Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mannie Retiring

+7
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
DWags
MiamiSpartan
Wally Fairway
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
11 posters

Go down

Article Mannie Retiring

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-13, 06:24

[tw]1227897563661074432[/tw]

Go have a blast, KM.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Mannie Retiring

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-13, 06:36

[tw]1227918154401243136[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-02-13, 06:48

Man you never really realize just how big football players are until you see a picture like that. Just look at the size of #6 behind Mannie’s head. An absolute beast.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2020-02-13, 09:04

Well that's a kick in the nuts.
Not a very nice way to welcome Coach Tucker

Hey Coach Mannie - thanks for all the years, best of luck!!!

Go Green
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-02-13, 09:13

Wally Fairway wrote:Well that's a kick in the nuts.

Go Green
I tend to think that, if he had really told people he would be retiring, then Tucker already knew before or soon after he got the job. And/Or Tucker wanted to bring his own guy.

Either way, Mannie has been the one constant on the sidelines for several regimes. His fire will be missed.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-13, 09:13

My funniest Mannie story.   Friend of mine, who posts on this board sometimes ahd a friend of his from high school who was dying of cancer.  My friend called me and asked me if I could get a ball signed by the football team so he could take it to the hospital for the guy.  At the time I had a kid I had coached in h.s. on the team.  Bobby was the coach.  I called up and said a friend would be dropping off a ball in the office could it get to the team and be signed for his guy.   Well, Pam, Bobby's secretary took it to the weight room because at the time a bunch of Spartans were in there lifting and others would come throughout the day.  The next day, my buddy picked up the ball.  The kid I had coached had signed it.  Well, about two weeks later, I asked the kid about it and thanked him.  He was back at our high school and in the weight room on a weekend.  He started laughing and said, when Mannie got the ball and the secretary explained what it was for, he blew his whistle and yelled, "Everybody get over here, some mother fucker is dying and you need to sign this ball".    Mannie Retiring 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-02-13, 10:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:Well that's a kick in the nuts.

Go Green
I tend to think that, if he had really told people he would be retiring, then Tucker already knew before or soon after he got the job. And/Or Tucker wanted to bring his own guy.

Either way, Mannie has been the one constant on the sidelines for several regimes. His fire will be missed.
Listening to the presser yesterday it sounded like MT is bringing his own guys, or has his own plans. There was a lot of it he was talking about the conditioning. Or that's what I thought I heard, I was playing Zombie Wars on a tablet while listening.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-02-13, 11:20

Mannie was at Toledo when Saban brought him to MSU. Saban tried to hire him to go to LSU and again when Saban got the Alabama job. Tressel offered when he tool over for Cooper at Ohio State.

In his md 60’s Mannie looked at the calendar and like Dantonio knew it was time to hand off to a new generation.

He is an intense individual. I’ve known some MSU players and asked them why was Mannie the strength coach on the sidelines for games. Everyone said they were more afraid of Mannie than other coaches. They loved Mannie but his presence “encouraged” them.

I’ll bet he still will wake up at 3:30-4:00 AM for 5:00 AM workouts for months, maybe years.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-13, 12:14

Thank you for the work Mannie. Time for a new era!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-13, 13:03

After a certain point in your career, breaking in a new boss isn't worth it. That might have been the issue.

Mannie isn't a spring chicken, this probably just helped him make the decision.

I hope it wasn't more than that. (Plus wouldn't Tucker have worked with Mannie back in the day?)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-13, 13:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Thank you for the work Mannie. Time for a new era!

This. We could find a few Spartans as loyal to MSU as Mannie, but nobody more than him. It’s time to go, past time, really, but his contributions are and will be the stuff of Spartan lore.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-13, 15:33

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Thank you for the work Mannie. Time for a new era!

This. We could find a few Spartans as loyal to MSU as Mannie, but nobody more than him. It’s time to go, past time, really, but his contributions are and will be the stuff of Spartan lore.

Not surprised. Even with the Fickell saga, there was talk about him bringing his strength guy. I would assume most bring their own guy, I definitely would. It is a testament to Mannie that he made it through so many coaching changes. Dude was a staple on the sideline. GL coach Mannie!

My Mannie story...

Took the kids to a spring game when they were little. We stuck around after to see some of the players and get autographs/pics, which was used simply as an ice breaker for the kids. A little less awkward then, "Hi, I'm Nordic, remember that time when you tackled that one guy?".

Anyway, I spot Mannie and go up to him and say, "hey coach Mannie, we workout too!". ROFL. He didn't say anything, just gave me the Mannie stare, but you could tell what he was thinking in his head.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-13, 23:49

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Not surprised. Even with the Fickell saga, there was talk about him bringing his strength guy. I would assume most bring their own guy, I definitely would. It is a testament to Mannie that he made it through so many coaching changes. Dude was a staple on the sideline. GL coach Mannie!

My Mannie story...

Took the kids to a spring game when they were little. We stuck around after to see some of the players and get autographs/pics, which was used simply as an ice breaker for the kids. A little less awkward then, "Hi, I'm Nordic, remember that time when you tackled that one guy?".

Anyway, I spot Mannie and go up to him and say, "hey coach Mannie, we workout too!". ROFL. He didn't say anything, just gave me the Mannie stare, but you could tell what he was thinking in his head.

Mannie Retiring 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down