Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask)

+26
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
Dendrobates
AvgMSUJoe
SeeRockCity
Wally Fairway
I.B. Fine
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
MSU addict
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
gomersbro
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Nordic
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
TheReal_LWS
Rocinante
30 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 Empty Re: Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask)

Post by kingstonlake Fri 7 Dec 2018 - 6:26

Jake from State Farm wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

I think I would rather invest in ornamental eggplant pumpkins. They seem to hold their value longer.

The cost to mine BTC is now higher than the value of BTC. Good luck sustaining that.

What does that mean in English
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 Empty Re: Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask)

Post by DWags Fri 7 Dec 2018 - 6:28

kingstonlake wrote:

The cost to mine BTC is now higher than the value of BTC. Good luck sustaining that.

Don’t buy it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri 7 Dec 2018 - 6:32

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Don’t buy it.

Lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 7 Dec 2018 - 8:34

kingstonlake wrote:

Basically you can create your own bitcoin with enough computing power. The electricity needed is hefty.

https://www.bitcoinmining.com/
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 19:08

Why do people never remember PT Barnum.

From the Link:
In the great Bitcoin bubble of late 2017, the honor goes to John McAfee, founder of computer security company McAfee LLC, and passionate cryptocurrency evangelist. On Dec 7, 2017, he wrote:

Bitcoin now at $16,600.00. Those of you in the old school who believe this is a bubble simply have not understood the new mathematics of the Blockchain, or you did not cared enough to try. Bubbles are mathematically impossible in this new paradigm. So are corrections and all else pic.twitter.com/go9v0w92zk
— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) December 8, 2017

A few days later, Bitcoin’s price briefly peaked at $19,511, before it began an epic plunge that would see the original cryptocurrency lose approximately 82 percent of that value as of the writing of this column. (12/11/18)

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-11/yep-bitcoin-was-a-bubble-and-it-popped
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 19:46

I wish we could somehow bring Ty back for this thread only so we could laugh at him some more.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 20:28

I posted this in the long reads thread, it is kind of bizarre:

Bath Salts to Bitcoin - John McAfee's Bizarre Crypto Hustle
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 21:44

MSU addict wrote:I posted this in the long reads thread, it is kind of bizarre:

This is EXACTLY how I see Travis' reign as GM CEO going.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 22:17

Nordic wrote:
MSU addict wrote:I posted this in the long reads thread, it is kind of bizarre:

This is EXACTLY how I see Travis' reign as GM CEO going.
Reign. Interesting term you use.

I guess it makes sense given that you bow down to your corporate overlords like a good little pawn. Come. Beg for scraps Nordic. No. Beg better.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 22:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I wish we could somehow bring Ty back for this thread only so we could laugh at him some more.
Made peace with Ty via third party PMs. Far as I'm concerned he can be unbanned.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 9 Jan 2019 - 11:24

Well this wasn't supposed to be able to happen....

Almost $500,000 in Ethereum Classic coin stolen by forking its blockchain

Never let your blockchain get forked.

The heist was the result of carrying out what's known as a rollback attack, which allowed the attackers to reorganize the Ethereum Classic blockchain, Coinbase security engineer Mark Nesbitt said in a blog post. From there, the attackers were able to "double spend" about 88,500 ETC, meaning they were able to recover previously spent coins and transfer them to a new entity. As a result, the coins were effectively transferred from the rightful recipients to new entities chosen by the attackers.

"We observed repeated deep reorganizations of the Ethereum Classic blockchain, most of which contained double spends," Nesbitt wrote. "The total value of the double spends that we have observed thus far is 88,500 ETC (~$460,000)."

Rollback attacks are often referred to as 51-percent attacks, because, in theory, they require an attacker to control a majority of the CPU power generating a blockchain. Such an arrangement violates a core requirement of any blockchain-based currency: it allows a single entity to write the contents of its universal shared transaction history.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 18:31

Down side of crypto currency-Guy dies and no one knows the passwords! $190 mill in oblivion.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/cryptocurrency-exchange-chief-dies-with-passwords-needed-to-unlock-customers-190m-reports-say
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:51

I.B. Fine wrote:Down side of crypto currency-Guy dies and no one knows the passwords! $190 mill in oblivion.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/cryptocurrency-exchange-chief-dies-with-passwords-needed-to-unlock-customers-190m-reports-say

Oops.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:54

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:Down side of crypto currency-Guy dies and no one knows the passwords! $190 mill in oblivion.

Oops.

That's the password.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 5 Feb 2019 - 9:42

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Let's check here... The last time I bought any Bitcoin was the day after Christmas last year. The price then was $2379.55. As of today that same investment is worth $544.18.

Thanks a lot Ty.

Now worth $361.27. WASA WASA WASA WASA WASUUUUUUUUUUP????
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 5 Feb 2019 - 11:16

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Let's check here... The last time I bought any Bitcoin was the day after Christmas last year. The price then was $2379.55. As of today that same investment is worth $544.18.

Thanks a lot Ty.

