Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread: I hate taking starters out with two fouls.

+7
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
SawGreen
kingstonlake
aualum06
steveschneider
DWags
11 posters

Go down

I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  Empty I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread: I hate taking starters out with two fouls.

Post by DWags 2019-11-25, 19:48

Cash ended up with three vs VT. He does nothing for us on the bench. I hate that strategy. They give you five fouls, not two.

Till the next game Izzo takes a starter out with two and we need him in..... see ya.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  Empty Re: I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread: I hate taking starters out with two fouls.

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-25, 19:50

Those refs sucked. I felt like one ref was trying to fix the game for us and the other guy was trying to fix it for VT. No consistency at all.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  Empty Re: I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread: I hate taking starters out with two fouls.

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-25, 19:51

Also, to your point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Graham_Couch/status/1199124276734902272
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-11-25, 19:54

As a coach it's a trust thing and it takes time to work through. But I once had a player tell me coach why do you take me out with two by the time I get to back in the games probably going to be over. Just my two cents worth
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-25, 20:03

I don’t see sitting him being the problem. It’s who replaces him that is. If you reached a point where he picks up a third you’re looking a playing a good portion of the second half and possibly the end of the game with the Clarkston Flash as your point guard.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-11-25, 20:09

I'm sure there is a strategy to it, but for a player as smart as Cash, I don't get it. Also, I honestly think the refs subliminally know the state of things too.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-25, 20:24

kingstonlake wrote:I don’t see sitting him being the problem. It’s who replaces him that is. If you reached a point where he picks up a third you’re looking a playing a good portion of the second half and possibly the end of the game with the Clarkston Flash as your point guard.

Yeah, this is exactly right. I think we are starting to realize how good we had it with Tum tum.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-25, 20:27

kingstonlake wrote:I don’t see sitting him being the problem. It’s who replaces him that is. If you reached a point where he picks up a third you’re looking a playing a good portion of the second half and possibly the end of the game with the Clarkston Flash as your point guard.

If who replaces him is a problem. Then sitting him with two is a problem.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-25, 20:41

DWags wrote:

I can see it both ways. But with only 5 fouls? I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-25, 20:43

DWags wrote:

Rocket Watts has to get better fast and when Loyer is n the court he needs to be with 3 serious scoring threats.

Unlike Brighton HS, every team MSU faces has bigger, stronger, quicker guards to defend Loyer.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-11-25, 21:47

The guy who is not a serviceable player behind cash is the actual problem. But i agree.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-03, 22:28

Glad Tillman is on the bench. Rest up for the big run second half.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-12-03, 22:29

Henry too. Smh.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-03, 22:31

Resting em up. Our subs kept it close. We can do this.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-12-03, 22:33

I do not get the logic. I am not smart. Someone explain.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-12-03, 22:37

Wouldn't matter either way the way we're playing tonight.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-12-03, 22:56

For the most part I don't have a dog in this fight. But Tillman would of had 4 by half. Refs are in pace for 40 fouls tonight. And whoever is guarding Carey is getting called.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-03, 23:00

Cameron wrote:Wouldn't matter either way the way we're playing tonight.

I think having one of your leaders and all big ten players playing vs a freshman or sophomore with a broken nose might make a bit of a difference.

All I ever want to know is what difference does it make if he sits 13 minutes in the first half or if he eventually fouls out with ten minutes left in the second half? Throw Henry in there and have Loyer get a foul for taking a shoe to his chest, we’re not gonna be doing well.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-12-03, 23:09

Dwags, I agree.
However, it wouldn’t against the duke game. But I think you’re right and he needs to change that game plan the way things are going.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-12-03, 23:11

DWags wrote:

I think having one of your leaders and all big ten players playing vs a freshman or sophomore with a broken nose might make a bit of a difference.

All I ever want to know is what difference does it make if he sits 13 minutes in the first half or if he eventually fouls out with ten minutes left in the second half?  Throw Henry in there and have Loyer get a foul for taking a shoe to his chest, we’re not gonna be doing well.

End of basketball games are generally more important than  (less than) halfway through the 1st half.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-12-03, 23:17

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

All I ever want to know is what difference does it make if he sits 13 minutes in the first half or if he eventually fouls out with ten minutes left in the second half?  Throw Henry in there and have Loyer get a foul for taking a shoe to his chest, we’re not gonna be doing well.

