Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting.

+12
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
By-Tor
Heat Miser
Wally Fairway
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
DWags
16 posters

Go down

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. Empty Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting.

Post by DWags Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:59 am

Here is a difference Steve perhaps was talking about earlier this week. We won't match it, yet we will want results. We want better assistants, but please do it for this amount.

We either collectively say we need to be top 10 or top 5 in spending or collectively say this is what we'll give, adn the occasional entrance into the top 10 and decent season is all we really want.

In the Harbaugh era, Michigan has spent a total of $4.7 million on recruiting while MSU has spent $2.9 million, according to Michigan and MSU athletic financial records obtained by MLive through the Freedom of Information Act. The result? Three top-10 recruiting classes for Harbaugh, compared to zero for MSU coach Mark Dantonio. The Spartans’ highest-ranked recruiting class was the 2016 group that included four-star players Donnie Corley and Josh King, both of whom were dismissed from the program amid criminal seduction charges, and Auston Robertson, who took a plea deal in 2018 while facing sexual assault charges and was also dismissed. Harbaugh’s lowest-ranked class came in 2015, just months after taking the job at Michigan, when it finished 37th nationally. There is also a major disparity in the two coaches’ paychecks. Michigan pays Harbaugh a $7.5 million yearly compensation package while Dantonio earns $4.3 million. Michigan also doles out more in assistant coach pay, with a total of $14 million in coaching salaries for the 2017-18 season compared to $9 million for Michigan State over the same span. wrote:

Spending is a big difference, Gap on field has been smaller.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. Empty Re: Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting.

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am

Based on revenue/spending (and a correlation with winning), we should be behind OSU, UM, and Penn State every year.

The problem is losing to teams that are behind us in revenue/spending like Illinois (and Arizona State).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. Empty Re: Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting.

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am

I'd be OK with being in the top 20 in spending and finishes every year, not cheating, contending for a B1G East championship ever three years and never finishing below 9-3. Should that really be unattainable with the resources MSU has?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

Sounds like according to that article spending isn’t the answer? Michigan outspends us but the gap is smaller? Maybe the answer is just identifying up and coming coaches with energy for the job and acquiring them cheap. Sure they’ll use MSU as a spring board for a better job but as long as both parties benefit what’s the harm?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'd be OK with being in the top 20 in spending and finishes every year, not cheating, contending for a B1G East championship ever three years and never finishing below 9-3. Should that really be unattainable with the resources MSU has?

I don’t know. Michigan hasn’t been able to do that with double the money.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'd be OK with being in the top 20 in spending and finishes every year, not cheating, contending for a B1G East championship ever three years and never finishing below 9-3. Should that really be unattainable with the resources MSU has?

I’m slightly below that give me 8 wins a year with the occasional up year and a team capable of upsetting a top tier program.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 am

Is this what it feels like to be Iowa?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am

InTenSity wrote:Is this what it feels like to be Iowa?

We ain’t even Iowa, bro.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 am

College sports are broken anyway. The whole thing is fucked. Win one more ncaa tournament, then go university of Chicago style and turn the stadium into a research facility for grass and save your recruiting 15 year olds money.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:38 am

The other answer that saves big money is just cheat. For every 35k SUV you give a kid you save millions on recruiting lounges, facility upgrades and over paid assistants that just sit there with their thumb up their ass anyway. Also, it doesn't cost that much to print off a report card with a bunch of A's on it. Fuck the NCAA arms race just cheat.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:53 am

I don’t think they print report cards anymore steve I think it’s mostly on the internet now.

But that’s exactly why the whole thing is fucked and we should stop construction on munn and turn it into a research facility looking into how ice is made
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Do you two, and so many others have alzheimers or dementia?
Look I'm hot saying things are good, they suck; and that Coach D should stay but I'm not saying it's time to boot him either.

But Iowa - yeah they are having a better year, but their program hasn't accomplished shit in a decade, maybe more.
Last time they we conference co-champions is 2004 (with Steve's favorite UM) and the last time Iowa was the outright B1G champion is 1985.
Dantonio proved that MSU can compete for the B1G, and yes it was when Michigan sucked and PSU slumped.
IMO - what has hurt this years team, is exactly the problem the program had in the late 1980's right through the Johnelle years; and that is lack of depth.

