Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol

+11
Turtleneck
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Banks2Mason
duffy munn
15 posters

Go down

Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol Empty Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol

Post by duffy munn Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 12:48

Per Solari at today's Coach D presser.

Wow.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol Empty Re: Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol

Post by Banks2Mason Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 12:56

Hoke'd
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol Empty Re: Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol

Post by duffy munn Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 13:07

Banks2Mason wrote:Hoke'd

I hate agreeing with this.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 13:11

What a nightmare.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 13:13

steveschneider wrote:What a nightmare.

the video is worse. just horribly negligent.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 13:58

MSU really loves paying out millions.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:42

Did he have a concussion?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:43

I bet Lavigne and Murphy are at the keyboards typing up an article to slam MSU.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:49

So, uh, what? Anyone have more info?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:56

MiamiSpartan wrote:Did he have a concussion?

Kinda difficult to know if nobody checked
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:00

duffy munn wrote:Per Solari at today's Coach D presser.

Wow.

I could be wrong, but I think the concussion protocol refers to what happens after you are diagnosed (with a concussion).

Anyone have video?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:03

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Per Solari at today's Coach D presser.

Wow.

I could be wrong, but I think the concussion protocol refers to what happens after you are diagnosed (with a concussion).

Anyone have video?

No video but the kid got rocked in the head and stayed down. White was waving for the trainers. This is inexcusable.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:09

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Anyone have video?

No video but the kid got rocked in the head and stayed down. White was waving for the trainers. This is inexcusable.

In the era of chronic traumatic encephalopathy I couldn't agree more.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:38

If Dantonio didn’t initially see what happened, it can be explained.

Why none of the athletic training staff on the sidelines saw the incident and began concussion protocol shouldn’t happen.

I have been reticent to call for any changes.  This is a sign the wheels are falling off on the field, in the coaches box  where the OC and DC box view the game and now the training staff.  Too much bad stuff happening all at the same time.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:39

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Anyone have video?

I didn't see the play.  

Comp said Sally checked him out when he came to the sideline.  Comp also said he heard Thorne was going in (if Lewerke was out).

I thought there was supposed to be somebody in the press box that called down when stuff like this happened. An independent person maybe?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:52

hope he’s ok and hope that’s the last straw with this staff
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:53

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I didn't see the play.  

Comp said Sally checked him out when he came to the sideline.  Comp also said he heard Thorne was going in (if Lewerke was out).

I thought there was supposed to be somebody in the press box that called down when stuff like this happened. An independent person maybe?

It doesn't really matter who fucked this up. It's still fucked up.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 15:55

Jesus. We have the worse fan base in America. Not second, not top five, the worse.

we have a bad football team. We have lost games, maybe the locker room probably some recruits, and definitely some fair weather fans. Cool, absolutely all of our rights to jump ship now. I personally think he's retiring, but that's not good enough for the blood thirsty, "I'm an MSU fan if we win, but let me tell you how many ways we suck when we lose" fans. Fire him now. Here's a chance, look at what he did! Look at the negligence involved.

Bull shit. I don't know if he had a concussion or not. I believe every precaution should be taken when it comes to this sport and I have no doubt everyone on this board would have taken him out if you were the coach and saw that. I have zero doubt because I have grown to respect all or most of the people on this board, and truly believe for the most part everyone has a healthy relationship between winning games and wanting to kick your grandma in the nuts when we lose. It's why I love this board. Anyway, I won't rant anymore.

But if it's possible can you show me where you wanted Dantonio fired for this? I don't recall anybody wanting him fired. I do recall many coming to his aid and believing he did the right thing here. So, I apologize to any of you who called for his head, or were afraid of being sued or comparing him to Hoke. I have no doubt you did. And I hope it now doesn't have to do with the shit seasons we've been through.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 16:44

duffy munn wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Did he have a concussion?

Kinda difficult to know if nobody checked
Doctors can determine if a concussion was had several days after the fact.

Also, other than one player who waved for the staff before Lewerke told him he was fine, we don't have a single report of anyone noticing anything off about him. I'm not talking throwing that INT, I'm talking about him forgetting things, being off balance, etc. (i.e., actual signs of a concussion). I believe that part of the NCAA guidelines also give officials the ability/responsibility to stop the game if they notice something. They didn't. No one on the sidelines noticed anything. No one since has noticed anything.

FTR, I believe that there should be an official timeout after anything that appears to be a significant blow to the head (obviously, this has to be to the discretion of the officials as there are blows to the head to some extent on every play). I'm just saying that maybe he didn't have any actual concussion symptoms to people that were on the ground near him. Not everything is a scandal.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 16:54

I know little of what the "protocol" is, but even my daughter had to do a baseline thing every August. You sit at a computer and I guess you answer questions. Like you need to recognize wiggly lines shaped in certain ways from one frame to the next. Then you need to press colors they might want you to press red, but the red color is spelled "blue" on the screen or the blue color is spelled green. Then number games and whatever. if she were home I'd ask her again. Anyway, I laughed at her having to take it, she said one girl fell off a mount once and was concussed and she had to do the computer thing till she was 85% as accurate as she was when she first took it. I've said I'm a horrible father cause I only half pay attention to those stories, but I know it's something like that.