Just looked up the price of BTC, it is $3416. You forget a decimal point bro? Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 2599972566
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 5 Feb 2019 - 11:41

Nordic wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Just looked up the price of BTC, it is $3416. You forget a decimal point bro? Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 2599972566

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBTC/

I bought into this so I could dink around with Bitcoin only using my IRA. Also, a bit of context, GBTC split 91 times back in early 2018. Now I have 91 shares of this turd at $3.90 and dropping.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Sat 23 Feb 2019 - 15:23

The rebound is underway.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 23 Feb 2019 - 16:47

The Coca Cola stock I bought last year did great for me. Bought more on the recent dip. $$$$
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Sat 23 Feb 2019 - 17:13

I don't trust it as an investment. It's real handy for gambling activities though
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Wed 3 Apr 2019 - 15:41

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I bought into this so I could dink around with Bitcoin only using my IRA. Also, a bit of context, GBTC split 91 times back in early 2018. Now I have 91 shares of this turd at $3.90 and dropping.
Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 2943907172

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 3493939353
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 3 Apr 2019 - 15:54

KO paid out it's dividend this week. Looked at my account and had some cash in there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 3 Apr 2019 - 18:29

Wally Fairway wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 2943907172

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 3493939353

It's going parabolic Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 1550444538
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 3 Apr 2019 - 18:54

Nordic wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:

It's going parabolic Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 1550444538

Looooong way to go to break even, but this is the first positive movement I've seen since two Christmas's ago.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 3 Apr 2019 - 22:24

Maybe you guys are much more financially literate than I. It wouldn’t be a surprise. I just don’t understand the commoditization of something that is entirely made up. Like I get that money is made up and it’s value is based on an agreed upon number. But money isn’t a commodity. It’s money. Gold is a commodity. Wheat is a commodity. Crypto currencies are... not a commodity. You can’t use them for anything except buying stuff and only if the sucker you’re trading them to thinks they’re worth something. You can eat wheat, you can make electronic components with gold. What can you do with bitcoin?

Yes I’m dumb.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 8:16

Simple answer: Not much. There are a few Subways around that accept Bitcoin, along with a few other restaurants or retail chains that I can't think of right now. The crazy run up and subsequent selloff back in 2017/2018 just showed to most people that it's way too volatile to accept as a legitimate currency.

I got super lucky when I bought into bitcoin back in October of '17. I got to ride a PARABOLIC roller coaster up to the peak and I sold off most of my assets at the end of the year of '17. This little chunk I held onto it just for shits and giggles really.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 9:15

steveschneider wrote:KO paid out it's dividend this week. Looked at my account and had some cash in there.

You should be able to set up your account so that dividends are automatically used to purchase additional shares.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 9:27

Rocinante wrote:Maybe you guys are much more financially literate than I.  It wouldn’t be a surprise.   I just don’t understand the commoditization of something that is entirely made up.  Like I get that money is made up and it’s value is based on an agreed upon number. But money isn’t a commodity.  It’s money.  Gold is a commodity.  Wheat is a commodity.  Crypto currencies are... not a commodity.  You can’t use them for anything except buying stuff and only if the sucker you’re trading them to thinks they’re worth something.  You can eat wheat, you can make electronic components with gold.  What can you do with bitcoin?

Yes I’m dumb.  

Isn't it basically like the old concept of traveler's checks?  A surrogate for cash in markets with particular dynamics.  So, the more popular it gets, ironically, the less valuable it becomes until its just another way to pay for something and is worth exactly face value.

Full disclosure, I am also dumb as it clearly states in my charms.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 9:29

The Pantry wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I wish we could somehow bring Ty back for this thread only so we could laugh at him some more.
Made peace with Ty via third party PMs. Far as I'm concerned he can be unbanned.

What happened with tTy?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 10:31

Rocinante wrote:Maybe you guys are much more financially literate than I. It wouldn’t be a surprise. I just don’t understand the commoditization of something that is entirely made up. Like I get that money is made up and it’s value is based on an agreed upon number. But money isn’t a commodity. It’s money. Gold is a commodity. Wheat is a commodity. Crypto currencies are... not a commodity. You can’t use them for anything except buying stuff and only if the sucker you’re trading them to thinks they’re worth something. You can eat wheat, you can make electronic components with gold. What can you do with bitcoin?

Yes I’m dumb.

People trade currencies all the time. Their values fluctuate and there are open exchanges where you can make these trades.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 10:37

steveschneider wrote:KO paid out it's dividend this week. Looked at my account and had some cash in there.

You should be able to set up your account so that dividends are automatically used to purchase additional shares.

Yeah, I like holding the cash and either buying other equities or adding more shares. I watch KO and a list of about 20 stocks and I try to buy in on pull backs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 10:51

SeeRockCity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Made peace with Ty via third party PMs. Far as I'm concerned he can be unbanned.

What happened with tTy?

Last thing he did was finding out people's real names and bringing them up here. Also a lot of homophobic slurs. Pretty much whenever he was drunk it was a sloppy shitshow with him.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 11:03

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Made peace with Ty via third party PMs. Far as I'm concerned he can be unbanned.

What happened with tTy?

Last thing he did was finding out people's real names and bringing them up here. Also a lot of homophobic slurs. Pretty much whenever he was drunk it was a sloppy shitshow with him.

Ah, yeah. Doxing is an instant permaban. Thanks
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 11:34

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 Gbtc10

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 4 Apr 2019 - 11:38

SQ is a fun stock. Every time it goes down around 74 I buy some. I've picked it up around 73 and change and dumped it for 76 or 77 dollars. These moves happen frequently and I can net 3-400 bucks often.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 9:29

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 Captur12

Buy up pussies!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 23 Apr 2019 - 14:18

Introducing Ethereum (Bitcoin but better...or worse...depends on who you ask) - Page 2 Captur13

It's not parabolic but it's been a good month.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 23 Apr 2019 - 15:16

KO is back in the 48s. If it gets in the 49s will sell and then buy back in on the dip.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 7:59

Yay for digital money.

[tw]1121382827742961665[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 25 Apr 2019 - 8:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:Yay for digital money.

[tw]1121382827742961665[/tw]

There is no way this shit goes mainstream until it gets a lot more secure, which will probably be never. Sorry Ty.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next