If Dantonio goes then he goes - but whoever comes in has to have the mindset that they can win at MSU (not like the pissy little shit Saban who turned tail and left)

Maybe it is time for Coach D to leave, because I certainly don't want MSU to turn into Iowa and be happy with 2 or 3 place finishes and an occasional slip. FWIW Ferentz has averaged about 7.5 wins per year in his stint at Iowa, about 8 wins a year for the last 10 years....that is mediocre, and it isn't going to change (and they have done that playing in the B1G West)

Sorry - this has turned into a long ramble....but changing coaches will be a decision point for the leadership at MSU, will the new President and AD want to make a commitment to winning, or be like DiBiaggio and kick athletics to the curb?
I, for one, don't want to see MSU return to sports as they were under that type of leadership.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 pm

On the other hand the time that we won the big ten and went to the playoff Iowa was only like a yard away from being the one that won the big ten and went to the playoff so there’s that
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:
Do you two, and so many others have alzheimers or dementia?
Look I'm hot saying things are good, they suck; and that Coach D should stay but I'm not saying it's time to boot him either.

But Iowa - yeah they are having a better year, but their program hasn't accomplished shit in a decade, maybe more.
Last time they we conference co-champions is 2004 (with Steve's favorite UM) and the last time Iowa was the outright B1G champion is 1985.
Dantonio proved that MSU can compete for the B1G, and yes it was when Michigan sucked and PSU slumped.
IMO - what has hurt this years team, is exactly the problem the program had in the late 1980's right through the Johnelle years; and that is lack of depth.

If Dantonio goes then he goes - but whoever comes in has to have the mindset that they can win at MSU (not like the pissy little shit Saban who turned tail and left)

Maybe it is time for Coach D to leave, because I certainly don't want MSU to turn into Iowa and be happy with 2 or 3 place finishes and an occasional slip. FWIW Ferentz has averaged about 7.5 wins per year in his stint at Iowa, about 8 wins a year for the last 10 years....that is mediocre, and it isn't going to change (and they have done that playing in the B1G West)

Sorry - this has turned into a long ramble....but changing coaches will be a decision point for the leadership at MSU, will the new President and AD want to make a commitment to winning, or be like DiBiaggio and kick athletics to the curb?
I, for one, don't want to see MSU return to sports as they were under that type of leadership.

Well said.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Wally,

I don't often convey everything I'm saying and the thoughts in my head don't finish writing things all the time. I thought Iowa was starting to put things back together, but it took Ferentz a few years of sub 500 in order to make changes necessary. I agree with you, I'm not on team #Fire Dantonio, yet. Ultimately I think it is up to him to decide if he wants to stay on for another 3-4 years to rebuild again. Unfortunately I'm not sure how good the offense is going to be, and that needs to be fixed. We're also a pretty horrible fanbase. If we aren't winning, people don't show up to games, if it isn't a premier opponent we have trouble filling the stands. I guess most other teams go through the same thing.
Anyway, I'm rambling and not making much sense. In closing, I think that Dantonio gets to figure this out on his own. If he continues to stick with the same staff that isn't producing, than that falls on him. If he is willing to make the necessary changes and see it through for a few more years before passing the whistle to another coach, I'm good with that too.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

InTenSity wrote:Wally,

I don't often convey everything I'm saying and the thoughts in my head don't finish writing things all the time. I thought Iowa was starting to put things back together, but it took Ferentz a few years of sub 500 in order to make changes necessary. I agree with you, I'm not on team #Fire Dantonio, yet. Ultimately I think it is up to him to decide if he wants to stay on for another 3-4 years to rebuild again. Unfortunately I'm not sure how good the offense is going to be, and that needs to be fixed. We're also a pretty horrible fanbase. If we aren't winning, people don't show up to games, if it isn't a premier opponent we have trouble filling the stands. I guess most other teams go through the same thing.
Anyway, I'm rambling and not making much sense. In closing, I think that Dantonio gets to figure this out on his own. If he continues to stick with the same staff that isn't producing, than that falls on him. If he is willing to make the necessary changes and see it through for a few more years before passing the whistle to another coach, I'm good with that too.

I think we've had a pretty loyal fanbase throughout the years.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:39 pm

When there's a quality game we've showed up. I guess our fan base realizes there's better things to do than watch MSU vs a cup cake. Maybe let us drink in the stadium and we'll show up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm

steveschneider wrote:When there's a quality game we've showed up. I guess our fan base realizes there's better things to do than watch MSU vs a cup cake. Maybe let us drink in the stadium and we'll show up.

Historically...we've had a very loyal fan base (win or lose).

We've showed up for cupcake early season games.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 pm

All that $$$$ the SCummers spent & what do they have to show for it? 0 B1G Championships. 0 division championships. 0 wins against tO$U. They spent an assload on DickRod & Fred Flinstone too.

I'd say we've gotten a pretty good return on investment, even though it might be time to look to another elsewhere.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:When there's a quality game we've showed up. I guess our fan base realizes there's better things to do than watch MSU vs a cup cake. Maybe let us drink in the stadium and we'll show up.