End of basketball games are generally more important than  (less than) halfway through the 1st half.

Unless the team is threatening to blow you out in the first half. Then most of the second half is worthless
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-12-03, 23:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Unless the team is threatening to blow you out in the first half. Then most of the second half is worthless

We can go back and forth on this forever. Tillman wasn't lasting the half at the pace the refs were blowing whistles (on both sides). Generally I don't GAF either way, but you absotlutely had to pull Tillman in this situation. BTW, he came back in.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-12-03, 23:29

Nordic wrote:

We can play this game forever. Tillman wasn't lasting the half at the pace the refs were blowing whistles (on both sides). Generally I don't GAF either way, but you absotlety had to pull Tillman with two early in the first. BTW, he came back in.

Agree to disagree I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  969504605 I’m team live and survive for the moment not the 2nd half down 16
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-12-03, 23:46

Nordic wrote:

We can go back and forth on this forever. Tillman wasn't lasting the half at the pace the refs were blowing whistles (on both sides). Generally I don't GAF either way, but you absotlutely had to pull Tillman in this situation. BTW, he came back in.

None of them were the answer. They sucked so badly, it was their worst home game in 20 years (listening to the announcers).

No plan for Carey, mostly a 1 man game, shitty passes, shitty TO, shitty FT.... who can win with that?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-12-03, 23:56

Dendrobates wrote:
Nordic wrote:

None of them were the answer. They sucked so badly, it was their worst home game in 20 years (listening to the announcers).

No plan for Carey, mostly a 1 man game, shitty passes, shitty TO, shitty FT.... who can win with that?

You can't.

But it will be OK dendro I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  685334576
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-12-04, 00:03

Nordic wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

You can't.

But it will be OK dendro I’m gonna harp on this again this year so I’ll keep it In this thread:  I hate taking starters out with two fouls.  685334576

You’ll hold me, feed me awesome food, give me drinks, and tell me it will be ok?
Thats what I need to feel good about this...
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-04, 02:06

Tillman ended up with three fouls. Carey was killing us in the first half.

Izzo knows what he’s doing. I’m embarrassed I’m complaining about it. Maybe getting kithier and Bingham minutes will payoff big time. Funny, JJJ was there tonight. I remember being pissed when he would sit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-12-04, 09:16

DWags wrote:

All I ever want to know is what difference does it make if he sits 13 minutes in the first half or if he eventually fouls out with ten minutes left in the second half? Throw Henry in there and have Loyer get a foul for taking a shoe to his chest, we’re not gonna be doing well.

Henry had an awful game. As did Kithier.

Cassius needs at least 20 points for us to win games like this. They did a great job defending him.

This team misses Ward and Goins badly.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-04, 11:20

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Cassius needs at least 20 points for us to win games like this. They did a great job defending him.

As of December 3rd yes we do. Let’s see if we do March 1st.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-12-04, 11:55

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Going to miss them all season (in my highly regarded opinion).

No one can match Ward's post moves and Goins all around play. Kithier could become a Goins type player eventually (and maybe better).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-12-04, 12:34

Let's not forget McQuaid. We don't appear to have any lock down defenders right now. Offense was actually okay in the 2nd half, but we couldn't get a stop anywhere.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-12-04, 12:48

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

No one can match Ward's post moves and Goins all around play. Kithier could become a Goins type player eventually (and maybe better).

I noticed Johns is still only playing a few minutes for Michigan. He wouldn’t have helped much.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-12-06, 08:58

I’ve given this some thought and I think it’s better to put the player on the bench with fouls. To avoid picking up another foul the player will have to let up on defense and this gives the other team an advantage.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-12-06, 09:02

If izzo continues to do this as I’m sure he will i hope we will eventually have better options than kithier or loyer.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-12-06, 09:34

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I noticed Johns is still only playing a few minutes for Michigan. He wouldn’t have helped much.

He's in their 7-8 man rotation. Gets 15 or so minutes a game. Iggy took his playing time last year, and Wagner's lil bro is starting ahead of him this year.

He's not as good a shooter as Gabe. He wants to shoot 3s (which is fine), but I think he'd have to play more of an inside role for MSU.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down