was keeping yourself and your co worker accountable. That attitude seemed to spread down to kids on the team. Max Bullough partied but he was a film room geek. So was Cousins. So was our Roaebowl fullback from Kentucky (name slips me). But he would always insist on taking the tight end test on Thursday night along with the fullback quiz. Narduzzi would tweet out “Friday night family movie, I’m making popcorn it’s called Indiana offense, get your ass up here now”.

Does that edge still exist? I have no idea. I’m not saying it doesn’t but I’d bet a donut to a dollar the linemen on those teams don’t miss an assignment like the one I saw yesterday. We’re kicks blocked? I’m guessing yes, but I bet it wasn’t in that manner. PSU converted on third and long’s in three touchdown drives. Had we just stopped two of them it’s a different game.

I don’t know if it’s fixable. If I had to pick a guy to fix it, I’d love to pick 2007 Mark Dantonio. I believe that guy still exists in him but I don’t know how many factors are involved.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Wait, the rain effected the blocking scheme Notre Dame didn’t have an answer for? That was a hell of a display by Michigan’s team in blocking at point of attack and blocking down field. Staying on the ground and using the pass when needed. You’d think the great Brian Kelly would have figured the weather into a defensive game plan.

BK has never been good making decisions involving weather.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:02 pm

How good of a recruiter was Enos? Narduzzi? Barnett? I think we lost our best members of the staff and failed to sustain that level of coaching.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 pm

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

BK has never been good making decisions involving weather.

Ouch.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm

So I see Bennie Fowler is still catching passes on Sundays. He was a pretty decent player on the Rose Bowl team but nothing spectacular. This year we are targeting Sowards several times in big games. The drop off at WR is staggering.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down