So, long story short, all they need to do is throw Lewerke in front of a computer this week and have him do that. If thats how they do it in the first place.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd get a bunch wrong on purpose in August. Just in case. I don't know if they have built in things that know you're cheating it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 16:56

Not sure if this helps. Don't really know the details. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/concussion-diagnosis-and-management-best-practices
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:10

I’m always an MSU fan, DWags. Thick and thin. Sometimes, very, very thin. At the same time I’m not calling for MD’s head, somebody, maybe several somebodies, screwed up. It seems to be a university-wide theme, and I’m so disgusted by it all. But I love my school, am wearing a Spartan shirt right now, and most of my casual wardrobe is green.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:18

Saw the video. He took a knee to the head. He did sort of appear to go limp just for a frame or two. The ball kind of fell out of his hand and he didn't even seem to know it.

Clearly he should've been checked out, at least. Something about the staff just doesn't seem right. I'm not screeching and calling for heads.. just a feeling that I have... there will be changes made. How big the changes will be remains to be seen.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:18; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:18

DWags wrote:I know little of what the "protocol" is, but even my daughter had to do a baseline thing every August. You sit at a computer and I guess you answer questions. Like you need to recognize wiggly lines shaped in certain ways from one frame to the next. Then you need to press colors they might want you to press red, but the red color is spelled "blue" on the screen or the blue color is spelled green. Then number games and whatever. if she were home I'd ask her again. Anyway, I laughed at her having to take it, she said one girl fell off a mount once and was concussed and she had to do the computer thing till she was 85% as accurate as she was when she first took it. I've said I'm a horrible father cause I only half pay attention to those stories, but I know it's something like that.

So, long story short, all they need to do is throw Lewerke in front of a computer this week and have him do that. If thats how they do it in the first place.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd get a bunch wrong on purpose in August. Just in case. I don't know if they have built in things that know you're cheating it.

If he had a concussion and play wasn't stopped, I blame the woman ref.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:24

tGreenWay wrote:I’m always an MSU fan, DWags. Thick and thin. Sometimes, very, very thin. At the same time I’m not calling for MD’s head, somebody, maybe several somebodies, screwed up. It seems to be a university-wide theme, and I’m so disgusted by it all. But I love my school, am wearing a Spartan shirt right now, and most of my casual wardrobe is green.
Why do you think someone screwed up? That assumes that he was, at the very least, exhibiting the signs/symptoms of a concussion that those people are trained to recognize (including the officials, who I only mention because they're a neutral party).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:41

tGreenWay wrote:I’m always an MSU fan, DWags. Thick and thin. Sometimes, very, very thin. At the same time I’m not calling for MD’s head, somebody, maybe several somebodies, screwed up. It seems to be a university-wide theme, and I’m so disgusted by it all. But I love my school, am wearing a Spartan shirt right now, and most of my casual wardrobe is green.

I get it. But I want somebody to explain why we didn’t get this way when Gholston was clearly knocked out. Lewerke was not anywhere near as obvious. And what I’m saying is that the vast majority of the big time followers defended him, defended Dantonio, defended MSU. And it would be very weak to say we weren’t as aware of concussions then, because the board was lit with people backing MSU and Dantonio. I’m only pointing that out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 17:57

DWags wrote:

I get it. But I want somebody to explain why we didn’t get this way when Gholston was clearly knocked out. Lewerke was not anywhere near as obvious. And what I’m saying is that the vast majority of the big time followers defended him, defended Dantonio, defended MSU. And it would be very weak to say we weren’t as aware of concussions then, because the board was lit with people backing MSU and Dantonio. I’m only pointing that out.

And seems like a bunch of safety measures were implemented after that (and after the Shane Morris thing at UM). I'm not excusing anyone, but if it was missed...it was missed by a lot of people (Coaches, refs, trainers, medical staff). Comp said Sally checked him out on the sideline and he was OK, so he went back in. Lewerke didn't go through concussion protocol 2599972566

He didn't seem to be concussed post-game.

I think the trainers take their jobs pretty seriously. They have autonomy. I doubt they'd just let him go back in without some protocol being followed (at least on the sideline).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 18:03

I’m not calling for Dantonio’s job but it’s a bad look for the football program that’s already under a media microscope.

Dantonio has to be careful with the media questions about injuries because of HIPA rules that also apply to players. An explanation that Nogle checked Lewerke and he can’t comment further may have been a better response.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 18:06

DWags wrote:

Why? Because we were winning ten, eleven, twelve games. Now that we're only winning maybe at a .500 level there's plenty of people out for blood and are taking anything to get a new coach.

For all I know the majority of the posters calling for a firing are scum fans and have wanted Dantonio gone ever since he started kicking scum ass on an annual basis.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 18:23

I want to be clear here. I am not talking about MSU handling it. I’m talking about what I see as a difference in response by us. That’s my point.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 19:27

[tw]1194410578263101440[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 19:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1194410578263101440[/tw]

Is that Stormy Daniels' attorney?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 23:10

Well. Solid freakout while it lasted.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 13 Nov 2019 - 6:29

I'm sorry, but it is hard to believe this when it doesn't jive with the pretend doctors here and elsewhere on the internet.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 13 Nov 2019 - 7:50

Fire everyone!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 13 Nov 2019 - 8:45

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I'm sorry, but it is hard to believe this when it doesn't jive with the pretend doctors here and elsewhere on the internet.

Guilty. I should have waited for more information before reacting. I'm glad Lewerke is ok.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 13 Nov 2019 - 9:11

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Fire everyone!

This!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down