Historically...we've had a very loyal fan base (win or lose).

We've showed up for cupcake early season games.

The biggest faction of the fanbase is the one who shows up for nice weather, big games and homecoming. They don't show up to the same games though. When this group of fans checks out and the weather is dicey it gets ugly in SS. Nov 30 will be ugly unless the weather really cooperates.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Dwags will be at SS 11/30/19. If it’s his last at SS, I’m going to make sure I’m there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:04 pm

By-Tor wrote: When this group of fans checks out and the weather is dicey it gets ugly in SS. Nov 30 will be ugly unless the weather really cooperates.
Oh you should be prepared for it to be ugly, very ugly
Glance at Stubhub or SeatGeek and you can buy all the $10-$15 tickets you want (and that is including the site fees)

Between the expectation for bad weather and the prospect of playing a team worse than MSU, apparently that is enough to set some people against coming to East Lansing for Thanksgiving Saturday.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:
By-Tor wrote: When this group of fans checks out and the weather is dicey it gets ugly in SS. Nov 30 will be ugly unless the weather really cooperates.
Glance at Stubhub or SeatGeek and you can buy all the $10-$15 tickets you want (and that is including the site fees)

Between the expectation for bad weather and the prospect of playing a team worse than MSU, apparently that is enough to set some people against coming to East Lansing for Thanksgiving Saturday.

The really extended forecast: High of 42° and 50% chance of showers.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Wally, MSU is a lot more like Iowa and Wisconsin than it ever will be like Big Ten East members OSU, PSU and umaa.

Kinnick has 5000 fewer seats than Spartan Stadium while Camp Randall seats 5000 more. That’s about equal. Both are n smaller population states but MSU shares MI with umaa so MI’s 10M population is split between the schools.

6 home games selling up to 35,000 (40,000 more in aa) pays for bigger recruiting budgets or high assistant coach salaries or both.

Ohio State is getting their money’s worth and while to date AD’s at State College and aa are paying big money for their football programs with the help of their stadiums without the results other Big Ten schools have seen with less.

Unless MSU finds its version of Phil Knight or umaa’s Ross it’s going to be a challenge to match Dantonio even with the last 4 seasons.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:

That sounds hideous.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

That sounds hideous.

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 pm

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

That sounds hideous.

Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. 502811600

Well she's a guy so
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:College sports are broken anyway. The whole thing is fucked. Win one more ncaa tournament, then go university of Chicago style and turn the stadium into a research facility for grass and save your recruiting 15 year olds money.

This. College sports have become so fucking grotesque.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:09 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28079797/notre-dame-sellout-streak-expected-end-273-games
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:25 pm

NigelUno wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28079797/notre-dame-sellout-streak-expected-end-273-games
They could hire David Brandon as a consultant, he made that problem disappear in AA. All it takes is a coke and a smile.
Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. 15912940-large
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm

NigelUno wrote:Based on revenue/spending (and a correlation with winning), we should be behind OSU, UM, and Penn State every year.

The problem is losing to teams that are behind us in revenue/spending like Illinois (and Arizona State).

The problem with this reasoning is it also means we should be losing to teams ahead of us every year. Which is not the case over MD's tenure.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Nordic wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Based on revenue/spending (and a correlation with winning), we should be behind OSU, UM, and Penn State every year.

The problem with this reasoning is it also means we should be losing to teams ahead of us every year. Which is not the case over MD's tenure.

Yeah. That's why he's been a great coach.

But, I don't think it's realistic to expect that to continue (or to expect it at all with a new coach). Not saying it won't happen, but when we're $50-60 million behind in revenue/spending than the 2 top teams? That's a lot.

If we're going to pop a team with greater resources than us, then we're probably occasionally going to get popped by teams which have less resources. Just the nature of the game. But 6-6 or 5-7 is a disappointment. No way around it.

If our baseline is 8-4 (+/-2), we can't hover around that lower end for a few years (and not take a hard look at the program).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Who hacked Nigels account?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:13 pm

DWags wrote:Dwags will be at SS 11/30/19. If it’s his last at SS, I’m going to make sure I’m there.
if I'm on campus, I'll swing by the DWags tailgate.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:Dwags will be at SS 11/30/19. If it’s his last at SS, I’m going to make sure I’m there.

Call ahead.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Deal. I’m a definite I think it’s his last game as a coach there. Wouldn’t miss it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: if I'm on campus, I'll swing by the DWags tailgate.

Call ahead.

:Interesting article on Harbaugh UofM vs. MSU spending on coaches and recruiting. 502811600 at least text. I’ll be there Nigel.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down